Saga Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Lance Batchelor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great range of benefits, especially free shares and the option to add an extra weeks holiday allowance a good work / life balance (in 4 reviews)

• A wide range of support within the business from management and senior management (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The way that staff are treated is appalling (in 3 reviews)

• The canteen food in the Hastings call centre was similar to what you'd expect to be given in a soup kitchen (in 4 reviews)

"There could be improvements"

Former Employee - Team Manager in Folkestone, England
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Folkestone, England

I worked at Saga Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I felt that the progression opportunities are brilliant if you are willing to put yourself out there. There’s so many different areas in the business to move to, I have seen call centre agents progress to training, HR, marketing, product.
    The team managers work so hard and maybe a lot of it goes unnoticed by the agents as they are constantly challenging things they don’t agree with and trying to make the contact centre as fun as possible, they will always support and have your back.
    Pay is good and there is room to earn so much more.

Cons

Managers are expected to do their role and the role of the ‘engagement team’. The whole reason of having an engagement team is surely to engaging agents, however I never saw that.
    Sometimes the hierarchy is taken too literal, people in certain positions are expected not to talk to people in higher up positions or the managers have to prep them prior to any meetings which is unfortunate as it stops people from saying what they want to say.

Advice to Management

Temporarily promoting the Head of Site to the Director role was one of the best decisions made - he is genuinely passionate about people & although his work load has increased massively he still makes the time to say hello to everyone he walks pasts.
    Listen to the concerns raised in exit interviews as we were losing some brilliant people and nothing got done with the points they raised other than put on a spreadsheet.
    Ask the engagement team to be more engaging - saying hello to agents as you fill up your water bottle surely isn’t that hard if the acting director does it!

29 Nov 2017 – .

Thank you for your positive rating of Saga.

We’re committed to identifying how we can continue to improve and appreciate you providing us with feedback.

The Saga Recruitment Team.

2. "They care about the shareholders and the customer but not the staff - not at all."

I have been working at Saga Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of different roles. Good place to start your career. Some really good people work here already.

Cons

They care about nothing but shareholder profits as the recent round of redundancies shows. The company is making a huge profit each year but any opportunity to do a cull is undertaken with apparent relish whether or not it is needed. People disappear regularly. It's like Stalinist Russia. Even if you take a recently advertised role it's no guarantee of keeping your job. They pretend to be trying to be the best employer in Kent but they have no chance. Oh and the pay is rubbish too. Plus the senior management are on ridiculous salaries whilst telling staff they have to cut the cost base!

Advice to Management

Stop pretending you care about the staff. You don't at all.

4 Dec 2017 – Recruitment Lead

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review.

It was great to read that you consider Saga a good place to start your career, the variety of roles that you mention means that careers can... More

3. "Call centre employee"

I worked at Saga Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people that work there are amazing and you have a real family vibe in your team. Good benefits. Mental health is taken very seriously and there is plenty of support for that.

Cons

Gets repetitive after a while. Targets are hard to hit and sometimes unachievable. Systems are constantly slow and have issues (Although are being upgraded in the near future.) Calls are too scripted and penalties are too harsh. If you miss one word of a script you could loose commission. Constant pressure is a lot to deal with and this does cause people to be stressed and worried. The company is more worried about making money and profits rather than the customer. Wasn't always like this but since we floated a lot of things have gone downhill which is a shame.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff. They moan for a reason. Too much time is spent ticking boxes and not actually engaging with the agents. Not all targets are fair and penalties certainly are very harsh.

5. "Good first job"

Former Employee - Senior Claims Handler in Folkestone, England
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Handler in Folkestone, England

I worked at Saga Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good first job for college leavers. But dont stay after your 21st birthday because once you become more mature you will get highly highly frustrated with the lack of knowledge and maturity of your fellow colleagues and the managers!! Just becomes an absolute zoo.

Cons

Pay peanuts and you'll employ monkeys.

Advice to Management

They should probably employ some managers first....

"Bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England

I worked at Saga Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff benefits
    Nice work colleagues

Cons

No work life balance
    High workload
    Managers do not care about your opinions or inputs

27 Oct 2017 – Recruitment Manager

We’re sorry to read this feedback. We’d really appreciate if you could contact us, so we can get a better understanding of your comments. Please contact us at saga.careers@saga.co.uk – The Saga... More

7. "Good Employer for the area"

Former Employee - Assistant Marketing Manager in Folkestone, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Marketing Manager in Folkestone, England

I worked at Saga Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Saga offers good opportunities for employees in East Kent. It has the perks of a large organisation and good route for career progression.

Cons

It does not offer the same sort of salaries that you would get at competitors closer to London if you are willing to commute.

28 Nov 2017 – .

Thank you for your feedback. The Saga Recruitment Team.

8. "Customer service"

I have been working at Saga Group full-time

Pros

Colleagues are friendly and helpful

Cons

Pay should definitely be higher

Advice to Management

Promote those who deserve it

28 Nov 2017 – .

Thank you for the time to share your feedback. The Saga Recruitment Team.

9. "We really are ONE SAGA!!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time

Pros

Excellent company with excellent benefits. All staff are friendly and approachable. Found the HR recruitment team amazing, really helpful. Seamless transition into the company, a very positive experience.

Cons

Nothing to date, all going smooth.

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work!

28 Nov 2017 – .

We appreciate your feedback. The Saga Recruitment Team.

10. "former employee"

I worked at Saga Group full-time

Pros

good training, commission percentage fairly good.

Cons

can be hard to earn commission, unfair targets.

28 Nov 2017 – .

Thank you for your feedback. The Saga Recruitment Team.

11. "Staff come last"

I have been working at Saga Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good incentives, majority of managers are great people. The wage is adequate for the roles

Cons

The company has evidenced it will throw staff under the bus if it is going to meet a business requirement. They are inconsistent and often unrealistic about both forecasting of business and thresholds for employee bonus / commission schemes. A lot of good staff have left due to being shortchanged opportunities. Poor rota/scheduling.

Advice to Management

Senior management: Try doing the job agents do day in day out to appreciate the demands they are currently faced with from their customer demographic.
    Staff Happy to be on the phone = happy customers. They’re worth more. The team managers are brilliant and most make so many welcome to the business but a few who have evidenced they are poor at the job consistently from multiple staff complaints should not be kept in positions.

28 Nov 2017 – .

We're sorry to read this. We'd really appreciate if you could get in touch via saga.careers@saga.co.uk to share more detail with us.