Arm Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • bad work life balance / stressful most of the time (in 22 reviews)

• The company is growing very fast for the last few years might face challenges to keep the company culture (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"13 months into an ARM leadership role"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering - HPC Tools in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are nice to work with, appreciative and bright.

The work/life balance is respected and many people have a keen focus on diversity and inclusion.

ARM focus on their strengths of solving tough problems and where appropriate use third parties and build success with partners. ARM don't try to do everything or win at everything. My perception is that ARM focus on an area they add value and then do a polished professional job of delivering it.

The overall compensation is highly competitive - some of my team are starting to take their sabbatical's (4 week paid holiday every 4 years - only 3 years to go :-)

I love the trust and autonomy. Despite ARM having over 4500 employees it does not feel like a bureaucratic machine. As a leader I can honestly say that there are few things which you must do in a particular way or slow me down. The processes are pragmatic and mostly there to be made up or tweaked to fit your purpose.

Cons

The nature of the work and lack of previous attention to diversity in team building has led to a narrow set of types of people you get to interact with. I appreciate ARM is taking steps to address this with a Project Everyone programme - I've got involved and hoping to see the positive impact over time.

ARM was formed in Cambridge for designing cpu's. These are not cons, but they weigh heavily as perceptual baggage. ARM is rising up as a company in many world wide locations, who can develop world class software and become dominant in IoT. Despite this Cambridge and hardware sometimes seem to be the perceived places you must be.

Advice to Management

Keep focussed on the ARM values and make sure the rapid growth and shift into new markets do not demotivate and confuse people and create slow downs in some of the key foundations that the product teams rely upon e.g. hiring, legal.

Look to learn lessons from organisations that have gone through big transformations and growth in the past e.g. IBM one of my previous employers.

"Best company I ever worked for"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time

Pros

I have worked for large enterprises and Arm is actually a small one compared to them. These big ones often have "sophisticated" systems around processes and I haven't found any that fits the purpose. They are usually imagined by someone ignorant at the top and implemented by someone ignorant at the bottom.

Now in Arm it is completely the opposite. We have systems, cleverly put together, designed by clever people and they make our life easier. I am in Arm for not too long and I had many pleasant surprises how much effort Arm has put in to make it a good place to be in. And these efforts succeeded.

I focused on the general feeling to work in Arm because the specifics will be different in every job/level/position, etc.

For me as a seasoned software developer I find that the benefits are top and again I was surprised after joined the company, that the package is actually more than it was advertised. (Ask about FlexPot from your recruiter...)

Cons

I haven't found any so far

Advice to Management

I wonder what to say, great work, continue like that!

"Used to be a great company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, this is to be expected as lot of products are matured and not much challenging work left to do.

Pay is Ok, it improving, although not enough if want to live in Cambridge with family.

There are still some excellent people in the company.

Good brand name.

Cons

As many products are matured, not many challenges nor opportunities for growth.

Self serving management, constant reorg only to promote managers. Many managers, sometimes it is hard to figure out some managers function.

Although a global company, lack of awareness among managers and engineers about this fact and have unfair expectations on behaviour and communication(English) irrespective of people's origin, unconscious/conscious bias is seen.

Key to career progression is visibility, visibility and visibility.

Being difficult to work with and micro management gets you recognition.

Lots of useless process, using of Agile where it is not suitable for example.

"Loughborough office is not a good choice for software developers"

Former Employee - Senior/Staff Software Engineer in Loughborough, England
    Former Employee - Senior/Staff Software Engineer in Loughborough, England

I worked at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary. In fact, most Loughborough employees get Cambridge's salary which is much higher than average in Leicestershire. Some members of the local management and hardware engineering teams have doubled salaries (over £100k) after ARM's acquisition of Apical.

Quite unique products. At least three product lines are developed in Loughborough so it makes it worth for the hardware engineers of joining this company.

Cons

Local management structure is toxic:
    * Technical decisions are made to increase managers prestige regardless to the consequences for a product.
    * Therefore, it is not appreciated to argue with the management decisions.
    * Chronic internal problems within a team are constantly ignored.
    * Management team never admits their failures.

Software developers are second-class sitizens. This is easy to explain as ARM is a hardware company which revenue depends on success of their hardware IPs.

Advice to Management

Apical (ARM in Loughborough) is a settled company, so I don't expect for things to improve drastically. I would recommend to replace previous Apical's management.

"Great place to be for those who enjoy challenging fast paced environment where change is the constant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing pace of growth which of course comes with its challenges but rather those challenges than that of decline and stagnation. Softbank brings a longer term vision and ambition which is inspiring and takes some getting used to but an amazing group to be part of. Majority of the organisation has a flexible approach to the individual preferences for work life balance and whilst the work is intense presentism is not apparent. Organisation is working hard to get the basics right and keep up with the expansion. Recent launch of the Reward Flex pot where every individual has a pot of money to invest in development, health and wellbeing or charitable giving and its a reasonable value £4,500 in UK - $8,000 in the USA and its the same whether you are a Graduate or on the ExecutiveCommittee. (plus for the cynics the central training budget has been maintained). I personally would not want to work anywhere else right now.

Cons

Dont come to ARM and expect not to be stretched and challenged. Be prepared for frequent change as the technology and the markets we address are changing at an incredible pace. Not everything is perfect but everyone is working hard to make it better.

