Saga Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Lance Batchelor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great range of benefits, especially free shares and the option to add an extra weeks holiday allowance a good work / life balance (in 4 reviews)

• A wide range of support within the business from management and senior management (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The way that staff are treated is appalling (in 3 reviews)

• The whole 'one Saga ' thing really doesn't exist when call centre staff are treated so differently from other parts of the business (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good Employer for the area"

Former Employee - Assistant Marketing Manager in Folkestone, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Marketing Manager in Folkestone, England

I worked at Saga Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Saga offers good opportunities for employees in East Kent. It has the perks of a large organisation and good route for career progression.

Cons

It does not offer the same sort of salaries that you would get at competitors closer to London if you are willing to commute.

2. "We really are ONE SAGA!!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time

Pros

Excellent company with excellent benefits. All staff are friendly and approachable. Found the HR recruitment team amazing, really helpful. Seamless transition into the company, a very positive experience.

Cons

Nothing to date, all going smooth.

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work!

3. "former employee"

I worked at Saga Group full-time

Pros

good training, commission percentage fairly good.

Cons

can be hard to earn commission, unfair targets.

5. "Staff come last"

I have been working at Saga Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good incentives, majority of managers are great people. The wage is adequate for the roles

Cons

The company has evidenced it will throw staff under the bus if it is going to meet a business requirement. They are inconsistent and often unrealistic about both forecasting of business and thresholds for employee bonus / commission schemes. A lot of good staff have left due to being shortchanged opportunities. Poor rota/scheduling.

Advice to Management

Senior management: Try doing the job agents do day in day out to appreciate the demands they are currently faced with from their customer demographic.
    Staff Happy to be on the phone = happy customers. They’re worth more. The team managers are brilliant and most make so many welcome to the business but a few who have evidenced they are poor at the job consistently from multiple staff complaints should not be kept in positions.

6. "Work"

I have been working at Saga Group full-time

Pros

Good people, fairly relaxed, growth opportunities

Cons

Development largely comes down to your face fitting

16 Aug 2017 – .

Thank you for recommending us. In addition to discussions with your line manager, you might find it useful to know you can get in touch with us to arrange a 1-2-1 to see how we can help with your... More

"Customer Service Insurance"

Former Employee - Sales/Customer Service Advisor in Folkestone, England
    Former Employee - Sales/Customer Service Advisor in Folkestone, England

I worked at Saga Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you treat it for what it is. The commission is high when you hit target. Almost all of the managers are helpful along with senior members of staff, help if needed is always at hand. Team promotions run alongside the company ones and they can be fun. Onsite subsided cafe. I would definitely work here again.

Cons

It can be considered as repetitive as a lot of what you say is scripted but these things you have to get in the conversation.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff more. Bring back the cascade.

14 Jul 2017 – .

Thank you for your time to share this feedback, it’s much appreciated – The Saga Recruitment Team.

"Wishing I hadn't invested so much time"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Folkestone, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Saga Group (More than a year)

Pros

Generally people are friendly. Fresh fruit, Costa coffee machine in canteen

Cons

Really targeted. The whole 'one Saga ' thing really doesn't exist when call centre staff are treated so differently from other parts of the business. The starting pay is dire, seriously dire but they are very defensive about it as you can can earn commission. You can also have months where you don't earn commission so the basic pay needs to be higher.
    Medical conditions with full specialist backing are not recognised and basically tough if you're ill. Cannot work part time. Compulsory bank holiday working. Minimum holiday, breaks, maternity package is given. This is a company that could really stand out as being a great place to work but sadly the staff at the bottom aren't rewarded.
    Many managers are lazy and certainly don't embrace the 'Saga way ' many managers are there because they've always been there and the company won't sack them. If I hadn't invested so much time then I would leave but feel I can't as I'd have wasted a huge chunk of my life.

Advice to Management

Pay more, give more. Treat staff as you treat customers. Reward good customer service rather than how much money an agent has made. Get rid of the team managers that won't help or get off their chairs to take a manager call. Realise that staff have families and working bank holidays isn't family friendly especially when holiday entitlement is so poor to start with. Stop the them and us culture. Call centre staff are so undervalued

14 Jul 2017 – .

We’re sorry to read this feedback. We’d really appreciate if you could get in touch with one of the team so that we can meet with you to better understand your experiences. Please contact us at... More

"Hell on Earth!!"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Ramsgate, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Ramsgate, England

I worked at Saga Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free parking, free coffee, free water.

