Manpower Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.5
Manpower Managing Director Mark Cahill
Mark Cahill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance, good commission (in 50 reviews)

• They help you get a decent job with good pay (in 42 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing company to work for."

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Leeds, England

I have been working at Manpower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Manpower - Understand your needs, great work / life balance, very flexible and understanding.
    They actually care and want what is best for you

Cons

I really don't think there is many cons. Manpower is a global company so changing things are not so simple and not so quick.

Manpower Response

26 Oct 2017 – Managing Director, Manpower UK

Thank you for sharing this review. Our business has undergone big changes this year so it's pleasing to hear from colleagues who are benefitting from the greater flexibility we have introduced. I... More

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Manpower part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff and efficient communication.

Cons

No opportunity for career growth or promotion

3. "Account Consultant"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Bristol, England
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Bristol, England

I worked at Manpower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learning and Development has been emphasized within the last 3 years

Cons

None - I was very happy within my role

4. "Royalmail"

Former Employee - Postal Worker in Lincoln, England
    Former Employee - Postal Worker in Lincoln, England

I worked at Manpower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fantastic agency , helped with holidays & keeping employment

Cons

no gurantee to work everyday

5. "Working for BT, West Bromwich, but employed by Manpower"

Current Employee - Customer Welcome Advisor in West Bromwich, England
    Current Employee - Customer Welcome Advisor in West Bromwich, England

I have been working at Manpower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wage - The wage of £8.53ph to spend all day, working typically 8.5hr shifts (inc 30 min lunch + 2 15 min breaks) from 08:00 - 21:00 isn't too bad. Saturday is normal pay but Sunday is 1.5x (£10.66).

Shifts - You have a few options of shift patterns - some do lates one week (starting at 11.30 - 12.30 and finishing at 20:00 or 21:00 respectively) and earlies the next (starting at 8 or 9am and finishing at 16.30 or 17:30). These vary in so much as you might start at 08:15 or 09:45. Some, including myself, have a varied shift pattern, working a mixture of early and late shifts each week.

Manpower rep on site - Handy having a Manpower Rep, now on site full time (wasn't the case before 2018) as well as the BT management structure.

Location - The location near central West Bromwich is good, Bus station is a slow 10 minutes or speedy 7ish minutes away, through New Square which has big Tesco etc (see New Square shopping in West Brom for more info).

Benefits - Manpower staff get the same benefits as BT staff, i.e. free Infinity Internet (but you have to pay line rental (£18.99 assuming via direct debit), free BT Sport, Free BT TV, and a few other things.

Cons

No more conversions - I was told when I start last April/ May, as was everyone else that started at BT prior to 2018, that one would be employed by Manpower but then the contract would be converted to a BT contract in around 9 months, assuming not too many absences/ poor performance etc). BT staff, doing the same job, get paid thousands more (4 or 5,000 I think) and when one has a BT contract one could get out of the call centre and go to work in BT Sport, Openreach, etc. We were told a couple of months ago that no one else is being converted, and the only way to be employed by BT (and so get a permanent contract with more money) is when BT start advertising, which may not be in 2018. Manpower remain advertising and we constantly see newbies in the call centre, whilst experienced staff leave in search of a permanent contract. Some have worked for Manpower for 18 months having been told by Managers to wait until next month, next month.

Temporary contract - Temp contract has the benefit of only needing a week's notice, but trying to get a loan or mortgage etc is tricky.

BT staff get paid more - People that happened to have been employed when staff were converted, doing the same, no more senior role, get paid monthly and get paid, as I said above, at least £4,000 more, if not £5k.

Manpower rep - Though it's nice having full-time rep on site she remains new to the role and so asking for information either takes some time to get or one gets it quickly but it's wrong.

Manpower benefits - Manpower are larger than BT, but the benefits you get as a result of being employed by Manpower are dismal and I don't know anyone making use of them.

Working late - I don't think anyone likes leaving at 21:00 for no higher a wage, though some don't like getting to work for 08:00, and sometimes you have a 21:00 finish followed by an 08:00 start. If you live outside West Brom this will mean maybe 6 hours sleep.

Development - partly because of not being employed by BT I think, becoming anything more than a call centre advisor is tricky. There are some that are happy just coming to work that don't have my ambition, though.

6. "Monotonous work"

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Liverpool, England
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Manpower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff I work with are nice.

Cons

Divide and conquer type situation.

Advice to Management

You can't have people being paid the same money for doing an hour longer than the other staff members each day. Unfair practices and the managers can't change anything.

7. "Working for manpower"

Current Employee - IBM/HST Engineer in Highbridge, England
    Current Employee - IBM/HST Engineer in Highbridge, England

I have been working at Manpower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Holiday days and sick days.

Cons

Saturday days introduced. No increases in salary. No career progression.

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Reading, England

I have been working at Manpower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great support from my Regional manager. Regular development sessions. Happy team spirit with everyone working together to achieve a common goal.

Cons

The downside of recruitment, where a lot of the outcome is beyond your contol

Advice to Management

Keep the development sessions and the way you lisen to your team

9. "Great place to work but training needs improvement."

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Manpower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lovely people and the role itself gives you a fantastic feeling. They also have good benefits for Perm consultants and a great development scheme.

Cons

The training isn't up to scratch, they need more guidance for new starters especially if they don't have previous recruitment experience

Advice to Management

Have more structure to training so that new starters are set up for success

10. "Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Bristol, England
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Bristol, England

I worked at Manpower full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Huge Emphasis placed upon personal development from within the last 2 years. This drives the potential for Internal progression across the whole of the ManpowerGroup.

Cons

There has been well-publicized change over the last year which has streamlined the operation, I hope this positive effort will create a more modern and agile firm.

Manpower Response

8 May 2018 – Managing Director, ManpowerGroup UK

Thank you for your considered review. I am pleased to see that our focus on progression and development is being felt across the organisation – we’re seeing some great results and this will remain a... More

Showing 1,213 of 2,485 reviews