Softcat Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Martin Hellawell

Pros
  • you are running your own business, the money is there to be made if you put the hard work in, (in 13 reviews)

• Fantastic Rewards, Fun & Positive Working Environment (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours - to be expected in sales however I worked 55 a week and was told it wasn't enough (in 6 reviews)

• Terrible basic salary, loads of account politics and lack of top down management, lots of bickering between sales staff (in 5 reviews)

1. "Brilliant place to be"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Marlow, England
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Marlow, England

I worked at Softcat full-time

Pros

The company culture has to be the biggest pro - never have I seen a workplace where so many people are so happy to be there and truly enjoying their jobs. There's money to be made of you're willing to work, too

Cons

Frankly, sales just isn't for everyone, so some cant take the job. Softcat is brilliant at finding other roles for those who feel they want a change though!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Total trust in the management team, and I know many, many people feel the same

2. "A very fun environment"

Former Employee - Sales in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Sales in Manchester, England

I worked at Softcat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Softcat is a great place for a Graduate to begin their career in IT. The training and support you recieve in the first year is second to none, but you are expected to put in long hours and hard word.

Each office has it's own individual culture so it still feels like a relatively small company which is great. Free breakfast, parties, ironing service, Friday beers and end of day chocolate are all little things that Softcat do to make you feel appreciated.

Cons

When you're in sales at Softcat the training and support really slows down after your first year. You're usually not experienced enough to go in to management at this point so it can feel a little like you're in limbo with no clear progression for the near future. That said, you can earn a lot in sales which is why most people stay.

If you're not in sales then the pay is well below industry average and it's very difficult to get it increased. If a fun place to work is more important to you then a high pay cheque then this is a fantastic place to work fpr non sales too and will provide you with good experience and training for future roles in the industry.

Advice to Management

As you grow your sales teams it's so important to grow the other teams too - HR in particular has fallen behind which hugely impacts the rest of the business and can give it an unprofessional feel.

Focus on what you can offer to people at that two year point to keep them motivated and happy.

3. "Softcat plc - Employee review"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Marlow, England

I have been working at Softcat (More than 5 years)

Pros

Absolutely everything! The people, the culture, the fun, the determination and focus on making sure the company is about more than just profit, the willingness to give back to as many local businesses and charities as possible. The opportunity to move between roles, the relentless communication from management that Softcat is about people, humanity, looking after each other like a family and treating your neighbour as you would want to be treated, This is probably the aspect I love the most.

Cons

The first year or two of the job was difficult, however for anyone with a good work ethic this shouldn't be an issue. If you're not willing to be challenged and work hard during your job then I don't think any career would be suitable for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and don't let the float change us too much. There is no doubt pressure from investors to streamline and produce ever increasing profits - there's more to life and a career than that!

Softcat Response

21 Mar 2017 – Head of HR and Recruitment

Thank you for your review, your feedback is very much appreciated.

"Decent"

Current Employee - Graduate Account Executive in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Account Executive in Marlow, England

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Been working here for just over a year now, good atmosphere, challenging tasks so you won't get bored.

Cons

Getting fat through pizza, lots and lots and lots of cold calling, you need to be able to deal with rejection or I wouldn't apply

Advice to Management

Hire management from outside, or promote people for their management skills, not just the best seller . good job though

"Best place to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Because Softcat's recruitment team work really hard to bring in the best talent, everyone is great to work with and we can all take time to have fun!

Cons

It can be a fairly intense environment, but that's the nature of an ambitious and motivated business like Softcat. There are opportunities in less target-driven roles as well.

"amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England

I have been working at Softcat (More than 8 years)

Pros

leadership, values, performance, benefits for employees, working environment, communication, teamwork, and the people.

Cons

hard to think of any..

8. "Just my opinion"

Current Employee - Product Sales Specialist in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Product Sales Specialist in Marlow, England

I have been working at Softcat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leadership team
    Financials
    Outcome driven
    Opportunity appears to be down to personal drive and ambition
    Great commission structure for sales staff
    Approachable leadership team
    On boarding process

Cons

Basic Salaries
    No flexible working - all office based

Advice to Management

Higher earnings for non-sales employees please

9. "Great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at Softcat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

fantastic company that give you every tool required to succeed.

Cons

getting too big to retain culture

Advice to Management

none, great job already

"Invests in your career like nowhere else"

Current Employee - Developer in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Developer in Marlow, England

Pros

Once you prove yourself the business will notice that and reward you to reflect it. I've moved my way up several roles since I've joined and many people will bend over backwards to let you progress if you are willing and reliable. Plenty of parties and beer on fridays which is nice too. Positive friendly working environment and managers who have earned their role through good leadership means bosses you can rely on.

Cons

The proving yourself is also a con - you aren't paid for doing a new role till you can prove that you do it well. Many benefits available are sales oriented and less accessible for admin staff. Other than that parking in Marlow is a nightmare and pizza makes you fat.

"Best place to work in IT"

Current Employee - Account Manager in High Wycombe, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in High Wycombe, England

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a very successful business with a friendly, happy culture full of great people run by a very strong senior leadership team. For Sales Positions there's strong earning potential and perks, and the benefits package is good. It's the perfect graduate job for anyone with an interest in technology, and the Tech Grad track produces some serious talent.

Cons

It's a tough job and not for everyone, the hours can be long especially at crucial times in the year. There's lots of free pizza which makes some people get fat