Google Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 13 Nov 2018

3.4

106 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google in July 2015.

Interview

I got a mail from one of the recruiters first. Then there were two phone calls. First one was a basic phone interview where she explained the interview process. Next was a technical phone interview. I was asked to code on a shared doc. Generally they ask two questions. But I took a lot of time for the one itself. Hence was not selected. Questions are not that tough. Require coding knowledge.

Interview Questions

• how I could relate my project with google?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Contrary to a lot of stuff I'd heard about the inefficiency of the Google process, the interviewing process went really well for me.

Started with a recruiter who goes over all your basic stuff and resume checking stuff and gives you a list of material to study. This is followed by 1-2 phone interviews and then an onsite if you make it past the phone screens.

The resources given by the recruiter and all of the stuff you can find online are more than enough to succeed at the interviews. However, you have to remember that they pick the smartest people in the world.

Personally, I did not make it past my first phone screen. However, I was offered an interview with their Engineering Residency program which sounds promising. Will update with a review for that after it happens.

Interview Questions

• Since I am still in the process, I would rather not say the specific question. Will update once it is over.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google in October 2015.

Interview

The experience is not good. The recruiter is late for the phone call and also hushes through the time. She seems really indifferent about your experience and not very patient about your struggling process. The questions are actually the unsolvable questions in the computer science world. Although I just knew that, I do not feel it appropriate to use those questions for interviews.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Was pretty short and straightforward.
    Got a call on the phone.
    Coded on a shared doc.
    Interviewer poses the question then explains it in detail to ensure you get the idea.
    They ask the complexity of your solution and if you can come up with a better solution.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to check if a number has rotational symmetry i.e is the same when rotated by 180 degrees. Ex 1691, 181, 11, 1001   5 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2016.

Interview

2 phone interviews each with 2 coding problems

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm for a magician to shuffle the cards and get the exact card that he want   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online through a job-posting site. Got contacted and passed the phone interview but had to do it again due to barely passing the first time. Then went onsite and did 4 technical interview.

They covered data structures and algorithms you learn in college. Mainly sorting, graphs, string manipulation, and some programming puzzles.

Interview Questions

• Bit manipulation was a big one on the phone. On site it typical programming problems you'd find in a review book.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

Contacted by university recruiter, followed two weeks later by a technical phone screen (1 hour). On-site (four 45-minute technical interviews, plus lunch interview) scheduled two weeks after that.

The on-site interview questions were challenging but not impossible. Definitely should have practiced writing more code beforehand, particularly in the language of the interview (Java, for me). Conversations with the interviewers went well.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

2 phone interviews in a row, 45 minutes each.
    Each interview began with a brief introduction of one project in my resume and continued with technical questions.
    The interviewers were very nice to talk with.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given two strings, one is derived by adding some characters into the other. Find all these characters. Example: A='abc', B='aabcde', return ['a','d','e']
      2. Given an n×n matrix, each element is either 1 or 0. Find the largest sub-matrix that has 1s at all its corners. Time complexity requirement: O(n^3) Example: M=[0,1,1;0,0,1;0,1,1], return [[0,1],[2,2]] (the left-top and right-bottom corners).   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview:
    The Interviewer was late for 20 mins... Ask nothing on my resume.
    Tow questions:
    1) A string consists of ‘0’, ‘1’ and '?'. The question mark can be either '0' or '1'. Find all possible combinations for a string.
    2) Give you a text file, remove duplicated lines.
        Follow up: If the file is very large, general hash map takes too much spaces, come up with a better solution.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

First there was a technical phone interview, with a fairly straightforward programming problem using Google Docs to write on. Then I heard back to schedule the onsite portion. Flights and hotel are paid for, and they're rather flexible to work with your schedule.

The onsite interview was 4 technical questions with lunch after the first two. All the questions are fairly difficult, they skip right past the easy ones and only talk briefly about your resume and experience. Definitely know big O notation and be able to calculate the time complexity for any code you write. A lot of problems involved graphs or matrices, but involved other data structures as well. They give you a full list of what you should know beforehand, and much of it will be covered.

Interview Questions

• What is the time complexity of your implementation? What is the space complexity? Can it be done faster? Can it be done with less space? Write a new implementation doing both.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.