Arm Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 12 Feb 2020

4.0
Arm Chief Executive Officer Simon Segars
Simon Segars
Pros
  • "Working on technology that is transforming the world whilst maintaining a healthy work-life balance(in 174 reviews)

• "amazing location and work environment(in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very Cambridge-focussed, but Manchester's growth is changing that(in 66 reviews)

• "Work/life balance might be tricky in some positions although may not be a problem if you enjoy what you are doing(in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great workplace"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Very nice people to work with, mostly with a good sense of community - Visa sponsorship and relocation support was a big deal for me - They gave me an amazing computer to work on (P720 ThinkStation) - Plenty of freedom to work - No hassle with the time you arrive or go home as long as you put the hours - There are cases of colleagues that are long time stablished company employees that work from home and others that want to move to another city the company is in and they allow it - There are cash bonuses, but that's like several different bonuses that get combined at different times of the year - Quiet and relaxed workplace. No dress code (except for meetings or events). - Free bus to work from certain places - Generous FlexPot to allow you to spend money on personal wellbeing and then they reinburse you the expense (good for non work related courses and books, sports equipement, etc.) - They did an amazing job with day one induction (most of the first day they talk about the company and the culture and organization)

Cons

- The company is big, sometimes it takes some work to understand my own role in such a huge, fast growing company. Fortunately, the people that works with me are pretty well organized. - Getting up to speed technically in your work might take some time (don´t worry, they know that and give you time, but one cannot help but feel a bit of impostor syndrome when they treat you that well)

Arm2019-12-20
  2. "Friendly and comfortable place to work"

Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Manchester office is growing rapidly and that comes with opportunity * Coffee is taken seriously and you have the chance to become self-taught barista * Free fruit Thursdays and in-office yoga * Game tournaments (MarioKart, foosball, table pool etc) * Fun and funky office design

Cons

* There is no table for table tennis yet

Arm2020-02-12
  3. "Best place to work in the UK"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great atmosphere and team work all around

Cons

Senior management can be a bit stale

Arm2020-02-11
  4. "Arm Manchester is awesome!"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The team in Manchester are great. Super smart and friendly engineers, focused on building the best products to meet our customers needs. The location is unbeatable, with everything Manchester has to offer on the doorstep and outstanding transport links. The senior management team do a great job of giving direction (what is needed and why), without dictating execution (how to deliver, and how the team should run). This has allowed those of us at the Manchester location to build an ethos that feels more like a startup, whilst maintaining the job security, growth prospects and influence of a large company

Cons

None. I've never had a role I've enjoyed more.

Arm2020-02-10
  5. "Lots of smart people willing to share their knwoledge"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

*Very nice offices with a very nice coffee machine(like the one in Costa) *Everyone seems to be very smart, but they are not show off. *Very good for people starting because everyone can teach and help. *Good for the more experienced ones because they can improve. The company has a policy to let employees try new things to improve performance. *It has social events to get people together.

Cons

*The office is split in 3 different places in Manchester. *If you are not proactive you will be left behind. *Cambridge is still the main office, so you may need to go to Cambridge.

Arm2020-02-10
  6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is very good, especially after recent salary increases in Cambridge and Manchester. The Manchester office is very well designed and provides a great working environment. The company culture encourages and supports very collaborative working processes and work-life balance is good. Most teams are quite open to remote working on a regular basis.

Cons

The recruitment process isn't as smooth as it could be and seems to have got worse recently, both for candidates and hiring managers. The system for hiring staff on fixed-term contracts is not very flexible. Some of the engineering support services are under-resourced and not performing to the high standard you'd expect from a world-leading company.

Arm Response

February 13, 2020Global Talent Brand Manager

We think Manchester is awesome too! Many thanks for your honesty in the areas we could improve as a business. As a technologist, you will understand the changes we are making are being delivered in an iterative fashion, the processes being put in place we hope will iron out some of the snags in both the Hiring Manager and Candidate Experience. Whilst the TA team regularly survey the Hiring Manager community receiving really positive feedback, I appreciate sometimes the anecdotal thoughts fall through the cracks– for that reason we would really appreciate an opportunity to understand what quick wins we could implement to make the process smoother for you. As an existing employee, I’m contactable on outlook and quite often in the Manchester office, Jim Rackett – looking forward to hearing from you.

Continue reading
  7. "Massive growth and focus on Manchester"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work-life balance. Flexible working around childcare. Very competitive salary. Great (and actually useful) benefits. Modern office in central Manchester. Great team, with lots of social opportunities. Working on the latest technology. Lots of opportunities for advancement (if you're prepared to get out of your comfort zone). Very committed to training and personal development.

Cons

Can be risk-averse (kind of goes with the territory in chip design) but this is improving. Very Cambridge-focussed, but Manchester's growth is changing that. There is a tendency to overshare internally, so you can feel like you're drowning in information at first. You soon learn how to control it though.

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Technical Writer/Information Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture, work/life balance, and modern well equipped working environments

Cons

Many complicated systems to work with, some better than other but there is steady ongoing effort to improve these and streamline processes

Arm2020-02-05
  9. "Great place to work, open minded, and very high level of skills in the teams"

Current Employee - Test Manager in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great orientation towards employee development. "We, not I" culture really shows in the company where knowledge is truly shared Always open to being challenged on old/existing processes/ways of working The technical knowledge level of teams is like in no other place, take anyone for a corridor chat, and you'll leave out of the conversation definitely knowing loads more! Management really accessible, and no less importantly, knowledgeable!

Cons

No paid canteen :( Sometimes the amount of meetings can be overwhelming, but there is ALWAYS something that can be learnt from each meeting

Arm2020-02-05
  10. "Fantastic company to work for"

Senior Engineering Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Arm

Pros

Working with great people on the latest technology in a fantastic city centre office

Cons

Very fast paced - hard to keep up at times

Arm2020-02-05

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 903 reviews