Optical Express Reviews

Found 416 of over 426 reviews

3.8
Optical Express Chairman & CEO David Moulsdale
David Moulsdale
Pros
  • "Optical Express have given me the chance to move up to a manager role(in 31 reviews)

• "Great team in both clinics, it makes going to work a joy(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Wish I joined Optical Express sooner(in 18 reviews)

• "Having to tell a patient they are unsuitable for surgery(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Exciting, fast paced and clinically rewarding

Jan 12, 2022 - Optometrist in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoy being able to give patients information about all vision correction options rather than being pushed to make a recommendation to suit business rather than patient needs. Regular contact with other experienced Optometrists and Surgeons as well as access to amazing technology make the role really interesting. Exciting to be part of a forward thinking company.

Cons

Cant think of any cons relating to company or role.

Optical Express Response

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We’re delighted that you enjoy your role here. Optical Express offers a very unique opportunity for optometrists thanks to the range of services we offer, our vast experience and our significant investment in advanced technology so it’s great to hear this sort of feedback from one of our valued optometrists.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent

Jan 5, 2022 - Receptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lovely team whom are very supportive and want to make sure you excel.

Cons

No cons at all everything so far is good.

Head of Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your experience so far with Optical Express. We are proud of our #oneteam culture and we're delighted that you feel supported in your role. We hope you decide to remain part of the team for more years to come.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Just a Job

Dec 22, 2021 - Patient Care in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Paid ontime with little to no issues

Cons

The company will not allow the use of a union in the workplace the owner will not increase salary due to greed

Optical Express Response

Thank you for your review. At Optical Express we do allow colleagues to be represented by a Trade Union so I’m unsure why you thought this not to be the case. We offer industry leading salary and benefit packages to colleagues and regularly carry out performance and salary reviews.

4. 4.0

Mixed Bag

Dec 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly colleagues, job is not too stressful

Cons

No WFH, no development options

Be the first to find this review helpful

Head of Marketing

Thank you for reviewing Optical Express. We are glad to see that you enjoyed working with your colleagues, we pride ourselves on fostering a friendly and professional working environment for everyone. We absolutely believe in developing our colleagues and have many examples of this throughout the business. Allowing colleagues to grow and develop within the business is something we always encourage.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Worst company ever. Toxic, big boys' club management. Unemployment preferable.

Dec 26, 2021 - Project Manager in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing. Leaving at the end of the day was pretty good.

Cons

Do not work here. This is literally the worst company to work for. I worked for head office, but having had frequent contact with the clinics/stores, it was just as bad at their level as well. Some of the reasons: - Toxic, big boys' club senior management team - overt bullying, sexism, aggressive management style, culture of ruling by fear. Once witnessed a senior manager directly ask a young colleague if the reason she was off for a hospital appointment was 'for a consultation to get your breasts enlarged?' Young, female colleagues invited to senior management meetings to just sit there - you couldn't make it up! CEO David Moulsdale screaming at people all the time. Just embarrassing. God help you if you're not a white, male, straight lads' lad who loves the 'banter'. - Zero job security - it was a running joke among staff as to 'who do you think will get the sack this week?' because every week someone would be kicked out. You'd be working on a project and then your colleague would get sacked. - Low morale throughout the business - everyone hates working there, so everyone is there for the paycheck. No-one wants to put in any more than the minimal effort, so you can't get any cross-departmental projects complete. - High turnover of staff - no-one knows what they are doing because no-one is there long enough - either fired or leave because it's so awful. Colleagues with little skill or experience promoted purely to fill the numbers. - Quite literally, the worst IT system in the world. A daily battle to complete any sort of work. Even opening a small pdf or presentation would cause your computer to crash. - Some colleagues in above department were lovely. Some senior ones had a superiority complex and get cheap kicks from passive aggression and belittling colleagues when making requests for support. - No autonomy - no manager has their own budget, everything is signed-off by CEO Moulsdale. If you want £50 for some trivial purchase, it has to go through him. Who has the time to work like that? - Little talent driving the business - the amount of talented, enthusiastic colleagues who left because it was so awful or just ended up getting sacked was heartbreaking. People who really wanted to take the business forward. Senior management is not interested in ideas or the value that you can add, you're just their puppet. It's basically do as you're told, or clear your desk. Some people do it for the paycheck and they become one of them, throwing colleagues under the bus to survive but most people want more from their professional life. - Conveyor belt customer service - pure focus on money, zero interest in customer welfare or outcomes. Good luck if you're a customer contacting the business - unless you're contacting to pay, you'll just be passed from pillar to post, fobbed off and passed around colleagues. If you need aftercare, they just see you as a nuisance and you'll be given the run around until you give up or your aftercare period has run out and then they can ask you for more money. Also, years ago, let thousands sign-up for free lifetime aftercare, then withdrew it from them, just like that. You only have to look at review websites or OERML to see what customers have to go through. - No regard for employee welfare - you could largely just do your contracted hours at head office, but if you're an optometrist, expect to be worked to the bone with double booked diaries and sell, sell, sell! Poor employee benefits and don't expect any HR issues to be resolved, just swept under the carpet. - Poor reputation in industry and among customers - optometrists don't want to work here as they know how bad it is. Suppliers don't want to work with Optical Express as they don't get paid on the terms agreed, then have to threaten the company with legal action just to get their money and then won't work with you again. The list isn't exhaustive - everyone who works/has worked at Optical Express can write a book about how bad it is. I'm surprised it's even still going; it's only a matter of time before it implodes. Unemployment really is preferable to working here - just look at the number of bad reviews on here - don't do it!

