Swinton Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.1
Swinton Insurance CEO Gilles Normand
Gilles Normand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They are very flexible in work/life balance" (in 10 reviews)

• "great people to work with, we all worked as a team" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "This toxic attitude along with a senior management team’s constant lies will be what drives the company into the abyss" (in 20 reviews)

• "policies is that calls overflow to them when the call centre is busy" (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good working culture"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Manchester, England

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training
    Great people
    Flexible working hours

Cons

Processes change too often
    No commission structure but expected to sell

19 Sep 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for your comments, we are glad you enjoy working with us at Swinton.

We understand that it has been a difficult time due to the changes at Swinton, but these have been an essential part... More

2. "Great"

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time

Pros

Everything and most things we're great

Cons

Commission structure changed less money made me lwave

19 Sep 2018 – Social Media Manager

Hi, thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your time at Swinton but sorry you felt you had to leave us!

Good luck with your career and thanks again,

The Swinton Team

3. "More changes due at Swinton"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Progressive outlook, always aiming to improve things for customers. Staff bonus paid even when profit objective not met.

Cons

Sometimes too many stakeholders try different things to improve things when perhaps a longer term relaxed approach may be better.

Advice to Management

Remember how much teams have had to deal with over past few years, be easy on your demands.

"Customer Assistance Employee"

Current Employee - Complaint Lead in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Complaint Lead in Manchester, England

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some decent people remain, salary, hours and flexability all ok.

Cons

No plan or vision. Good people being driven out and an HR dept that couldn't care less about it's people.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff. They are leaving in droves for a reason.

"Okayish"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexible work pattern after probation
    - Friendly work colleagues

Cons

- Not a regular bonus, and may be removed
    - Managers can too often be cliquey
    - Too many processes to follow to meet compliance
    - Progression is very limited

Advice to Management

Provide a clear path for progression, it is not all about the salary but work satisfaction.

6. "Sales executive"

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Communicate was very poor

Advice to Management

Tell people what was going on

1 Nov 2018 – Social Media Manager

Hi, we work hard to make sure all our colleagues are kept up to date with developments and plans across the business, either through iLink or local briefings. We are sorry that you did not feel you... More

"Employee number not name"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Colchester, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Colchester, England

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The office was a stones throw away from my address. Manager was evil. Company is a joke

Cons

All staff are treated horrendously. The business is going internet based and so getting shot of all loyal hard working members isn’t going down well. Pay is disgusting. Poor time off. Forced to sell rubbish policies like home emergency!!

Advice to Management

Get out while you can

Hi,

We are really sorry to hear that you feel unhappy with behaviour at Swinton. We expect high standards of behaviour and professionalism from all our colleagues with no exceptions. If you would... More

"Terrible company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Torquay, England
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Torquay, England

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The customers were all pretty good

Cons

Long hours , bad pay , no respect for staff The two managers I had were terrible and did nothing , double standards , I complained as did many others but they closed ranks . Basically they just do not care unless you are a manager who they believe every word .My ex colleagues all had bad experiences and were or are never listened too ! .My ex manager spent most of her day on her mobile phone on dating sites barking out instruction to answer the phone if you dared to go to the toilet !

Horrendous place to work .

I worked for the company for many years and my last manager was a total Joke , how she got the job I will never know . She had zero people skills and asked the staff to help her with any task her manager gave her and then took the credit .I do actually believe she was the most unintelligent person I’ve ever met .She used her authority to do what she wanted , total unprofessional .She spent most of her day on her mobile on dating sites and chatting to anyone about everything but work , her friends and other managers , usually total rubbish , which we had to endure ! so humoured her .she was late 3 out of 5 days and NEVER got into trouble but was quick to fudge evidence to stitch up staff when the figures were not going well . She manipulated management which was easy as they rarely visit branches and have know idea what goes on .All the staff disliked her and nothing was ever done , the upper management sweep everything the staff say under the carpet but believe every word the branch manager says .They make people feel ill and have no respect or care for staff , this is a constant theme from many employees I’ve known over the years .Worst company I’ve ever worked for and treated me and others very badly or should I say the supposed manager who was in charge of us did !

Advice to Management

Look at the branch managers who do absolutely nothing for twice the pay of the staff and take all the credit .its rife they all stick together , chatting on the phone , taking liberties with time and double standards towards staff , I should know I put up with two terrible managers for 6 years .

Hi,

We are really sorry to hear about your experience and would like to speak to you further about this. We expect high standards of behaviour and professionalism from all our colleagues with no... More

"Not as described at Interview!"

Former Employee - CSA in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - CSA in Manchester, England

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office and initial training was good.

Cons

Seems very clicky. Other CSA's desperate to leave. Mentor was rude.

1 Nov 2018 – Social Media Manager

Hi, we're sorry that you felt your job was not as described. Did you speak to anyone about the mentor? If not we would like to discuss this with you to see if there is any action we can take. Please... More

"Happy memories but sad ending"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked for company for nearly 20 years and by and large enjoyed nearly every minute. Great co-workers. Easy system to learn. Nice range of products, and a lot of lovely customers. Staff treated very well with flex time for working Saturdays plus option to buy more holiday, Ride to Work schemes, healthcare etc. Lots of happy memories. Until things started to go a bit wrong.

Cons

The FSA fines. Gave ammunition to Swinton’s competition to criticise our service - something I actually witnessed. A real shame.
    Late nights. The staff hated them. Most of the customers hated them because we would be calling them just as they were getting in from a hard days work or sitting down to have their tea plus it made for a long day which actually demoralised the whole branch - the only time I saw that happen.

Advice to Management

Seriously reconsider high street branches. I appreciate a lot of this is down to money but I spent a couple of horrific weeks working for a rival broker after I initially left and a large number of people were coming in saying how much they missed Swinton. The high street is collapsing around us - you have the brand name to help pull the high street back into shape. There are other brokers in the town I worked who are thriving so I don’t see why the same shouldn’t apply to Swinton.
    My ratings below are based on my time with the company not how it is now as obviously I don’t know how things are these days.