Softcat Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All Cities

4.2
Graeme Watt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great working environment for under 30's" (in 20 reviews)

• "No one got anywhere in life without putting in hard work at the start" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Terrible Basic salary for London new starts" (in 11 reviews)

• "None as of yet - hard work is required but you see results" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Softcat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed and young culture
    Training provided on-the-job
    Great earning potential and commission structure
    Really good social side - regular events
    Beer fridge on Fridays

Cons

Hours aren't the most flexible (9-6 Monday-Thursday, 9-5 on Fridays)
    Difficult to hit the ground running (like any sales job)

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Softcat provide you with a great platform to learn from.
    The team in London is great.
    On going training.

Cons

Long hours
    A sometimes stressful industry

3. "You get what you put in"

I have been working at Softcat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The exposure to senior management is amazing. They are not only friendly and approachable but always willing to lend you a helping hand even if they are busy.
    The support from the team (in my experience) has been priceless. Whenever I've needed help or I've had a question someone has always been there for me.
    They set their expectations out very clearly and following them simply requires you to put the hard work in. No one got anywhere in life without putting in hard work at the start.
    Incredibly good social scene and within that they're always trying to include you in everything, no matter how long you've been here.
    The amazing relationships Softcat has with vendors is evident due to the amount they come in to provide training and fun incentives, which although are hard to get on, provide great motivation to get to the level where you're able to compete for them. But having said that you still get a lot out of the sessions as well as the fun involved in them.
    On this note of training, Softcat are great at making sure you are constantly improving in your knowledge and it is down to you to develop this, as hard as it sometimes is.
    There's no denying the job is hard but the rewards both internally and externally are worth it.
    The company has tremendous drive to improve so naturally employees with that same drive succeed.

Cons

There really aren't a lot. It's a hard job, but if you want an easy job the rewards you gain from the easy job will never match the ones you can get if you work hard at Softcat.
    I would say a con is that there is a perception for new people to come in earlier than the contracted hours and leave later than the contracted hours. However, I think of football, and the most successful footballers are always the ones who turn up early for training and stay behind after. So if you want to succeed in any job, the same mentality is needed. You get rewarded in public for the work you put in, in private.

Advice to Management

I have nothing but positive things to say about the management here.

"Its a good company but very clicky"

Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Softcat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incentives if you are happy to wait for years to build pipe of the poor accounts you are given
    The culture is very good if you are under 30 as there are many nights out
    The specialists you are aligned to are generally very good but very over worked
    Casual dress in the office is a big plus
    Quite often there are free lunches and everyday there is free breakfast
    Potential to earn a lot of money as proven by looking in the car park

Cons

Very clicky place, if your face doesn't fit then forget it
    There is a team of elite sales people that the managment bend over backwards for as they earn them a lot of money.
    Any decent account are held onto by AM's even if they clearly don't have the capacity
    You have to earn your stripes if you want to move about the business or be promoted. Some managers have multiple managerial roles ( office and team ) which stops other people progressing
    Big divide between corporate and public sector

Advice to Management

Salaries need a review especially on the multiplier side, it can be difficult to earn real money when you start out with poor accounts or accounts that have had bad experiences

5. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Softcat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic place to work, great dynamism and you live and die by your own efforts.

Cons

Very few; slight laddish culture but this seems to be changing as far as I can see from the outside.

Not very flexible in terms of work from home and timing.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on.

21 Nov 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for leaving your review sharing your experiences of working for Softcat. We do take the culture really seriously as we think it's vital to keep Softcat one of the best places to work. We... More

"Amazing company & colleagues"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England

I worked at Softcat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and the focus the company placed on their employee satisfaction. Although you could argue some of the perks are a little gimicky, it shows that you're appreciated and goes a long way to saying 'thanks'
    Lots of training so you are continuously updated with the latest technologies, giving you the best tools to do your role

Cons

Boring subject matter (IT) and very competitive, targets very high considered the saturation of AM's and dwindling account situation

20 Aug 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback about your time at Softcat. We really appreciate your time taken to go through the elements of the role/business you enjoy and where we can look to improve... More

"Rugrats with a big bank account. A very very very bad version of WOLF STREET"

Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England
    Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England

I worked at Softcat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free breakfast(Come on everyone loves free scrambled egg on bagels) - London office only.
    - Everyone is pretty sound. Like you could get along with everyone.
    - Vendors always giving out sweets or free breakfast or goodies.
    - Hit your suit target and you can wear what you want.
    - Incentive trips - IF YOUR good lol but don't expect it at all. This is a very hard game to win. (4 years of tele sales experience and this is beyond the hardest)

Cons

- I worked at Softcat for a couple of months. Management have no clue what to do with you. Very much focussed on hitting their own targets.
    - Dog eats Dog(Again its sales so its expected)
    - Requesting accounts is so boring( and its like your waiting for your chance if there is to sell something that some-one hasnt in that account)
    - Hours(Your expected to stay past 6( You will just get frowned upon if you go home at 6)
    -More politics then 10 downing street.
    - Most employee's end up getting with each other, because they cant socialize outside of work, as your always at work.

