Barclays Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Community Banker - Essential Banking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockport, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Barclays (Stockport, England) in May 2018.

Interview

Firstly I had to fill in an online application and submit my CV with it. Shortly after that, they sent me a link of the online assessment which consist of a numerical test and verbal reasoning test. After that they contacted me for a face to face interview. The interview was very relaxed. The interviewer was a manager of the branch and didn't put me under pressure but encouraged me to give the best answers. It took about 30 minutes. Barclays send you a preparation pack before the interview and let you know about what competencies you're going to be tested on. Try prepare examples beforehand. Firstly the interviewer will ask you to talk about your CV and then may ask you about your ambitions, where do you see yourself in 10 years etc. Then you're going to be asked four questions based on the competencies. After that the interviewer will give you a chance to ask any questions that you may have and let you know when you will receive the outcome of the interview which I was told was going to back in a week's time but I received an email the next morning.

Interview Questions

• Why Barclays?   Answer Question
    • Tell us of a time when you identified a Risk.   Answer Question
    • Tell us of a time when you put yourself into a customer's shoes to assess a situation.   Answer Question
    • Tell us of a time when you recommended an banking app to a customer, peer or a colleague.   Answer Question
    • Tell us of a time when you overcame a weakness of yours. What actions did you take to overcome it?   Answer Question

Barclays Response

25 May 2018 – Head of Resourcing

Great to hear about your positive experience. Hope you got the job!

Assistant Vice President IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Barclays (Jersey City, NJ (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

easy and a cake walk for any individual with minimum of knoeledge. ANyone taking your interview is below average.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question: Explain embedded question lemma   Answer Question

Negotiation

tedious

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Barclays.

Interview

2 Rounds. First contact by HR for screening. HR mentioned the saalry offered and the grade for the position. He mentioned I would be contacted by Hiring manager for a 2nd interview. HR manwger asked generic questions on background and some work scenerio questions. Questions were project and infrastructure associated. I was relocating from alternate city so was asked about time frame for movement and availability.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Took a long time for background verification

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barclays.

Interview

Super Day at Barclays, hiring event. Interviewed with three senior managers (managing directors, group heads, etc.) Interview was intense. It took about an hour. Did not know exactly what position I was interviewing for, just knew it was a role in compliance. Process was really quick, within 3 weeks I heard back with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Who was the best manager I've every had and why?
      What negative things have you heard about the company in the news/media?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barclays in October 2011.

Interview

Total of 3 interviews that took 2 weeks total and I got an offer from Research IT group at the end
    Recruiter got me the phone as he had worked with group before (legacy lehman benchmark indices group)

1 phone screen
    2 onsite interviews - total 5 interviewers (2 peers, 2 with Manager from 2 different teams and 1 group MD)

Interview Questions

• phone screen - Basic data structure questions, yield computation on bonds and SQL group by questions
      Onsite interview - Current project and experience at Goldman . Program to write binary search, Tree depth , data structures   Answer Question

Assistant Vice President, IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Barclays (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Hiring is an ad-hoc process at barclays at least below VP levels. It depends on which group you interview into. You can expect strong coding questions as well as business questions. Depends on what you wrote in your resume.

Interview Questions

• this is not a difficult question but: Level order traversal of tree was asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation

you should negotiate... definitely... better if you have competing offers...competing offers are easy to match and/or beat for them but they might not negotiate easily without that.

Assistant Vice President, IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barclays (New York, NY (US)) in December 2009.

Interview

3 rounds interview. In first round of interview, first meet with hiring manager. Then following with 2 technical interview. Each one take around 1 hour. After that, wait one week for second round interview. Then continue with one technical interview and one personality interview. After that, wait another week for 3rd round interview. Still come with one technical interview and one personality interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

done by recruiter.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barclays (San Francisco, CA (US)) in May 2009.

Interview

The HR was very tough and cold. Very random questions and many basic questions such as "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Did not have a connection. I hope I will be more lucky next time. I my opinion Barclays is a good company. I will try again.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer
    • why you want to work for BGI?   1 Answer

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barclays (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

includes 2-3 phone interviews with senior members of the team. Questions range from algorithms to core java/OO & databases depending on the need of the position. Once phone interviews are cleared, you will be invited for an onsite interview which includes 4-5 interviews with team members and director + HR. If all goes well, offer will be extended

Java Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barclays (New York, NY (US)) in January 2010.

There was telephone interview
    1) Write code to find the max depth of a binary tree
    2)wait(), notify()
    3)in public static main() call object.wait() what happens?
    3) what is the complexity of binary tree max depth
    4)inner class vs static inner class (this guy can ask anything, annoymous inner class etc- be careful)

then face to face
     The first interviewer came into the room straight away took out some java code and a list of questions he seems to have pre-prepared in a paper, and asked me how to solve this problem.

Problem 1) Assume there is a method provided getNextperson() which gives Person objects which have comparable interface implemented, now read from a file records and sort it and give first 1000 records, write code on the paper
    Ans: then i started asking more information and clarification, I said seems like the problem can be broken down into 3 sub problems (problem solving skills) first read records, part by part so tat memory is not a issue, then construct a tree data structure of some sort (already sorted binary tree) and give first 1000 records.
    so basically start writing code to build a tree and sort it and write your own print method.
    So i do not think i got this answer right, but more step step discussion. He said why not use TreeMap(inbuilt for Java), then he used why use a Tree data structure at all?
    THIS QUESTION is very DIFFICULT

Problem 2) He had code printed off a paper which shows Singleton pattern, and asked if anything is missing in the logic
    Ans- I answered correct, a return statement was missing, and explained about synchronization of singleton class (more discussion)

Problem 3) Write a sql query , 2 tables, 1 driver, 1 vehicle, "give me all ssn who do not have vehicle" is the question, gave him the answer, and little discussion to fine tune it by not using subquery

He said time's up, he took about 45 min, and he said he will send the next person

Young kid. Asked about current work, then jumped right into code on a piece of paper.

Problem 4) write code to return a sort array of int, when passed in 2 sorted array of int to the method.
    Ans: the easiest way to do is put in a 3rd array and call array.sort, which he liked my approcach. Then more discussion on complexity, it is N square, so please try to optimize it. Then then i said compare each elment of 1 array to another array, then he asked to write code, more optimization etc. Then i put a loop in a loop, then he corrected it and said its N square again, so i suggested construct a loop for the size of 1 st array and 2nd array.

Then He said, he is out of time and the other guys are busy and could not make it, and they could get back to the recruiter. Then he walked me outside the door

Interview Questions

• Assume there is a method provided getNextperson() which gives Person objects which have comparable interface implemented, now read from a file records and sort it and give first 1000 records, write code on the paper   5 Answers
    • Write code to return a sorted array of int, when passed in 2 sorted array of int to the method.   4 Answers
    • what is the output
      public class Barclays {

f();
              public void f(){
                  System.out.println("B ctor");
          }
          public static void main(String[] args) {
              B b = new B();

int counter;
          class Mythread extends Thread{
              @Override
              public void run(){
                  for(int i=0; i < 10000; i++)
                      counter++;
              t1.join();
              System.out.println("" + a.counter);

}   1 Answer

KYC Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Barclays (Newark, DE (US)) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online, received a call by a recruiter who set up an interview. I then met with senior manager, discussed my background and asked a series of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.