Biogen Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.4
Biogen CEO Michel Vounatsos
Michel Vounatsos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance was very good" (in 89 reviews)

• "Great people- great benefits, lot of perks" (in 111 reviews)

Cons
  • "stressful to try to work/life balance" (in 44 reviews)

• "Upper management has agenda that does not respect employees" (in 30 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Clinical in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Clinical in Maidenhead, England

I worked at Biogen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and package is highly competitive; Great science; Great people; flexible working; lovely offices.

Cons

Culture was the best thing about Biogen when I started; sadly declining rapidly as hiring more detached management style at the top. Pipeline constraints - but they have been there before and no doubt will find a way to recover.

Advice to Management

Keep focus on the task to grow without falling into the pitfalls of "big pharma" - ensure employees feel valued.

2. "Employment"

I have been working at Biogen full-time

Pros

Staff are very friendly

Cons

Hard to progress within the role

3. "All"

Current Employee - Security Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Security Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Biogen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice place, good environment, nice parking space

Cons

not well organized, the team are just coming and not sure of next stage

Advice to Management

be opened to change

"It’s all about shareholder value now - sadly"

I worked at Biogen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at Biogen for over 10 years - was a great place to work and you really felt we were making a difference to patients lives - managers listened and we felt empowered - culture was very good

Cons

Leadership has become weak, bullies prevail, HR are puppets and fawn to their MD
    Dissenting voices are silenced, SOPs are pretty much all the training you get - no structure to proper development

Advice to Management

Culture comes from top down so that’s where change needs to start
    Time to run a survey that is non biased and not run by HR

5. "Biogen"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

exciting pipeline, flexible work, benefits

Cons

Poor project management, work-life balance

"changes to come"

Current Employee - Senior Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Director in London, England

I have been working at Biogen full-time

Pros

pool of extremly well educated medics

Cons

turnover is the highest I have ever seen in industry due to managment expecting execution rather than contribution

Advice to Management

cure the root cause in SABR

"Good people to work for"

Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Ludlow, England
    Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Ludlow, England

Pros

Good people management, happy workforce

Cons

Not enough done to change the work sectors so work dried up.

Advice to Management

Look more into diversifying into other sectors.

"Biogen"

Pros

Good pay and benefits. A lot of training.

Cons

Lots of cost cutting and re-org with no clear direction from management

"Biogen UK: Excellent benefits/perks; childish, disappointing people management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England

Pros

Biogen is a nice company in general, with excellent benefits and perks.
    Premises are nice, clean, the restaurant is very good, we have free coffee and fresh fruit.
    The company pipeline is interesting and working with horribly disabling diseases is motivating as you can feel you help people with your work.
    Flexibility is really good: working from home is allowed, flexible hours are encouraged.
    The above is usually what keeps people in the company despite the Cons.

Cons

People management is the real Con in Biogen.
    In some departments (I can't speak for all of them, clearly), professionals are attracted with promising talks about learning and development, but then there is no real training and no real development. There are SOPs to read, there are some soft skills courses, but there is no coaching whatsoever: you are thrown into your job with no support, and you are expected to perform brilliantly in no time. You might be assigned a reference person, but there is no coaching culture at all; they will not help and might be annoyed instead, because you represent "additional workload".
    Nothing can be done about it: flagging the issue will only put you under a negative light. HR is totally useless (other than being physically absent: it's all managed via a web portal). Leadership does not really listen, despite claiming the opposite. Decision-making processes are secretive and employees are put in front of final changes about their job and career with no consultation.
    Promotions do not go necessarily to people deserving them; there is in fact a nasty inclination to promote people who trump on colleagues but smile and wink to the leadership team.
    Recruitment is painful: it takes ages to hire new people (and in the meantime we work like dogs to cover), they are not necessarily qualified, they are promised career development but often end up doing leg job. The best job postings are only opened in the US despite the company claiming it is a global environment.
    The opinions I am sharing are not only mine; these topics are commonly discussed amongst colleagues.

Advice to Management

Take people management courses. You need to treat people respectfully.
    Never forget their expertise: read CVs and treat grown-ups like grown-ups.
    Ask people their opinion before making organisational changes and moving them from one role to the other, from one program to the other, abruptly, without any notice.
    Stop hiring under-qualified people with the idea that expertise in other fields will cover for that, simply because you are not able to attract proper candidates. Do you think a professional feels valued when you hire somebody with no specific expertise at a higher level?
    Stop gilding the lily when interviewing: professionals want to apply, interview and obtain the same job, not 3 different things...and then you wonder why you lose them?
    And finally, stop claiming how great we are with the hiring performance: have you considered that if you have had to cover so many positions, it's because people are fleeing? Just stop ignoring this issue.
    You might notice I am not declaring what department I work in, or how long my employment has been. That's because based on what I have heard and seen, I don't want to risk being identified. That might tell you something.

"A good place to work, but you will work hard"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Biogen (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company has some very good products built on real scientific innovation. The benefits are excellent and the working environment is very good. The company has grown rapidly in recent years and a lot of very good people have joined.

Cons

The excellent benefits and working environment help to distract from the fact that people are expected to work hard. The fact that the company has grown rapidly in recent years means not every process and programme is as clear and well thought through as you might find in big pharma.