Wise Reviews

Updated 11 May 2021

4.4
Wise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman
Pros
  • "A lovely work environment with a nice working culture(in 55 reviews)

• "Great people that you get to work with(in 30 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Autonomous teams means that often you need to "lobby" with other teams to get things done(in 35 reviews)

• "there are many questionable team leads who might have great technical knowledge but really not mature enough or ready to tackle human issues(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Invaluable development and experience at pace

27 Mar 2021 - People Team Member in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I always say TransferWise is like a new company every 6 months - we’re scaling so fast. That means new projects, challenges and development opportunities all the time. Despite the chaotic nature of this your learning will be continued and rapid and if you want to get stuck in it’s a great place to build your career and take steps up the ladder much faster than in a lot of companies. You’re trusted. If you can explain the rationale behind your vision, you can back it up with data and also reflect if you fail - TransferWise will trust and support you to build things how you see fit.

Cons

Growing at scale is tiring. Things need to be built from scratch. Many of the tools you’d have had at your finger tips in previous people team roles need building. You can’t tell people to help you or do what you want them to do, they have to buy in. Although all the above can be seen as pros - you know anything you build has to be meaningful and prove impact and you can shape it how you want - plus it will feel easy anywhere else.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Awesome Culture

31 Mar 2021 - Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible Working/Good WLB - Product/Customer Focusing - Autonomy - Great Colleagues - Fantastic Mission

Cons

Nothing I can think of at the moment.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fintech done right: people-centric and mission-driven

25 Jan 2021 - Finance in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

TransferWise is the only company I have worked for where employer, employee and customer incentives are aligned. All employees aka Wisers are granted stock, therefore everyone shares in TransferWise's success. Most importantly, the company's mission is centred around benefiting customers through promoting fair and transparent pricing for cross-currency transactions, contrary to traditional banks. Additionally, the whole company is focused on growing the business and reducing costs so savings can be passed to customers in the form of lower prices. It genuinely makes you feel great to show up to work every day knowing that your input is making a difference to people's lives - £1bn annual savings in FX fees to be precise! Flexible working arrangements, focus on employee well-being and and supporting environment. Numerous opportunities for learning and development. Many colleagues have moved into other roles either within the Tribe or other teams as internal mobility is actively encouraged.

Cons

Fast-paced environment with frequent new products and projects, which I assume is not for everyone. Each team has a quarterly planning process based on the Objective & Key Result framework which takes some time to get used to if you do not have any previous experience.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 3.0

Fine Environment, Nothing Special, Not Many Perks

16 Feb 2021 - Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Autonomous teams are good, but fairly ubiquitous in today's tech companies. The offices are nice and there is the yearly summer days event. The product itself is useful and the mission is admirable.

Cons

Questionable priorities that are not always transparent to the employees. Since COVID there hasn't been much support for working from home - a one-time £100 reimbursement for equipment does not go very far. Benefits vary widely between offices - New York employees receive 16 weeks paternity while for most other offices it is only 2-3 weeks. Management has been pushing teams to "not become complacent" at a time when a lot of employees are struggling.

4 people found this review helpful

People Team Lead

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Lockdown has been difficult for all of us, but it’s particularly sad ro read that you feel Wise is not supporting the team through this. It’s definitely not what we want our people to feel and we can only get better by receiving feedback like this. I really hope you’ve felt able to voice your concerns to your Team Lead or a member of the People team. If you feel comfortable coming forward, I’m happy to have a confidential chat with you or I can connect you with another member of the People team. Feel free to reach out to me. Best wishes, Maire.

5. 3.0

Nice people but overrated

14 Dec 2020 - Product Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly people. Profitable company with aspirational mission. Good reputation within FinTech. Good work life balance. Great exposure to complex/growing organisation.

Cons

Poor compensation. Lowest in market. Limited salary/career advancement. Early employees get "hall passes" and special treatment. Cost cutting at every corner. Many leads are unqualified.

17 people found this review helpful

People Team Lead

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review and I’m sorry to hear about your frustrations. I hope you feel you can give this feedback to your team lead or a trusted member of the People team as it’s the only way we can get better. We review salary ranges globally at least every 12 months and more frequently for some roles. In addition to salary we continue to offer competitive stock options for all employees to share in the long term success of our company. Would you be up for a confidential chat with me or another member of the People team? Feel free to reach out to me on Slack and we can find some time. Thanks, Jihan

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not for me...

30 Mar 2021 - Senior Creative in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good location - People were friendly - Great onboarding in Budapest - Good healthcare plan - Large training budget - Great work to life balance - people leave work on time - Awesome switch gaming tournaments ;) - My lead was very personable and friendly

Cons

- Lack of creativity - Lack of career progression - Bad attitude towards change - Company culture was a bit dead for me - Autonomy of teams made things messy with lack of hierarchy and structure contributing to confusing approvals process - Feedback sessions got personal and not helpful

2 people found this review helpful

People Team Lead

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I’m sorry to read that you left us with mixed feelings, but the best way for us to take action on this is to get honest feedback like this. I hope you were able to express your concerns before you left and you can always reach out to me at employerbrand@wise.com should you want to have a further discussion, that I could take to the People team. Best wishes, Maire.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Fantastic place to work at!

27 Mar 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Freedom to get things done your way 2. Massive autonomy 3. Very smart and nice colleagues 4. Little bureaucracy 5. Stimulating and challenging problems

Cons

1. Sometimes gets hectic at the pace of growth 2. Some things could be more structured and better organised

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

The best company I worked so far

30 Mar 2021 - Software Engineer III in Tokyo
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting job, smart people around, good company culture

Cons

Some of the teams are quite overloaded with work.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Open and friendly culture but lacks structure

2 Feb 2021 - Product Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Budget for further education (€500 per year) Great company culture, friendly people Service is great and you'll see a lot of people talking positively about the company in expat groups Opportunity to take more responsibilities, transition into PM role Friday lunches and summerdays (before covid) Regular analyst hackathons (before covid)

Cons

Median salary Poorly defined career progression guidelines in general Analysts are weak technically, so nobody internally to learn from People who have been in the company for a long time are assumed to know what they are doing, but they often don't Wild west changes made both to product and to the analytics platform Culty vibe

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Autonomous teams with high growth potential

8 Mar 2021 - Business Development Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- High levels of autonomy and growth for a 10 year, 2000+ employee company - Transparency within the company - everything is shared and open for everyone to see at all levels

Cons

Autonomy represents more responsibilities and accountability

Viewing 1 - 10 of 527 Reviews