Thomson Reuters Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Thomson Reuters Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Thomson Reuters

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Carrollton, TX (US)).

Interview

Two Interviews Total. One in person with the hiring manager and the team. The second interview was with the VP of the division. The team interview was more technical and the VP interview was more of a personality fit and normal strength/weaknesses type of interview. Process moved slowly because VP had just been promoted and was still in the process of moving.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about Thomson Reuters and what is your impression of us. Can you explain to me what Thomson Reuters does?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, offer was exactly what I wanted.

Other Interview Reviews for Thomson Reuters

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview

The interview process was quite straightforward. First I met with a recruiter at a engineering career fair, then there was a phone interview, then an on-site interview.
    More words are required for me to submit this.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were pretty straightforward. What is recursion/tail recursion, what is a pointer, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

joint campus hiring it was. 1st round was an aptitude test which was really tough followed by technical interview, which was moderate and finally hr interview which was easy and HRs were friendly.

Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Eagan, MN (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

(Note: I was previously an intern at this company) After submitting my resume online I was contacted by someone in HR and offered to attended a company meet-and-greet program, which i declined because I was unable to make the time to go there. I was subject to an in person meeting (note: for hiring full time I believe this is a requirement; no phone interview). After arriving on campus, I was given an interview from two people who asked me a variety of questions, including:
    -Had I used injection-style testing
    -What is TDD
    -Had I worked on a team before
    -What is data normalization
    -What is a Linked List/how is it useful
    The remainder of the questions were about previous experience/accomplishments as well as things I had put on my resume such as classes, previous experiences, coding styles, etc. (Note: They WILL ask you about stuff on your resume--make sure you know what you're talking about).

As a point of advice I took long periods to discuss projects I had worked on, ex: "I made a large project by myself / I created this interesting algorithm / I realized that I did x,y,z wrong, and I learned a,b,c..." This demonstrates a variety of skills and can shift the interview away from just being a test (e.g. What is data normalization)

Afterwards I was treated to some lunch and four representatives from hiring teams told me about their operations, in which I could ask questions. Then I was shown around the campus and dropped off at the doors. In full it took me about 3 hours total. By the time I had driven home (~4 hours) I had received a call saying they were interested in hiring me.

Negotiation

They offered me 63k starting, I tried to negotiate it (perhaps poorly) and the offer remained 63k. The HR rep. I was talking through was accepting of the idea of negotiating. I had assumed it would be bartered, so I asked for higher than what I really wanted (68k, was going for 65k). Combined with poor negotiation, my work inexperience, and it being after a period of layoffs, the offer remained at 63k. Future interviewers should try not bartering and just say their desired starting price.

Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Eagan, MN (US)).

Interview

Went through two rounds of interviews. First round was on my college campus. Questions covered basic Computer Science knowledge and then a small code challenge. After several weeks I received an invitation to visit the Eagan, MN campus for a tour and a second interview. The second round of interview were conducted by Senior / Lead Software Engineers from the campus. The questions were more about my technical background and the coursework I had studied in college. Overall not extremely challenging if you payed attention during your coursework.

Interview Questions

• What is your preferred / favorite programming language and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Took many weeks to receive the initial offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Eagan, MN (US)).

Interview

1 phone interview followed by a campus tour/1-1 interview. Thought it went really well but then didn't hear back for a month after the campus tour. Beyond that, the experience was pretty positive.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to determine if a string is a palindrome.   2 Answers

2 Jun 2015 – Human Resource Partner

Thank you for your time and review of your interview experience. Please keep Thomson Reuters in mind for future roles that may align with your career.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview

Aplied Online. Lot of time to get back to you. Initial phone screen was done month after online application was submitted. They were looking for a candidate with more years of experience.

Interview Questions

Thomson Reuters Response

5 May 2015 – Human Resource Partner

Thank you for your time, participation and review of the interview process. Please keep Thomson Reuters in mind for future roles that may align with your career.

Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters (Eagan, MN (US)) in April 2012.

Interview

They have come to my college, screened a few resumes and asked the selected candidates to come for an onsite interview. This lasted for a whole day. You will have one or two rounds of technical interviews, and then HR will contact you with the result.

Interview Questions

• Questions about basic .NET and Javascript. Debugging techniques on client and server side. Questions on unit testing, databases.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview

I applied online and was given a phone interview, which was easy. They primarily talked about the company and its internship program for half of the phone interview. The technical part is basically a bunch of definitions and an easy logic question.

The on site interview was very relaxed. They asked about my experience and previous projects. There was also a technical question which you weren't expected to completely finish.

The interviewers were nice and made me feel comfortable. The whole process took about 1 month.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between an interface and an abstract class?   1 Answer

23 Apr 2015 – Human Resource Partner

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview

The interview was very friendly and laid back. I first had a phone interview and then an onsite. Toured the facility, met the team, and had three sets of interviews. The interview lasted about 3-4 hours total. They took around 3-4 weeks to reply and had plenty of time to decide.

Interview Questions

• Find an element in a sorted array in log(n)   1 Answer

30 Mar 2015 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your interest and participation in the interview process with Thomson Reuters along with your review.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.