Illumina Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Illumina Interview Questions

Interviews at Illumina

Engineer Interview

Interview

Had a technical call with the hiring manager. The manager seemed a bit rushed for time. Typical questions about resume. The interview was completely one sided (I didn't even have time for questions).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the most technical project that you worked on.
      Why are you looking for a new job?
      What does work life balance mean to you?   Answer Question

Material Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA (US)) in October 2020.

Interview

5 problems in total. Finish record one and you get the next question.
    30 secs for prepare and 3 mins or 4 mins max length to record. 3 chances to record

Interview Questions

• Explain buffer and give example
      Explain polymer and give example
      If you have 5-amine-modified DNA and thiol DNA how do you attach them to surface? What is the chemistry?
      What do you prepare 1mM solution with 1mg sample and 1.5mL tubes ? How do you make 1nM from 1mM?
      If you have hydrophilic and hydrophobic surfaces, and lipid solution how do you know which surface is which ?what tool do you need? If you have lipid in aqueous buffer, if you want to make lipid bilayers on surface, do you need hydrophobic or hydrophilic surface?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

After an initial screening call with a member of the talent acquisition team, I had a half hour call with the hiring manager. Feedback was positive and I then moved on to five forty-five minute calls with various members of the team. Throughout this process, communication regarding next steps was abysmal. After emailing the recruiter several times to ask about my status, I heard that feedback from my interviews had been good and a decision would be made within a few days. After two weeks of not hearing back, I finally received a phone call asking if I would be able to relocate at my own expense by January (the hiring manager had said that relocation wasn't necessary and if I chose to do so it could be within a year of my first date back in the office-- likely January 2021). After agreeing to this and being told I would hear back within two days, I never heard back again despite my reaching out several times. That was over a month ago.

Ultimately, I am disappointed to have wasted many hours on this company (there were seven total interviews!) without receiving an answer either way. This company does excellent work and I was excited about the prospect of working for such a great cause, but it seems like I dodged a bullet here. If this is how the company treats its candidates, it doesn't bode well for how it treats its employees.

Interview Questions

• How have you worked with senior stakeholders on complex communications initiatives?   Answer Question

Software Systems Engineer Interview

Interview

Standard interview process. Pre-recorded video interview screen where they ask some preset questions, call with HR to learn more about the company and discuss the process, 4 video interviews with multiple team members. Everyone was really kind during the interview process, but I did have to follow up multiple times afterwards to find out I did not get an offer.

Staff Engineer Interview

Interview

Very thorough with multiple rounds of interview, some tests about how you approach problem solving, but also fair and laid back. The HR reps that guide you along the way are very thoughtful. The teach interviews were in depth problem solving of a variety of scenarios

Interview Questions

• How do you explain a complex science concept to a 8 year old   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA (US)

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Illumina (Foster City, CA (US)).

Interview

Process took multiple months. 7 rounds to be exact. Interviewers often did not show up and had to be rescheduled last minute. Some showed up late.
    Was told that the position was no longer getting filled.
    Don’t string someone on for that long if there is no intent to hire.

Sensor Design Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

After an initial screening call with Illumina's HR representative (Santina Oppmann), I had a half-hour technical call with the hiring manager. Feedback was positive, I was then asked to deliver a 1-hour technical presentation to the entire Illumina team, and following this nine separate one-on-one 45-minute calls with each member of the team. In total, this processes involved 11 separate interviews, in addition to creating & delivering a technical presentation. The team members were mostly friendly, though several did express unhappiness with the way they were treated by the company.

After this high-touch interview process, Illumina's behavior was atrocious. I was told to expect feedback within a couple business days; one month later Illumina was still completely silent, despite my reaching out several times. Finally, at 1:53am on a Saturday, I received an automated boilerplate notification from their Workaday system saying they would not proceed with my candidacy.

Ultimately, I wasted many hours on this company (there were eleven separate interviews, in addition to creating & delivering a custom 1-hour technical presentation). I will not be working with Illumina again. If this is how the company treats its candidates, it doesn't bode well for how it treats its employees.

Interview Questions

• What is a challenge you faced with a colleague at your current job   Answer Question

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

I got a mail from the recruiter a week after applying online on the illumina careers section. The interview was a video interview and there was a code screen share. It was a 45 min interview. Although the interview was fairly ok, not sure about the criteria for selection.

Enzyme Manufacturing Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

Did the interview for an internship at the Madison site. Great Interview process, both interviewers were amazing. Seemed to love the company and their culture. Would love to have another interview with them.

Interview Questions

• Asked about the values of the company and how do you relate to them.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA (US)).

Interview

First step was the video interview. Then the 2 day, 45 min per person, 6 person interview. Everyone was very pleasant/personable but it was draining as I had to repeat answers over and over for the same questions. Also once the interviews were done, i followed up with the recruiter a few weeks later and never heard back.

Interview Questions

• Why Illumina?
      What caught your attention about the job description?
      What is your biggest career highlight to date?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.