Paddle Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Paddle Interview Questions

Interviews at Paddle

2.7

Customer Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paddle in April 2019.

Interview

You submit your resume to an ATS(applicant tracking system) to be parsed for relevant keywords. Make sure you have them in there, they're in the job description.

Then you'll get an email asking to answer two sample questions. I was told in email from the Paddle rep that I'd get a response back within 24 hours from their support team but no one emailed back and it's been more than a month (which is basically tantamount to their saying: "F*!k you, we don't value your time enough to even send a boilerplate rejection email). Took about 1 to 1.5 weeks from submitting my resume, to getting email to getting ghosted.

Interview Questions

• Customer background:

They are currently in their first week of integrating their systems with Paddle and wrote into our support team with the following question:

"Dear Support,

I’m exceptionally frustrated. I’ve been trying for days to get my subscription plans setup correctly. I can successfully purchase a plan via our website, and we do receive an email informing us about the order, but I can’t keep on manually updating this in our system! Surely there is a way to do this automatically? What am I missing here?

Also, on my test purchase, it came through on my bank statement as ***PADDLE.NET*** how do I change this to display BIGVOICE instead? This will really confuse our customers!

This was supposed to be easy.

Sincerely,

Jesse

Head of Product

Big Voice"

Assignment 1 :

Please write a sample response back. You can use the Paddle documentation and sign up for a free seller account if you find it helpful.   Answer Question
    • "Good news! Your response saved the day and Big Voice have been happy Paddle clients for the last few months. Until now:

'Hi Support,

Your system is impossible to use! It’s really important to us to keep control of our data. Someone from our support team updated our product information and changed the checkout price for all customers rather than updating it for the ONE customer they were meant to!

This is ridiculous, I need you to fix this yesterday.

Thanks. Jesse.'

Assignment 2:

How would you describe Jesse’s tone? Why do you think he feels this way?
      What tactics or strategies would you use in answering this email?
      What would you do internally with a ticket like this?
      Write a sample response back to Jesse.   Answer Question

31 May 2019 – Talent

Hey there,

We're sorry you had a negative experience with us. Depending on the role, our aim is to get back to candidates within 3 working days and we clearly haven't lived up to our mark in your case.

We review each resume manually and our ATS (we currently use Greenhouse) does not have the functionality to parse keywords. We look for potential more than experience so limiting ourselves to looking only for keywords in a resume would actually impair us from ensuring a diverse pipeline of talented candidates.

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paddle (London, England) in March 2020.

Interview

1Phone Call with People Team
        - classic startup interview
        - not extremely defined culture, but good vibe overall

2. Technical Test 1 (Zoom call)
        - this might be F2F for you, but this is happening because of the pandemic
        - some overall question about how you currently work, seems to me more informative for the
          Paddle team to see how other companies deal with similar roles.
        - the actual technical part was basically 10 lines of code (adding their Checkout button on a
           page). I guess it's a good measure to filter non-technical people, but if you are applying you are probably more than able to do this. This task assesses your ability to read their docs basically.

3. Technical Test 2 and Commercial - Zoom call
        - this is normally a F2F but there is a pandemic going on
        - the task was a basic config of their Checkout solution and a simple POST/GET request done to their API from a server-side language. Again, if you can read docs and do HTTP calls you are all good. Basically assessing the same thing as phase 1.
         - after the tech test, there is an interaction with someone from the commercial team. Put on your Relationship Manager/ Customer Success pants for this one. Sure it's not the role you are applying for, but seems to be what they want to hear. Talk about how you manage relations with clients.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join Paddle?   Answer Question
    • If you come from a similar role; How do you manage the full client go-live process and what role do you play?   Answer Question
    • How do you manage relations with clients?   1 Answer
    • Describe a situation where a salesperson is selling a feature you might not have. How do you handle it? (perhaps assume this is happening in a meeting with a client and you are present)   Answer Question
    • How do you manage stakeholders? (a summary of many questions)   Answer Question
    • What do you do if a client is complaining about something not working?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Paddle in March 2020.

Interview

The interview process was fast and straightforward, despite the unfolding COVID-19 situation. Great communication from all the team members (all-virtual interviewing), who were open and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions varied and were focused on my past product experience and whether I can provide relevant examples that are suitable for their role. The conversations were smooth (1st with talent partner; 2nd and 3rd with other PMs (back-to-back); 4th with Group PM & Engineering Lead & final one on culture) and we covered anything from communication with stakeholders; design & engineering teams to product discovery; delivery and ongoing results measurement.
      There was a brief assignment as well that required from me to explore a bit more their service; competitors and suggest potential enhancements and how they can be tackled.   Answer Question

Business Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paddle (London, England).

