Boots Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
Boots Senior Vice President and Managing Director Sebastian James
Sebastian James

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good pay, constantly busy, opportunities to develop" (in 190 reviews)

• "Also a staff discount available too" (in 130 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Christmas Part-time Retail Assistant"

I worked at Boots part-time

Pros

I worked at Boots St Helens Merseyside between November 2017 and January 2018 and I had a really good time there. The staff were brilliant, friendly and helpful., including the Manager. I received a present on leaving and it was quite emotional. I can honestly say I enjoyed every minute. They all supported me with regards to my application for my current role with public services. I would definitely recommend working at Boots, St Helens ! One of the members of staff had been there for over 20 years and was still eager, loyal and really nice !

Cons

No cons whatsoever as there is nothing to improve

Advice to Management

Carry on the very good work

2. "customer assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Boots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with on the day to day are fantastic, some of the friends i have made whilst working here are for life. I get on amazingly with the managers and can have actual fun while being productive and doing the job.

Cons

Occasionally have rude and arrogant customers but that comes with the job and was always fully expected.
    Some other employees complain about the work load being to much and too demanding but i personally have never had an issue unless someone has called in sick.

"Overall great, management not so much"

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Boots part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff members are like family, always helping each other out. You are trained properly and kept up to date with training, and the pay is good for retail.

Cons

If the management don’t like you, you know about it. Favouritism is a problem. Management will happily let their favourites pick their favourite jobs and chat at the till while the rest of us had to be silent and just get the job done.

Advice to Management

Strive to treat staff more equally. Give staff more positive feedback and make them feel like the work they are doing is worthwhile.

4. "Great employee benefits and opportunities"

Current Employee - Field Role in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Field Role in Bristol, England

I have been working at Boots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous discount, decent maternity benefits, great holiday allowance, company car, competitive salary, Fun conferences, rewarding role

Cons

Expected to pay for fuel expenses out of own money, can take a long time to get money back.

Advice to Management

Head office need to come out to stores more often to view reality of retail climate. Visit culture is not healthy or true reflection of stores.

5. "Average salary, but probably the best for retail"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Nottingham, England

I worked at Boots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had good coworkers and management

Cons

Not much room for progression

6. "Data Analyst"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Boots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible place to work with good people. Give good opportunities to staff to persue different career paths.

Cons

Pay is poor compared to industry. A lot of staff leave only to return years later commanding higher wages. Not much structured training available with people often not sure what there job really is for months after starting.

Advice to Management

Pay in-line with market. Be more specific with job adverts and not so vague. Give more incentives to stay in the business through loyalty schemes.

7. "Customer Assistant"

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Boots part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best paying retail job, as customer assistant at the moment getting 8.33 pounds per hour, and will go up soon

Range of different types of stores, small to flagship stores, not so busy to very busy intense environments- the latter means you have to be able to work under pressure well.

flexible hours, always short staffed so can easily pick up more shifts if you want.

The tasks around the store are kinda set to specific times for example, stock comes in early morning and that's when its worked, at night there's pull forwarding, refilling drinks and removing that nights out-of-date food. So you'll always know what standard things to do for your shift depending on when your working

I've worked in a range of stores and everyone is pretty nice, make sure to introduce yourself and don't be shy to interact.

Boots overall is a great easy company to work for, they actually care about their company image and are forward thinkers, and changing to protect our future unlike some other large high street stores, who can't keep up and are closing more and more stores.

Cons

Managers. The biggest let down to boots is their managers. The newer ones in training are the worst, telling you to do a thousand and one things at the same time. They can be very patronising. My first store manager was actually nice, she made an effort to remember my name and always asked me how I was doing. This was a huge flagship store with over 200+ employees. My latest manager keeps to herself, in the sense she does tasks herself but she literally lives and breathes for boots, you could be dead and she'll be ready with a disciplinary to get back at you for taking time off. She is absolutely heartless and has made a range of staff members cry and leave. she even made our other assistant manager-who is absolutely lovely and works incredible hard with us- cry countless times.

Career opportunities- there isn't much. If the store has a pharmacy you can become a healthcare advisor which a high pay but a lot more intense and you will need to be willing to study and take tests and actually be knowledgeable. From customer assistant the next role up is assistant manger and the wage isn't worth the stress, Store manager in a flagship store is massive money like 50k+ (I believe) and I think they do 2- year rotations so you can get in if you want. Pass that area manager and regional manager.

Advice to Management

> Train your managers on how to get the most out of people
    in my degree we've done a module on what good management looks like and I'm not seeing any of that at boots. Good management can actually get a lot more out of us staff because we would go the extra mile instead of doing the bare minimum.

8. "Retail Assistant"

I have been working at Boots part-time

Pros

Good pay and friendly staff

Cons

high amount of hours to work

9. "Good part-time position"

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Wallingford, England
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Wallingford, England

I worked at Boots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly and welcoming team, good fun, I worked in a lovely village branch with rarely a rude customer

Cons

It could get boring at times. Occasionally some favoritism.

10. "Customer Assistant"

I have been working at Boots part-time

Pros

Friendly
    Good Management
    Always Busy
    Different Products to learn about

Cons

Horrible hours at Christmas time and Boxing Day Sales
    weekend hours