Hiscox Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Hiscox CEO Bronislaw Edmund Masojada
Bronislaw Edmund Masojada

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "very flat structure, very high goals" (in 5 reviews)

• "Growing pains due to a rapidly growing company" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I'm genuinely proud to work here!"

Current Employee - Trainee Insurance Expert in York, England
    Current Employee - Trainee Insurance Expert in York, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great culture with an enjoyable environment.
    -Fantastic staff and training plan.
    -Fantastic building, modern with great amenities.
    -Staff and customer focused ethos.

I'm only 5 weeks into my employment here and have been refraining from reviewing Hiscox due to my limited experience so far. I do feel a bit better placed now to offer some honest feedback. This is arguably the best place to work in the UK, it ticks every box including boxes you didn't even know needed ticking. The recruitment process is brilliant and not daunting, there are fantastic opportunities to progress as long as you put some effort in and don't expect the world to present opportunities to you. The staff are brilliant, the work itself although challenging (particularly within business insurance) is so much more interesting than what i ever thought before. I simply cannot praise the place enough and if you are reading this unhappy in your job then apply. Even if you are not successful the process will give you a taste of what working for a decent company feels like and hopefully set you on the right path to being happy at work. If you are successful then I will see you at the pool table for a different kind of lesson.

Cons

If there are any I haven't found them yet.

Advice to Management

At this point I can only say congratulations and keep up the good work.

2. "IT Project Manager"

I have been working at Hiscox full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible working environment
    Good for working mothers as hours can be flexed and working from home options available.
    Friendly team

Cons

Male-dominated environment
    Maternity policy is pretty standard

Advice to Management

Actively seek to recruit women and people from ethnic backgrounds into senior management position. Although women in leadership is being promoted, the management team does not reflect true diversity in terms of race and ethnicity. In terms of maternity policy, a lot of companies offer 9 months paid maternity leave. It would good for Hiscox to up their game in that area if they truly want to be seen as encouraging their female staff back into work. Maybe consider offering child care provision.

"Would recomend"

I have been working at Hiscox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, lots of room for growth, friendly and outgoing staff with great benefits

Cons

Non so far! Honestly an amazing company.

Advice to Management

Nkne

"Fantastic Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Colchester, England
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Colchester, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really friendly and warm.
    Allows for flexibility
    Great benefits
    Everyone is friendly and willing to help with anything
    Good prospects to get stuck in and move up the ladder

Cons

The work is hard, keeps you busy.

5. "Disengaged workforce"

Current Employee - Group Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Group Employee in London, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance
    Good learning opportunities

Cons

Politics, politics, politics
    Progression only for those who shout the loudest - or are favoured by the people who have authority.
    Disengaged workforce is just getting worse.
    Terrible management across the business.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the ground to make decisions, do not make decisions and then force them on people when they won’t work.
    Practice what you preach - if you expect people in the business to behave a certain way, you should display these behaviours/traits yourself.

6. "Excellent fast-paced growing company"

Current Employee - DPD Operations
    Current Employee - DPD Operations

I have been working at Hiscox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Growing business with no sign of stopping
    -Projects available for any skillset
    -Flexibility to join projects best suited for your skillset
    -Excellent group of employees who go out of their way to help you
    -Video conference used frequently to bring teams together without travel
    -Leadership is top of the line and constantly communicating through All Staff emails letting you know the State of the Business or the vision for our future

Cons

-On-boarding was not very structured or well designed for people coming in with no insurance background
    -More of a 'figure it out as you go' structure rather than 'let me teach you things' (people WILL teach you things, but you need to proactively ask for help)

Advice to Management

More of the Management Team needs to communicate to the staff for updates and state of the business items. There's one exceptional leader but others need to follow suit. It helps keep the business connected and understand the larger picture. There are a lot of departments and hearing from Management at every level would help connect the dots.

"Not impressed so far"

Current Employee - Underwriting Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Underwriting Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Well respected name in the City
    - Salaries are similar to other competitors (you can get better elsewhere)

Cons

-Very difficult to progress with limited career opportunities.
    -London Market lacks inspiration for junior staff - often treated poorly by managers by being asked to do scanning and getting coffees.
    -Lack of training - people expect you to know what you don't know. There are dedicated learning and development people but they are asked to invest time in the "bigger picture" rather than individuals looking to expand their knowledge.
    - Distinct lack of consistency - some poor behavior is completely overlooked whereas others get extremely punished for very minor things.
    - HR team have a poor reputation - not trusted and not collaborative.

Advice to Management

Start training managers to actually develop their reports.

Hiscox Response

1 Mar 2019 – Head of Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your experience at Hiscox hasn't been a positive one. I would welcome the opportunity to learn more about your concerns. If you are will to... More

"Hiscox"

I worked at Hiscox full-time

Pros

People who make it a better place to work

Cons

Can become a segmented company

"Overrated"

Former Employee - Analyst in London, England
    Former Employee - Analyst in London, England

I worked at Hiscox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Option to work from home (but you need to have access to work emails on your mobile to be able to do this). Free coffee, biscuits, fruit and juice. The benefits are good.

Cons

I cannot help but wonder if some of the overly positive reviews on here have been planted. The internal engagement survey results and staff turnover in certain areas tell a very different story to what is being said here. I do think how happy you would be working at Hiscox can depend a lot on what area you work in or who you work for, and things were and still are far from rosy in the area I worked in.
    -The place was surprisingly old school in its mentality, quite 1990s
    -The company values were never mentioned and nowhere to be seen, what is the point of having them.
    -Lack of diversity, especially considering the London office is in one of the world's most diverse cities, you just do not see it when you enter the building.
    -Some people get paid a lot to do very little whilst others are not paid so well and do a lot, what is that all about Hiscox?
    -The structure is supposedly flat but not really, managers will pretend to be interested in what you have to say but either completely ignore it or start to ignore you if you turn out to be someone who would ever dare to disagree with them or challenge something they cannot be bothered to change.
    -A lot of arrogance amongst senior managers
    -No training or development support when I started, apart from some standard e-learning. This still has not changed some years later.
    -You can work from home but the in office hours were not that flexible in the area I worked in,
    I could go on but to summarise, Hiscox is a large place and there is no way the whole place is as wonderful and amazing as it is made out to be on Glassdoor. Some areas have it better than others.

Advice to Management

If you are able to look down here from your high horses and read this, please remember that it is 2019 and the Dickensian management style and ways of Hiscox might be attractive to certain types of people but you will lose out on the diverse range of talent out there. If you do not care about that and do not wish to change, at least stop pretending you do.
    Train people, it would have been useful to have an actual on-boarding process.

"Been here for 4 months"

Current Employee - IT Analyst
    Current Employee - IT Analyst

I have been working at Hiscox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary. Good work and life balance.

Cons

Diversity is the worst. Being the only ethnic minority person in my whole team of more than 30 people. I'm more paranoid now in case I do something wrong and get fired for it. I believe I was hired to try and mix things a bit. Too little to late.

I really like it here, but not sure I would stay long.

Advice to Management

As a FTSE 100 company. You need to look at diversity, not male and female diversity, but more ethnic variety as a priority.

Hiscox Response

9 Jan 2019 – Head of Recruitment

I’m sorry to hear about this. Diversity in all forms matters to us. Please contact me if you’d like to discuss this in more detail at recruitment@hiscox.com