Saga Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lance Batchelor

Pros
  • Great range of benefits, especially free shares and the option to add an extra weeks holiday allowance a good work / life balance (in 4 reviews)

• A wide range of support within the business from management and senior management (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Call centre staff are heavily overworked and managed by team leaders who are in the job because they are mates with operations managers (in 3 reviews)

• Little trust from senior management to staff and no home working allowed for most (in 3 reviews)

1. "One Saga"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Hastings, England
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Hastings, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The greatest place to work also we are proud of team effort and everyone got recognition for their contribution.

Cons

None. Everything's is on place.

Advice to Management

They need to carry-on the majestic work, then in the future will become stronger.

"You have to be a certain kind of person..."

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Folkestone, England
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Folkestone, England

I worked at Saga Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The support I got when leaving!

Cons

We were mislead by information, I wasn't aware the role was for sales as they called the role Customer Service Adviser online. Plus the salary was misleading, even internally in training we were told we would get paid time and a half for working Sundays, that we would work 2 in 3 weekends or some staff were told 3 in 5 and 2 in 4 so it varied and none of this was true.
    The company weren't sympathetic about medical conditions.
    We were not properly trained, I know you learn a lot on the actual job but the tiny amount we were given was beyond a joke. They push for you to learn a second product as soon as they can, with us it was within 3 months which everyone had said was earlier than most, and again basic training so it was difficult on the job.
    The trainers and my manager did not agree with each other over our call structure and this would result in us getting mixed messages with my manager basically trying to force us to do things his way, when the trainers way was more suited to myself.
    My manager caused me a lot of stress and anxiety pushing too far on occasion, listening to every call, hounding me about every call.
    His methods were nothing I've ever seen before and it's pushed 5 of us out of the team I was in so far.
    My manager preached that it was all about the customer and constantly stated Saga do not penalise you for not meeting your targets, they penalise you for not following your set actions, which was utter rubbish because he was constantly on our cases for not hitting weekly and monthly targets. I understand that you should be pushed but this was way over the top.
    A lot of staff are attracted because of all the drinking and partying, which is fair enough but for those of us who don't drink it's difficult to fit in.
    Hard to apply for decent roles, they don't advertise a lot externally which is fine, but they don't allow you to really try what you want to if sales isn't for you.
    Pay is poor, good for the area of Folkestone, but poor in the grand scheme of things.
    Hours were different every day, and every week making it hard to adjust.
    I could go on, honestly it is an awful place to work and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Advice to Management

Definitely need to look into some of their managers and the way they are treating their teams. Need to be clearer when advertising jobs and actually listen to the rubbish we are told in training to stop confusion. Update the buildings. Listen to employees.

3. "Great staff benefits but prepare for hard work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Saga is a great company to work for in terms of all the benefits they provide with the job. Once you've been with the company 6 months you unlock lots of benefits such as private medical insurance (which considering the NHS at the moment - it's a brilliant thing to have). There are lots of incentives to work towards such as Employee of the year and call of the month. The environment within the team is positive and friendly - more like a little family. If you work on the phone, there are levels you can work towards to increase your salary and bonus payouts (you have to hit targets for a certain period of time). You have to be very money driven to work on the phone as it's all about hitting targets to unlock your commission. There are plenty of forums that occur throughout the year where you can put across your opinions and tell Saga what you think is working and what can be improved. The senior management have an open door policy, so you can always email them if you have a problem or if you want to go and see them you can. Saga is very customer driven and focused so they are constantly looking at ways we can make their lives better. If you are committed to helping customers and doing your very best and sometimes going above and beyond then this is the place for you.

Cons

There are always lots of changes and some of these aren't always communicated quickly or effectively. The job on the phone is very repetitive and can get very boring and frustrating. You have to try and keep yourself motivated. Our calls are very scripted so you have to make sure you are saying the right things and in the right order. If you say something wrong this could mean you loose all or part of your commission.

5. "Customer service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Ramsgate, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Ramsgate, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly
    Progression opportunities
    Good pay
    Constantly learning

Cons

Targets can sometimes be hard

6. "Travel Sales Advisor Job"

Current Employee - Telephone Sales in Ramsgate, England
    Current Employee - Telephone Sales in Ramsgate, England

Pros

Only company to ever send me a box of chocolates congratulating me on appointment. Seem to actually care about staff and customers. Six week training period with good support from trainer and other trainees. Opportunities for promotion and commission. Clear systems for promotion / discipline / attendance, etc.

Cons

Low starting salary. Weekend & Bank holidays are included on the shift rota.

Advice to Management

More crib sheets needed to familiarise new staff with the vast amount of facts and data relating to products and company would aid learning/retention.

7. "Wow never worked for such a fab company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Folkestone, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Organised. Professional.
    Feel really valued. Lots of support and a fun place to work. People seem happy there too. Lots of rewards for working hard. Really enjoying working for Saga, just wish I'd changed jobs sooner

Cons

Low starting wage and can't earn commission whilst in probation. No sick pay either when on probation. Some of the team coaches aren't very helpful

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Consider a higher starting wage as many people who would be perfect for the job won't apply as put off by the money

8. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ramsgate, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ramsgate, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time

Pros

Been working for the company for over 20 years. Left for a couple of years and missed it so much came back to work here. Been back now for over 15 years. Its caring, friendly and sociable. There is so many ways you can progress, what you put in you will get out. The company believes in its customers and its not just lip service, the Staff really care about the customer which is so refreshing, and our senior management believe in ' Customer always comes first, the profit follows' a recipe for success.

Cons

Change happens often, so you need to be positive and have faith in the reason the change has happened.

Advice to Management

The Saga way and One Saga is the Future

9. "Saga is an innovative and progressive company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broadstairs, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broadstairs, England

Pros

The interview process is the most in depth and thought provoking I have ever been through. Over the day the HR Team were just fantastic. Everything was highly organised, interesting and they made it fun. Professionalism taken above and beyond to make the candidates fell welcome and informed.

Cons

It was a large number of candidates on the day and although everything was highly organised, it did make things a little daunting to begin with but it relaxed more after lunch and in to the afternoon.

Advice to Management

Maintaining the 'Saga Way' and continue the training ethos to the highest standard as you do, to ensure all new candidates who then become employees fully understand the core values of the company and what is expected of them. It definitely encourages people to want to be their best.

10. "Impressed so far"

Current Employee - Travel Advisor in Broadstairs, England
    Current Employee - Travel Advisor in Broadstairs, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone seems tobe happy. Phenomenal support if needed. Good Training/Trainers

Cons

Not all Training PC's working

Advice to Management

Need to get PC's repaired as people are missing out and only getting 50-75% training

11. "It's improving every day"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Broadstairs, England
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Broadstairs, England

I have been working at Saga Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic products
    Unquestionable mission to provide the best possible service to our customers
    Strong leadership that all adheres to the "Saga Way" way of thinking
    Customer is at the heart of everything
    Career opportunities
    Improving work/life balance
    An ever improving and ever listening culture to improve staff engagement and morale

Cons

Some of the systems and processes are a bit antiquated, but reviews are being held which will fix this.

Advice to Management

Please keep the "saga way" approach in the forefront of everyone across the group. This has made a huge difference