Google Recruiter Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Google Recruiter Interview Questions

Interviews at Google

3.1

Recruiter Interview

Interview

The interview process had multiple steps including phone screens and on-site interviews that used google hangouts. They also had me rank the three locations that I would be interested in for Google.

Interview Questions

• If Google were to build cubicles, how would you show that this promotes efficiency?   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Recruiter Interview

Application

The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Took four months and was incredibly disorganized. I interviewed 3 times. Most questions were hypothetical / case studies. Two of the three interviewers were friendly. One kept talking about the amount of minutes left (the interview was 30 minutes) as if he was anxious to leave. At one point he was pretty condescending regarding my answer. They were never proactive / reached out to me with next steps. I always had to follow up to get a response and move on to the next stage.

I received 2 offers - One for a senior position that they gave "by mistake" and pulled the offer. They then gave a second offer for a role that was much lower (40%) which I declined.

At the four month mark I stopped following up. Keeping my schedule open for interviews for that long impacted my job. No company is worth that kind of hassle, and I'm surprised to say that Google's interview process was the worst I have ever come across in my career. And I interview people for a living.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about implementing cubicles in Google's offices?   4 Answers

Recruiter Interview

Interview

The initial stages of the overall process was good. I was contacted by a sourcer and then a recruiter who asked me a few basic questions over the phone. Then I received a quick email saying I have been selected for an on-site interview. A few emails were exchanged and an on-site was scheduled. On the day of the interview, I was received by a coordinator and informed of the interview schedule. This is when everything started going downhill. My recruiter (who had scheduled the on-site) had called me prior to the interview saying that the interviewers may ask situational hypothetical questions not related to recruiting. I just did not realize how many of such questions will be asked. I thought I prepped really well. But almost all of the questions by 4 interviewers over 2 hours were situational, hypothetical, non-recruiting related questions - What if I have to design their new cafeteria, what if I have to design a training plan......it went on and on....There were barely 2-3 questions that they asked related to recruiting. Apparently, Google wants to understand your thought process. The interviewers kept saying there are no "wrong answers" and they want to understand how I think. I tried my best to answer their questions. It was the toughest interview I had given but I had practiced a lot. But two days later, I received an email from my recruiter saying that I will not be moving forward. He also said he would like to talk to me to discuss the "interview outcome" and how we can stay in touch for future opportunities. When he called, it was a 2 minute call to let me know that he cannot discuss the interview result due to confidentiality and that I can apply again in 6 months. This is ridiculous, if you cannot give feedback, why bother telling me that you would like to call and discuss the "interview outcome". Also, I am not sure how Google determines a person's success in a particular job by asking totally irrelevant questions. I have been a recruiter for more than 8 years and have been pretty successful in all of my jobs. After the interview itself and before even getting the results, I realized one thing - Google only employs people with the same thought process - there is no diversity of thoughts.

Interview Questions

• All situational hypothetical non-recruiting related questions   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

Sourcer contacted me about an opportunity for LinkedIn. I was a passive candidate since I wasn't really looking for something new, but open to seeing what was out there. I was passed to the Recruiter where I had a 30min phone call with them- which was painfully obvious that they were reading off a script because no part of the call was personalized or did they ask me anything related to my job- just house keeping questions (confirming I was working, asked if there were gaps in my employment, do I need work sponsorship, etc).

I was notified a few days after that I was invited to an OS Loop. I had a prep call with the Recruiter and again it painfully obvious that they were reading off a script, but this time they rushed through the whole prep call that I had to ask them to slow down and repeat themselves a handful of times. Additionally the prep call was extremely generic- everything was basically common sense (look up your interviewers on LinkedIn, have examples prepped, wear an appropriate outfit), so I instead relied on how I prep my own candidates and did my own research to prepare.