Advice to Management

- Your going to hit your highest in revenue soon. Act like a company who is of this sort of character. Stop acting so childish. There is a reason why so many people. And its because you don't give structure to your employee's. Almost everyday for my first few months no-one would tell me what to do. Act like managers. Not because your billing so high get promoted into a manager. Understand this to grow. And also please for the people who apply to SOFTCAT. Make them aware this is a call centre cold calling 100% role. Please do not lie to them.

11 Sep 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your review, we appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We do acknowledge that the hours can be longer when you first start as you're targeted on building new business and... More

"Unskilled job, cold calling constantly... left after 2 months"

Former Employee - Graduate Account Executive in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Graduate Account Executive in Manchester, England

I worked at Softcat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros are all about the actual company itself. The people are all friendly, in the Manchester office there was a bar, free breakfast, really fabulous toilets with lights around the mirror, straighteners, free feminine products, social events etc... lots of great perks! (but what I've realised is, when a company has lots of perks, it's usually to make up for something else....

Cons

For me, it was all about the role itself. You start on a low base salary of £18k to be told about the amazing uncapped commission you will receive. You are also told in training that for the first 6 months of working there, it will be the worst 6 months of your life... attractive right? I worked in the office itself for a few weeks before I realised that extensive cold calling where you're constantly trying to get through to an IT manager to sell IT too, just isn't for me. It wasn't using any of my skills or anything I've learnt from university, it's just a sales job. You're also EXPECTED to get there early and leave late for "at least the first year". This drained me very quickly and made me depressed... I love interacting with people but not annoying people... and they operate on a "just keep calling them" basis.

Not for me. I want to enjoy what I do!

However, OTHER roles do seem better where you're not cold calling 24/7.

Advice to Management

Make sure from the very first telephone interview that the candidate is aware of how much cold calling they will be doing. I felt like it wasn't made aware and thought it was more face to face interaction and dealing with existing clients.

10 Aug 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time for giving us your feedback. We have recently refreshed our telephone screening process to ensure we're giving as much information as possible prior to coming to an... More

9. "Opportunities abound to be who you want to be."

Current Employee - Services Development Analyst in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Services Development Analyst in Marlow, England

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Softcat has given me a platform with which I have relaunched my IT career onto a much faster, capable route upwards. I could not have done this without the support of my colleagues, the motivating atmosphere in each and every office, and the ability to feel accomplishment and ownership in any projects, or new ideas put forward to the company.

Softcat's staff are one and the same - no ivory towers, no glass paneled corner offices, no reserved parking. This brings with it far better communication and personality with management and the directors. Need to catch a C-level? They're over there in the middle of the Sales floor. Manager? Right with their team, making time for them to ensure they're happy and performing well.

A whole range of additional benefits including:
    - Dental, Healthcare for long service
    - A reactive training programme, and development team
    - Pool table/Table Tennis, Xbox, PS4, Wii
    - Plenty of staff and extended family events for all to enjoy, all year round
    - Breakfast provided every morning; well stocked kitchens with all the essentials
    - Staff recognition, and incentive trips twice-yearly across the world

Cons

Softcat once seemed ahead of the curve in office layout and features; very much Google/Microsoft campus feel with a dash of Star Trek reboot bridge design, but this was almost 10 years ago, and the wallpaper is peeling away. There are much better looking, more functional workplace environments out there now, and Softcat being a public facing, host of visitors from major companies, could do with a rethink on the layout and physical corporate image.

Advice to Management

Always listen to the staff you work with; improvement and acceptance of change comes much easier when what's being asked is a trickle, not a torrent.

2 Jul 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate your feedback and we think it's also very key to keep up to date. ensuring we're making the environment as comfortable and appealing as possible. We're... More

10. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Manchester City Centre, England
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at Softcat (More than a year)

Pros

Great company atmosphere and culture
    Great social events + parties
    Good graduate job as it gives you exposure to a wide variety of technology vendors and industries
    Excellent way to earn a large amount of money at a young age
    Company is expanding so there is always opportunities to move roles if you prove yourself

Cons

Poor basic salary for a graduate job, but you don't to Account Management for the basic you do it for the earning potential

4 Jun 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of working at Softcat. We're really pleased that you enjoyed the company culture and believe that it's a great way to start your graduate... More