Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 18 Oct 2019

3.9
Zillow CEO Rich Barton
Rich Barton
Pros
  • "We also get a lot of vacation time which is nice, as Zillow really cares about it's employee's Work/Life balance(in 97 reviews)

• "You can't deny that Zillow has pretty great benefits(in 57 reviews)

"Agenda"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamestown, Highland, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Zillow part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people and easy to make friends

Cons

Management not nice and on career path

Advice to Management

be nice

Zillow2017-12-04

December 20, 2017Zillow Group Representative

Thanks for your feedback. I am glad you found it easy to make friends at Zillow. I would like to understand more around your comment on management, please reach out to me @ dans@zillowgroup.com . We have multiple ways that someone can get support if they have concerns with management so I want to know if there was more we could have done to support you. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

2. "Amazing, transformative company with roots in consumer empowerment"

Current Employee - Senior Director, Information Technology in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great, intelligent, caring people. Opportunities to develop career, be part of an organization that is truly changing the industry. Leadership that is true to stated values.

Cons

A company that continually changes like Zillow can be challenging, and requires flexibility and discipline to be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep true to how Zillow started.

Zillow2019-10-19
  3. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Los Angeles, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Started working at Zillow and have been promoted within short time. Amazing benefits. Free snacks. Good work environment

Cons

Still navigating through the hoops to achieve my career goals.

Zillow2019-10-12
  4. "Computer vision"

Current Employee - Senior Applied Scientist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture work life balance and great project

Cons

The company as a whole is not as much technology oriented as Google

Zillow2019-09-29

October 10, 2019Chief Analytics Officer

Glad to hear you're excited about our computer vision work which is being applied in several different application areas. And, yes, we work hard to build a collaborative, energetic, employee-centric culture, so I'm glad to see you call it out as important. Since I sit within data & analytics, I find most of my daily work involves technology and science-related issues and decisions, and I can't comment on the comparison of your particular experience here relative to that at another company. Probably worth noting that your specific comparison is between what I think of as more horizontal (across business sectors) versus vertical (within a specific business sector) businesses, and vertical businesses often tend to have more involvement in the physical world. This deeper involvement in the physical world comes with additional areas of focus and competency (relative to horizontal businesses) which means technical focus is just one of many necessary pillars. But, IMO, these physical world considerations create the need for even more interesting technical and analytical solutions (e.g., putting a price on a home that you're willing to stand behind with your own $ and then managing the risk associated with that decision). So, pros and cons to those two types of businesses IMO. Happy to talk more with you in person if you'd like sometime. - Stan

5. "No longer a tech company"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong focus on equity and belonging is transforming many aspects of the company. Much work has gone into modernizing the tech stack, so depending on the team you might find you tool chain and frameworks pleasant to work with. (warning is still loads legacy lying around.. just depends on the team) Lots of opportunity to move up through the ranks with so many departures. As a new employee you maybe be... able to negotiate a nice package. This is critical because after your in HR will clamp down hard on your compensation adjustments, even for top performers. Many of us joke we should leave to a start up for a few months then come back in order to get a raise.

Cons

So many people leave we have dubbed Fridays as "Farewell Fridays". Massive cost cutting is happening everywhere. Most of the perks that existed when I started are long gone. If you are coming from a non tech company the current benefits are probably par of the course. Just think of Zillow as a traditional Real estate company now and not a tech company. At the time of this writing Zillow is hemorrhaging... money in the Zillow Offers business and seems to be cutting everything possible to slow the bleeding. Related, if you are working in a part of the company not focused on the Offers business expect to be severely resource constrained. I suppose you could romanticize this as the rest of the business is getting lean and might rekindle a "start up feel" .. just a start up without much funding or perks... Many people do not know what they working on. There are secretive vague ideas and seemingly quarterly org changes. Many in the "know" have little to no roadmap or direction to share with most of their team. Of many parts of the company it feels like they don't want the stigma of layoffs so instead they are cutting benefits, lowering bonuses, etc in order to force people out. Multiple manages have discussed waiting for certain people to leave.

Advice to Management

Wow.. I mean it's basically a dumpster fire. I feel like every since the CEO change its been. rapid down hill fall. If I had to suggest just one thing it would be bring back "turn on the lights" as a core value in practice not in name only. Trust is lost on a massive scale here.

Zillow2019-10-18

"BUDGET CUTS GALORE"

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free snacks. Amazing people. Good core values.

