Protiviti Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

1,194 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance with flexible hours" (in 225 reviews)

• "An amazing place to start a career without a doubt" (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • "keine Work-Life-Balance, sonst eigentlich nichts" (in 80 reviews)

• "Most new hires out of college are placed in the Internal Audit & Finance Advisory practice" (in 74 reviews)

1. "Hard Work is rewarded and pay is competitive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You get the opportunity to add value to engagements sooner than elsewhere
    - There are lots of opportunities for training and development
    - You are part of something, not just a number
    - Due to size, you are able to get more involved in a variety of activities

Cons

- At times there is a lack of guidance and/or formal support

Advice to Management

Despite being busy, ensure there are mechanisms in place to ensure senior members of the team have the time to support and train the junior ones

6 Feb 2018 – Senior Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are very glad you've enjoyed your time with Protiviti. We want to ensure our employees receive support and guidance in their career. Please communicate this with... More

2. "Trying to walk before we can run."

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office location is really desirable.
    The support team do a fantastic job.
    Lots of opportunities to transfer to other offices and experience working in a different country.
    Travel opportunities throughout your work are pretty good.

Cons

There's a lot of talk from the new People and Culture team but it has come at a price and there are too many mistakes. At least the previous team got things done!

Rumours that the office is 'cliquey' but lack of awareness from the leadership team that the MDs (in all solutions) are as bad as everyone else.

Advice to Management

Focus on the basics and get them working first.

20 Aug 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for sharing your views.

We do have a strong operations team, who all work very hard. Thank you for acknowledging.

I am however sorry to hear your comments about the People & Culture... More

"Awful"

I worked at Protiviti full-time

Pros

The location in the Shard is nice.

Cons

Looking for a certain type: white, male, average intelligence, floppy hair.

Advice to Management

Learn the meaning of diversity.

20 Aug 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for your email.

I would like to assure you that the company has a strong emphasis on diversity and inclusivity. Our team involved in recruitment have had recruitment training, in... More

"Bad experience in a company with boutique size and big4 defects"

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office location in the Shard is the only pro I can think about

Cons

Where to start??
    First and foremost the firms tries to compete with the Big4 or Big5 (including Accenture) without having the status and, even less, the capabilities. In the US they got some professionals of good caliber but speaking of the UK office I saw too much mediocrity, in particular but not exclusively at the director level (the sales force of the firm). It has been a huge challenge for me to get to find someone whose knowledge was beyond superficial (buzzwords and brochureware level). Delivery work has been a pure nightmare as all engagement are sold at low cost (as after all the directors realise that it is the only area where they can compete and win).

Advice to Management

Perhaps the main reason why so much mediocrity is found among the staff and the difficulty in filling openings has as root cause the uncompetitive compensation, a lot below the Big4 and most if not all other consultancies.
    Additionally having promotions criteria so sales-centric brings to the top of the organisation individuals who cannot understand or price a service as they have hardly delivered anything in their career. This also explains why so many services end up with skyrocketing actual costs, conveniently disguised by asking teams to charge much less than actual time at the expense of business development cost centers or employees spare time: damn, even contractors end up working 12 hrs/day!

4 Jul 2018 – HR Director

We do want to ensure our employees understand the strategy of the business and how our pricing structure works and I hope the recent Strategy Day has outlined our strategy and how our business... More

"Protiviti UK"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relative to Big 4 there is a very good culture, with a collegiate and co-operative environment. Growing fast and focus on delivery of good work rather than a sales mindset.
    Very flexible working and focus on getting job done rather than time in office.

Cons

Infrastructure and support processes (e.g. T&E and WIP etc) are archaic.
    Some growing pains in clarity of responsibilities and organisational structures.

6. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office culture, surprisingly high access to senior management up to Managing Director level. Having offices based in the Shard is certainly a head-turner. Decent work life balance - when you're not busy, nobody will call you out if you leave early, but equally, you may be expected to work some overtime.

