Hiscox Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 295 reviews

4.2
Hiscox CEO Bronislaw Edmund Masojada
Bronislaw Edmund Masojada
Pros
  • "The work/life balance is highly considered and the staff are regularly involved in sessions to ensure this continues to improve(in 28 reviews)

• "Great working environment with friendly employees and management that actually wants their employees to succeed(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "They train really good underwriters but struggle retaining them(in 7 reviews)

• "Flat structure means career advancement is difficult/impossible in some areas of the business(in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I'm genuinely proud to work here!"

Current Employee - Trainee Insurance Expert in York, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great culture with an enjoyable environment. -Fantastic staff and training plan. -Fantastic building, modern with great amenities. -Staff and customer focused ethos. I'm only 5 weeks into my employment here and have been refraining from reviewing Hiscox due to my limited experience so far. I do feel a bit better placed now to offer some honest feedback. This is arguably the best place to work in the UK, it ticks...

Cons

If there are any I haven't found them yet.

Advice to Management

At this point I can only say congratulations and keep up the good work.

Hiscox2018-12-09

"Amazing place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for more than a year

Pros

Autonomy Self-development culture Continually evolving Unafraid to try new things Friendly, caring and considerate staff with a focus on excellent work/life balance

Cons

Meetings for meeting sake - they should be set at 30 mins maximum Complex structure means there can be too many stakeholders on certain projects slowing progress IT - not enough investment in the systems needed for people to do their job

Advice to Management

Set all meetings to be 30mins and stop people becoming too wordy Invest more in It - everyone is computer based so having the best technology will enable us to be better Keep up the "Hiscox culture" its excellent

Hiscox2019-05-09

"Not just a staff number!"

Current Employee - Complaints Handler in York, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Genuinely care about the wellbeing of their employees - Provide great perks with the job (Eg. contributions to gym memberships etc)

Cons

- I haven't been here long enough to have a definitive opinion on the negative aspects of Hiscox. - Based on location (York Office) it isn't easy to live near the office / York. House prices are extortionate within a 10 mile radius of York . If Hiscox could look at the commute staff make to work and see if they could help with this it would be great as a 1.5 hour commute (each way) really takes it out of you!

Advice to Management

Consider the impact of commuting in line with staff performance in contrast to staff that take less time to get to work (Is this because of salary and they can afford to live nearer? Other external factors?)

Hiscox2019-05-07

"Living the dream . ."

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Hiscox is a company that lives by their values and provides the opportunity for everyone to have voice. They have an innovative approach to change and values what technology adds to modernizing work processes.

Cons

The fast and enormous growth of Hiscox is both a pro and a con as change at times may be difficult to adapt; however, with growth comes opportunity!

Advice to Management

The unique culture and the acceptance of all is what makes Hiscox an employer of choice.

Hiscox2019-05-08

"Great place to work, but it's hard work"

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

-People, for the most part, are amazing. Incredibly driven, smart, and ambitious but we also know how to laugh and have a good time. -Challenging. Hiscox is not a place for the faint of heart. Takes drive, energy, and resilience and must be able to adapt with the constant changes. This is a pro but can also be a con. -Ability to have a direct impact on the business. This is the first company I've been with where I've...

Cons

Lean workforce means that while we each have the ability to make an impact, workload can sometimes be difficult to manage.

Advice to Management

Continue to be true to our values and to the culture that initially brought and has kept so many people here.

Hiscox2019-05-06

"Brilliant place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly and inspiring co-workers, lovely building and working environment, good employee perks/benefits, supportive management, one-to-ones every two weeks

Cons

I wouldn't say there were many except occasional group politics but this happens everywhere.

Advice to Management

Check that all team members are given equal opportunities for career development.

Hiscox2019-04-30

"My first six months at Hiscox"

Current Employee - Claims in Colchester, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for more than a year

Pros

The welcoming into Hiscox was amazing, and still to this day the new people I meet along the way are always open to conversation, no matter where they are placed within the business. The work/life balance is highly considered and the staff are regularly involved in sessions to ensure this continues to improve. There is a real family culture within the office. You are encouraged to develop and to take control of your own...

Cons

Parking at Colchester, dreary looking office but overall, no bad points

Advice to Management

Keep the morale as high as it is and continue to value the employee's and what they can bring to the business.

Hiscox2019-05-02

"Excellent company, professional and committed to development of its employees"

Current Employee - Development Underwriter in Colchester, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for more than a year

Pros

Professional, committed to development of employees, impressive benefits, clear short and long term strategy

Cons

None that I can think of

Hiscox2019-04-29

"IT Dept."

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in York, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Reasonable salary and excellent benefits. Flexible working and a degree of homeworking supported. Good opportunities to 'try' other areas via secondment and good opportunities for progression. Growing company with a great potential future.

Cons

A time of massive change in the company impacting office locations. Question mark over Agile methodology for infrastructure projects. Certain aspects of the business very London-centric.

Hiscox2019-04-29

"Forward thinking company that actually does care about its staff!"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I read the reviews before joining Hiscox, I thought they were an exaggeration but having worked here and a few other insurance companies prior, I can attest to the reviews being true....there are a few things that the company does to make staff feel cared for and appreciated....other than the Christmas hampers, there is a staff mini gym with clean and modern shower room that is free for staff and subsidised sports...

Cons

No company is perfect - if there was such a perfect place then the minute an imperfect human joined the company then it would no longer be perfect. So far I feel that Hiscox as a company wants to be the best and strives to do so.

Advice to Management

Keep striving. I was quite surprised at how open the employee survey feedback was (most companies give you a defined text to respond on and certainly don't publish the free text!....you were brave and published all the employee comments (good and not so good) and this then challenged management to do even better and to be accountable to the staff that report in to them.

Hiscox2019-05-01