Expedia Group Software Development Engineer II Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Jul 10, 2019

0.0
Expedia Group CEO Mark Okerstrom
Mark Okerstrom
  1. "one of the best company to work for in NCR (Delhi)"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in Gurgaon, Haryana

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work for, great work life balance, great food, great benefits. very good working environment

Cons

None which i can think of

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

Expedia Group2019-07-10

"Varies from team to team"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free coffee, carrots, eggs, and soda

Cons

Very high pressure in some areas, management constantly shouting at engineers about everything in those instances. Newer developers with life ahead of them leaving left and right.

Expedia Group2019-03-06

"Software Development Engineer 2"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance. Challenging and innovative work. Always keen to adopt new technology.

Cons

Salary is not up to the market standard. Growth is really slow. Promotion is not given based on performance and effort. Even gold star awarded employees are not promoted for 4 years with continuous effort.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your high performing employees.

Expedia Group2017-12-27

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test II in Gurgaon, Haryana

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best Place to work for anyone

Cons

Nothing I can think of

Expedia Group2017-10-07
  5. "SDE 2"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good, Work life balance , LEarnings

Cons

Low compensation Low growth Politics

Expedia Group2017-09-28

"lumbering legacy e-commerce website trying to reinvent itself as a trendy startup"

Former Contractor - Software Development Engineer II in Montreal, QC

I worked at Expedia Group for less than a year

Pros

A fairly selective recruitment process means that most of your colleagues will be competent and cooperative/obedient. Deep pockets mean that you can easily get a license for your favorite IDE's and other tools, a nice laptop, and access to talented/experienced technical people based in Expedia's various global development centers all over the world. Massive scale means that you'll get hands-on experience building... massively scalable systems.

Cons

Working at Expedia was an object lesson in the creepy weirdness of late-stage (terminal-stage?) American corporate-capitalist bureaucracy. They use a lot of nice words like "transparency" and "thinking outside the box" and "work/life balance", where what they really mean is "paranoid secrecy", "don't question the directives handed down by your Director / VP", and "unpaid overtime". To be fair, that last one has... become pretty much an industry standard, but it's harder to justify when the work is dull and often feels completely meaningless.

Advice to Management

Fix the perverse incentive structure at the upper management / executive layers, so as to encourage the leaders of the various silos to actually contribute to the organization as a whole, not just compete for "visibility" within the company.

Expedia Group2017-04-16
  7. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Opportunities to use latest technologies - Great company culture - No corporate shenanigans

Cons

- Employee perks are not impressive - Lack of travel opportunities

Expedia Group2017-02-18
  8. "SDE II"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Gurgaon, Haryana

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Open culture. Good work life balance. Lots of room to grow. Professional environment. Management doesn't hesitate to provide facilities to employer.

Cons

None so far. Just like everywhere better relationships better perks.

Expedia Group2017-02-09

"Dysfunctional. Ready to leave 2 weeks after starting"

Current Contractor - Software Development Engineer II in Bellevue, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Expedia Group for less than a year

Pros

Relatively up to date technologies used. Free sodas. Bellevue office has a nice view. Comfortable chairs. Microwaves in the break room

Cons

Tribal atmosphere No training on the system 0 documentation on the system Must work with no requirements at all You will feel like an outsider and won't feel super welcome, especially if you are a contractor. The tribal atmosphere will treat you like some sort of interloper or invader. People aren't mean or anything, just not welcoming. Meanwhile you are supposed to know which tribe to battle with to get... stuff done. Knowing that before your start date is a must(good luck with that! ) I was given no training at all, and the person that I was supposed to shadow was out of the country for a month. Other "team mates" were also gone for weeks at a time. There were a number of days where I was the only one of my team actually in the office, not very good for getting trained. So I tried looking at documentation, only to find, well nothing. There was a FEW things here and there, but nothing very useful and mostly out of date. But of course it was my fault that I didn't have a complete understanding of the system after the first month. Well duh, the guy supposed to be "training" me left the country for a month 3 days after I started. Also, there are some serious SDLC issues. This is a shop that believes agile means having absolutely no requirements or documentation. Any documentation done is a total afterthought. There are no comments in code and code is totally not self documenting. In my code base, often classes have the same name, only differing in case. Requirements are in the form of a (incomplete) sentence. Literally of the form "Make X do Y".. That's it. You talk to 3 different team members get 3 different interpretations. Refactoring multiple times until every one on the team is happy, only to get smacked down from a different tribe. Refactoring again....would've been nice if someone told me about the other tribe so I could talk to them directly, but that's not the way it's done here. The work itself isn't difficult, there's just too much dysfunction for me to have any desire to stay. *update* yesterday there was a yelling match between one group and another...so yeah

Advice to Management

Reduce the siloed, tribal culture. Improve processes / learn the difference between agile and anarchy Actually train new employees / contractors

Expedia Group2016-09-23
  10. "Company to work for lifetime..."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

culture, work life, opportunities, travel benefits

Cons

Growth path and opportunities are different in different groups. Some groups offer better opportunities than others. Each group(business unit) works as an independent company with its own culture.

Advice to Management

Doing good. Keep it up!

Expedia Group2016-04-30