Peninsula Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 17 February 2017

Full-time Part-time

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • The perfect programme to get you set up for a successful career in HR or employment law, excellent training from highly experienced HR and (in 29 reviews)

• Great atmosphere, beautiful working environment (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no real downsides, it is a fast paced environment giving you a steep learning curve in a busy environment (in 21 reviews)

• Fast paced environment which may not suit everyone for an extended time (in 6 reviews)

1. "Company review"

Current Employee - Regional Senior Business Safety Consultant in Wakefield, England

I have been working at Peninsula full-time

Pros

Direction of the company in terms of goals, its aspirations, what it expects employees to deliver and what the company also wish to deliver to the employees to ensure success its clearly understood by employees. The company doesn't have managers but has leaders and every member of the management team understands that leadership must be earned to ensure success of the company.

Cons

To be a successful employee one should also be prepared to go beyond call of standard job delivery.

Advice to Management

In addition to the current high standards of uniform employees rewarding, continue to design rewarding system which obviously reward those employees who consistently go an extra mile and this could be in the form of measurable individual objectives for managers/supervisors and small teams goals for employees that are assessed at end of year and employees/teams receiving their personal special bonus based on their percentage of achievement. For example a 100% personal objectives achievement may result in an extra one month's salary and a 5% achievement may result in the employee only getting 5% of his/her monthly salary as extra bonus.

10 Feb 2017 – Digital Reputation Co-ordinator

Thanks for the review of what it's like working for Peninsula. We are always looking for new ways to improve and become an even better employer. We take on-board all the feedback we receive. Kind ... More

"Some good perks but severely underpaid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at Peninsula full-time

Pros

Made some amazing friends and super busy and fast-paced environment. Good work/life balance with great social event opportunities within work.

Cons

I found Peninsula very good at paying the bare minimum (at least the roles I had whilst there). Stressful and busy roles SUPER underpaid. Seemed common with other employees I spoke to. Policies seem to be RIDICULOUSLY STRICT. Having to fill out forms to explain why you logged in to your phone 90 seconds late for example. There are lots of processes like this which create unnecessary work for everyone. But management (at least in the Advice Department) make the effort to appear laid back when really, the processes are the opposite. I accepted a role on a team and told the salary was set and not changeable. A few months later, another person started on the team who had tonnes less experience than myself and no qualifications and was 6-7 years younger and was started on a higher salary than me - maybe it helped this person's sibling worked in a low senior position. Not good for team morale. I then learned there were two interns on the team who were yet to graduate, had no qualifications or experience and were almost 10 years younger than myself but were on the same salary. Very disheartening.

Advice to Management

Scrap some of your ridiculously petty processes and treat your staff like people. I was lucky enough to really love my manager and felt super lucky to have the privilege of working with her. But found the company policies and processes were out of hand. Pay your people the money they deserve and not the least you can get away with (like in my case.)

21 Feb 2017 – Digital Reputation Co-ordinator

At Peninsula we expect all our employees to be the ultimate professionals and give our members the best service and support on the market, they are our biggest focus. What we don't listen to is ... More

3. "Health and Safety Department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Peninsula full-time

Pros

Great company to work for and at department level Consultants manage their own diary, have a Flexible work pattern and get benefits from generating new business. Working in the field means every day is a different environment with new challenges and gives me the chance to help someone with my health and safety knowledge.

Cons

A fast pace, with large portfolios means it can be very annoying when members cancel a prearranged visit.

3 Feb 2017 – Digital Reputation Co-ordinator

Thank you for the review of working within the Health & Safety team, we really appreciate it. We know H&S can be a complex area and your expertise and knowledge is a real support yo our members ... More

5. "Employer review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Pros

Peninsula provides some very good working conditions and benefits. The salary is relatively competitive and the comany holiday allowance is excellent. Overall packages vary but generally, they are a very fair employer offering great support to their employees.

Cons

Internal management systems are clunky and communication is sometimes lacking.
    The salary review system is poor, there does not appear to be any real structure for pay and most employees have gone many years without a pay increase. An annual Profit share scheme is in place but this is never guaranteed and has caveats associated with attendance records. Similarly, fuel allowances are slow to rise to meet fluctuating pump prices. Car allowances for those who drive company financed cars are low and have seen no changes for many many years. The employee appraisal system is immature and ineffective.