Advice to Management

We need to think longer term and take bold decisions to ensure Arm evolves quickly, keeping the great team based low ego culture where we value our people and our partners above everything else.

Arm Response

14 Feb 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a review. It is great to hear what you think Arm is all about, and honestly speaking about what we are not. Arm is evolving so fast and we're not perfect... More

7. "I really like my job at ARM"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- My work is challenging but interesting.
    - Awesome new benefits package which gives £4.5k a year to spend on activities, health, and development. I claimed my entire sum to contribute to the deposit on my first home.
    - The people I work with are good fun and not overly political.

Cons

- Inflexibility in the older staff, it's a shame to see good ideas wasted.
    - Over worked middle management. For the past year or so my middle managers have been processing amazing amounts of information, and one of them has already burnt out. It was a shame to lose her as she was a great manager.

Advice to Management

This expansive hiring policy is a little scary because it introduces instability into the company and suggests we are willing to make decisions more on the extreme side at the top level. I would hate for ARM to over-target and then for the executive team to decide some kind extreme move in the other direction. I would have to consider long and hard on my future if I thought the company was beginning to under perform enough on expectations.

8. "Great place to work, learn and push yourself."

Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in Cambridge, East of England, England

Pros

ARM is a great place to work. I personally feel part of the big picture, have clear purpose, freedom to apply existing knowledge and I think that innovations are encouraged. I feel that most individuals at ARM care about the companies success and feel rewarded for their efforts. I think ARM is unique in its culture and approach to flexible working. I think the people are not only some of the most intelligent, but some of the most friendly/helpful individuals you can work with.

Cons

I think there is alot of middle management and with that politics for self promotion where perhaps actions taken are not in the greater interest of ARM . As an example, I have witnessed in some circles junior individuals feeling devalued because their idea was not accepted where it appeared that the idea didnt fit middle management directives at the time. However, a few months later and strategic direction changes from upper management, the ideas were re-pitched in a glossy format by middle management and accepted as their idea. I think this prevents some junior talent from rising in the organisation and I believe this behaviour undermines ARMs values/ objectives. On a related note, I think adding value to the bigger picture is what is needed and sometimes that requires taking on long term large challenges to address root causes. Some of those ventures may fail to make way for future successes, however it seems that short term gain is often favoured to "show how good we are and that we are doing something". I think this needs addressing as systemic issues appear common.

Advice to Management

As stated in the pro's, ARM is a fantastic place to work and I thank management for driving forward this unique organisation. My advice is to address the con mentioned, work on internal promotion opportunities for lower grade staff with the aim of retaining talent and managing perception. Change behaviour to focus on delivering the big picture, remove short term thinking and provide confidence that individuals dont have to consistently justify their existence . I believe ARM values its staff at all levels and its unique culture should be preserved and cherished as the business scales/grows.

"Great, but to an extent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, South West England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, South West England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Nice atmosphere
    - Excellent guiding core values
    - Pay was better than expected
    - Lots of internal job opportunities, but be prepared to have every qualification known to man (and be pristine)

Cons

- Be prepared to be *very* busy all of the time
    - Work/life balance seems to apply only to some offices
    - Company talks about casual wear to the office, yet our office is the only one that demands a corporate look
    - Seem to be in the only office that rarely gets the chance to work from home. Several other offices have said they were confused why we never really get the chance.
    - Very petty office drama that doesn't seem to get resolved

10. "Arm - best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people - the leadership team live and breathe the Arm core values and this is passed down to everyone.
    Work conditions are very good and benefits are shared, with employee welfare being a high priority. I'm sure it pays dividends - happy motivated staff will do a good job in return, and people seem to stay for a long time, some even leave and come back! Presumably because the grass is not greener on the other side.
    Innovation and ideas are encouraged, they are not a greedy grabbing company and aim to contribute both to the industry and society. Personally, I find this a refreshing change. I am really happy working here. I work with high quality people where arrogance is discouraged and collaboration is the rule. It's growing fast - that's probably my one concern, hope it's not over-expansion. Definitely the best company I have worked for and I hope to stay here for a long time.

Cons

I am really happy working here - any niggles are minuscule in perspective of having such a great work environment and a high quality management team. Slight concern that a lot of management seems to have shifted to the USA even though the bulk of staff are in the UK.

Advice to Management

Keep going with what you are doing - don't change the wonderful culture and values which make this such an amazing company. Don't have all the management in the USA - we need to see a career path in the UK too!

"Struggling to transition into the large corporate world"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cam, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cam, England

I worked at Arm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They are a wealthy company with some amazingly talented people

Cons

Since being acquired by SoftBank they are making quick and stupid decisions. They are hiring quickly just to get numbers in and each division is just waiting to be sold off.
    The HR team use to go the extra mile, now everyone is just a number not a person.
    Teams are overworked, their mental health is suffering and their work life balance is nonexistent. I have watched a number of my friends have breakdowns here from being overworked which is why I chose to no longer be part of it. This use to be the best company to work for in Cambridge where people were proud to work there and it’s such a shame it’s no longer like this.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and care about them don’t just make them a number, look at what Google do to look after it’s employees it’s not just about throwing money at people.