Close Reviews

Close CEO Steli Efti
Steli Efti
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

One of the best remote cultures of any business I've worked with

Nov 28, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote working is the future and it's great to find a company that embraces it so fully. Schedules are flexible and as long as the work gets done, nobody really minds when you work. I've met people from all over the world, and twice a year we all get together in the same place. Everyone cares about the product and the business, and are truly some of the best at what they do. The hiring process is rigorous but it has to be to enable the company culture and ensure people can work together well. They would rather accept the "right" person for the company than the "best" person in the field. Everyone is a little bit mad :)

Cons

If you've never worked remotely before it would be a challenge to adapt. It's also difficult to structure your day around certain meetings due to the differences in timezones. I've found myself working later and later. The benefits offered are great but only if you live in the US. There is no healthcare, dental or 401k otherwise.

5 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Team Awesome

Aug 2, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The best team I ever worked with: supportive, welcoming, fun. Remote work allows spending more time with family. Close really values long-term relationships with individuals and treats them with respect.

Cons

Remote work comes with a set of challenges. You have to take responsibility for your work day, for maintaining work/life balance etc (don't expect others to fix your day).

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome experience, team, and benefits

Jun 7, 2021 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

Absolutely love this team and our mission––and the day-to-day is my favorite job to date. You'll get a lot of autonomy (but regular check-ins and guidance to make sure your priorities are aligned). Very few meetings and a true remote-first, asynchronous culture. Work on your schedule with little micromanaging and really great benefits. Feels like a very mature company culture with mutual respect and employee investment, plus––we're building a cool product that customers actually love, which feels affirming.

Cons

Some of the smaller departments are still building project management processes, so there's sometimes confusion that we need to clear up in team meetings and regular syncs about what's gotten done/still needs to be done. It's still much more manageable than other companies I've worked at though, so it's not really a complaint. More of just my only regular bump in the road.

2 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A truly inclusive, hard-working, and fun team!

Jun 8, 2021 - Marketing in Olite
    Business Outlook

Pros

Having worked remotely for almost a decade at various companies, I can safely say that Close is better equipped for remote than most other companies. Workaholism is never encouraged or praised. Instead, work-life balance is regularly celebrated (seriously, there's even a Slack channel for it). The best part of Close is the people. This is a seriously fun bunch who are all focused on and dedicated to giving the best to our customers. As someone with a disability, I sometimes find it hard to find my place in a group. But everyone on my immediate team (and really within the whole company) has been extremely understanding and helpful, even before they knew about my disability. Leadership at Close is honest and straightforward, they openly recognize their mistakes and are constantly working to improve the work-life of the employees. I always recommend Close as a great place to work for my family and friends. I wish all remote companies were like this!

Cons

None that I can think of!

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Couldn’t imagine working anywhere else!

Jun 16, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

*Amazing remote culture and team. The people, hands down, are the best part of working at Close. Truly one of the best groups of humans I’ve ever encountered. *Open communication and transparency. No BS approach. No conversation is off limits. *Autonomous work environment - there’s a great balance of being able to do my job with little oversight, but enough guidance to make sure I’m on track *Flexible remote environment, work-life balance + incredible benefits. The company really values and invests in the whole individual, both in and outside of work *The bi-annual team retreats (in a non-COVID world) are amazing <3 *Thoughtful and inspiring leadership team. Really grateful for their transparency with decision making, which was very apparent throughout the COVID pandemic.

Cons

*Remote work isn’t for everyone - you have to be self-disciplined and self-motivated to stay on track.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Build a house you want to live in

Jun 8, 2021 - Engineering
    Business Outlook

Pros

Close is an amazing place to work because of a great remote-first culture, a focus on high-quality work, and a high level of trust/autonomy. The company has a value of "Build a house you want to live in" which is reflected in a number of ways: 1) Employees stick around - not high churn 2) High quality work, product, and codebase 3) People care about the company, their work, and each other 4) A truly remote-only culture with an emphasize on async work Finally – it's very clear the company cares about each individual, new and old. A recent example of this was how thoughtfully the company handled an uncertain situation at the beginning of COVID-19. Compensation & benefits are very good, especially for remote.

Cons

High expectations; you have to be very self-motivated; limited opportunities for growing into people management since the company is relatively small (< 50) - however there are lots of other growth/leadership opportunities for individual contributors.

7. 5.0

Great team, great culture

Jun 24, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Culture, leadership genuinely cares about employees (and employees care about each other) - High level of autonomy, never been in a meeting I thought was pointless - Remote first culture, company has been remote (and got very good at it) way before Covid - Small team, so everyone has a big impact - Quality codebase, fun to work on, interesting technical problems - "Shape Up" project management methodology works very well

Cons

Really nothing significant, which is a huge pro by itself. Being nitpicky, it can be hard to step away and take vacation sometimes (although the time off allocation is very good) - this is possibly my own problem though!

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

I Found My Tribe...

Jun 15, 2021 - Customer Support
    Business Outlook

Pros

Showing up to work at Close every day is utterly the most fulfilling thing I do. From day 1, you meet this amazing tight group with inside jokes, years of stories together(and embarrassing pictures to unleash on birthdays) who immediately make you feel like part of something impactful. The daily job responsibilities are challenging, keep me on my toes and always learning and growing. Management is supportive of whatever interest you may want to pursue in and out of your JD.

Cons

Really none, you don't have to compromise on anything in Close.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

A really good place to work

Jun 11, 2021 - Team Member
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Leadership genuinely cares about the people who work here * Good company culture and leadership actively seeks out feedback to improve * Competitive compensation and generous benefits * Motivated and thoughtful colleagues who take pride in their work * Large degree of autonomy

Cons

Because we are a small company and there's a lot we want to accomplish, sometimes it can feel hard to step away for more than a few days at a time.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

WOW WOW WOW - What a company, what a future!

Jun 21, 2021 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Bootstrapped (and profitable)... - This means we only answer to our customers (customer focused) - Freedom to do meaningful work without politics or red tape - Highly collaborative team, welcoming of different ideas and personalities - Flexibility (fully remote, flexible hours, team trust and understanding)

Cons

I've worked in tech companies large and small and nothing compares to the experience at Close. No cons to mention!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 30 Reviews