Advice to Management

The managements systems pertaining to procedures for most HR type issues and other elements of internal communication don't appear to have been considered holistically, so it would be good to see an improvement in the main portals to ensure that the very clunky forms that we use for example travel requests are easier to use and review in terms of the status. Review pay structure with a view to providing an annual increase to meet the inflation rate. This could be financed in part by stopping the Annual unpredictable profit sharing payments. Annual performance reviews are taken negatively be many employees as they do not see any benefits arising from this bi-annual process. Many will say they see it as a demotivator. Perhaps management could introduce an enhance performance related pay system to make the process appear worthwhile to the employee.

6. "Company Review"

Current Employee - Business Sales Executive in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Business Sales Executive in Manchester, England

Pros

I'm currently in my second week here at Peninsula. I'm finding the role and company very interesting, exciting, and very professional. All staff are very friendly, approachable with a professional manner. The location is very accessible to get too, and the office is a fantastic building with great views overlooking the city of Manchester.

Cons

I have not seen or noticed any downside to this company.

3 Feb 2017 – Digital Reputation Co-ordinator

We're delighted your finding your career at peninsula enjoyable, We'll look forward to reading your next review in 12 months. Thanks for the feedback Kind regards, Ryan

7. "Peninsula Review"

Current Employee - Business Sales Team in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Business Sales Team in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Peninsula full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The 2-week induction is nothing less than exceptional, having been carefully planned with the emphasis being on making sure that candidates are not bombarded with too much information. The very best induction that I have been part of.

Cons

At the moment I do not see any cons as long as you work hard and turn up on time you should be ok.

Advice to Management

None.

3 Feb 2017 – Digital Reputation Co-ordinator

We aim to empower our employees and the two weeks of induction and training will give everyone the best possible tools to be successful with Peninsula. With hard work and dedication the rewards will ... More

8. "Best Place To Work For"

I have been working at Peninsula full-time

Pros

Developed my career fast in the two years of joining Peninsula, It is a fast paced environment but with a work ethic of work hard play hard.

Cons

no comments to add, happy place, happy company look forward to developing my career here :)

3 Feb 2017 – Digital Reputation Co-ordinator

We're delighted you have found your career to be enjoyable at Peninsula we aim to train and develop everyone to the highest standards, thanks for the feedback. Kind regards, Dan - Peninsula

9. "Graduate Programme Intake One - Dublin"

I have been working at Peninsula full-time

Pros

Joining Peninsula has not only given me a role that I enjoy coming into every day, it has given me a chance to grow as a professional in the industry I want to be in. My knowledge in Employment law and HR in all aspects, I would not have gained anywhere else. The time and effort Senior Managers, Managers put into all staff is nothing I have ever experienced before. They are easily approached and never have an issue with answering any questions that is asked. The training I have received from Peninsula has been next to none, the quality and presentation of all training session have been at has been at the highest quality. Other skills I have learned is presentation, call handling and how to use different computer software.

Cons

I don’t have too many negatives about Peninsula – only during the graduate programme I got to go out into the field and witness field consultants and how they carry out their work. I would have liked to go out more with them and with different consultants to witness the different styles in conducting their work.

Advice to Management

Peninsula do well in communication, learning and development and making their staff comfortable within their work. Can take a bit of time to get access to different systems to complete various jobs can be very frustrating.

10 Feb 2017 – Digital Reputation Co-ordinator

We are extremely proud of our first intake of Ireland graduates. Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback, we really appreciate it. Kind Regards, Ryan - Peninsula

10. "Excellent Company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Peninsula full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fantastic working environment
    - Approachable managers
    - Flexible working
    - Very good Company benefits

Cons

After working for 3 years in the company I still can't find any downside.

24 Jan 2017 – Digital Reputation Co-ordinator

Great feedback, thank you. We really enjoy reading the positive comments our employees write in their reviews. Kind Regards, Dan - Peninsula

11. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Peninsula full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its great to work for a company that clearly values its employees and is willing to invest in their development. I'd recommend Peninsula to anyone looking to build a long term career.

Cons

No major cons that I can think of

Advice to Management

N/A

24 Jan 2017 – Digital Reputation Co-ordinator

We really appreciate your feedback and we're delighted you love working for Peninsula. Kind Regards, Dan - Peninsula