Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.2
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Promotes a healthy work /life balance" (in 79 reviews)

• "Free food catered in at least once a week" (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very little work/life balance in sales positions" (in 19 reviews)

• "Zillow has been working hard to be more diverse and it is apparent in most of the department's, except for inside sales" (in 11 reviews)

"Agenda"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamestown, Highland, Scotland
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamestown, Highland, Scotland

I worked at Zillow part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people and easy to make friends

Cons

Management not nice and on career path

Advice to Management

be nice

20 Dec 2017 – Zillow Group Representative

Thanks for your feedback. I am glad you found it easy to make friends at Zillow. I would like to understand more around your comment on management, please reach out to me @ dans@zillowgroup.com . We... More

2. "Great experience working here"

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work culture is awesome! Competitive and innovative work is happening. It’ll be interesting to see how things change in the real estate world in the near future. Snacks are great.

Cons

They used to spend a lot on company parties earlier. This is not a con. But some employees sounded happy with stock prices going up vs org spending on company parties.

Advice to Management

Good luck with instant offers!

"Innovative+Transparent+Truly Cares= Zillow Group"

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative, cares about their people, always looking 3 steps ahead, fun, great culture, and rewarding.

Cons

I have no cons about this great company.

Zillow Response

13 Jul 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review -- I'm really glad that you're enjoying your experience here.

"Fantastic culture & strong mission"

Current Employee - Applied Scientist in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Applied Scientist in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In addition to the usual tech company perks (free drinks/snacks, happy hours, free public transit, etc.), Zillow has an unparalleled commitment to work-life balance. Management invests in employees through competitive compensation, benefits, career and technical development, diversity and inclusion, and an ability to transfer internally between roles and even job groups.

Cons

I have no real complaints. My only concern is that as the company grows beyond the point where institutional knowledge is scalable, there may be technical and cultural debt that prohibits growth and flexibility. However, I have confidence that management will try to proactively address this before it becomes a major problem.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in employees first, and it will pay dividends in the long term. Make it easy for all employees to voice concerns without fear of retaliation as middle management positions become the norm and ICs are further removed from the decision-making process.

5. "Working for a great company"

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance, competitive compensation, ability to create yourself and own your career, access to 'C' level management, candy wall, incredibly fast paced

Cons

Not working hard will be a detriment to your employment

16 Jul 2018 – GM

Hi, this is Dave Frisone, GM of PA Sales in NY. Thank you for your very positive thoughts about working here at ZGNYC! It's teammates like you that have helped build our culture of success, so... More

6. "Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Event Planner in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Event Planner in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, benefits, people, opportunity to grow, challenged, excited, fun

Cons

Nothing I can think of!

7. "Senior Business Consultant/Senior Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant/Senior Sales Executive in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zillow was a great place for me to grow as a sales professional over the past 4 1/2 years. I experienced a ton of change throughout my tenure, and even more personal growth. This is a world class organization at ZGOC. There are some great leaders starting with a Senior Director who will be dearly missed when she heads north. The people are great here, that’s what I will miss the most. The product is best in the industry when used and scaled properly by the Premier Agents. The sales processes are great and ever evolving with consistent and ongoing training. The performance of the ZGOC sales team is the best in the company, and I am proud to have been a part of it. There’s a strong financial opportunity for top performance.

Zillow Group as a company truly follows its core values while working towards a strong and ambitious mission. Culture is amazing, benefits are awesome: health, 401k, fun office environment, award dinners, catered Friday lunches, food, coffee, ZG week in Seattle....

Cons

It can be a grind, but when things roll they’re great.

Change happens fast, not a total con, but be ready to pivot at times and trust the process.

Entry level pricing in some markets prices out a lot of agents from the beginning.

Low turnout on the softball team often left us short handed for games.

Advice to Management

Keep ongoing trainings, the growth/evolution of the sales team over the years is incredible. May need to re-evaluate the current state of the SE’s, moral seems low as attrition is high recently, especially after employee churn seemed pretty stable for a while.

16 Jul 2018 – Senior Director, Premier Agent Sales

Thank you for your feedback! It is great to read that you felt the support of our leadership team and developed as a professional throughout your tenure. I would like to personally thank you for... More

"AMAZING"

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

- Lots of perks (snacks, drinks, happy hours, company parties)
    - Great PTO and sick time
    - Company is constantly growing
    - Take very good care of their employees
    - Healthy work/life balance

Cons

- General expectations can be unrealistic sometimes
    - Career path can be faint if not interested in sales or developing (specifically for this office)

Advice to Management

Help employees see there possibilities career wise more clearly.

9 Jul 2018 – COO

It's great to hear you are overall happy here, and thank you for the review! If you'd like to learn more about career development, please meet with your HR Business Partner, who can walk you through... More

"Could be brilliant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

- Amazing work/life balance.
    - CEO is one of the best and brightest. He truly cares about not just the business side of things but the people and Zillow Group's culture.
    - Incredibly talented individual contributors.
    - Benefits and stock are superb

Cons

- Leadership. Specifically in Brand Marketing. Tired leaders who have been at the company a bit too long and are no longer invested or willing to change. Some simply aren't equipped for the job and have been given too many chances.
    - Takes a lot for a "bad egg" to be noticed by upper management/leaders and make moves.
    - Unfortunate favoritism.
    - Company wants to be innovative (as they say), but struggle with what this looks like, who to listen to, and how to go about it.
    - Zero company-wide processes (it's a free for all)
    - Individual Contributors aren't set up for success and growth (managers don't know how to help directs manage growth or how to answer simple questions)
    - Leadership ego and attitudes (negative and toxic)
    - Lack of empowerment

Advice to Management

- You've hired incredibly talented employees in-house who are invested and want to create great things ... Use them. Use their abilities. Let them flourish and grow. Everyone is on the same team.
    - Recognize when middle management and upper management are no longer performing and/or are toxic and simply not following ZG's core values.
    - Re-thinj "Move Fast. Think Big." No one moves quickly on something and has been able to do it *well.*

10. "Good company but not challenging"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wlb is awesome. People are very friendly and downtown location is good. Company is expanding quickly into new areas and growth is amazing.

Cons

As some others have mentioned that compensation is a bit lacking though not too much.
    My major gripe is that work is not very challenging. It is tedious and needs you to think about how people will use it best but from a purely engineering perspective it is not hard and doesn't meet the rigor that you expect. And you can argue that you should engineer what people want to use but sometimes I feel my skills are underutilized and getting rusty.