Diageo Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.8
Diageo CEO Ivan Menezes
Ivan Menezes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Celebrate life / good perks & work life balance" (in 97 reviews)

• "Great company Great brands Great package" (in 130 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance at times can be hard to achieve" (in 46 reviews)

• "Decision making can be a bit slow, also the ongoing pressure to deliver on quarterly financial performance is always there" (in 52 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The perfect blend!"

Pros

Unique in how the company and people care about the performance we deliver, the inclusion of all employees plus the impact on communities and society. Genuinely have freedom to determine the impact you want to have, the way you want to work, and to try out new ideas and build your career. Working with such iconic brands you feel privileged and excited every day to be holding the torch for their future. A globally connected company, that despite its size is only 30,000 people means it feels like a real community and somewhere that is both ambitious and incredibly fun to work at with people you care about.

Cons

It is good to see the business making changes in areas that are needed. Being less internally focused and more geared to customers and consumers will make sure we focus on the things that are fewer and most important, and remove some unnecessary complexity that has increased over time by being too inward looking. Also because it has been so internally driven for so long it can be hard to sometimes see that changes being made in the company are not only essential, they are being driven (often far harder!) in most other companies in order to stay competitive in this fast changing world. Need to keep doing more to bring the outside world in to keep perspective on what is truly important.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what makes this company great - investing in incredible brands, growing talented and diverse people and caring about our impact on communities.

19 Nov 2018 – Social Media Team

Hello there,

What a fantastic review to read, its a delight to read that you're thoroughly enjoying your time at Diageo - your review sums up perfectly why this is such a great company to work... More

2. "Fun, fast-paced, stretching and performance orientated"

Current Employee - Head of Talent in London, England
    Current Employee - Head of Talent in London, England

I have been working at Diageo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Purpose led organisation with deep routed values and a leadership standard which everyone understands. Heritage and quality of products are amazing. Opportunity to make improvements and get things done! Inclusion and diversity are at the top of the agenda which is brilliant - I've worked in many other companies and I've never seen such an acute focus on this critical topic. People genuinely has passion for the business (for me this really makes a difference).

Cons

Similar to lots of large corporate organisations we have some longer administrative processes (so let's continue to simplify). It's great that we're a relational business however when you're new it can be harder to navigate the organisation to get things done quickly.

Advice to Management

Where possible lets keep simplifying our sometimes over-complicated processes thus empowering our people to make the difference. We're getting there; we just need to keep focus here.

3. "Menstrie Bond"

Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Diageo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pension and salary ,full wages when absent with illness ,Good graduate programme bringing younger educated and civilised ,respectful.management into work place

Cons

No cons always try to look forward

Advice to Management

Graduate programme is good ,listen to employees input a bit more when new projects affect our every day working

4. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in London, England
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in London, England

I worked at Diageo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great offices, good work life balance

Cons

Like any large company, it’s a little slow moving in terms of technological advances and change.

5. "Brand Home Guide"

Current Employee - Brand Home Guide in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Brand Home Guide in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Diageo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good monetary benefits, pensions etc.

Cons

Deep hierarchical management structure, jobsworth culture

6. "Good working experience, good benefits, remote locations, salaries lower than industry competitors"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Diageo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Secure and stable jobs, non- hierarchical environment, flexible working ( 1 - 2 days from home per week while office based), good shares option if staying 3+ years. Overall pleasant environment and good trainings available. Great products employees are actually proud of and buy themselves.

Cons

Lower salaries, no increases, slow promotions, unclear career path, some departments are very political. Policies allow many life/work solutions, however depends on your manager if you actually get to use them.

Advice to Management

You need to review your salaries to make them competitive in the region you operate in. Employees are working 50 hours a week on 35 hour contract to take home 70-80% of what their peers earn in London. You need to calibrate raises, people are forced to move departments or even company because their salaries net worth is actually going down with annual 'recommended 1-2%' -raise. Commute is long, workload is big but I can't afford to see therapist or go for a massage to take care of myself AND go abroad on my leave. Most of your employees level 4 and down flatshare even in their thirties. It's a shame that with a college degree and 7+ of experience for a multinational company this is what I get as pay. Advice: Make career paths clearer. Make managers accountable for developing their subordinates, not just around annual survey. Reinvest in your employees!

7 Nov 2018 – Social Media Team

Hi there,

Thanks for leaving a review, certainly sounds like you're enjoying your time here at Diageo. I appreciate you taking your time to leave such an extensive 'Advice to Management', I'll be... More

7. "Little career progression, good benefits"

I have been working at Diageo full-time

Pros

19 percent pension
    Good bonus structure
    Good travel opps

Cons

Too many reorgs
    Very difficult to progress
    Each year more roles leave London

8. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Diageo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment
    Open Mangement style
    Good experience

Cons

Need to invest in people better (for long term success)

9. "Bad management decisions"

I worked at Diageo full-time

Pros

none really, not bad benefits but bad pay for admin

Cons

lots of negatives, bullying culture aloud to breed, management no skills to address the issues within teams and allow it to breed by turning blind eye. Valuing each other (1 of Diageo's values) does not exist, people continually putting others down. If your face fits you are fine, but if you don't then you've had it, suck up to management and you can then easily manipulate them and get away with things that no one else gets away with. too many issues to list.

Advice to Management

change of culture required

10. "An amazing company with terrific values"

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing in London, England

I have been working at Diageo (More than 8 years)

Pros

When people join Diageo they are amazed at how extraordinary the people are. A strong spirit of collaboration and entreprenurialism

Cons

People who leave Diageo often find it difficult to find another company with such a positive culture.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in people

17 Oct 2018 – Social Media Team

Hi there,

Amazing to hear that you're thoroughly enjoying your time here at Diageo! Thank you for leaving a review.

Joshua