Swinton Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.1
Swinton Insurance CEO Gilles Normand
Gilles Normand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They are very flexible in work/life balance" (in 10 reviews)

• "great people to work with, we all worked as a team" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "policies is that calls overflow to them when the call centre is busy" (in 16 reviews)

• "Head office location not the easiest to get to" (in 16 reviews)

"A transforming business with an exiting future!"

Current Employee - Manager - Swinton Business (Regional Network)
    Current Employee - Manager - Swinton Business (Regional Network)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A business going through modernisation with strong leadership - not afraid to make tough decisions to ensure stability and sustainability. A customer centric, resilient and loyal work force who are well equipped to take the business to the next level!

A business that encourages and promotes diversity at every level.

Cons

Relentless change - albeit required to bring the business into the 21st century. It would be nice to see a period of consolidation to embed to changes.

Getting things right the first time - too many changes implemented without the involvement of the people at the coal face.

Unfortunately In the past we have had people making decisions for areas of the business in which they had little understanding - I am pleased to say that there have been significant improvements in this area over the last couple of years.

Advice to Management

Clear, transparent and honest communication required to ensure that people are well informed and well prepared for further changes within the business.

Share the vision and the strategy to ensure employee engagement and buy in!

Continue to make the right changes required to ensure the future of what is an iconic brand. No more knee jerk implementation of processes that are not fit for purpose - continue to learn from the mistakes made in the past

2. "Good working culture"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Manchester, England

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training
    Great people
    Flexible working hours

Cons

Processes change too often
    No commission structure but expected to sell

19 Sep 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for your comments, we are glad you enjoy working with us at Swinton.

"Happy memories but sad ending"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked for company for nearly 20 years and by and large enjoyed nearly every minute. Great co-workers. Easy system to learn. Nice range of products, and a lot of lovely customers. Staff treated very well with flex time for working Saturdays plus option to buy more holiday, Ride to Work schemes, healthcare etc. Lots of happy memories. Until things started to go a bit wrong.

Cons

The FSA fines. Gave ammunition to Swinton’s competition to criticise our service - something I actually witnessed. A real shame.
    Late nights. The staff hated them. Most of the customers hated them because we would be calling them just as they were getting in from a hard days work or sitting down to have their tea plus it made for a long day which actually demoralised the whole branch - the only time I saw that happen.

Advice to Management

Seriously reconsider high street branches. I appreciate a lot of this is down to money but I spent a couple of horrific weeks working for a rival broker after I initially left and a large number of people were coming in saying how much they missed Swinton. The high street is collapsing around us - you have the brand name to help pull the high street back into shape. There are other brokers in the town I worked who are thriving so I don’t see why the same shouldn’t apply to Swinton.
    My ratings below are based on my time with the company not how it is now as obviously I don’t know how things are these days.

"Things are going downhill"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Manchester, England

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that remain are still passionate and keen for the company to succeed.

Cons

Cost cutting has gone to the point of negligence.
    Lack of coherent joined up strategy.
    Constant tactical fixes.

13 Sep 2018 – Social Media Manager

Hi, thank you for your review.

5. "Customer Service Advisor experience"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Manchester, England

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lovely and helpful trainers and managers for the most part.
    Great support network.
    Made to feel my opinion mattered.
    Was told I could progress if wanted (Wasn't there long enough to find out)

Cons

Not the job to do if you have young children who need you and have school holidays, plays etc. Wasn't as flexible as I'd been led to believe.
    Favouritism of sorts. I was told off for switching my phone off while leaving the break room (before setting foot near any desk) yet my fellow trainees had their phones in their pockets switched on, sending texts etc and nothing was said.
    The system kept crashing and you had to sit there until it was fixed. I'd have happily lent a hand somewhere else until it was resolved.
    Stingy breaks. I'd prefer my hour in one go at lunchtime. Not everyone smokes.
    Fibs about no target selling. There are targets (and warnings if you don't comply).
    If you need help while speaking with a client you are kept waiting for ages sometimes.

Advice to Management

Think about contacting people who left due to personal or family issues. The problem may have been resolved and they'd like to give Swinton another shot. I genuinely enjoyed my time there and would possibly think about returning. Honestly I'm not expecting you to chase people for work (let's face it you don't need to) but maybe just an email a few months down the line may help confidence wise.

28 Aug 2018 – Social Media Manager

Hi, thank you for your feedback.

We are sorry that we were unable to be as flexible as you would have liked, and that you experienced some inconsistencies in the application of rules. Obviously... More

6. "QA"

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time

Pros

Department really cared about the work they were doing.

Cons

Very easy to become blinkered within own department (change was happening so this may not be the case anymore)

Advice to Management

Keep caring about your people.

19 Sep 2018 – Social Media Manager

Hi, thank you for your review.

We understand that it has been a difficult time due to the changes at Swinton, but these have been an essential part of a review of how we operate. This has meant we... More

7. "Great"

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time

Pros

Everything and most things we're great

Cons

Commission structure changed less money made me lwave

19 Sep 2018 – Social Media Manager

Hi, thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your time at Swinton but sorry you felt you had to leave us!

Good luck with your career and thanks again,

The Swinton Team

"Best company I’ve worked for"

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time

Pros

Management that really look after you and appreciate the work being done on the front line. Lots of additional training, personnel development and career progression available! I hope to be at Swinton for many years to come

Cons

Temperature regulation of the building, other than that can’t think of any stand out cons.

28 Aug 2018 – Social Media Manager

Hi, thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you are enjoying your time with us at Swinton!

The Swinton Team

9. "Very good training given, difficult to progress"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Horsforth, England
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Horsforth, England

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was there 5 years, in that time the training was very good. For somewhere to learn good customer service you can’t fault them

Cons

Very little progression. Even if you’re great at the job, they’ll always promote the face that fits

Advice to Management

Stop with the clique

28 Aug 2018 – Social Media Manager

Hi, thank you for your feedback.

We are glad that you found the training useful, however we are sorry to hear that you do not think we promote people according to their ability. We endeavour to... More

"Awful employer"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Manchester City Centre, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at Swinton Insurance (Less than a year)

Pros

Some great benefits available
    Good shift pattern

Cons

Excessive targets - £15 income per call and 16% for optional extras (home emergency and car breakdown). The motor insurance product is very uncompetitive so unlikely you will ever achieve their revenue targets.

Everybody is on a different salary package. For example, I was offered £18K and a friend of mine joined 4 weeks later on a salary of £21K. There were people on my team who were on less than £18K.

The pay progression they have in place requires you to achieve at least a strong rating every 6 months - to get a strong rating, you need to hit the excessive sales targets.

Be warned, do not join this company unless you want to be dismissed in a short period of time.

Advice to Management

Start treating people like human beings.

19 Sep 2018 – Social Media Manager

Hi, we're sorry you did not enjoy your time at Swinton. If you would like to discuss any of these issues with us, please contact us directly on 0161 233 3850.

Thanks,