DataStax Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

DataStax Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at DataStax

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at DataStax (Columbus, OH (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The interview process started with a brief phone screening, then a Cassandra real ticket was assigned as a technical test. It took me about 40 hrs to finish the test. I liked the test a lot the engineer assigned to answer my questions was very helpful and we had a good working experience, I succeeded in the test and my solution was simple and neat. The skype interviews were the tiring ones, they have people scattered around the world and I had different times for each interviewer (total 6). Most of the interviews went fine, they were mainly asking me about my previous job experience and also most of the technical questions were based on Multithreading and how to detect a deadlock situation and avoid it. I did a quick reader/writer test with one of the technical lead online, I was thinking about an optimum solution that I missed some basic points, the classic problem states that multiple readers can proceed and they have to be blocked if a writer gets the lock, the solution the team lead wrote was not optimum readers were blocking each other and I missed to point it out. At the end I didn't get an offer, I was upset because they failed to recognize a good software engineer, I was someone who never worked on non SQL DB before, I had no distributed systems experience and yet I went through Cassandra code base and crafted a solution that works and tested it locally and on distributed nodes. I don't see how some silly Java questions taken from some sites would give you a better idea on someones technical abilities, if I knew they would go that route I would have printed out the 100 most asked interview question and memorized them, but I think that's silly, I don't memorize the API!!!

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between ArrayList and LinkedList?   3 Answers
  • What's the role of hashcode in the hashmap   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for DataStax

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at DataStax in March 2014.

Interview

Standard interview process consisting of a phone call from a recruiter followed by multiple tech interviews via video conferencing. They will give you a programming problem to solve in your language of choice.

I solved the programming problem only to have it labeled as too simplistic of a solution. Evidently the hiring manager made a mistake in not providing a challenging enough problem to solve. I was asked to solve a more difficult version of the problem after which I decided to halt the interview process. I deem this behavior as unprofessional and a complete waste of a candidates time.

It looks like DataStax is a young company - unfortunately many of their managers lack professionalism and good interview etiquette. Some of the negative reviews from existing employees confirm this. This appears to be a case of a company promoting engineers to management roles without providing them management training.

Interview Questions

• Describe some challenges of provisioning software across a datacenter consisting of thousands of nodes.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at DataStax.

Interview

- Interview with future co-workers (5-6);
    - Technical skill test: develop a small software to solve a problem; They will ask you about your design decisions and review the code quality;
    - Background check;

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.