Revolut Operational Risk Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Revolut Operational Risk Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Revolut

2.7

Operational Risk Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Revolut in October 2019.

Interview

I got approached on LinkedIn for a Finance position which I turned down as it wasn’t relevant to my experience and current job. Instead, I got offered to apply for an Operational Risk Manager position which I agreed on. The process consisted of an interview via Google Hangouts with HR which was relatively straightforward, although the HR person started to talk about the Finance position at first which really confused me. Once we cleared that up, the interview was brought back on course. I was then given two home tasks – one analytical test and one case study to test my knowledge on risk management.

I was told that the test is “easy” and no preparation for it is required. Now… if it was any position relevant to coding / development / quant, I would have agreed. Obviously that was not the case and I got left to answer statistics questions which I haven’t tackled since first year at university and stats is not part of what I currently do on a daily basis. To say the test is “easy” shows to me no consideration of the relevant background of potential applicants as it also became obvious in the beginning when I got approached for a position not at all relevant to my skillset. This blanket approach is not flexible in any sense. So if you apply, make sure you do some practice test on statistics.

That being said, the case study relevant to the position was actually very nicely structured and I enjoyed spending time working on it.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Revolut

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Revolut (London, England) in October 2019.

Interview

Internal recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. We scheduled a google hangout call for initial conversation. It was followed by a written home task and an online test. Then a 1-1 interview in the office with one of the Founders Associates

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Revolut (London, England) in March 2019.

Interview

Revolut's Talent Manager reached out to me via LinkedIn. I would normally state that I need sponsorship and would expect not proceeding. To my delight, they actually sponsor Tier 2 visas holders. HR sent me a video call via Google Hangout and discussed my background for roughly 30 minutes. Immediately after that, they sent a home task I need to submit within 7 days. The task required me to analyse some KYC data in an excel spreadsheet, determine the root cause of the problem, and propose solutions/controls. I submitted the work 3 days after and got a response the following day that they'd want to continue my interview the next day. Went to their office in Canary Wharf and got an interview with the Head of Risk. The interview was very casual as compared to what I had before. I also used this opportunity to do an ocular of their office. Coming from a huge company, this is definitely new to me which is not bad. During the interview, he asked about my competencies which is expected. I used the time to also ask questions as I would also want to assess them not just the other way around. I like the responses I got because he was very honest with his answers. He straightforward told me that his day-to-day is from 9am-9pm and allowed me to decide whether I would be willing to work within those hours. I did do my research before doing the interview as I'd like to know and be prepared. Having read a couple of negative publicity including the long hours, I weighed that against the challenge I am looking for and took it. There are still a few qualms because he also did say tensions tend to happen when people get stressed which I need to prepare myself for. I would want to be calm but sometimes I burst out so let's see how it goes. I asked him after the interview how my interview went and knew I will be going through the next stage. The next interview was with a Founder's Associate. I wasn't really clear what that role is. I knew during the interview the role is to be extra hands where needed. He asked me a couple of questions mostly related to his background in attempt to put that in a real life risk scenario rather than operational risks directly related to a financial services company. He was young and relatively new for an interviewer but a nice guy though. Few points:
    1. You do get a sense the company is new and growing rapidly. There is not much structure in comparison to what I had so there's an expectation that you will be independent and proactively leading things which is the real challenge. No plans on having kids yet so I'm using the time to learn new things and progress with my career.
    2. There is an expectation that everyone knows some data analytics (SQL, programming). Reports are ideally backed up by data. I did data analytics before so no problem.
    3. Long hours may mean stress and tensions between teams. Not good.
    4. They allow flexible working. Formally, it's one day a week but as long as you deliver, you can work anywhere.
    5. The initial offer was 20k below my asking with stock options (they also provided calculations how much they expect it will grow in 4 years. It's blindingly 1 million ++). As a risk person, I had to renegotiate because stock options are largely dependent on the company's performance and I will only how well they manage things once I am in. They reduced my stock option by 10k and increased my yearly asking by 10k and only then I accepted. They have a 6-month performance review with stocks options as rewards, so being a slightly competitive person, will just get my rewards as stock options.

If you like to grow professionally, I think Revolut is for you. If you have a family and live far, maybe a no but then again that's for you to decide. My Resident Labour Market test is on-going. The results of that will depend if I will join them. :) Fingers crossed!

Interview Questions

• Do you think the second line of defense should also do testing?   1 Answer
    • State a specific scenario where you helped a client/stakeholder and describe how you helped them.   Answer Question
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.