Ricardo Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Nov 15, 2019

3.8
Ricardo CEO Dave Shemmans
Dave Shemmans
Pros
  • "Good work life balance: The flexible working options here are great and the ability to work from home really helps with this(in 16 reviews)

• "At Ricardo you have the opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects that provide real stretch, positive challenge and development(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management team disconnected from engineering(in 16 reviews)

• "Pay - no bonus, insulting (or cancelled) pay rise(in 11 reviews)

1. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Harwell, South East England, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have worked for Ricardo for just under 1 year and have been nothing but impressed from day one. I feel truly invested in and have been sent on a number of wide ranging training courses to aid in my personal development. There are clear opportunities for progression within my practice area and I feel very well supported by my colleagues and the management team. Everyone is played in a position that suits their... strengths and people are encouraged to work cross practice, out of silo’s, and to collaborate to find innovative solutions. The company is conscious about the well-being of employees, diversity and equality, and it really feels as though employees are put first. There are regular communications circulated keep everyone up to date with what’s happening around the company and there is the option of flexible working (not flexi-time) and also good benefits package available.

Cons

Can sometimes feel isolated due to a lack of people in the office - but this is simply as a result of people being permitted to work from home, so you can't have it both ways!

Ricardo2019-11-15
  2. "Analyst Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very supportive of personal development and training. Real focus on innovation throughout the company. Project work is very interesting and varied; with the opportunity to works across practices a real benefit.

Cons

Overall benefits package (including pay) is not great for junior roles, particularly when considering office location.

Ricardo2019-10-25
  3. "Shop floor"

Former Employee - Shop Floor in Royal Leamington Spa, England

I worked at Ricardo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great shop floor technicians, highly skilled machinists . Work variety is great to get your head round. Pay not brill but ok.

Cons

No organization. No standardization of anything. Words like "that's how we always do it". Are the forefront of any job. Nobody takes responsibility for anything and always pass the buck. No integrity or moral's just a rudderless ship. All the probp Ms get sorted out on the shop floor by the little less respected people. Tooling is a joke. Can't find anything. Downtime is a major issue and the company is leaking... money by not addressing this. Loads more I could say but what's the point.

Advice to Management

Care about your staff

Ricardo2019-10-28
  4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible, Expanding, Experts, Professional, great place to work

Cons

Needs to expand as has lots of potential

Ricardo2019-10-13
  5. "Adapting slowly"

Current Employee - Head of Function

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Motivated, intelligent people who are making a real difference to the world

Cons

Still a slight hangover of public sector culture

Ricardo2019-10-10
  6. "Good people"

Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in Shoreham, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mission driven, good bunch of people working together. Quality projects and flexible working hours

Cons

As with consulting, the down times can get frustrating. The pay does not reflect the profession or experience. Slow progression routes. Low investment into future tech and short term / immediate result focussed.

Ricardo2019-10-24

"Best Avoid, company is toxic like nuclear reactor"

Former Employee - Senior Network Analyst in Harwell, South East England, England

I worked at Ricardo full-time for less than a year

Pros

some good benefit and pension

Cons

Management can not be trusted HR useless and HR business partners are only good at sacking people. Expect bullying and harassment regularly. Toxic culture and don't expect any help or support from anyone. Full of selfish people, trust no one.

Advice to Management

You need to review your HR and Managers

Ricardo2019-10-30
  8. "Pays badly"

Current Employee - Environmental Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good, interesting, varied work for varied clients

Cons

Focus on senior consultants and analysts. Good for senior consultants who have no ambition but at the detriment of junior staff

Advice to Management

Provide London weighting

Ricardo2019-09-25
  9. "Poor management"

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Royal Leamington Spa, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Co workers, some interesting work

Cons

Poor senior management, do not respect shop floor, push through ideas no matter how ill-conceived they are, constantly changing them to suit their agenda even if it is not good for company, people leaving because of this but management do not care about that at all, Morale is very poor among workforce and getting worse.

Advice to Management

Respect workforce and junior management, listen to ideas, don't just force changes that everyone can see are ill thought out and serve no positive purpose for the company. Staff will continue to leave as Morale drops even further

Ricardo2019-10-08

"Not all animals are equal"

Current Employee - Engineer in Leamington, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In the past, there have been some very interesting projects and a steady stream of skilled engineers following through the business

Cons

-The MTC offices are neglected. Costs are cut everywhere. The office is packed, noisy, dirty, and appears to not have changed since the early nineties. -the vehicle engineering department has no leadership, despite having more chiefs than Indians. A eight to nine tier management structure, with no one providing direction. It's unclear what the business wants from this business unit. Communication, sparse as it is,... takes ages to cascade down. -research is not taking seriously, but rather is seen as an unchangeable activity, to perform in between projects. While the business has a research devision, it does not appear focused on improving current capabilities, rather developing new ones. -the managing director office has a revolving door. I've lost track of how many there have been in my for years here, but the number is greater than 6. None have made a lasting impression. -improvements to employee well-being are proudly announced, but rarely implemented across all locations.

Advice to Management

Communicate. Either provide a direction, or close this part of the business down.

Ricardo2019-09-24