Had my interview, and overall I'd say 50% of it went over well- it was a mix of Behavioral & Hypothetical questions with follow up questions- overall not that difficult. One interviewer was tough to read and connect with, and I had decent conversations with 2 of them at least. One of the four interviewers seemed under prepared for it though- wasn't sure what Qs they wanted to ask me and had a presence of "I'm tired and I really don't want to be here, but here I am" during the whole interview. They even asked me 2 questions that someone else asked earlier, and when I mentioned it and asked if they wanted to ask a different question or if I should use a different example- they shrugged and said "yea, whichever is fine" without lifting their eyes off their screen which was just off putting and out a bad taste in my mouth. (why would I ever want to work with someone like that?!)

After my interviews, I was pretty on the fence on if I even wanted to continue with Google in the 1st place. The overly scripted and sub-par Recruiter I worked with was a big draw back for me. I was expecting to have stellar Recruiter who could set a high bar for what I should expect from Google Recruiters and really sell me on the opportunity, but I was really underwhelmed from beginning to end. Only 1 interviewer gave a good reason to want to work there, which was the creative freedom & ownership over your work. The rest of the responses were so canned- "the people keep me here" which great, but not good enough for me. I already work with amazing people and I didn't see how I could learn something new from the people there or how I'd have the opportunity to work on something really challenging and fun. I also got "working for a recognizable tech company like Google is so cool" as a response, which was a pretty lame way to convince me that I should leave my current company and work there, and it came off as really pretentious. Google isn't the only innovative tech company out there, and if there isn't a better reason to work other than "the people" and "a recognizable company name"...that's pretty disappointing.

After thinking about it for a few days I decided that, based on the experience I've had, the company wasn't a good fit for me and the opportunity wasn't one I'd want to pursue further; and the thought of putting my own candidates through something like this gives me anxiety.

I'm glad I went though this experience and I'm happy to remain a customer of Google, but I don't see myself wanting to work there anytime soon.

PROS:
    + Free flowing work environment (20% dedication to pursue other interests)
    + Reasonable Process timeline
    + Employee Benefits

CONS:
    - Lack Luster Recruiter POC
    - Canned & generic responses
    - Feeling of average Recruiting colleagues (told me they were not able to hit HC goals last year, lack of genuine enthusiasm/confidence in the Org)
    - More focus on internal connectivity than on the work at hand: would spend time & money on a week long lavish team building trip, and not focus on meeting HC demand
    - No sense of what the opportunity actually was they were considering me for, and didn't give me anything to be excited about

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about a time you worked with a difficult team member.   Answer Question
    • Q: How would you speak to a client about diversity?   Answer Question
    • Q: Tell me about your most challenging hire.   Answer Question
    • Q: How would you help a new Google business staff a new product team?   1 Answer
    • Q: Tell me about something you've accomplished that was significantly outside of your realm of responsibility.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)) in June 2018.

Interview

I was reached out to by one of Google's sourcers via LinkedIn and even though I wasn't actively looking at the time, I thought 'hey why not, and it's Google!' The first couple of phone interviews (one with recruiting coordinator and the other with my recruiter) went swimmingly and this part of the process went off without a hitch. I was then told I'd be moving forward to onsite. Before my slated interview date, my recruiter prepped me for the onsite with the kinds of questions they'd ask as well as various pieces of advice. Awesome! Even booking the travel was smooth as can be.

However...the onsite is where things begin to get strange. The morning of my onsite, I check my email to see that one of the RC's had emailed me at almost midnight the night before saying that not only would my entire panel of interviewers be different than who was originally slotted, but several of them would be on Google Hangouts. So I flew over here just to do half the interview virtually? Though admittedly, meeting several folks who worked in People Ops and getting to see one of their main campuses was cool, I did enjoy this part of the experience. I check in at the front and the receptionist has me down as interviewing with the wrong person. I corrected her saying it was supposed to be someone else, but she thought I was wrong. Anyway, after this back and forth the person I thought I was interviewing with first comes out and the slate of interviews begin. The first 2 went pretty well I thought, and my answers to their questions were fairly on point. Then came lunch...oh man, this was bizarre. The girl I had lunch with wasn't originally supposed to be my lunch meeting, she was a fill in. She was very outspoken on how poorly some of the teams in People Ops functioned and warned me against accepting a position with several of the groups in it. Fantastic. So needless to say, that was a tad awkward and off putting. Then came my last 2 interviews. I don't think these went quite as well; the third interviewer asked questions that were poorly worded and didn't seem to like all of my answers. The fourth interviewer seemed to almost forget she was scheduled to do an interview. This one felt rushed and she was in a small booth offsite somewhere--someone needed to use the booth and she was trying to shoo them away. At least the gentleman who walked me back to the lobby after it was all over was super friendly and offered me a beverage for the road.