Cons

Occasionally feel that because of the culture of collaboration and openness, that other employees are fake. In addition, the graduate programme isn't as well defined as it could be. Different people tell different stories about how promotion and evaluation works - some paint a very political picture whereas others talk about how it's all about high quality delivery.

Advice to Management

Be clearer on how the graduate programme works, how Talent Day (the 'promotion committee') works and also be more open about salary expectations at different levels - I've worked for Protiviti for 6 months, and am still guessing what my potential wage will be at various points in my career.

6 Mar 2017 – HR Director

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the office location and also that you appreciate the access that you have to the Senior Management team.
    I appreciate your feedback in regards to the graduate... More

"Poor culture not recommended"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a good mix of people and the salary pays a bit better than market and certainly more than Big 4

Cons

The culture is not as good as it could be: some of the consultants are great whilst others have a poor attitude and it is not really addressed by management due to the fact those individuals have been there a length of time.

There is a complete lack of structure and Support particularly above Manager level. No training is provided above that and also cannot compete with the training offered in other firms.

Some departments are better aligned than others. But some lack any focus at all.

I agree that promotion is unclear at it appears to be based on what you know not always on certain abilities. Key targets and achievements should be built into objectives and measure people more objectively against those standards to ensure consistency and fairness. This should then be standardised and moderated properly by HR in a more vigorous fashion

Advice to Management

Decide and focus on what it is you want the strategy to be

Built structure inc solid development and training programmes at all levels

Address poor performance and behaviour that does not drive a productive workforce

The environment is very strange which the firm tries to present as a family culture but it is not so that culture needs to be addressed. Can be quite gossipy and childish at times.

17 Mar 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback in regards to the Promotion and Training in the office. I recommend that you continue to work with your Advisor and your Engagement Leads to understand the attributes... More

8. "Too focused on sales"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great open culture and office location. Good people.

Cons

Not yet competitive with Big 4, generally getting the work that the Big 4 do not want and at much lower day rates. Unable to differentiate itself from competitors and a general unfocused strategy through which isn't clear in what the firm excels (if anything). Promotions only driven by sales potentials. Not necessarily focused on quality of the delivery (note: in fairness this applies to the whole consulting industry).

"Decent but room for improvement"

Pros

The people are by far and away the main positive about Protiviti. I have worked with some of the most intelligent and ambitious people I have ever met, most are truly invested in growing and developing the firm.

The MDs are always willing to listen to your concerns or ideas, there isn't always an immediate solution, but they will at least hear you out.

As people I feel we are more valued as individuals than at the Big 4, the MDs actually care about what you want to be doing and where you want your career to go. Again, this isn't always possible as client needs come first, but it's something that's open for discussion.

The new UK lead MD has come in and is trying to really understand what we need as individuals and as a whole. He has spoken to the whole firm individually to get to the bottom of people's gripes and moans and appears to be trying to effect change to support us. Watch this space...

Cons

Most of the same internal politics that you'd get anywhere at the Big 4, you do have to just suck it up. It's 70% do your job really well, 30% play the game. You have to accept that this is the career we've chosen and that i don't think that is going to change.

We are heavily reliant on people, busy people, who don't always have the time to think about the best approach and things slip through the cracks.

Formal training and development is somewhat lacking, there are efforts to address this, but nothing so far has actually materialised. I realise that when people are training they aren't chargeable, but there has to be a balance and at the moment it's off.

Advice to Management

We need to recruit, we are heavily understaffed and there's nobody with time to really help develop the people we have. Perhaps a more proactive approach to recruitment would help us feel less like we're treading water barely surviving!

Invest in training. We are an office of (mostly!) excellent, ambitious people truly dedicated to growing the firm. Train and develop us properly or we may start looking for organisations that will.

10. "Great culture, slow development"

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

Great culture and people, really fun place to work

Cons

General cons of any consulting company. Difficult to progress and really have to sell yourself for promotions

Showing 1,194 of 1,294 reviews