Optical Express Response

While we welcome constructive feedback and take on board all genuine reviews, the above post is very obviously malicious and contains many factual inaccuracies and mistruths, as such we won’t respond any further to it.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Stay away from this company especially Bristol

Dec 1, 2021 - Patient Advisor in Bristol, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Outstanding Technology surgeons, good view from clinic building

Cons

No overtime paid, but expected to work through breaks and stay late when other team members are incompetent at there job, no automany in the clinic to book appointments for patients, bonus scheme pulled away and inconsistently paid bonus, limes disease in the water system, freezing cold work conditions in the winter months, clinic manager lies about progression and doesn’t even understand the time keeping system or bonus system, no optoms to cover the shifts in the clinic. Surgery manager rude, a very much them and us culture, clinic directer lies to patients and team members, works too many hours and then moans about how tired she is ( martyrdom) makes everything about herself and tramples her way through the company

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good thing those windows didn't open all the way

Nov 24, 2021 - Call Centre Agent in Cumbernauld, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Having enough money (just) to keep a roof over my head

Cons

Where to start? Was originally hired to work in their "Cumbernauld Call Centre", which turned out to be a former box room at the main labs, using outdated tech to call people who showed an interest years prior. Had no real manager until one was hired out of the blue, who basically told us all how dreadful it all was, attempted to turn us against head office, then left. With her email that she sent off, CC'ing in David Moulsdale himself, it then threw us onto the radar. We were moved to the main call centre in central Glasgow. Once there, we were thrown in at the deep end with regard to targets and expected figures. The main office was horrendous. A complete "boy's club" amongst the "managers", who would walk around thinking they were fresh off Wall Street. The "call queues" were changed around so often you didn't know where you were calling. At one stage I was actually put into a call queue to pretend to be from a "price comparison company" to book people into "their nearest Laser Eye Specialist" which, amazingly enough, was ALWAYS OE. The people who had been there longer than 6 months were seen as pro's, and therefore were used as trainers for us. I lost my voice and was still expected to make calls, then was chucked over to webchat to observe, but didn't do anything. I had a complete emotional breakdown and was suicidal for the best part of 8 months. I was signed off, and was then put in the position of having to resign in order to get a reference for a new job. Constantly left late as was forced to make targets, and generally wasn't considered human, or valued. Looking back, it was honestly more like an abusive relationship than a job. In all, they were the worst 2 years of my life, and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

5 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0

It was okay

Oct 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The main office block was nice, a good quality and cheap restaurant at the top. Most of the people you worked with were nice, friendly etc.

Cons

Management and direction could feel rushed. Not a lot of room for advancement if you weren't part of the surgery teams

Head of Marketing

Thank you for your review. We are happy to read that you enjoyed working with your colleagues, we feel very fortunate to have great people who work with us. We are sorry to see that you felt that advancement was only possible for surgery teams, this is certainly not the case. We pride ourselves on giving all of our employees the opportunity and guidance to fulfill their potential.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee

good training if you want to work in optics

Oct 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

retail bonus, sales job but with added skills (e.g., to dispense glasses), good staff discount on glasses/free laser surgery

Cons

standard wage isn't great but you can build it with bonus

Optical Express Response

Thank you for your review. We are proud of the training and support that we offer our colleagues and in order to remain an industry leading employer we constantly review our benefit and bonus package.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

good

Sep 14, 2021 - Receptionist in Birmingham, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

good good good good good

Cons

none that i can think of

Optical Express Response

Thank you for reviewing Optical Express. We are delighted that you enjoy working at Optical Express and we look forward to continuing to work with you for many more years to come.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 416 Reviews