FactSet Graduate Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 28 Apr 2019

2.9

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FactSet in March 2016.

Interview

I interviewed at FactSet (London) in March 2016.

First step: Applied online (CV, cover letter)
A few weeks later, email to schedule a phone interview.

Second step: A phone interview with two engineers (that were nice and understanding). First, I had general questions (What Factset does? Why Factset? Why software engineer? Front end or back end? Which language do I prefer?). Then, I had technical questions (basic, OOP and data structures (Hash table, array, list)). Then, I had to speak about a recent project (see below for the questions). Ended with the opportunity to ask questions.
The interview lasted a bit more than 1 hour.

I will have a face-to-face interview in London in a few days.

Interview Questions

• Could you describe a recent project? What did you do? What were the technical difficulties? How did you overcome them?   Answer Question
  • What are the key concepts of OOP? Could you define them? What's the difference between override and overload?   Answer Question
  • What's the difference between passing by reference and by value?   Answer Question
  • Difference between array, list and vector. Some complexity question (research, adding new elements ...)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for FactSet

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FactSet.

Interview

I applied online. The procedure was not surprising. Their HR is accommodating.

1. Introduction of yourself.
    2. How much do you know about the company?
    3. Why do you think your skill fits?
    4. The difference between pointer and reference?
    5. Why use reference more?
    6. How do you test a program that sorts an array of strings?

Interview Questions

• What is the best data structure to store sorted phone book data?   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FactSet.

Interview

Automatically redirected me to a rejection message mid-application, supposedly based on my answers to the screener questions provided.

Said screener questions were 1) Why do you want to work for FactSet, 2) Tells us about personal/outside projects, and 3) Tell us about your university major project.

I gave fairly comprehensive answers for all three, yet apparently they didn't meet whatever keyword/word count criteria the algorithm was using. Either way, an awful way to treat a potential candidate.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I interviewed at FactSet (London, England) in August 2018.

Interview

I got the phone interview for an hour. The questions can be found on glassdoor in detail, and it can be estimated that basically they did not change them during the past year. Got the opportunity to take the face to face interview. May update it later.

Interview Questions

• Array vs LinkedList. If I want to get access to every element in array or linkedlist sequentially, which would be preferred?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (London, England) in August 2016.

Interview

The interviewer were quiet nice. They made every effort to make me feel confident. Generally questions were about OOP concepts, data structures and algorithms and why FactSet. Also, they asked to describe one of the projects I have been involved in and my personal contribution to that project.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (London, England) in February 2017.

Interview

I appliedonline and a couple of weeks later I got the phone interview. I got the exactly same questions than my friends had later; the Company HR always repeat the same structure. There are two interviewers asking questions. if you dont get a position, you can call back to receive feedback

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the Company?   Answer Question
    • Basics of OOP   1 Answer
    • what data structure would you use to store an address book and why   1 Answer
    • what data structure would you use to store a server queue of requests   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FactSet (London, England) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, took exactly 1 hour. Was with 2 software engineers who worked there for many years.
    A lot of the questions they asked were already on glassdoor.
    Overall was quite decent, would recommend to know your CV inside out.
    Questions they asked can be found below.
    They said that they would get back to me by the end of the week.

Interview Questions

• --HR questions--
      1) What do you know about Factset?
      2) Why did you apply to Factset?
      3) What kind of work does Factset do?
      4) What did i enjoy at uni that i would maybe do later on?
      5) What exposure i have had to SQL
      6) Difference between SQLite and SQL (They asked this because i mentioned both on my CV)
      7) Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?
      8) Do you see yourself in a managerial position?

--Comp Sci questions--
      1) Difference between pass by reference and pass by value.
                      - which is better, when would you use one over the other
      2) Difference between recursive vs iterative
                      - again which is better, when you would use one over the other
      3) What is the maximum number you can represent in an integer.
      4) JUnit Testing
                      - Given a function that when passed an integer array, returns the mode, how would you
                         test its functionality
      5) What do you know about object oriented concepts
                      - Difference between class and object
                      - Inheritance
                      - Polymorphism (Overloading and overriding)
                      - Encapsularion
                      - Abstraction
      --Data structure questions--
      1) What data structures are you familiar with (arrays are still a data structure, everyone tends to forget that one)
      2) LinkedList vs Array
                      - Performance & Complexity in its operations (Insert, Delete, Search)
      --Other questions--
      1) Questions about projects you've worked on
                      - Most complex
                      - Why was it complex
                      - How did you go about it
                      - What did you do
                      - What was most difficult
                      - What would you do differently   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FactSet (London, England) in August 2017.

Interview

First, I got telephone interview with 3 engineers. They were kind and helpful. I was asked OO features, data structures questions and project that you had. Now waiting for the second round...

Interview Questions

• OO features: polymorhism, encapsulation. inheritance and abstraction   1 Answer

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FactSet.

Interview

Had a phone interview with 3 members of staff, The main interviewer was very nice and accommodating, I did not feel rushed or pressured at all. Other 2 only asked technical questions.

I was invited for an in-person interview

Interview Questions

• Firstly standard HR questions, what do you know about fastest, why do you want to work here, ect... Then some very easy Computer Science trivia questions.

1. pass by reference vs pass by value (why would you use either)
      2.How do you know the maximum size of an integer
      3.explain the difference between iterative and recursive algorithms
      4.explain the main concepts of OOP (then expand on each of those)
      5.How would you test a sorting algorithm
      6.Explain the difference between an Array and LinkedList and in what situation would you use either   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FactSet in August 2017.

Interview

I applied for a grad job at Factset and was invited for a 1 hr interview. The interview was very technical, they started off with a background knowledge of FactSet then moved onto by project history. I was meant to give an explanation of a project I worked on and why it was difficult. The other questions were on object-oriented programming and data structures

Interview Questions

• Explain the concepts of object oriented programming and their importance   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.