XLN Reviews

Found 155 of over 214 reviews

3.1
XLN CEO Neil Conaghan
Neil Conaghan
Pros
  • "Monthly drinks and free breakfast once a week(in 26 reviews)

• "As a department manager now myself, I know for a fact that through hard work and a good attitude you can get places in this company(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "If you want to keep your job then jump through hoops and avoid eye contact with senior members of staff(in 8 reviews)

• "Team Leaders and Managers on the floor basically do nothing except walk around the desks and say "SELL SELL SELL(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years
      Featured Review

Good Company

13 Oct 2020 - Head of Department in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company to work for if you have a good attitude.

Cons

Nothing particular comes to mind.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good place to work

19 May 2021 - Recruitment Consultant in City of Westminster, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good, It was a fun job.

Cons

nothing, i just got made redundant.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Id rather stick foot in a blender and eat a foot smoothie for lunch than go back to XLN

18 May 2021 - Business Support Assistant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Honestly the people. I managed to meet some amazing people (who have now all left!) and we are still friends

Cons

A normal day in my job at XLN would start with the management screaming at you to get at least 25 card machines working when yesterday the sales team only managed to sell 5. Where they expected us to pluck the other 20 from I don't know (And I have a very good imagination.) We would then work very hard to get 5 or sometimes even magically get up to 7 from last min deals etc. To then have the manager throw their phone across the office, in a tantrum. Managers were also seen to stomp feet, bash computer mouse against their table and order very expensive perfume/jewellery to the office just to go around and show everybody what they bought. I feel I should also mention that on several occasions managers where heard telling members off staff that ''they did not understand'' (that 20 card machines had to be 'made live') because English was not their first language, and they should be ''grateful this country accepted you''. Along with this came promises of raises which never did and bogus insentives e.g. ''Sell 5 items and you get to go home early'' (this e-mail would be sent at about 5:30pm). We would also be made to feel guilty if we left on time and did not come in early. Safe to say that my brief 6 month stint at XLN has given me and my therapist A LOT to get through.

6 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Would not recommend

15 Apr 2021 - Account Manager in Sheffield, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Staff are really friendly and helpful

Cons

Started as a customer service job with bonus if you wanted to pitch on calls and got sales. This changed massively and it was all about sales. Expected to pitch on every single call and if not you were marked down on quality and this could affect commission. Commission used to be reasonable and helped offset the really low base wage (minimum wage for your age for 40 hours a week). This was changed and high targets were set up instead. There was no training to help staff if they did not have sales experience. If you did not achieve these sales you were threatened with a progress plan and record of conversations leaving staff worried for their job security Commission is not done in an accurate way and sales were frequently missed off if you did not keep track yourself. The work atmosphere used to be positive and happy but this has changed drastically. You are made to feel bad if you leave on time and Expected to come to meetings before work with no pay or time back. If you got stuck on a call and went passed finishing time you were very lucky to get it as time back. There is nothing in place to protect staff from abusive customers. I have seen staff crying at there desks due to the verbal threats from customers and even some who have experienced sexual harassment on calls and you still cannot give a warning or even end the call. There is no support from management even when you ask for it, they are expected to take calls whenever possible. This leaves a lot of staff stuck on difficult calls and no one senior to ask.

4 people found this review helpful

XLN Response

HR

Hi there, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us detailed feedback - it's so important in helping us to create the best working environment we can. I'm really sorry to hear that your experience with us worsened over time. As a fast-paced, sales-driven organisation, working at XLN can be challenging. However, we pride ourselves on providing exceptional training and management support - so it's always a concern when any employee feels under-equipped to deal with the challenges of the job. I must also note that your point about not having anything in place to support staff dealing with abusive customers isn't true. We do have systems in place, shaped over many years, that we try to constantly monitor and improve. These are built precisely to protect staff - and it's regrettable that you didn't benefit from these. In light of that, it would be really helpful if you were willing to have a confidential discussion with me, just to get a clearer understanding of your experiences. You can email me at shamilla.zahid@xlntelecom.co.uk if that sounds OK, and I'll arrange a call. Otherwise, I wish you all the very best for the future. Shamilla

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Do not apply

24 Mar 2021 - Broadband Support Advisor in Sheffield, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leaving was the only pro

Cons

Hours, Management, Work-Life Balance, Training ... basically everything

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work and progress

25 Mar 2021 - Provisioning Manager in Sheffield, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been at xln for over 3 and half years, as provisioning performance advisor the Sheffield office. Since joining XLN I have had opportunities to progress within the company and develop my skills, more recently I have moved in to a team leader role. If you have the hunger to develop and progress the opportunities are there. The management who have helped me progress have been fantastic and helped me along the way. If you show you want to learn and progress and have the motivation to work hard. XLN is the place to be. Over the recent Covid pandemic XLN have made sure staff are safe to come in the office and made sure the supports is there for anyone wanting to work from home whilst at the same time helping thousands of businesses

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company for Work For

12 Jan 2021 - Software Engineer in Sheffield, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The job itself is great if you wish to progress, and excel in your career. No question is considered stupid and there's a real sense of care from the management, and seniors within the department. The junior members of the team are looked after, and are led to flourish. There's a key focus on promoting within which is a good driving factor, and is a great place for someone fresh out of University to learn new skills, and help grow as an individual. The technology stack used is quite wide spread, so there's something for everyone, and is great for people that like to get their hands dirty with different technologies. Each member of the department has the ability to put forward technology decisions, so anyone can suggest improvements or new features and these are always taken into consideration, so it’s a good place for individuals who like to implement new technologies. Prior to National Lock-down , the business had a good focus on social events, like department outings, and end-of month gatherings which is a great time to meet others from around the business that you usually wouldn't meet.

Cons

Can sometimes be stressful, but this would be no different with other jobs of a similar nature.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

XLN's a great place to work

25 Jan 2021 - Outbound Sales Agent in Sheffield, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a person whose come from customer service you think you’ve seen it all, but at XLN you don’t realise how much and how well you can be valued. In my role as an outbound sales advisor I didn’t realise how rewarding the role was, within my first month I earned £50 sales commission on my first day, which at a glance doesn’t seem like much but in the month after I earned £250 on top of my wage. At XLN, hard work is recognised, I’ve recently been promoted from agent to team leader after 4 months with the business, this makes me more than ever wish to succeed and to have those that follow me also look to me for inspiration and to aspire how to earn the sums of money that are now available to me. At XLN I see possibilities that have not been available to me within other roles and I cannot thank them enough. If you’re reading this Give XLN a go, it’s hard work but extremely rewarding.

Cons

none come to mind it's great place to work

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Poor

11 Jun 2021 - Broadband Specialist in Sheffield, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

the only redeeming factor is some of the others that worked there

Cons

constantly move the goal posts after 1 year your wage goes up but nothing after that

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Compacy to work for

6 May 2021 - Project Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great management support Growth within the company Diverse & dynamic workforce Loved the working environment

Cons

No cons, enjoyed working there

Viewing 1 - 10 of 155 Reviews