Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

1,596 Interview Reviews

3.7

Sort:

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2015.

Interview

two rounds of interviews, both in the office. First round was 2 1:1 interviews with consultants. The first 15 minutes is conversational/behavioral- I think they just want to know how you contribute in a work setting and what types of work environments make you successful. Next 30 minutes are cases. 2nd round was same format, but with Partners. First round was challenging, but okay if you've practiced case interviews. Second round was much more challenging- the behavioral component is more high level and there an idea that you need to stand out instead of simply checking boxes. I also got the sense they like to pressure test and ask a lot of follow up questions during the case to challenge you. Be ready to think quickly and respond eloquently. Everyone I interviewed with was unique, engaging, and made me feel as comfortable as possible in an interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you define an effective leader/how to you embody those characteristics   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied through the Boston Career fair. The entire process was more laid back, relative to other management consulting firm interviews. A greater emphasis on engaging with you as a person to check "fit," beyond the traditional case interview. Tough to get an interview. Requires a internet-based test. I got mine through a walk-in resume drop at the career fair. Two rounds at the fair followed by a 3-day internship, followed by 2-3 partner interviews.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the revenue the recruiting company makes from hosting this career fair.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Applied through the company's website, received an email setting up an interview in their office in my city. Before the interview began, I was placed in a waiting room with other interviewees and a few associates and consultants. The interview was fairly standard, starting off with a few behavioral questions and then going right into a case, and with time to ask the interviewer questions afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you faced a challenge while working in a team environment.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY (US)) in July 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online as an off-cycle Associate hire (yes, it can happen!) at the end of April and received an email in mid-May notifying me first rounds would be in July. I had a total of two rounds - first rounds and final rounds in the New York City Office.

First rounds - very much a super day with at least 8 fellow interviewees in office. Interviewed with two project managers...both cases were pharma related/outsourcing cases. The first case had little contextual information upfront and the question asked was quite vague. I was asked, verbatim: "Client is a pharma client in [insert specific part of the world]. What should we do with the company?" Once you ask for information, you do get some exhibits to analyze and interpret. Second interview, in contrast, was loaded with background information and the question was a little more specific, something along the lines of: "What country should we outsource to and what criteria should be used in assessing the decision?" Also received some exhibits to interpret/analyze. I was told that I nailed both cases, performed excellently, had good confidence/professionalism, etc. and was passed to final rounds. Interviewed on Friday, received final round invitation on Wednesday.

Note here: they had just hired a new recruiting team and the firm was in the process of moving so the communication with the recruiting team was a bit slow/disorganized..

Final rounds - only saw one or two other interviewees in office. Interviewed with a project manager and a principal. The case with the principal was also pharma/outsourcing related - probably a reflection of the BCG pipeline... The case question was balanced as far as background/question goes: "Where should we outsource and what products should be outsourced?" Exhibits in this case as well. The fit/PEI was about 5 minutes still. In feedback, I was told my structuring of this case was excellent, but the recommendation/summary could have been a little more succinct, and I could have done a better job of summarizing the risks associated with my recommendation. My second interview with the principal I feel is the one that dinged me, especially from a fit perspective. The case question was relatively average in difficult. This time, it was finance related and I was asked to answer VERY specific questions: 1) size the market, 2) identify the problem 3) propose a recommendation. Was given exhibits after relaying my structure. I started off with my framework to identify the problem, which came across as very formulaic - the interview wanted me to size the market first. Word of advice: make sure you answer the questions as they are presented, and if not, indicate you want to start with answering one portion first. I did size the market quite well and structure the analysis correctly, but was told my math was not as fast as they would have liked and that my communication style for the fit/PEI was too narrative/not succinct enough though they reiterated I had very good stories and experiences. As you can probably tell :) In the end though, I personally feel I did not connect as much with the Principal, and that ultimately influenced the decision.

Interviewed on Friday afternoon, did not hear back Friday so predicted it was a ding. Both interviewers in my final rounds were very accommodating and took the the time to walk me through my final round feedback via telephone and repeatedly relayed it was a pleasure meeting me. At the end of the day, I'm guessing there was just a better candidate quantitatively with a better fit out there, but I do think they missed out on a great candidate :

Interview Questions

• Q1: What should we do with this company?
      Q2: What country should we outsource to and what is the criteria needed in the decision?
      Q3: Should we outsource? If so, what products?
      Q4: Size the market, identify the problem, propose a recommendation   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

There are two case-style interviews and each takes around 45 minutes. I was interviewed by two interviewer. The interview is specifically for all international offices, including offices in Asia and Europe. For each office, four groups of people were interviewed and each group has around 4 interviewees. The questions are not exactly like what we prepared before, and they are more practical and open-minded without much mathematics calculation.

Interview Questions

• 1. How should uber enter the Chinese market ? 2. A big company owning several investment banks is thinking about entering into insurance field. Should they enter the new field and how.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Dallas, TX (US)) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was relaxed but methodical. Standard fair of personality/fit evaluations followed by cases. The interviewers were very personable and drove conversation fairly naturally. The overall process lasted about 2 hours with a short break in between.

Interview Questions

• Cases often included concrete data in the forms of tables or charts. Cases were not particularly difficult. The questions on fit seemed genuine and focused a lot on teamwork.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, then in-person interview with two Associates (2 1:1 sessions). Keep very careful and clean notes/diagrams/trees during the interview. They collect these at the end and no doubt are part of the evaluation process. If your notes are disorganized, then so, by extension, are you.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Stanford, CA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process lasted around a month.
    BCG showed up to campus during recruiting season and gave all the relevant information on the process.
    After submitting application online, had first round interviews on campus
    2 case-based interviews
    (time allocation 50% case, 50% fit and general questions)

Second round was at the office I wanted to work in.
    3 case-based interviews (1 of which was brain teasers/ market sizing)
    1 fit interview with head of recruiting
    1 online case with multiple choices answers and limited time on

Interview Questions

• Why BCG?
      Why this Office rather than another?
      Any questions for us?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

Two 45 minute interviews with a fit component (about 10 minutes) and a case component (30-35 minutes). Fit component was a dialogue about your background, leadership experiences and the typical "why consulting" and "why BCG" questions. Cases were fairly straight forward and predominantly candidate led with times when the interviewer would probe your logic and reasoning.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you failed and what you did in response.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with two consultants, both were mostly cases with a short time for fit questions. The interviewers were friendly and professional. During the time in between interviews I and other candidates were able to chat with other consultants and recruiters about BCG in a more informal way.

Interview Questions

• Asked to elaborate on items on resume.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.