Cons

Well, what can I say? If you love being monitored and scrutinised then you will just love life at Saga. You'll also need to enjoy happy clappy performance meetings by clueless managers to make sure that the company is extracting every last ounce of revenue from you.

When you go through 'training' you are constantly told that the customer is your sole focus and that you 'have to see the world through their eyes'. Unfortunately, it is total BS. The company cares nothing about their customers and will encourage you to pressure sell to them and close them regardless as to whether the insurance is right for them or not.

If you have no ambition, join Saga.

Do yourself a favour. If you want to go somewhere in life, don't work for this company. You will just end up one of their phone slaves having to listen to customers constantly ranting about the premium you quote them which is usually 300% more than the other insurance providers. Very uncompetitive!

You will also have to endure you manager constantly sitting there listening in on your calls analysing everything you say to the customer as if you are a robot.

You are not trained to build rapport with customers which any good salesperson will tell you is key to getting a sale and retaining customers. Not in Saga's eyes though. Customers to them are just pieces of meat to extract money from. Their employees are just a tool to get the job done. Your opinion won't count, so don't bother trying to put anything to them as they are not interested.

Saga is a very sinister company that will just exploit you. Don't do it!! Find yourself a better job and employer.

Advice to Management

None. They are all brain dead zombies that are just following Saga protocol.

12 Jul 2017 – .

We are disappointed to hear you feel this way about your experience and would really like to sit down with you to better understand.

Please can you contact saga.careers@saga.co.uk so we can get... More

10. "It's ok"

Current Employee - MI Analyst in Sandgate, England
    Current Employee - MI Analyst in Sandgate, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time

Pros

Good group of people working there so a really friendly and sociable atmosphere. Travel is also a fantastic industry to work in

Cons

Do not promote the right people if face doesn't fit. Had been working hard in a job and going above and beyond every day, when a promotion came up very suitable to role I was turned down. After which I was expected to train the new person that I wasn't supposed to be up to standard for.

Advice to Management

Promote the right people in the right places and when people do a great job recognise this rather just expect it to happen

9 Jun 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Helping people to develop their talents remains a key focus for us. The aim of our recruitment policy is to ensure that there is a fair and... More

"You have to be a certain kind of person..."

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Folkestone, England
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Folkestone, England

I worked at Saga Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The support I got when leaving!

Cons

We were mislead by information, I wasn't aware the role was for sales as they called the role Customer Service Adviser online. Plus the salary was misleading, even internally in training we were told we would get paid time and a half for working Sundays, that we would work 2 in 3 weekends or some staff were told 3 in 5 and 2 in 4 so it varied and none of this was true.
    The company weren't sympathetic about medical conditions.
    We were not properly trained, I know you learn a lot on the actual job but the tiny amount we were given was beyond a joke. They push for you to learn a second product as soon as they can, with us it was within 3 months which everyone had said was earlier than most, and again basic training so it was difficult on the job.
    The trainers and my manager did not agree with each other over our call structure and this would result in us getting mixed messages with my manager basically trying to force us to do things his way, when the trainers way was more suited to myself.
    My manager caused me a lot of stress and anxiety pushing too far on occasion, listening to every call, hounding me about every call.
    His methods were nothing I've ever seen before and it's pushed 5 of us out of the team I was in so far.
    My manager preached that it was all about the customer and constantly stated Saga do not penalise you for not meeting your targets, they penalise you for not following your set actions, which was utter rubbish because he was constantly on our cases for not hitting weekly and monthly targets. I understand that you should be pushed but this was way over the top.
    A lot of staff are attracted because of all the drinking and partying, which is fair enough but for those of us who don't drink it's difficult to fit in.
    Hard to apply for decent roles, they don't advertise a lot externally which is fine, but they don't allow you to really try what you want to if sales isn't for you.
    Pay is poor, good for the area of Folkestone, but poor in the grand scheme of things.
    Hours were different every day, and every week making it hard to adjust.
    I could go on, honestly it is an awful place to work and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Advice to Management

Definitely need to look into some of their managers and the way they are treating their teams. Need to be clearer when advertising jobs and actually listen to the rubbish we are told in training to stop confusion. Update the buildings. Listen to employees.

9 Jun 2017 – Recruitment Manager

We’re sorry to read this feedback. We are really committed to creating a supportive working environment for all colleagues and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the concerns highlighted... More