Cons

CONSTANT BUDGET CUTS. Cancelled ZG Week, OK. I get it, it isn't practical. Reduce EOM lunches, OK. Understandable. But to make the annual holiday party way earlier, on a Thursday, and with NO PLUS ONES is completely disrespectful to all the employees that work so hard to make this company profitable. This time they cut the wrong corner, and it is only for the Seattle office because we are so large. So we get... punished because we are growing (while smaller offices get to bring plus ones to their parties)? They say they can't accommodate plus ones because there are so many of us, but that is untrue because companies like Amazon and Facebook still manage to achieve this with way more employees. People are probably going to be looking elsewhere at companies that don't disrespect their employees like this.

Advice to Management

Advice to management is to be smarter about budget cuts. We get that this is a business. But when you make seriously unpopular changes to the most anticipated event of the year, it comes off as disrespectful, NOT tactful. People are mad and you can hear it on every single floor.

Zillow2019-10-11

"Fantastic Company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic at allowing you to grow as an engineer. Great work-life balance.

Cons

Not a lot of cons. There are some stressful times, but that's the nature of software development. Does a great job at making sure it's not too stressful.

Zillow2019-09-03

September 19, 2019CTO

Thanks for sharing your positive experience working at Zillow Group. I know a lot of people share your enthusiasm for the company and what we doing. Career growth and work-life balance are indeed important parts of our engineering culture. If you ever feel the stress of the important work you and your team are doing reaches a point of concern, please work with your manager(s) and team members to discuss this. We like the fast pace and high intensity of our work, but this is a long journey and not a sprint. Thanks again. - David

8. "Great stepping stone"

Current Employee - Success Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing benefits , decent work culture with your coworkers, and it’s an incredible resume builder

Cons

The company is moving in a direction that doesn’t have real estate agents (our main source of income and clients ) in the best interest. It’s become harder and harder to keep up with the vision that’s slowly turning the real estate industry against them.

Zillow2019-09-03

September 5, 2019Director, Agent Care

Thank you so much for your review and for taking time to share this feedback. Great agents are a key part of our customer transaction and we don’t think agents are going anywhere: They personalize the experience, they add local expertise, they act as personal transactional guides in the most complicated and emotional transaction many people ever experience. We believe we need partners to transform real estate, and that means we're excited about working with partners who are as committed to delighting the consumer as much as we are. You are seeing that materialize in our innovations in the Premier Agent business like Flex, Best of Zillow, and live connections between consumers and agents. We empower our employees to give continuous feedback to their leaders on their interaction with customers so we can continue to iterate and improve the agent experience. I encourage you to reach out to me to discuss further – your opinion is valuable. Nate Erisman, Director - Agent Care

"Thought I would retire here but things changed drastically"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Denver, CO

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No micromanaging as long as you did what was expected of you. Very nice and comfortable work stations.

Cons

When Zillow took over Trulia the atmosphere slowly changed and not for the better. Revenue is brought in by the sales teams and when you continually raise quota with the same payout as the original quota it really puts a bad smell in the air and the writing on the wall was very clear. Zillow has turned corporate greed into an art form. I was once proud to say I worked for Trulia/Zillow and now I am embarrassed... when I talk to my Realtor friends. I am truly glad that I escaped when I did.

Advice to Management

I have no advice because it would fall on deaf ears.

Zillow2019-09-04

September 14, 2019Senior Director, Premier Agent Sales

Thank you for your review. I’m disheartened to hear of your experience and perspective of your time employed by Zillow Group. Our intention is to create a high performance sales culture, aligned with our consumer first mission, as well as always provide the environment for all voices to be heard. I would’ve loved the opportunity to hear from you directly. If you’re still open to connecting, please reach out at 206-348-1794. Ann Sobil, Senior Director, Zillow Premier Agent Sales

10. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great people culture benefits are amazing!

Cons

Career Development can be political

Zillow2019-08-30

September 11, 2019Senior Director of Sales

Thank for you for writing your review. It sounds like you met some amazing people and really enjoyed our great benefits program during your 3+ years at ZG! We work hard in each office to create and maintain a strong culture focused on equity and belonging. If you have some examples of roadblocks you encountered or observed regarding career growth and development please email me at brandoni@zillowgroup.com. Career development is something we do not take lightly and we are always looking for feedback to improve. Best of luck in your current opportunity and thank you again for your review. Brandon Inouye - Senior Director, Zillow Premier Agent Sales

Found 754 reviews