Saga Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Lance Batchelor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great range of benefits, especially free shares and the option to add an extra weeks holiday allowance a good work / life balance" (in 4 reviews)

• "A wide range of support within the business from management and senior management" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Plus the senior management are on ridiculous salaries whilst telling staff they have to cut the cost base" (in 5 reviews)

• "The way that staff are treated is appalling" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good company to work for."

Former Employee - Manager in Folkestone, England
    Former Employee - Manager in Folkestone, England

I worked at Saga Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good opportunity to progress if you put the work in. Always treated me very fairly. Targets are high but achieveable and support is given.

Cons

Targets are getting a lot higher.

Advice to Management

Tell your employees what is going on.

8 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and recommending us as an employer.

We agree that communication is a vital part of the day-to-day running of Saga and this can always be... More

2. "Ok"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some great people here and everyone is really friendly. Ive applied for a few jobs recently and even though I didn't get them, the girl from recruitment has met with me on several occasions to discuss my feedback and even mock interview me to help my confidence and help with my cv. My team manager is awesome and my operations manager is approachable and supportive. Training teams are lovely and make training really fun and enjoyable!

Cons

targets are hard sometimes and everyone struggles to hit them even top agents. It took me a while when I started to understand the SRS commission scheme as it's confusing. I've worked at other insurance companies and it was much easier and I felt more relaxed each month. Canteen food could be more varied I don't want to eat chips or curly chips everyday. Redundancies have scared everyone and nobody feels safe. Loads of people are leaving because of this as is very stressful having no job security.

Advice to Management

Help us build moral!

"Awful Company,"

Former Employee - Facilities in Folkestone, England
    Former Employee - Facilities in Folkestone, England

I worked at Saga Group full-time

Pros

Great work colleagues, made good friends,

Cons

Worked at Saga for over 3 years, worst time of my life, awful bullying management, who think nothing of employees welfare you will only get on if you brown nose and your face fits, promote members of the team who can't manage themselves let alone others, never seen a department with so many people off with stress and depression which seriously needs looking at, but HR are not on your side if you bring up issue's they will side with managers, and you won't get rich working here, as they think that exceeding the minimum wage by 20p an hour is fantastic, no it's insulting, basically all you are is a number, as redundancys 2 weeks before Christmas tells its own story .

Advice to Management

Look after your staff and they will put the effort in and enjoy there job, better training needed, and pay proper wages and get managers who know what there doing,

30 May 2018

We’re sorry to read this feedback. As an organisation, we are always looking to improve and take your feedback very seriously.

We’d really appreciate if you could contact us, so we can get a... More

4. "Job for life if you want it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is OK for area and what is about
    If you act like an adult you treated like one
    If you act like a child then your treated as such

Cons

Flexibility at times for all levels doesn't feel the same, they could do more to allow working parents flexibility such as working from home.

Advice to Management

Keep talking to your staff, nothing is feared more than the unknown

1 May 2018 – .

Thank you for leaving a positive review of Saga.

We're striving to improve our flexible working patterns and have both our customers' and employees interest in mind when considering this. We also... More

5. "New Era"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Progression Opportunities
    Management improving
    Private medical insurance
    Local offices to me
    Loads of different areas within the business to gain experience in
    Mostly great people to work with

Cons

Salaries not in line with other companies for similar roles
    Communication between departments
    Staff engagement is low at the moment

Advice to Management

Continue the improvements that are being put in place, its a working progress.
    No-one likes change and most will react adversely however if people are more aware of the change that is to come at least people can prepare for it. Decisions and reasons for decisions should be more clearly communicated.
    Staff engagement should be focused on a great deal more and more work to be put in to breaking down the silos of the business.
    Saga is a flourishing business with enormous potential, the staff are what create that.

"A decade at Saga"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people make the company; it's genuinely like a family and the majority of the staff have a strong sense of doing the right thing, both by the customers and by other staff members. They also have some great benefits for staff, and the offices are generally nice places to be, by the beautiful kentish coast.

Cons

Some areas of the business can be very management heavy, with several layers of middle management adding little value and clogging up progression routes. I also fear that Saga isn't as innovative as it could be as an organisation.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the right thing by your staff, and they'll be more than willing to give back the performances you need to meet your profit targets.

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience with Saga.

We are always looking to improve so please feel free to contact us with any more feedback or suggestions at... More

"Career Development"

I worked at Saga Group full-time

Pros

Saga gave me every opportunity to develop my career.
    I worked my way up to department manager by the time I left.
    Great exposure to different industries

Cons

Not enough people to do a great job

Advice to Management

Focus on your people and they will look after your customers

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience with Saga.

8. "Enjoy the work and people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy working for Saga. There are lots of benefits. They are working harder at communication, may not be spot on all of the time but things have improved a lot. There is a lot of training and support provided too.

Cons

Need more flexible in working patterns. Going through a period of change at the moment whixh is unnerving. Hopefully things will settle.

Advice to Management

I've worked at saga a long time. I believe things will get better. Keep listening to what is being said to help the business improve.

19 Mar 2018 – Recruitment Lead

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience with Saga.

"Avoid Saga Healthcare at all costs!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redhill, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redhill, South East England, England

I worked at Saga Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good, private healthcare, money off, child care vouchers etc etc

Cons

Saga Healthcare is THE worst company to work for. Certain managers bully their team members or treat their favourites better, 1 manager behaves inappropriately in work environment, HR cannot be trusted with confidentiality sensitive information, redundancies happen on a weekly basis, turn over of staff has almost reached 100%, managers are lacking in management quality, cannot lead their teams, ridiculing each other in meetings, no team work, A lot of blame culture, business struggles, ridiculous targets that are unachieveable, not friendly environment, no career progression available. Avoid Avoid Avoid!

Advice to Management

Clear up middle management, they have no ability to manage their teams, you need leaders not bully bosses. Create an environment where honesty is promoted and not secrecy and deception, promote team work and friendships. HR need to be overturned and looked into because no one trusts HR. Welcome 360 feedback and actually action it. Listen to employees, be fair. Be a leader and support individuals, don’t treat us like numbers we matter! Breed a culture and values that are take seriously. Stop making people ‘redundant’ when we know that means mutual agreement to leave. A serious serious look at the business needs to happen. Stop blaming your tools (employees) and start to look at yourselves. Get rid of directors on £100,000s and employee more lower level staff with expertise.

13 Apr 2018 – Recruitment Lead

Thanks for taking time out of your day to leave a review. It is a shame that you had a negative experience as it appears to be in conflict with our core values.

We would like to understand more so... More

"Nice office, nice people, but ultimately a frustrating company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandgate, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandgate, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You'll work in a really nice office, by the sea and surrounded by woods, with genuinely nice people.

The company is generally extremely flexible with working hours and holiday making it perfect for people with dependants.

As a big company there is usually plenty of opportunities for progression either upwards or sideways.

Cons

Saga are unprepared for the modern business landscape; running on antiquated systems, endless layers of self-reinforcing bureaucracy and totally under resourced/skilled in Digital PR & Marketing.

There are clear and determined efforts to address this but progress is slow and our competitors are increasing their advantage all the time.

Advice to Management

Tear down divisional silos, rip up all internal processes (start again fresh) and reduce management layers.

Support the creation of a vibrant & modern working environment with a focus on individual staff empowerment.

19 Mar 2018 – Recruitment Lead

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience with Saga. All feedback is useful and I am sure you are seeing changes in the areas you speak of.

We do have are really nice office and it is... More