Interview

Process is split into 3 stages, relatively straight-forward. The interviewers were extremely helpful and approachable. I found it easy to communicate and felt extremely comfortable during my 15 minute presentation. I was encouraged to ask questions about the company of which i had plenty and all were answered sufficiently.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to Paddle?   1 Answer

BDR Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paddle (London, England) in November 2019.

Interview

Talent partner was 10 minutes late for the call (on a Friday). Call was to dive into my experience etc. Was told that at the end of the call I would hear no back no later than Monday. A couple of LinkedIn messages to the recruiter, first response was they'll get back to me the end of the week as they're interviewing other candidates. Second message was ghosted. Unprofessional experience, regardless of the outcome of the process, candidates should be managed properly, successful or unsuccessful.

Interview Questions

Paddle Response

23 Jan 2020 – Talent

Hi there,

We are very sorry to hear you had a negative experience, but we do appreciate your feedback as we are always happy to improve.

We understand that your time is valuable and we strive to ensure all calls are made on time and without delay. We would have been transparent about the reasons of the delay on the call with you.

We also aim to send feedback to everyone, regardless of whether or not you were successful in the interview process. If we miss a candidate it's by accident rather than company practice.

We are happy to provide a follow-up email with feedback and reasons why you were rejected. So please feel free to send an email to vassia@paddle.com and we will get back to you within a working day.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paddle (London, England) in October 2019.

Interview

3 stages:

Stage 1 - Call with the recruiter
    Stage 2 - F2F with a Sales Manager
    Stage 3 - F2F and presentation with Sales Manager and VP of Sales

An all-round poor experience that has quite frankly put me off interviewing at other companies. The presentation consists of looking at their competitors under the pretence that you are a product owner recommending one solution to the head of product and the CFO of a preselected company.

Paddle, unfortunately, is uninterested in seeing how you present in a sales environment or how you come across or the quality of the presentation slides. What they want instead is a generic presentation on the differences between competitors.

It’s for that reason my recommendation to anyone else doing this presentation is to not try to make the presentation interesting or impressive. Do not try to pick outside the box companies to reflect a broad scope of competition. Instead, take the information readily available off the front page of the competitor’s website and copy that into a slide deck and you are in a with a good shot of winning a position at Paddle.

My questions and recommendations to Paddle in the future are this. What are your goals and motivations in hiring someone in sales? Are you after a motivated salesperson or are you after somebody that knows everything about the industry in its entirety after 3 days? If so, why provide 3 weeks of training when they start? As a quickly growing company, it’s unsustainable in terms of both your own time and resources and that of the candidates to write someone off over one mistake in a presentation. To continue with that mindset will only result in a bottleneck of talent as you overlook otherwise, and this is in your own words not mine, “a candidate with a great sales background, who has the past experience in start-up we are looking for, asked great questions and presented well and confidently”

I write this review purely because my other disappointment lies in the lack of communication from Paddle themselves. After spending hours and hours creating a presentation and having a number of back and forth conversations via email with the sales manager, I was so disappointed to not even get a response to a very candid email asking for further feedback.

To summarise, if you want to be inventive during the interview process, take risks and invest large amounts of your time trying to impress this is simply not the company for you, unfortunately, they just don’t value that. If you lack sales ability but think you know how copy and paste works this may well be your ticket to a new job. This company seems fantastic at everything they do, great product great future. But and it’s a big but, this will not continue with your current recruitment process.

Interview Questions

Paddle Response

23 Jan 2020 – Talent

Hi there,

We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience at Paddle. We try our best to give a fair and straightforward interview process that gives you the chance to learn what our company product is, the industry we work in, our cultural values, possible career paths, as well as time for us to learn about you and how you fit into the values we hold. We would never assume that everyone should know exactly what we do - we're a B2B business in a niche area and specifically in our final stage interview for this role (presentation task), we look for someone who can demonstrate their ability to quickly learn and understand the industry we're working in, identifying pros/cons of competitors, and be able to explain these coherently. We do advise in the confirmation email/task instructions that there aren't any rules around how this should be structured and what providers/competitors you should choose from, as long as they are relevant to the task and they are explained in a coherent manner.

We also aim to send feedback to everyone within 72 hours regardless of whether or not you were successful in the interview process. If you applied through a staffing agency we would typically get back to the agency, but if we missed an email coming directly from you, we do apologise - that's by accident rather than company practice and this is something we'll be more conscious of going forward.

