Arm Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • bad work life balance / stressful most of the time (in 20 reviews)

• The company is growing very fast for the last few years might face challenges to keep the company culture (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"13 months into an ARM leadership role"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering - HPC Tools in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are nice to work with, appreciative and bright.

The work/life balance is respected and many people have a keen focus on diversity and inclusion.

ARM focus on their strengths of solving tough problems and where appropriate use third parties and build success with partners. ARM don't try to do everything or win at everything. My perception is that ARM focus on an area they add value and then do a polished professional job of delivering it.

The overall compensation is highly competitive - some of my team are starting to take their sabbatical's (4 week paid holiday every 4 years - only 3 years to go :-)

I love the trust and autonomy. Despite ARM having over 4500 employees it does not feel like a bureaucratic machine. As a leader I can honestly say that there are few things which you must do in a particular way or slow me down. The processes are pragmatic and mostly there to be made up or tweaked to fit your purpose.

Cons

The nature of the work and lack of previous attention to diversity in team building has led to a narrow set of types of people you get to interact with. I appreciate ARM is taking steps to address this with a Project Everyone programme - I've got involved and hoping to see the positive impact over time.

ARM was formed in Cambridge for designing cpu's. These are not cons, but they weigh heavily as perceptual baggage. ARM is rising up as a company in many world wide locations, who can develop world class software and become dominant in IoT. Despite this Cambridge and hardware sometimes seem to be the perceived places you must be.

Advice to Management

Keep focussed on the ARM values and make sure the rapid growth and shift into new markets do not demotivate and confuse people and create slow downs in some of the key foundations that the product teams rely upon e.g. hiring, legal.

Look to learn lessons from organisations that have gone through big transformations and growth in the past e.g. IBM one of my previous employers.

2. "Arm - best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people - the leadership team live and breathe the Arm core values and this is passed down to everyone.
    Work conditions are very good and benefits are shared, with employee welfare being a high priority. I'm sure it pays dividends - happy motivated staff will do a good job in return, and people seem to stay for a long time, some even leave and come back! Presumably because the grass is not greener on the other side.
    Innovation and ideas are encouraged, they are not a greedy grabbing company and aim to contribute both to the industry and society. Personally, I find this a refreshing change. I am really happy working here. I work with high quality people where arrogance is discouraged and collaboration is the rule. It's growing fast - that's probably my one concern, hope it's not over-expansion. Definitely the best company I have worked for and I hope to stay here for a long time.

Cons

I am really happy working here - any niggles are minuscule in perspective of having such a great work environment and a high quality management team. Slight concern that a lot of management seems to have shifted to the USA even though the bulk of staff are in the UK.

Advice to Management

Keep going with what you are doing - don't change the wonderful culture and values which make this such an amazing company. Don't have all the management in the USA - we need to see a career path in the UK too!

"The feudal system is alive and well in Arm..."

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work can be interesting and you get to work with some bright, interesting people.

Cons

1. Lack of career development...
    The feudal system is alive and well at Arm! If you want to progress you need to either enter into a marriage of convenience, build an empire or conquer and steal someone else's.

2. Constant re-organisation...
    Arm has little care for the employees caught in these manovours. The net effect of the constant shifting organisational structure is lots of very smart people being constantly displaced in favour of those who tow the line and will do as they are told without question.

3. Middle management with no vision...
    See point 2. the people who get promoted to the middle lack creativity, they are not disruptive they execute regardless of whether the plan make sense or not.

4. Out of touch upper level management...
    There is at least one very public example of a senior figure re-writing history for the purpose of self promotion. The resentment simmering in the reporting line was plain for all to see apart from the person involved it seems! Similarly Mr Segar's himself is seeing a version of reality different to those on the ground.

5. A highly creative workforce being crushed by grind and lack of leadership...
    In the world of the FTSE 100 you are only as good as your ability to hit a quarter. Arm devolved from a "innovate to survive" culture to a sausage factory churning out product after product to feed the licensing machine. Innovation only happens if it's for free and fits with in the schedule for the next release. This does the very talented people that work at ARM a disservice.

6. A non-executable growth plan
    The growth that Masa Son promised the UK government is almost impossible to deliver. The talent pool does not exist in the UK at present. In a post brexit world Europeans are difficult to attract and with the tightening visa requirements its harder and more expensive to bring in people from other parts of the world. What advice have hiring managers been given in this environment? "Lower your expectations."

Quite apart from this Arm can't actually house all the people with the facility's plan that's currently in place. The solution? Give everyone a smaller desk and increase the density.

Advice to Management

Someone once said "Madness is repeating the same action and expecting a different outcome..." Appointing or promoting those that only know execution to the upper levels is a sure fire way to kill the business.

23 Nov 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for sharing your views. We are at a stage in our growth where we are making changes to scale up our organisation to take on new challenges so your feedback on how you are experiencing this... More

"Losing its way"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, old exec still excellent

Cons

New exec more concerned with themselves, hiring too wuickly and losing the Arm Culture.

"A once great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Arm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People on a general basis within the business, culture was great in the past, some great technology work and some great thinking on progressive culture

Cons

Old boys network, restructures are same people at senior level in different boxes, if you raise your hand about an issue you can guarantee you’ll be leaving very soon after, lacks innovation and creativity, focus on status and self at senior level and not creating great teams. Needs to be braver and get rid of those people making bad decisions. Sadly a once great company is going downhill very quickly.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people in your own image, appreciate difference and realise the mistakes you have made that mean good people have left either voluntarily or involuntarily. You might believe people are happy but they really aren’t they we just too scared to say because it gets personal.

"Great company but hampered by poor exec leadership"

Current Employee - Commercial Leader in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Commercial Leader in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working that really makes a difference
    Great benefits to help retain staff
    Dynamic environment and lots of growth
    Cash rich
    Great CEO

Cons

Poor on process thinking
    Poor exec leadership - CIO is diabolical
    Could be brilliant if we weren't such busy fools
    Too much politics at each level

Advice to Management

Start leading from the top and demonstrate a joined up team

8. "Best place to work in tech"

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great culture and loads of projects to get involved with

- Friendly people & very little micro management

- Mostly good work life balance. Can be intense but lots of flexibility

- Pay seems fair (could always be more!) & plenty of opportunities for promotion

- Just introduced a brilliant new benefit called FlexPot -always a handful of people who are never happy but everyone I've spoken to loves it! Shows Arm really cares about developing people

Cons

- Lots of change all the time

Advice to Management

- Keep listening and keep investing in great people

24 Oct 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for leaving a review!

"Great and fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Loughborough, England
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Loughborough, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are very nice and easy to work with.
    Excellent benefit package and keep improving.
    Very good work/life balance.
    Free on-site parking.
    Free snacks and fruits, coffee maker.

Cons

Catering need to be improved.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, strong work-life balance, passionate and interesting colleagues, good communication from top levels on the status of current projects and the direction of the company.

Cons

HR needs massive improvement--very difficult to get started as a new employee due to lack of organisation/effort from the talent team.

16 Oct 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks so much for leaving a review!

We are continually refocusing on our employee experience and in our people strategy this year, we agreed on-boarding was a top priority to ensure our new... More

11. "A great place to 'be your excellent self'"

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Scrum Master in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I fell that I am listened to, I feel empowered to do my job, I feel part of the team

Cons

Nothing springs to mind - I'm very content

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your are doing