XLN Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

XLN CEO and Founder Christian Nellemann
Christian Nellemann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some senior members of staff play games on tablets all day and laugh about it infront of struggling colleauges (in 7 reviews)

• Senior management are incredibly detached from their customer base (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A long, happy career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England

I have been working at XLN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I’ve worked a number of different roles at XLN now, in both offices, and I love it. I’d recommend it to anyone!

Cons

Things move fast here so it’s a challenge to keep up. But it’s the nature of the industry and being in a fast growing company.

Advice to Management

Keeping on top of 1-2-1's might help relieve some pressure from staff and keep everyone up to date on what's going on.

2. "Recognition for hard work & Progression Opportunities"

I worked at XLN full-time

Pros

Managers recognised hard work; chance to progress within organisation; offer training to staff; if you take initiative then all levels of management are willing and happy to listen to reward good work.

Cons

Manager reluctant to pull up confrontational team members for slacking (sleeping at desk, playing games etc). Unfortunate as was a great team on the whole.

XLN Response

28 Sep 2017 – HR Manager

Hi there,

Thanks for your review.

We’re delighted to hear about your positive experience with progression in the business. Recognising hard work and talent – and rewarding it – is something... More

3. ""Avoid unless you are desperate""

Former Employee - Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at XLN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hmm...free coffee? Nice office and some excellent hard working employees who are under appreciated...

Cons

Terrible atmosphere. Staff are bullied & harassed in front of others. Management want to do everything on a shoestring. Workload is unmanageable. Owners want to jack up the numbers while spending as little on improving the company, probably want to sell it soon.
    Managers and senior manager don't think on their own but rather do what management team dictate. If you're seeking for manager role and likes to follow orders then this is for you.
    Useless Sales leaders and managers!! (Watch out if you're applying for Sales role)

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage. Stop thinking you own staff!!!
    Stop thinking about the CEO and do proper work and think on ones own intuition.

XLN Response

28 Sep 2017 – HR Manager

Hi there,

I’m really sorry to hear about the issues you’ve experienced.

We pride ourselves on our high-performance culture, but also on the collaborative atmosphere we’ve tried to create. We... More

5. "XLN -T WAY TO DIE"

Current Employee - Field Sales Advisor in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Field Sales Advisor in Birmingham, England

I have been working at XLN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pro's about this company.

Cons

Group of narcissistic self centred idiots. Managers track every movement and speak with utter disrespect to the people who actually make a difference within the company. CEO is a rude individual with only money on his mind.

Advice to Management

Actually speak to people like they're human beings instead of your property. Training period should be longer and also terms and conditions should be spoken about and discussed as tracking was not spoken about in initial training. Appalled that it is even legal to track people.

6. "Not secure"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Edinburgh, Scotland

Pros

Decent structure, they offer a decent service and at a decent price for the customer, usually cheaper than bt. Nice office in London

Cons

Not a secure job at all. The turnover of staff is tremendous. Get a sale a day or you are out!

Advice to Management

Invest more time in people. It's cheaper than constantly hiring and firing

7. "Handwork but rewarding"

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at XLN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a fast paced environment which I enjoy, there is the thrill of the chase to get the sales on the board and there are a core of great sales guys that I can learn from and are willing to support and help.

Cons

It is fast paced and that doesn't suit everyone

Advice to Management

Keep going

8. "Full chaos"

Former Employee - Verification Specialist in London, England
    Former Employee - Verification Specialist in London, England

I worked at XLN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free fruits on Monday and free breakfast on Friday.

Cons

low pay , not secure job

Advice to Management

Management staff do whatever they like.

9. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Software Development Team Lead in Sheffield, England
    Former Employee - Software Development Team Lead in Sheffield, England

I worked at XLN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with XLN for a year. Due to family reason I did relocate otherwise I wouldn't left the job. Great place to work, straight forward management structure. No need to wait for many days to get anything approved/rejected. There is always a potential to keep on improving your skills. Management listens to you and try to implement your ideas.

Cons

You're expected to be in office unless unavoidable circumstances.

Advice to Management

Need to assess priorities on regular basis and assign the work to teams.

