Evans Cycles Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Evans Cycles Reviews

Updated 30 Nov 2019

2.9
Evans Cycles CEO Steve Trowbridge  (no image)
Steve Trowbridge
Pros
  • "Staff discount scheme is huge (as good as a pay rise for any cyclist(in 20 reviews)

• "Trade discount and ride to work scheme is good(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Staff are required to accept homophobic, racist and sexist language which is likened to petty name calling by head office(in 13 reviews)

• "Rude customers expecting the world from minimum wage slaves(in 10 reviews)

1. "Good fun"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Durham, England

I have been working at Evans Cycles part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Trade discount Flexible hours Good range of bikes

Cons

Long hours Minimal pay Poor bonus system

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Evans Cycles2019-06-19
  2. "Ok"

Former Employee - Mechanic

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time

Pros

Great bunch of people to work with.

Cons

Senior management just focus on numbers

Evans Cycles2019-11-30
  3. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Evans Cycles part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discounts Meet people with a similar interest

Cons

Low pay and long hours

Evans Cycles2019-11-25
  4. "Great people, less great upper management"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company was a great company. If you're a bike fanatic, what better place to be than working in a bike shop? The processes are well established and the computer system fairly intuitive, if a bit clunky to grasp. Like with any retail store, targets had to be met, but we all had fun doing it. Far and away the people you meet along the way made the job worth doing - nothing like meeting like minded people who... happened to also be great colleagues.

Cons

The company now has become further and further stretched, with budgets being savaged and benefits being curtailed. Stores are doing twice the business with half the people. Store managers are pressured to pull results without the resources they need. Colleagues are also being paid FAR below industry standard, and little is being done to raise low morale.

Evans Cycles2019-11-14
  5. "Overall good"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits and flexible working hours

Cons

A lot of communication issues

Advice to Management

Improve with communication overall

Evans Cycles2019-11-12
  6. "I got lucky with a good manager and colleagues"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, get to work in cycling industry, bonus helps, staff discount

Cons

Low wages, low staffing levels led to upset customers and unnecessary stress

Advice to Management

London living wage

Evans Cycles2019-09-18
  7. "Head Office to Avoid. Move On!"

Former Employee - Commercial in Horsham, England

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Majority of the people are friendly, and it’s local to those who don’t want to travel into London. Good discount for cycling enthusiasts.

Cons

Only way to get a pay rise is to hand in your notice. Bought out by Sports Direct. No logistical or operational plan to deliver what Sports Direct want. Management just say yes and have no idea how to implement it themselves. Everyone leaving left, right and centre, with a huge struggle to recruit, and fill jobs. Lack of support from management to get the job done.

Advice to Management

Learn how the current system works before implementing changes.

Evans Cycles2019-10-17
  8. "If you love cycling there is a good chance this will crush your passion."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Bristol, England

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Met some amazing people, customers and the odd senior management who genuinely cared. about you and your team. Learnt some very important life/work lessons. My life would undoubtedly be very different if I hadn’t worked for the company. However, looking back, working for that company had a very detrimental affect on me. I probably didn’t learn anything I couldn’t of learnt elsewhere.

Cons

Low pay- if your promoted from within you will get less than those hired from outside the company and then be asked to train those individuals. Experienced shop floor staff are on the same as someone with little to no experience. However I do understand rates of pay have changed for the better since I left. Poor benefits package, especially if you are not on a managerial wage. The value of trade discount... has almost all but been wiped out due to online discount retailers. There are exceptions to this with newly released product and some P&A . I have no real problem getting the same as trade price if I look in the right places. The sheer number of directors and new senior management I experienced in my time was bewildering. The direction of the ship so to speak was constantly changing as were the goal posts on expectations. Trying to engage and motivate a team who were constantly suspicious of this ever changing landscape was probably one of my hardest tasks. Long hours- senior managements approach towards most things that required more man power was simply for people to work longer. Are the classic pizza nights still a thing? I get that in retail this is occasionally needed but it was the norm while I was there. If you couldn’t get staff or rather bribe staff then you either faced the fallout of not getting it done or you just stayed and did it yourself. When you told senior managers you didn’t have time, almost always the response would centre around needing to be more efficient with your time and getting more out of people rather than accepting you just don’t have enough man power. Targets were more often than not un-realistic. I worked in one of the highest turnover stores and even when the retail economic outlook was accepted as poor for the industry and sales are dropping across the company and industry, targets would continue to rise. Great way to motivate haha As a company Evans Cycles is part of a much larger problem within large high street and online retailing that centres around discounting/price structures and an ever increasing level of customers who’s expectations are wildly out of sync with reality and the general population.

Advice to Management

Downsize: store numbers and senior management. Stop pretending to listen to staff and actually do it. Get some back bone and stop pandering to the manipulative, abusive and bullying customers you get.

Evans Cycles2019-09-30
  9. "Evans worker"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in East Dulwich, England

I have been working at Evans Cycles part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible rota happy to work around university Good management Fantastic discount on parts, accessories and bikes

Cons

Pay Not much opportunity for job progression

Advice to Management

Provide more job opportunities

Evans Cycles2019-08-21
  10. "The Toys'r'Us of the Cycling world"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Nottingham, England

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Limited staff discount and health shield benefit.

Cons

Outdated IT systems leaves customers upset which store staff take the brunt. Dial up speed internet means in-store training is almost impossible, huge amounts of time wasted waiting for IT systems to work. Awful company intranet! Inaccurate stock systems. Customers being double charged every day. Woeful communication from head office, mixed messages and confusion every week. High pressure, high staff turnover,... poor pay especially for retail staff. Staff are required to accept homophobic, racist and sexist language which is likened to petty name calling by head office. Zero staff protection from head office, ALL retail staff are replaceable attitude, abuse of store staff is acceptable. No recognition for long service. Excessive waste (especially paper/card) via awful in-store campaigns which don't work. A new CEO every year! No overtime pay!

Advice to Management

Close down CSO (head office) in Gatwick, make everyone redundant and transfer everything to sports direct. Invest in a real time stock system. Stack it high, sell it cheap. Leave the premium stuff to the independent stores.

Evans Cycles2019-09-11