Arm Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"13 months into an ARM leadership role"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering - HPC Tools in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are nice to work with, appreciative and bright.

The work/life balance is respected and many people have a keen focus on diversity and inclusion.

ARM focus on their strengths of solving tough problems and where appropriate use third parties and build success with partners. ARM don't try to do everything or win at everything. My perception is that ARM focus on an area they add value and then do a polished professional job of delivering it.

The overall compensation is highly competitive - some of my team are starting to take their sabbatical's (4 week paid holiday every 4 years - only 3 years to go :-)

I love the trust and autonomy. Despite ARM having over 4500 employees it does not feel like a bureaucratic machine. As a leader I can honestly say that there are few things which you must do in a particular way or slow me down. The processes are pragmatic and mostly there to be made up or tweaked to fit your purpose.

Cons

The nature of the work and lack of previous attention to diversity in team building has led to a narrow set of types of people you get to interact with. I appreciate ARM is taking steps to address this with a Project Everyone programme - I've got involved and hoping to see the positive impact over time.

ARM was formed in Cambridge for designing cpu's. These are not cons, but they weigh heavily as perceptual baggage. ARM is rising up as a company in many world wide locations, who can develop world class software and become dominant in IoT. Despite this Cambridge and hardware sometimes seem to be the perceived places you must be.

Advice to Management

Keep focussed on the ARM values and make sure the rapid growth and shift into new markets do not demotivate and confuse people and create slow downs in some of the key foundations that the product teams rely upon e.g. hiring, legal.

Look to learn lessons from organisations that have gone through big transformations and growth in the past e.g. IBM one of my previous employers.

"Great and fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Loughborough, England
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Loughborough, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are very nice and easy to work with.
    Excellent benefit package and keep improving.
    Very good work/life balance.
    Free on-site parking.
    Free snacks and fruits, coffee maker.

Cons

Catering need to be improved.

3. "Big plans means lots of challenge and opportunity"

Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, company is focused on making it an even better place to work, opportunity to make a difference

Cons

Still working on diversity in the workforce, A few noisy voices from those that have been here a long time make positive change challenging, Trying to do a lot so sometimes seems like a lack of focus

Advice to Management

Be bold in your decisions and communicate a clear strategy to empower your really smart and talented workforce.

5. "A company that values its employees"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- excellent benefits
    -Working with the best of the best
    -flexible working
    -People will always help you out if you need it
    -You can talk to senior management and feel like you are being heard
    -positive outlook
    -excellent facilities (we really are spoilt)
    -brilliant culture where trust and individualism is embraced and collaboration is celebrated

Cons

-chaotic
    -hero based delivery model at times can lead to long hours
    -some people forget how lucky we are
    -too much focus on technical expertise for non-technical roles
    -often a heavy focus on achieving complete consensus which can make achieving things time-consuming

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing
    Manage the big changes more effectively
    Don't be afraid to make decisions without full consensus

6. "ARM is indeed a Great place to work"

Current Employee - Staff Verification Engineer in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Staff Verification Engineer in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on cutting edge technologies, excellent work environment and a culture that encourages innovation and creativity, great benefits and work life balance, highly capable and motivated work force led well by the top level management. Company ethos is one of a responsible and caring industry leader rather than a company that is only interested in profits and abuse of it's market share.

Cons

Slow to adapt to change, rapid growth in the last 2 years has been difficult but ARM is slowly but surely changing for the good. There are some redundancies in engineering development and design centres can sometimes compete with each other instead of collaborating with each other as parts of the same company

Advice to Management

Recent reorg is a step in the right direction, Encourage more shared development amongst various engineering groups

17 Oct 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for leaving Arm a review!

It is great to hear your comments around what it is like to work at Arm! Thank you also for your point acknowledging the change Arm has been through and is about... More

7. "Excellent Culture"

Current Employee - Digital Implementation Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clear policy, transparency, respect employees feedback, keen on employees well-being, conversations with higher management

Cons

Capacity, parking space, and catering

Advice to Management

Keep talking to people in ARM across all levels/teams

17 Oct 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear you're having a good experience at Arm. Hopefully the new campus expansion at our Cambridge HQ should help address some of your... More

8. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very flat structure. opinion of all employees is valued. a group culture. no top down directives. very dynamic in structure and re-structure. Easy to move horizontally.

Cons

sometimes it takes a while to get engaged in one direction since the whole group needs to buy in before movement starts

Advice to Management

be bold !

17 Oct 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks very much for leaving a review. It's great to hear your recognition of horizontal moves within Arm as we are trying to foster an environment where people think about growth not only in terms... More

"Working at Arm"

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Working
    Arm embraces flexible working and this makes my life far easier, enabling me to balance between work and home life. I have never experienced this level of flexibility in previous employment.

Benefits
    Some excellent benefits that are accessible to all employees! Recently introduced flexible benefits pot - AMAZING! The pot is to support health and wellbeing outside of work, never had a benefit like this before but can't wait to use it.

People
    The team I work with are amazing, I am lucky to have the opportunity to work with people who live by Arms core beliefs and who I can learn from

Cons

Email heavy, less of the typing and more of the talking.

Promotions through grading system
    - Its often feels that people in the management levels get promotions far more quickly than those who are at the lower grades. Unsure if there is a cap on the number of people they want in each grade but it does feel that way.

Advice to Management

Ensure that your managers are leading and not managing! Leaders need to understand their impact, shadow they cast and the core beliefs they should be living by.

16 Oct 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review! It is great to hear you are enjoying the newly introduced benefits - i can't wait to start using my FlexPot for activities that are going to make me healthier and happier... More

10. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

FlexPot for wellbeing/charitable giving/development.
    4 week sabbatical every 4 years.
    Health insurance.
    Personal travel insurance.
    Great culture, approachable management at all levels.

Cons

Work-life balance. Arm looks out for you, but sometimes the pressure is implied to work later than you might want to, and you might struggle to get the hours back.

Advice to Management

Remember that the smaller sites have different needs to the corporate whole. Personal service can still happen there, even if the larger hubs, by their nature, work on a more formal service architecture.

11. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, strong work-life balance, passionate and interesting colleagues, good communication from top levels on the status of current projects and the direction of the company.

Cons

HR needs massive improvement--very difficult to get started as a new employee due to lack of organisation/effort from the talent team.

16 Oct 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks so much for leaving a review!

We are continually refocusing on our employee experience and in our people strategy this year, we agreed on-boarding was a top priority to ensure our new... More