Arm Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 13 August 2017

UK - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent learning opportunities and work life balance (in 65 reviews)

• great office location and work environment (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • bad work life balance / stressful most of the time (in 17 reviews)

• The company is growing, but still rather small (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"13 months into an ARM leadership role"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering - HPC Tools in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are nice to work with, appreciative and bright.

The work/life balance is respected and many people have a keen focus on diversity and inclusion.

ARM focus on their strengths of solving tough problems and where appropriate use third parties and build success with partners. ARM don't try to do everything or win at everything. My perception is that ARM focus on an area they add value and then do a polished professional job of delivering it.

The overall compensation is highly competitive - some of my team are starting to take their sabbatical's (4 week paid holiday every 4 years - only 3 years to go :-)

I love the trust and autonomy. Despite ARM having over 4500 employees it does not feel like a bureaucratic machine. As a leader I can honestly say that there are few things which you must do in a particular way or slow me down. The processes are pragmatic and mostly there to be made up or tweaked to fit your purpose.

Cons

The nature of the work and lack of previous attention to diversity in team building has led to a narrow set of types of people you get to interact with. I appreciate ARM is taking steps to address this with a Project Everyone programme - I've got involved and hoping to see the positive impact over time.

ARM was formed in Cambridge for designing cpu's. These are not cons, but they weigh heavily as perceptual baggage. ARM is rising up as a company in many world wide locations, who can develop world class software and become dominant in IoT. Despite this Cambridge and hardware sometimes seem to be the perceived places you must be.

Advice to Management

Keep focussed on the ARM values and make sure the rapid growth and shift into new markets do not demotivate and confuse people and create slow downs in some of the key foundations that the product teams rely upon e.g. hiring, legal.

Look to learn lessons from organisations that have gone through big transformations and growth in the past e.g. IBM one of my previous employers.

2. "Challenging and rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting challenges; intelligent, amenable and friendly work environment

Cons

Limited visibility of strategy between company goals and team goals - though they're working on it

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior FPGA Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Senior FPGA Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, work env, plenty opportunities around

Cons

Process oriented - very limited scope of the job

Advice to Management

Free food please

5. "Great minds and good benefits"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for the area
    Many ways to advance
    Work with very intelligent people

Cons

Growing very fast and some strain in facilities

Advice to Management

Think more like a big company!

30 Jul 2017 – Employer Brand and Social Media Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review!

We can't wait to move into the new Cambridge office where we can all have some more elbow space!

-Rick C.
    Employer Branding & Social Media Specialist

"Great Opportunties in a Fast Growing Business"

Current Employee - IT Director in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - IT Director in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and motivated colleagues, interesting career challenges, the company understands keeping and recruiting talent is critical to success

Cons

An adolescent company that needs to mature to catch up with its growth, a small (but very vocal minority) of employees that have been there a long time and feel entitled to have say in everything and that change is a bad thing

Advice to Management

Be decisive and bold with your strategy, and empower your talented workforce to implement that strategy - be leaders

7. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company still on the up, plans to grow further, plenty of opportunity. Good culture, largely politics kept to a minimum, can get the most from just working.

Cons

Lots of change, recently purchased, appears to be going well but has given uncertainty. Benefits no longer can include equity which is sad change but expected.

HQ in UK means affected by Brexit, British employees might be losing their chance to be an EU citizen.

Main site overcapacity, leading to a reduction in the quality of the desk space

Advice to Management

Overflow on main site is a problem, potential to see reduced working area size with introduction of straight desks is somewhat a concern. Otherwise, happy to see the former upper echelons of independent ARM are mostly staying.

"Room for improvement"

Current Employee - Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Graduate Training Program. Very much focused on research and development so the work can be very interesting. People from diverse locations around the world so has a global feel to the organization. You are working with some of the smartest people in the industry.

Cons

Reactive management so feels like they following trends of leading players in the industry rather than setting them. Very poor diversity in terms of the senior positions in engineering and management in the company.

15 Aug 2017 – Employer Brand and Social Media Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review and your over 5 years of contributions to Arm.

Our Graduate rotation program allows recent grads to gain experience in a variety of teams over a set time frame. With... More

"Good Company"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Cambridge, East of England, England

Pros

In general a good employer. ARM is growing, fast-paced, lots of opportunities to develop career. The company is full of very smart people.

Cons

Supporting functions are overstretched. Can be difficult to keep a work-life balance. In general, salaries are below the industry level in different areas of the business. No benefits for contractors or fixed term.

Advice to Management

N/A

10. "Best employer up to now"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Cambridge, South West England, England
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Cambridge, South West England, England

Pros

Open, collaborative culture
    Full of super smart, can-do people
    Many opportunities in exciting and emerging areas
    Significant focus on employee happiness, wellfare, diversity and inclusion

Cons

Lots of change, which can be unsettling for some

21 Jun 2017 – Social Media and Employer Brand Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review!

We're extremely proud of the ARM work culture and strive to ensure that all employees are aware of the Core Beliefs. Our collaborative culture has lead to us being as... More

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Arm (Less than a year)

Pros

Stable employment, low risk, good people.

Cons

Bit stale and schematic work, not much excitement.

21 Jun 2017 – Social Media and Employer Brand Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review.

Looking at your review more granularly, you give us an overall rating of 3 stars, yet rate 5 stars on everything but Comp & Benefits.

I'm surprised that you found... More