The Talent Team at Paddle

Engineering Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paddle.

Interview

Got to the 1st technical phone interview, decided after it to not continue applying.

Initial phone call with technical recruiter - quite shallow, mostly checking off what's on my CV on their side. Not much interaction.

1st technical phone interview was about 3 rapid fire questions about some OO basic concepts, then a brief system design (classes/entities and their relationships) and then 3 leadership questions.

All in all, I didn't get a real feel for the company, the people or it's culture on either call. It was all rather robotic, which is a shame as the impression Paddle give externally is of a company that is quite the opposite.

Fraud and Chargeback Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paddle (London, England) in May 2019.

Interview

The interview process was very swift and easy to follow. The HR team were welcoming, and understanding of my needs. You have the opportunity to have a chat with the HR team to learn more about the company, followed by a quick conversation with the relevant team you would be working with which acts as a preliminary telephone interview without the pressure. Then I was invited to visit the office for a face to face interview which involved completing a presentation beforehand, followed by some general questions about my previous employment history. I heard back from them within a week.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you developed a skill in a work or non work setting and how did you develop this skill?   1 Answer

28 May 2019 – Talent

Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback — excited to have you with us very soon! 🚀💪

The Talent team

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Paddle (London, England) in April 2019.

Interview

Interview process took a hole day in their building, nice and engaging people that made you feel relaxed, really thought that the day is gonna be great..
    The interview its self was consisted of group assesments, that by all means would not be able to judge a particular persons skills and strong points, nevertheless I adapted to the given tasks along with the group, and tought everything went really well.At the end of the day, we were told that they have chosen the more experienced people for the role, despite on the job description and requirments they stated that they will not require experience, sour ending of the day.I believe that the culture of the company is a bit missleading, claiming to be something else then they really are.A very sour experience overall and dissapointing.

Interview Questions

• How did you manage to come the conclusion that Paddle is the best choice for a company?(group task, hyphotetic scenario)   1 Answer

31 May 2019 – Talent

Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking part in our assessment day event and we're sorry that you were disappointed in the outcome.

We had 12 people attend on the day and 2 roles available, which we ultimately chose to give to the two candidates who performed best throughout the set of exercises we did together — we did not choose based on experience (if we did, we would have had a different set of requirements selected our attendees for the day). It is unfortunate but unavoidable that we have to let some people out of the process despite their potential.

We will use your feedback to improve on our assessment day and ensure a good experience for anyone regardless of the outcome.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Paddle (London, England) in January 2019.

Interview

Overall, a very slick and informative interview process! I felt like the process was well-communicated throughout and I knew what was expected of me at each stage.

Application: I applied to Paddle directly via the Careers section on the website.

Phone Interview (1st round, 30-45 mins):
    > I had a call with a member of the Talent team to talk through my understanding of Paddle, the role and dig into my previous experience
    > The interviewer took time and care to explain the company and role, and it felt like much more of a discussion to broaden my understanding of Paddle and the industry which I found very useful in deciding whether this was the right opportunity for me!

In-Person Interview (2nd round, 60 mins):
    > Next, I had a F2F interview with the Head of Customer Success and an Account Manager within the team
    > I had been given time in advance to prepare a presentation on myself and why I thought I was a good fit for the role (15 mins)
    > This was followed up by Q&A on my presentation (20 mins)
    > The rest of the interview was made up of questions on my experience, motivations and understanding of the role (25 mins)
    > I was also given the opportunity to ask my own questions on Paddle, the culture, team, role and anything else I wanted to know about the opportunity

Final Interview (3rd round, 60 mins):
    > Finally, I met with the CCO and Head of Customer Success for a final round interview
    > This stage involved a research / presentation exercise to test my understanding of the software e-commerce space, key players and customer business needs
    > After some Q&A on the slides, there were a few more questions on my experience and how I'd handle certain situations

Following the interview, I had a follow-up call with the original Talent team member who informed me that I was being offered the position. I was over the moon as I believe Paddle will be a great place to work and a superb opportunity to be a part of a thriving, vibrant scale-up!

Interview Questions

• What is your understanding of what Paddle does?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with a customer who is being slow to respond, even if it's within their interests to move quickly?   Answer Question
    • If you're successful in joining Paddle as an account manager, what would a successful first 12 months look like to you?   Answer Question

3 Feb 2019 – Talent

Hey there,

Thanks a ton for your feedback — we're stoked to have you with us at Paddle very soon as the new year kicks off! 🚀💪

The Talent team

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.