Softcat Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Martin Hellawell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great working environment and colleagues that will be friends for life (in 17 reviews)

• Great teamwork and dedication are made to look effortless but I know how much hard work goes into maintaining momentum and focusing on service levels (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Basic salary could be much better (in 10 reviews)

• Hard work when getting started in the role (but I guess this is to be expected from any graduate role) (in 8 reviews)

1. "Amazing - Get out what you put in..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The business has grown considerably since I joined, however the same ethos of "looking after your employees and they will look after their customers" is still very much in the DNA of the company - we are now just bigger and do more! The camaraderie of the teams, the enjoyment of the role and the support the business gives you is second to none. Having worked in new business sales, account management, account directorship and sales management, I can firmly say that the business means well and wants to do it's best by employees. Management are always approachable and while "sales" in general can be tough, the rewards are absolutely there for the taking. Acknowledgement of non-sales staff is also something the business works hard at and I look forward to many more years in the business.

Cons

It can be very hard at the start - long hours, dedication and hard work are all needed... but what did you expect with a sales role! You definitely get out what you put in.

Advice to Management

Continue to take on board employee satisfaction survey feedback and react as you are at the moment. The Management team are laser focused on ensuring we have the best company to work for and as a company, we are changing into a larger beast, but it is great to still see common sense and alacrity when deciding on new initiatives and processes. Job well done so far, but you're only as good as your last quarter! :)

2. "Sell Sell Sell"

I have been working at Softcat full-time

Pros

Great working environment for under 30's.

Cons

Sales led organisation where all comms, incentives, functions etc. are aimed at the sales teams. Due to the company strategy of recruiting predominantly grads, the offices all tend to feel like universities rather than professional working environments.

Advice to Management

Need to accept that it's no longer a small company and need to change accordingly. Not everyone at Softcat works in Sales!

3. "Most passionate and customer-focused sales team in the UK"

Current Employee - Director, Enterprise Sales in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Director, Enterprise Sales in Marlow, England

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Softcat is the most energetic, passionate and customer-focused Sales Team in the UK.
    Great teamwork and dedication are made to look effortless but I know how much hard work goes into maintaining momentum and focusing on service levels.
    A lot of home-grown talent and consistent recruitment of energetic graduates supported by experienced Specialists and Senior Leadership Team. great mix.

Cons

There aren't many! It's a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Stick to what Softcat is good at - looking after small, Mid Market and Enterprise customers, ensuring that they get the service they need. Continue to be agile & responsive but maintain the core of what makes Softcat world class at what it does.

5. "Graduate scheme @ Softcat"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Softcat full-time

Pros

I finished university in may this year and was lucky enough to be given a role as an account exec at Softcat. The job role is great for someone who is hardworking, enthusiastic and wants to be in control of their own income. All of the management team are great with training and keeping morale high.

Cons

The only negative I can think of is very minimal. I think for many students who come from a laid back university lifestyle may struggle with full time work in an intense environment. That said, Softcat try and make the transition phase seem simple and provide enough support to make the scheme such a success.

Advice to Management

I can speak for both my management in Glasgow and the senior management who are predominantly based down south. I feel Softcat have done an excellent job promoting from within. My career path is clear and with many examples of how the transition into management can be achieved.

6. "Account Chief Technologist"

Current Employee - Account Chief Technologist in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Account Chief Technologist in Marlow, England

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have never worked for a company that is so passionate on excellent customer service and provide an environment that wants people to succeed and progress. They provide an excellent environment to work in and genuinely listen and act on feedback. You would be mad not to work for Softcat and i very much look forward to many more years to come.

Cons

I have no real Cons but will be interested if we can keep the ethos of the organisation as we continue to grow.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, the recipe is working. Lets keep adjusting as we grow and adapt the business

7. "Apprentice Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Marlow, England

I have been working at Softcat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Softcat is such an amazing company, recruitment have done a great job in hiring people who are all genuinely fun and easy to get along with.

They really invest in all employees; both sales and non sales to make everyone feel like they are playing a key role in the success and growth of the company. Training and development is also invested heavily in to make sure we are the best at what we do - and making sure it stays that way!

Cons

The nature of the job is always going to be tough at first, but once you settle in, you will really love working for Softcat.

Advice to Management

Please try and keep the culture of Softcat alive as we continue to grow and expand - other than that, best Management team I’ve ever come across.

8. "Softcat"

I have been working at Softcat full-time

Pros

Friendly working environment, all directors and managers are sat on the sales floor, best company I have ever worked for, everyone wants the company to succeed and be the best - it is one massive team.

Cons

Some of the older sales employees need to focus on the way the market is currently rather than sticking to old methods of selling.

9. "Best company to work for - fact!"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Marlow, England

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing company to work for - I started over 10 years ago as a grad and have never looked back. Great support from all areas of the business, and you're encouraged to make the best of your opportunity and progress in whatever direction suits you best. Working with people you like all day - couldn't ask for better honestly.

Cons

It is hard work (and always will be) - but nothing great comes for free and we are compensated accordingly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you're doing!

10. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Marlow, England

I have been working at Softcat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent commission and incentives. Work atmosphere is fun and always busy.

Cons

Takes a while to build but the harder you work the more you make.

Advice to Management

No complaints , love it here

11. "Fantastic start to my career, excellent company to work for."

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in London, England

I worked at Softcat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really good fun, you learn so much are pushed and challenged in a positive way. I only realise now in comparison to other places how refreshing it is to have such a strong leadership team with a clear direction, who really value their employees.

Cons

As with any sales job, it can be tricky when things don't go so well but the support is usually there. Quite a party culture so perhaps not the one if you're after a more corporate image.

Advice to Management

Keep being as open as you've always been with employees, the balance is just right - I've been given a great platform to forwarding my career and am hugely grateful to all those I've be influenced by.