Arm Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.1
Arm Chief Executive Officer Simon Segars
Simon Segars

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "people work life balance city great office" (in 147 reviews)

• "Arm offers a great work environment with a good work-life balance" (in 81 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance might be tricky in some positions although may not be a problem if you enjoy what you are doing" (in 23 reviews)

• "The company is growing very fast for the last few years might face challenges to keep the company culture" (in 11 reviews)

"Empowered to deliver!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, South West England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, South West England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Upon joining Arm, I was sceptical as to whether the core beliefs that were spoken of, along with the 'smiling faces' would fade once in the business. 6 months in and I have been pleasantly surprised. I, fortunately, have an awesome Manager that facilitates me with what's needed to deliver and essentially do my job! The teams are all open to ideas, the collaborative nature is fostered in most parts of the business and you are genuinely encouraged to think creatively- this diverse and freethinking mindset fuels an amazingly innovative environment. I cannot thank everyone for making me feel so welcomed, listening to my ideas, adapting to the exceptionally fast change I have begun delivering and just embracing the pace and continuous improvement mentality. I genuinely feel, for the first time in my career (which is a healthy one) - I have found my tribe!

Cons

Whilst the business has stemmed from a foundation of 'partnering' there are some areas that seek approval more than others, which create a foundation for difficult conversations. But with that being said, the business is adapting, changing and evolving into what the world needs today- with exponential growth, fractures from longer-standing individuals appear due to change. Personally, I don't see this a negative, but rather a positive - Arm is full of opportunity, challenges, pace and change and will suit people like me that thrive in that sort of an environment- if this sounds like somewhere you, like me will thrive - come and join our tribe :)

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to make decisions and call out things that aren't working, as well as celebrating the smaller successes. We are in a world of fast-paced change, so this needs to be considered with decision making (in what is now a large global business, not a 10 person business), waiting for large team consensus can cause delays and leads to missed opportunities.

2. "Cambridge"

I have been working at Arm full-time

Pros

People, team collaboration, flexibility to work from home

Cons

Workload, systems integration, lack of pace

"Manager at Arm"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent people and technology, good benefits

Cons

Senior Management changing to US based alpha males with the American hire/fire culture becoming more common

Advice to Management

We will lose good staff if they don’t like the new culture and if they can’t see leadership career opportunities for themselves outside the USA

4. "Analysts"

I have been working at Arm full-time

Pros

Good and challenging work always

Cons

Stressful and challenging work always

5. "Too demanding"

I have been working at Arm full-time

Pros

interesting work and get to do challenging work

Cons

little pay for what you do

Advice to Management

Pay you employees more for the work they do

6. "Interesting work and great benefits"

I worked at Arm full-time

Pros

Well established company with good employee benefits

Cons

Rapidly running out of space - less ideal working conditions

7. "Review"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting projects to work on.

Cons

Administration and politics are getting more important than before. Thids is due to the company has been growing fast recently.

"Software Engineer"

I have been working at Arm full-time

Pros

Great Technology being developed
    Great people to work with

Cons

The increasing presence of politics in the company can be distracting

"Incompetence, nepotism, and constant reorgs"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Cambridge, South West England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ARM has a big community of talented engineers who try to create the next cool project, working close with each other. No politics there.

The work/life balance is great, much better than all my previous companies, especially the ones in London.

Cons

In my role I work closely with the engineering community to deliver projects but also the management community, who seem to be widely inept and ineffective.

The commercial areas get promotions far more quickly than the engineering groups so you will notice a huge number of directors and senior directors who don't have a good idea of what they're doing who play politics and mind-games and who are usually a hindrance to the success of engineering projects.

Annually we see those people get promoted over far more competent people despite lackluster delivery and ignorance of the Arm (HR's) behaviors. How? By knowing other people at high grades and playing politics. I have to report to a number of these senior directors and their lack of basic knowledge of our own products drives me crazy.

This year we had two consecutive rounds of people let go but no senior people were affected. Instead it seems that engineers were the primary target which has led to a low morale in my team and an uncertainty for 2019.

The executive committee makes constant reorganisations moves people around. The last reorg is superceded by a new reorg just in time when people get used to their new positions and team names. We have had 4 such reorganisations in the last 6 months companywide. The CEO is never to be found only really visible during the quarterly updates & annual e-mail. He has not done anything to solve any of the major issues plaguing the company.

Functions are substandard. The usual commentary on Glassdoor is about IT which offers horrible systems has been outsourced so much that even simple IT tickets can't be answered well and cant even support a good conferencing application. The company as a whole has lost thousands of engineering days trying to make our tools work. What has happened to the IT management team? They have been promoted. Other teams are even worse.

Advice to Management

Start looking at the ineffectiveness in upper management. Your leaders aren't really leaders
    Start looking at reviewing the performance of grades 7 and above
    Start leading by example and not hiding under your desks
    Stop looking at engineers as "resources" to play with
    Enough with the reorganisations

Arm Response

11 Feb 2019 – Global Talent Brand Manager

When the cons outweigh the pros, it's evident you aren't happy and this certainly isn't how we want our people to feel. Your feedback is honest and extensive and for that, I'd like to thank you... More

10. "Arm in Cambridge"

I worked at Arm full-time

Pros

Lovely company to work for with good flexible working options in many departments.

Cons

Company is facing some growing strains as it transitions from a UK based tech company to a more Global company.