68% would recommend to a friend
(24215 total reviews)
69% approve of CEO
Found 24,215 of over 26K reviews
Updated 29 Nov 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What people are saying about Tesco
Crazy Customer Stories
3 months ago
Just Eat Takeaway
Once in a Tesco supermarket a customer asked me where an item of groceries was in a very rude way. I didn't know an even if I did wouldnt have told her anyways so she got angry at me so I told the customer where to go. Literally she got an "eff off an leave me alone". She got management involved and when the manager came over he verified I did not even work for him or for Tesco an that she was just being rude to another customer getting his lunch..,. ME!
Cyber Security Bowl
6 months ago
I am an electrical engineer on the consultancy side, and I am making the switch into Cyber security. I have an offer from EY as a cyber consultant and an offer from Tesco as a Cyber engineer and I am unsure which way to go. I am leaning more with EY as I get to try a lot more industries, however Tesco may offer better initial training for the proffession. I would appreciate any opinions to help? Thanks
9 months ago
Our lives changed so much especially young generation. Youngers in their 20s and 30s getting heart related diseases. The lives becomes so stressful, competitive and stereotypical. I see some news young people are loosing their lives due to heart attack. Are we just breathing or living? Any thoughts on how to overcome?. Any suggestions would help. KPMG EY PwC Deloitte BDO Grant Thornton BDO USA, LLP Tesco Microsoft Amazon Google Apple
Got a burning question about Tesco? Just ask!
On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Tesco employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "the hourly pay at tesco is good and the way the look after colleges is great." (in 2558 reviews)
- "very friendly and nice people" (in 1092 reviews)
- "The staff for the most part are friendly and it is nice working with like" (in 995 reviews)
- "Most fellow colleagues are friendly and sociable" (in 916 reviews)
- "Benefits are good and so is discount" (in 645 reviews)
- "Poor management can lead to unmotivated workers which impact store performance and puts more pressure on more productive workers." (in 1385 reviews)
- "Long hours and difficult with family life on holiday periods and weekends" (in 1173 reviews)
- "managers can be rude and controlling" (in 988 reviews)
- "All breaks are unpaid (on a 9 hour shift you have to take 1.5h of unpaid breaks!)." (in 179 reviews)
- "No career progression and not as many staff on weekends" (in 131 reviews)
- 1.018 Nov 2023Order PickerFormer Employee, more than 1 yearGreenford, England
- discounted canteen - colleague shop (discounted items) - staff discount
- very unrealistic pickrate (285 per hour). Sometimes you will get trolleys that only give you 150 pickrate, which means you will have to pick a lot faster on the next one - you would get told off if you are waiting in the queue to weigh the bananas for low pickrate - Very rude managers, think they can do what they want and not what the contract says - they treat you like you’re not a human, basically a robot - flexi contract for certain people, that means you will have to go home in 3 hours 45mins of work - your toilet break isn’t your toilet break. You will notice your pick rate drop as you use the toilet, which means you have to pick even faster - you’re basically speed walking all 7.5 hours, consistently picking items at 285 items an hour, and paid under 12 which is lower than the national living wage. Not worth it at all1
- 1.027 Nov 2023Price ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearWelwyn Garden City, England
Fast paced, experience in a big retailer
Reward package is poor (below average salary, no health care, not many other benefits except Tesco discount) No culture of feedback (I've worked there for 2 years and never got asked to give feedback, when I've asked for feedback all I ever got was "you're doing a really good job") Training resource is very difficult to access, internal training system is redundant and I had to raise 3 tickets and speak to 14 separate people over a month to get access to Udemy. No focus on career development, I've never had a conversation about career plans or PDP with my manager. Very few opportunities to progress upwards internally.
- 1.027 Nov 2023Ufc OperativeFormer EmployeeBeckton, England
Colleagues…. that’s it without them you wouldn’t last
Managers - zero support and god forbid you have kids might has well quit you will never get promoted, zero man management skills, forget being able to take days off too, they book what they want you to take off and if you want a certain day off you have to do their job and find support yourself, next to zero support when struggling, managers tell team support not to help, managers also tell team support to treat you like you are beneath them and they can’t be your friends,
- 2.028 Nov 2023Shift ManagerFormer Employee, more than 8 yearsMelton Mowbray, England
Share scheme, staff discount, cycle to work
Constant Change of management resulting in poor progression. Continually promised progression opportunities for covering holidays in absence of both store manager and deputy, participating in trial schemes and staying past finishing but progression was tactic to get you to stand out but never acted on. Claimed to be a diverse company to work for but operations managers were racist and homophobic.
- 4.013 Nov 2023Customer Service NightsCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearChesterfield, England
- Room to progress to higher levels - Co-Workers - Training is given in different areas once asked a manager - Always something to do whether that’s stocking shelves, taking in the delivery - Overtime is available if wanted
- Unsocialable hours (10pm-7am) - Some managers pressure staff to get all delivery cages done before end of shift despite having 20+ cages to do by yourself - No recognition for nights staff hard work, it seems that day staff gets things despite doing half the work of nights staff
- 3.028 Nov 2023Customer AssistantFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsSoutham, West Midlands, England
retail pay is typically higher than curve for type of work, can meet some good people working there
management often are there for tesco and not the employee, and can be a culture of lack of trust as a result
- 4.028 Nov 2023General AssistantFormer Employee, more than 1 yearSheffield, England
Great people Good wage (extra on Sundays) Understanding staff
Can work at some unsociable hours at times.
Tesco Reviews FAQs
Tesco has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 26,341 reviews left anonymously by employees. 68% of employees would recommend working at Tesco to a friend and 49% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
68% of Tesco employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Tesco 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.