Paddle Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Paddle CEO Christian Owens
Christian Owens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"You'll grow working at Paddle"

Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England
    Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England

I worked at Paddle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work environment and company culture. Young, ambitious heads at the helm driving Paddle through more and more rounds of funding and growth. Very open, opposite of corporate which is refreshing and certainly a company going places. A technically demanding sales role which will set you up for employment anywhere, you really will learn at an exceptional rate.

Cons

As with all young companies, culture can take time to develop, something older and more established companies take for granted. If you can be patient and flexible though, as Paddle matures from a rebellious teen to a Bruce Wayne, it will no doubt be one to watch and be a real stamp on the map for UK based tech startups.

Advice to Management

More channels of mentorship

2. "Great company, wonderful people"

Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at Paddle (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has just moved into a new office in Shoreditch, the fridges are always stocked and there's regular free food. To be honest, it's been 0-100 on perks for me.

Cons

I have to find a con to working here. But you'll certainly find that you're expected to get stuck-in with anything and everything. There's a lot to do, as with any start-up, and for people who like to get involved it's a fantastic atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing in giving people space and resource to do what they're best at.

"Fantastic Environment"

Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in London, England
    Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in London, England

I have been working at Paddle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company focus on be open and transparent! It has an awesome environment to work and management really cares about you as an individual. It is also amazing seeing the company growing so much and see your impact on that. Here they believe everyone is the owner of the company, therefore its success is our success as a team as well.

Cons

Fast pace environment, everything changes quickly and everyone at all times have to ready to adapt, which can become very overwhelming.

4. "Always learning"

I have been working at Paddle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- paddle encourages everyone to take ownership of their work and always be curious.
    - the product is sophisticated, but people in the company are very friendly and helpful in explaining what it is and what they do, etc. to new joiners
    - there are really good benefits such as flexible working hours

Cons

- The company is moving so quickly; things change every week. Thus it is difficult to maintain the same culture paddle started with
    - With fast expansion there will be some uncertainty within some people in the company, not everyone will be happy with the changes, so you must be comfortable to constant changes.

5. "Designer"

I have been working at Paddle full-time

Pros

- Great culture
    - Great people
    - Great company

Cons

- Product Teams work in silos
    - Design is kind of happening behind the scenes and not many (design) projects get shipped. I believe this might be a temporary situation as the company is currently growing rapidly

"Fast growing startup with great people and growth potential"

I have been working at Paddle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The people at Paddle are friendly, helpful, and smart so there's a lot of opportunities to learn and develop in this environment
    -The company is growing really quickly and adding a lot of great benefits for employees to make sure our wellbeing is taken care of
    -They are also open to sponsoring overseas candidates on a work visa as I'm a beneficiary of that

Cons

-Like many startups during rapid growth, we face similar challenges with managing change in processes, better defining area ownership, aligning and communicating on strategies
    -There are lots of good people-related initiatives but some of them would be good to consult with employees first before implementing.

Advice to Management

-Listen and respond to employee feedback and don't be afraid to address tough issues / show vulnerability
    -Keep living up to the open & transparent value

"Open, Transparent and Fast Moving"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England

I have been working at Paddle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Free lunch Tuesdays, free breakfast every day, snacks + drinks etc, free massages, yoga.
    + Heavily invested in training and development particularly on other areas of the business. Lunchtime learning Tuesdays to share knowledge across the company. Also, large personal development/learning budget to spend per individual.
    + Lots of structure to help make resources and information discoverable already created, more structure than I had in 6K people companies.
    + Lots of touch points with exco and leadership team, often working on XFN projects with them. Exco in general are all incredibly humble, nice people and there doesn't feel like there's the distance that can sometimes exist between leadership and everyone else.
    + People are given a lot of responsibility here and have the freedom to come up with new ideas, which can get implemented super quickly.
    + Both a pro and con but we've outgrown the office significantly, luckily we're moving into a nice new shiny space at the beginning of December.
    + Work life balance is good, I feel like I can switch off outside of work and have more manageable working hours than I've had previously.

Cons

- Benefits are decent but not as good as I've had previously (some additional benefits are kicking in this month though, e.g. gym, private healthcare), would be great to also factor in dedicated dental insurance, more comprehensive/longer parental leave, childcare vouchers etc.

"A place I can grow with"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in London, England
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in London, England

I have been working at Paddle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Paddle 6 months ago and haven't regretted a day of working here since. I love that from Day 1, whatever project I wanted to tackle my teammates enabled me to take ownership and accountability — we've gotten to learn SQL and Python during peer coding classes with the Engineering and Ops team, I got organize an event hosted at our office with support form the Marketing team and more, and Paddle has sponsored me to take online classes learning illustration and design. Whether it's broadening my skillset in something related to my core "bread-and-butter" work or beyond, the feeling I've gotten is that Paddle really takes personal and professional progression seriously and the team will do what they can to open new opportunities for you.
    Before joining Paddle, I've found that a lot of startups/scaleups I interviewed with didn't really extend their version of culture and values past beanbags, foosball tables and beer in the fridge. Paddle by comparison lives and holds itself up to its core values every day: Unlimited paid holidays and remote days as well as flexible working hours reflect the value of building trust (i.e. trust that you'll be able to manage your own time to be at your best), weekly all-hands meetings and business reviews aim to be open and transparent about where the business is going, what's going well and what can still be improved. There's no numbers the exec team knows that the rest of the team doesn't.
    Overall I feel that Paddle hires people for potential and for the long term, they want to nurture your skillset and let you grow with them. At the end of the day, you spend a third of your life at work and I want to make sure that I will get along with the people I work with, and people are what I stay for. Even though we're growing fast that familial environment hasn't diluted — not at 40 and not at 140 people.

Cons

Benefits offered are expanding rapidly but fairly recent. Especially considering that 50% of our team comes from outside the UK we don't yet hold up to our standard on making it easy for people (incl. me) to relocate. Temporary housing or the like, as well as sponsoring part of my daily commute would be a great bonus — particularly in one of the priciest cities in the world.

"Awesome Place to Work & Grow"

I have been working at Paddle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paddle offers everything you could need to grow & develop both personally & professionally. The organisation is open and transparent so you always know what is going on and what direction the business is going in. Never a dull moment with lots of challenges and exciting things to be working on.

Cons

A start up environment is incredibly fast paced so you are always on the go.

"Awesome place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in London, England

I have been working at Paddle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The product itself is interesting, it doesn't feel like the usual fintech company. It's easy to get excited about the possibilities of growth.
    - The perks are really good: remote first company, flexible holidays and a lot of facilities to boost your knowledge.
    - Colleagues are talented and overall everyone is really friendly and welcoming.
    - Engineering management (including Team Leads) are great.
    - From all the places I've worked in, Paddle is the one who manages stress the best. Even though is a platform with a lot of traffic and transactions, I've never witnessed any moment of panic or hysteria when there has been issues. There's no a culture of blaming or backstabbing. I still haven't seen people working after 7-8pm.
    - ExCos are approachable: all of them come "from the trenches". There's not much middle management.

Cons

- The usual vertigo of hyper-growth: new people starting every week (although few people leaving), new teams popping all the time.
    - Paddle was born as an Engineering centric company, so it's still missing a lot of Design Thinking in its workflows.
    - Open office which can be noisy sometimes.