Optical Express Reviews

Found 397 of over 403 reviews

4.0
Optical Express Chairman & CEO David Moulsdale
David Moulsdale
Pros
  • "Great team ethics within clinics which makes working along side them even more enjoyable(in 16 reviews)

• "This creates the best working environment by working part of a team on a shared goal(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Lack of leadership within Senior Management(in 16 reviews)

• "Clinical staff assisting with eye surgery are paid minimum wage (terrifying)(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Honest opinion from someone who has worked with Optical Express for a few years

Jul 5, 2021 - Optometrist in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I recently read some reviews as a friend flagged how bad they were. If I was asked my opinion a few years ago it would not have been very positive however that is no longer the case. I have seen a lot of changes over the past 6 months which have been greatly received and very encouraging. 1. The time given with patients is excellent. 2. Our diagnostic technology is wonderful. 3. We now have monthly catch ups with senior management which where we are listened to. 4. The opportunity for clinical development is endless

Cons

1. Annual leave entitlement could be slightly better

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Hands down the worst company I have worked for

Jun 19, 2021 - Head Office Employee in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

City centre location Learn a lot quickly Some decent colleagues

Cons

It is openly known as “Optical Depress” or the “Hunger Games” Poor Management Most colleagues would throw you under the bus to save themselves - horrible culture Cut throat sales environment Huge turnover of staff Ever changing priorities depending on mood of CEO Unqualified/ poorly trained staff dealing with patients , under pressure to get money out of them Minimal benefits - only two good ones where tickets at the hydro box and breakfast club on a Friday and both where removed. HR staff don’t have a clue about employee relations policies, laws etc No consistent performance reviews, succession planning Computer systems are a joke - dinasours No trust given - no option to work home, emails deleted every 6 months, unable and to save certain things Constant issues paying suppliers Data is manipulated to suit their agenda Some Senior members of management openly making sexist, racist, homophobic remarks and use foul language

7 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good depending on management

Jun 12, 2021 - Optical Advisor in Worcester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Worked with a good team for a while, simple job especially if you’ve had OA experience, they kept up with quarterly reviews and were professional and fair. Offered good training

Cons

Depending on the manager you get it can really change the dynamic. I had one manager who was very professional and cared a lot, then another that really didn’t care and wasn’t interested in helping me advance in the company or encouraging me to stay - the offers of training disappeared and so I ended up leaving. I would work there again depending on the local manager

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Worst company I have ever worked for

Jul 20, 2021 - Patient Advisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Bearable with a good team

Cons

Micro managed, doesn't care about staff or patient's - just the money coming in.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Work satisfaction for me anyways :)

Feb 26, 2021 - Clinic Manager in Carlisle, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been with Optical Express Carlisle for over two years now. I can safely say that I have work satisfaction. Everyone I have come across, whether it be other stores or managers at head office, everyone has been very supportive and friendly towards me. The role of running a clinic can be challenging, however there is a phone book of colleagues you call for support. Carlisle is a refractive store, we tend not to do many optical dispensing, I had one not that long ago, having not done one for awhile I sweating from head to toe with the patient. I called another store who helped and reminded me how to process the order through the till system. I like my job and my company, I work hard and support who I can when needed also and that support is returned when needed.

Cons

At first when I joined I wasn’t aware there was a lot of travelling to other stores for training - BUT they paid for my travel and my hotel room, so the travelling and being away from home is a con, but they cover all the costs and who doesn’t enjoy a night in peace in a hotel room for a few weeks.

Brand Manager

Thank you for submitting a review of Optical Express. We are proud of our people and our #OneTeam culture which encourages an environment of support and respect for each other. We work together to ensure our patients always have the very best of care, thank you for being part of our team!

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Shambles

Jul 9, 2021 - Clinic Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Base salary was excellent for the role.

Cons

Area manager who had never worked in retail. A glorified yes man for middle management who were clueless as to how retail works. Unless your clinic had an Optom who was interested in laser you couldn’t meet targets. Bonus structure never explained. Unable to attract Optoms so you operate a clinic that can’t do eye tests and are grilled in failure to hit targets?! Stores are antiquated, processes outdated and systems backwards. Regional managers want to micro manage, give you no room to grow the branch. Training non-existent.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Poor at all levels

Jul 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Bonding with fellow workmates over how awful it is.

Cons

Literally everything else - treatment from management, toxic culture of blame between head office and stores, poor pay. You would be better off jobless.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Worst place to work - ever!

Jul 2, 2021 - Marketing Executive in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

A few colleagues were lovely.

Cons

Clueless, bullying management Cliquey, dog eat dog culture Marketing 'manager' who had no marketing skills relevant to the 21st century During Covid, the company made people redundant, then hired new people in same jobs months later - legal/ethical? Minimum benefits - all you'll get are the legal minimums for everything, and be prepared to clock in clock out like a 1960s factory worker every day! Massive turnover of staff. Wonder why?? Finally, take a look at those reviews here, all glowing 5 stars from current employees...hmmm.

4 people found this review helpful

Optical Express Response

As with many businesses the effects of COVID-19 sadly meant that staff redundancies were unavoidable. We are equally surprised that your review is negative as the marketing team have always been a happy and positive team with no negative feedback or reviews. We understand how difficult it is when your role has been made redundant and this can sometimes leave a negative view of your employment. We hope that you have some happy memories of working at Optical Express and wish you all the best in your future career.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good

Jun 30, 2021 - Optometrist in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Progression clinically is very good

Cons

Large company can get lost

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Feb 26, 2021 - Clinic Manager in Kingston upon Thames, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Optical Express have given me the chance to move up to a manager role. After working as a Patient Advisor for the last 3 years I am glad to have the opportunity to start a new role. Regional management are great support and motivates you to succeed in your KPI's. If you like a fast pace job, then this job is for you. I am glad that I am working for number 1 eye care provider for laser and lens replacement surgery. Best part of the job, it brings me joy to put a smile on patients lives when they are found suitable. You also have the opportunity to do courses on OE academy at your own pace at work/home.

Cons

No cons - Only upsetting when you have to tell a patient they are un suitable for treatment.

Brand Manager

Thank you for your review of Optical Express. We know that career progression is important to our people, and we pride ourselves on offering encouragement and support. We look forward to continue to work with and help you develop professionally. Thank you for helping us have a positive impact on people’s lives!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 397 Reviews