Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.3
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is incredible (in 66 reviews)

• Free food catered in at least once a week (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is harder to achieve purely because the program is so involved, and needs to cover a huge range of hours (in 17 reviews)

• Zillow has been working hard to be more diverse and it is apparent in most of the department's, except for inside sales (in 10 reviews)

1. "Business Consultant"

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

Great Pay,Great Environment, Great Benefits

Cons

Does not want high level sales

Advice to Management

Keep the people that provide high level sales experiences.

18 Oct 2017 – Vice President, Premier Agent Sales

Thank you for the review. Glad to see you saw potential in the opportunity as a business consultant and enjoyed the culture. If you have further feedback, please feel free to email... More

2. "A great company, but beware of what job you accept"

Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

Great People
    Fun Work Environment
    It's a very strong team environment, competition is encouraged, but only to make the job more fun

Cons

Long hours, including weekends
    Never felt fulfilled or challenged with work

Advice to Management

Management is all great, they do their best to make a dull, repetitive job more challenging. As the company is awesome, I'm sure working in a different department with different hours and more responsibility would make for a much better experience.

"great place to work"

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

everything is good, nice company location

Cons

not found, everything is good

17 Oct 2017 – COO

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you liked it here! - Amy (COO)

"Great thing turned rotten, especially in IT"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Zillow and Trulia have some of the best people I've every worked with. They are smart, motivated, eager and generally good at their jobs. The CEO is very engaged and understands the business from the top to bottom.

Cons

The ability to collaborate and come up with solutions as a group, while taking provide and ownership in it was one of the best things about working at Zillow. The IT / Ops team got a new leader over a year ago and the turmoil, negativity, lack of self-awareness since then has been clearly impactful on the team and everyone they work with. Decisions are not collaborated, there is a preference to run them the "amazon way" where it's if you don't get done what needs to get done, you get replaced. The heart and soul of what makes Zillow work has been destroyed by a leader who is only concerned about fulfilling his own career goals and no one else. Career development, ownership and drive have all gone out the window of what makes Zillow great. Working there today doesn't give me the same satisfaction that it used to.

Advice to Management

Clearly employees in that team are unhappy and turning a blind eye to everything that's going on isn't working. Where there is smoke there's fire. Realize that the leadership team in that IT group doesn't fit the culture of the company and stop watching people leave because of culture issues. It is painful seeing great employees leave. Current employees will not refer potential candidates to the group when they don't want to be on the team themselves.

5 Oct 2017 – CTO

I am sorry you feel like there is less collaboration and more turmoil on the team and in working with other groups. We certainly value cross team relationships and product ownership, and I see that... More

"Senior Client Engagement Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow (More than a year)

Pros

Management - The senior management and Team Leads in this department genuinely care about the success of their people and the org. Specifically, JR, the VP of Client Experience, has the ability to make the people under him feel valued and respected. Although he manages an org of over 400 people, he makes his face known by everyone and has always been personable. Since day one, he has made great effort and succeeded in making much needed changes, most notably adding the senior position to provide more opportunity for reps to grow.

Fast Paced Environment- There never seems to be dull moment in this department. This company is driven to provide the best product and service to our clients. Therefore, processes are always updated resulting in an atmosphere that is dynamic and enjoyable.

Values- Zillow Group has a strong set of core values that are adapted from top, down. This company is persistent in their values and continue to embody them in all aspects of their work.

Cons

There no downsides. Some may consider the hours and days of operation a downside of this position. However, I enjoy working 4-10s and have no problem coming in on the weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! We appreciate the emphasis you place on ensuring that employees are happy with their work place and the emphasis you place on helping us all grow in our careers!

Zillow Response

25 Sep 2017 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the great review! I am so glad that you are having a good experience here.

We can always do better as a company. I am excited for the rollout of our "Owner's Manual" which will focus... More

"Good working environment"

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

good working environment
    work life balance

Cons

well the company is getting bigger and bigger than before

27 Sep 2017 – COO

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you had a great experience while here. - Amy (COO)

"Great company overall, personal experience depends on the team."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They still embrace the start up culture, though many departments run like an established corporation. Great perks, if you're on the right team you'll be supported, mentored, and pushed to succeed. There's a lot to learn, room to grow.

Cons

White, male dominated culture. There are lots of other kinds of people, but the upper management is hooked into the frat culture of sales. This gives the feeling of working for a white fraternity. You need to be extroverted to get promoted (being white or male helps too).

Advice to Management

You're doing so many things right. I still gave the company five stars because the con's I've outlined here you're already aware of. I love the D & I work you're doing now, I wish you luck. Please do not give up and become (revert back to being) a white male frat tech company.

27 Sep 2017 – COO

Thank you for your feedback and 5-star review. I’m glad you overall enjoyed your time here.
    I’m also disappointed to hear your comments on the culture in the sales org while you were here... More

9. "Associate Client Engagement Specialist"

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Amazing people, abundance of learning/ training/ growth opportunities, employees are treated well and has an encouraging culture!

Cons

Every job has it's difficulties, especially when dealing with people/ consumers, but the positives greatly outweigh the few difficult moments.

25 Sep 2017 – VP, Client Experience

Hi, thanks for these thoughtful comments. I appreciate you see our customers as our North Star, even though sometimes we have to have difficult conversations with them. I'm glad you called out the... More

10. "Great Culture and Workplace"

Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Zillow has an amazing culture and set of values. The longer I work here the more I see new ways which they live up to those values. I both feel appreciated and listened to by my coworkers and superiors. And the pay and benefits are, also, pretty amazing.

Cons

I really haven't experienced any.

22 Sep 2017 – VP, Client Experience

Hi, thanks for this stellar review! Our values are key to our success, so its great to hear we're living up to them (or at least striving too). Call us out when we don't! That's critical. If you have... More

"Best Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- There's something special about a company that truly believes and cares about their employees. The Learning & Development team along with the People team have truly shined throughout all of Zillow Group.
    - "Own it" is a core value and they really mean it.
    - Benefits are spectacular
    - There are so many teams a different kinds of people working here, you can really find a community and niche.

Cons

- "Own it" can also be a con ... Too much of this, and there isn't enough structure or leadership to actually get things done properly
    - "Move Fast, Think Big" sounds great in theory, but when moving *too* fast, you miss the details and process that can be crucial to great success. I'd love to move quickly without hacking things together or putting band-aids over things that could use more of an overhaul or thorough thought process.
    - Discretionary Time Off is wonderful, but really isn't the same across the company. Each manager is different and therefore unlimited DTO varies.

Advice to Management

Talking amongst one another and truly listening to your employees and taking action. Process and transparency are absolutely key in creating a successful project, initiative and product.

27 Sep 2017 – COO

Thank you for your review and detailed feedback. I appreciate all you have shared, and will share it with others! I'm glad you are happy here! - Amy (COO)