All of this was a month ago and despite following up with my recruiter several different times, he has gone completely MIA. Total radio silence. I understand that my interview fell the week before July 4th so I was willing to give them some leeway here. But this long with no update is just unprofessional and left an even worse taste in my mouth. I totally get it if they moved forward with other candidates or lost headcount. As a recruiter myself, I am well aware that these things happen all the time. That said, after taking time off work to travel for this interview, at least give me the courtesy of SOME kind of follow up. All in all, even if on the off chance I am presented an offer, I don't think I will be accepting.

TLDR; after rocky and strange onsite interview experience and recruiter ghosting me; likely won't be accepting offer if given one.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in March 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by a sourcer who asked me for my resume. The sourcer then scheduled me for a phone interview with a recruiter. The phone interview was very scripted and there were times when I was questioning whether or not the person I was speaking with was actually human or not- AI is becoming very good at disguising itself.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to operate outside the bounds of your prescribed job description (or something to that effect).   2 Answers

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in March 2018.

Interview

Like the other 40% negative reviews on here, unfortunately, my interview was consistent with what's already been stated. I had worked with a recruiter, after being referred, who then forwarded me along to a coordinator. The coordinator took two full weeks to schedule four conversations, only to revert, quite literally, the day before my conversations were arranged.

I interviewed with four separate folks; only two of which, were actually slated for my interview panel. Two were in-person, two were virtual. I felt that I clicked with the majority of the interviewers and they were welcoming and engaging before stepping into the room. That being said, upon sitting down, the banal and repetitive line of questioning, conversation after conversation, was the clear indicator that the reviews were spot-on.

It's evident that you don't become a cog in the wheel, as a recruiter at Google, but more-so a human walking script of hypotheticals. I am certainly curious to see the data that proves these questions are indicative of one's potential to come up with creative solutions to decrease inefficiencies or ability to effectively connect with the proper audience.

While I don't point any fingers at the interviewers themselves, People Operations needs to focus on their interview strategy as it pertains to the recruiting function. The lack of diversity and originality is what's going to drive the highest tier of talent to smaller, more agile firms, that are comparable to what Google once was.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Austin, TX (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

The interview process is long, extensive and impersonal. I interviewed in Austin, TX, so travel was involved. I was put in touch with no less than 4 people to plan this, none of them adding any personal touches to the process. The actual interview feels like you are interviewing with robots, as the interviewers type your response and make zero eye contact or small talk to get to know you. A very sterile and unfriendly environment and experience.
    Then, no follow up until three weeks after the interview. An unnecessarily lengthy process.
    Overall, I had to question if I would really want to put my own candidates through this process if I was a recruiter at Google. The answer: NO! Not a good fit!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you didn't agree with a decision your manager made.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Google (Ann Arbor, MI (US)) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online for the role and was contacted within a few days to set up an initial phone call with a recruiter. She was transparent with me at the beginning of our call and let me know they had some later stage candidates in the pipeline and would likely not be continuing the interview process with other candidates. I appreciated her transparency around this and we had a brief call about my background and what it was like to work on the recruiting team at Google.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

Pre screen, followed by two google hang out interviews, followed by in person interview loop.

They may do great work with computers, servers, and code but in the people/social realm much is left to be desired (google+ anyone?). Many G employees I interacted with projected an attitude of exclusiveness, as if their employee badge was an identity shield, us vs you.

In terms of hiring the process values "committee" over timeliness, conformist over challenge and improving.

Interview Questions

• heavily skewed hypothetical over past examples of performance   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.