10. "Challenging management style"

Former Employee - Sales Operations Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Manager in London, England

I worked at XLN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are few places I've enjoyed working more than XLN. They had a great culture at agent level and middle management. All working hard towards making the company prospersous in times where the market was challenging.

Targets were always the higher end of the spectrum, this reflected the high rewards if you hit them. Targets only applied to sales and customer service teams. Managers and agents stuff in Operations struggled to get recognition from the business and were not rewarded for doing more work than the sales and customer services teams with longer hours.

Cons

Working day in my role was long, normally a 11 to 12 hour day in the office, with a 2 hour commute each way. No bonus or targets set up to reflect the channels performance, even though my role was to oversee day to day operations and sort out deals for agents based outside of the office. My team was changed without consultations, and this led to responsibilities being moved to the Sheffield office, which created a communication issue (ironic for a communication company), and that candidates and instructions would be missed.

Internal departments providing same service to off shore partners paid more and did less work than me and my team, which created issues amongst the teams as there was no discipline from senior management to clamp down on claims of pay & bonuses.

Advice to Management

Listen to middle managements ideas, this could help make the most of the small talent pool you have after high turnover, especially when churning through senior level managers.

Make sure that managers doing the same jobs, yet different channels are paid equally or rewarded equally.

Grow a spine and challenge or attempt to enforce change if you believe things are a good for the business. Don't allow people to dictate what goes on when you are the manager/director of the department.

11. "Genuine opportunities"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Louth, England
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Louth, England

I have been working at XLN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great money - having a basic salary plus a competitive commission structure is very appealing after many years of commission only sales jobs. It provides a safety and security net and makes you feel the company really wants to invest in you. Great incentives from cash, holidays and day trips are all up from grabs on a month by month basis. I won a trip to Spain after my first month with XLN. There are great promotion prospects too. Most start as an FSA (Field Sales Advisor or Trainee Field Sales Advisor) and can work up the ranks to BDE (Business Development Executive) , Team Leader, Area Manager, Senior Area Manager and Regional Manager and beyond. Currently an Area Manager I have aspirations to become Regional very quickly so I can focus more on overall team management, training and developing members to help them achieve the level I sit at as an Area Manager with their own team to manage and their own on target sales plan. I have been with the company 3 months, June is my 4th month. Progression can be swift if you want it....but you have to want it.

Cons

Managing staff in line with your own expectations can be a very difficult task. It takes someone special to manage a results driven sales team. You have to be understanding yet ruthless in some cases. You have to establish who is showing potential in your team and who is letting the side down. You have to imagine it's your own business and if it was, how long do you allow those who are not pulling their weight to remain and turn it around. You also have to identify success and work with those who have the drive not only to succeed but are actually succeeding in their results. Get this right and it shows your ability to manage successfully. Ultimately what you put in is what you get out. I have learnt don't be fooled by those who say they have fire in their hearts but then cannot do the job. Nothing less than success is required here. If you or your team have a bad couple of days, can you turn it around? Those who can tend to get noticed, I've come to realise that. Those who can't....well you know where there door is. Good luck and have a nice life working at Tescos whilst the rest of us earn the big money and improve our lifestyles.

Work life balance can be great or crap. You do whatever it takes to get the job done. Occasionally you need to work until 7.30pm. If you are doing this each day just to hit 1 or 2 you need to rethink your position. It's not healthy and you will wear yourself out quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep building. Recruitment advertising is not just key in big towns and cities, it needs to be stretched to the job boards in the smaller towns and rural areas. A lot of our business is coming from untapped potential in small towns and villages lately so we should be looking in more areas like this for gems to join our team as well.

Keep the incentives. It's a great thing to aim for. Money is always a key driver but I think sales people relish the idea of winning a weekend away in Spain with the other top players. It's these events which bond the team together and inspire others who want a share of the pie.

Keep growing the team, get your RSMs in place sooner rather than later. Get them interviewing and offering positions for people in their Area Manager teams below them. Leave them with the hiring and firing on thd advice of their ASMs, allowing the ASM to focus on developing their own agents. Good cop bad cop scenario always works well in direct sales.