FDM Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
FDM Group CEO, Founder, and Director Rod Flavell
Rod Flavell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Gain valuable experience (when placed on site with blue chip companies) (in 66 reviews)

• Opportunity to work for blue chip companies (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Some* account managers have no regard or respect for the trainees and merely see them as objects on which to earn commission (in 113 reviews)

• The training provided by FDM is free but then you are bound by a 2 year contract to work as a consultant for FDM (in 38 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"FDM got me where I wanted to be"

Current Employee - Test Analyst in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Test Analyst in Manchester, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For a new graduate like myself I did not have a hope of getting a job in the IT sector without experience

FDM gave me that experience and, to be completely honest, I have loved my time with them. Heck, I've just signed up for year 3!

If you need a kickstart for your career then look no further

Cons

Having to be geographically flexible is a pita however I was beached (between contracts) for a couple of months after Xmas and whilst they still do expect that we be flexible they will endeavour to place you according to preference after a little time served.

Sick pay....oh wait no they now do pay sick pay :)

Advice to Management

Please have the account managers be a little more diligent with feedback post interview. I had 4 or 5 interviews prior to being placed the second time and not one gave me any feedback.

Also when placing staff in London please prioritise those living in London ahead of the rest of the country, it costs a lot to move to/live in London it's better that someone who is already there takes the role

Keep up the great work guys!

21 Jul 2017 – Commercial Director

Thank you for taking the time to post an honest and constructive review. I’m glad that you’re loving your experience with FDM and that you have signed up for a third year. We are always looking for... More

"Test Anlyst"

Current Employee - Test Analyst in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Test Analyst in Leeds, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good opportunities for career growth.

Cons

Prefer to be able to settle rather than contracting.

3 Apr 2018 – Commercial Director

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I’m glad you chose to remain with FDM for over five years and see the opportunity the business offers for career growth. If you would like to discuss... More

"Graduate Scheme"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in London, England
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in London, England

I worked at FDM Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Nice office location
    - good opportunity if you can't get anything else. Please bear in mind this should be your LAST RESORT! Try all other places before committing to 2 years of FDM slavery. Please disregard the 5 star reviews, they are written by FDM.

Cons

Too many to list on here, some of them are:
    - sub-standard training to begin with
    - the training is just an excuse to bill you £20,000 so you dont leave them for the next 2 years.
    - poor attitude to trainees throughout the company, as mentioned in other reviews
    - inadequate pay for London; FDM charge the client 3 times what you get paid in the first and second years
    - you are treated fairly on client's site, however communication with FDM is always a pain

"Truth and nothing but, I implore you to read if you are genuinely considering joining FDM"

Current Employee - Trainee
    Current Employee - Trainee

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For those without experience, who are willing and able to commit over 2 years to FDM, you will be exposed to good technical training in a variety of programming languages and practical training.

IF you are lucky, you may even get a good placement in a role you desire at a great firm which could be a great start to your career.

Trainers are genuine and very nice.

Trainees are like yourselves and you can make many friends like I did.

If you feel like you absolutely cannot find work elsewhere and can gamble just over 2 years of the start of your career, FDM could be a great potential start for you.

Cons

Let's establish something that FDM very hesitantly talks about... this is a gamble.

You have ZERO guarantee over a few major issues during your employment with FDM.

1- You may not get placed
    2- You can get placed with any firm (good or bad) and you have ZERO say in the matter
    3- You may not get a role you want and again have ZERO say in the matter
    4- You can be placed anywhere in the UK and have ZERO say in the matter

They are under ZERO obligation to place you anywhere you desire but they will however tell you that they will "try".
    Paraphrasing from an FDM employee, "Consultants cannot pick and choose where they want to go, our business model is demand and supply and thus you are obligated by contract, to go forward for ANY and ALL roles you are put forward for".
    To summarise, it is a complete gamble where you will be placed, (both firm AND location). Many friends of mine have been placed far from their homes forcing them to move to do roles they hate for up to 2 years. Essentially obliterating the career path they had in mind.

IF you decline, you WILL be charged £20,000 training fees (or potentially more if you had additional training, some consultants have been and are liable for £35k+ training fees due to the courses they took, these costs incurred over only 2 months).

One of the biggest faults of FDM, is that Account Managers (the people who place you), have no incentive to care about where you are placed. They don't need to worry about FDM consultants leaving, or being unhappy as if they leave, they are charged with an extortionate amount of money, £20,000 which for recent graduates like ourselves, is near impossible to pay off. Many consultants like myself, have seen this first hand. The account managers are nice up to the point you have been placed, then they act like they don't even know you, and if you question the role or try to get out of the role, you are sent to HR or management to have a "chat" about how you are obligated to go for the role.

The majority of account managers care about one thing only, their commission for getting you placed. The entire business model in my opinion is completely unethical. Why care about the trainee when you can put a £20k+ leash on them instead?

Training is 2+ months long and UNPAID... if you are paying rent, especially in London, I hope you have deep pockets...

Conclusion: FDM is a gamble, you could be placed somewhere great, or you could be placed somewhere terrible, or you might not be placed at all wasting a huge amount of time.

Account managers don't care about you and as a result, I would argue that from my experience, 50-60% of consultants end up in a desired placement.

Too many of my friends have been threatened by management with the £20k+ fee, this is completely unethical and unwarranted and is not done so by other professional companies who train employees and do not charge them with anything should they choose to leave.

Advice to Management

Treat the trainees with some respect, we are told that we are peers and colleagues in our first week but spoken down to and treated like products to be sold by account managers and other seniors of FDM.

Tell 'The Warden' to stop yelling at Trainees like they are children in the break room... we were told that we are 'Colleagues and peers', not 'Teacher and students', so please treat us with the same respect that is due to all others.

Consider us like human beings and that this is the start of our careers, we are more than just your commission...

"Solid business model, but"

Current Employee - MUREX Trainee in London, England
    Current Employee - MUREX Trainee in London, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training and access to some top tier clients.

Cons

*Some* account managers have no regard or respect for the trainees and merely see them as objects on which to earn commission. They constantly fail to be considerate to the fact they are dealing with another person, who has their own career hopes and ambitions.

Advice to Management

Restructure the communication chain to have an intermediary between account managers and trainees. The firm really needs someone who can help trainees deal with conflicts with account managers.

12 Apr 2018 – Commercial Director

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate and welcome all feedback and I’m sorry to hear about the issues you’ve experienced.

We do have a number of initiatives in place to... More

"Last chance saloon for graduates or retraining professionals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training course, great support for graduates and provides a platform to enhance your career prospects. Most importantly, they unapologetically inclusive and have a great moral compass as a company. Reflective of the management

Cons

Compensation package is much lower than the market and can make life difficult. Seems to have been addressed recently which is terrific news.

12 Apr 2018 – Commercial Director

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I’m glad you rate the training highly and recognise the career opportunities available. We are proud of our diversity, and it’s nice to hear you value... More

7. "It is what it is"

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

Gives you an opportunity to get in with good companies that you might not have had on your own.

Cons

The account managers don't see you as people, and from what I've seen don't take much interest in you after you've been placed.

"review"

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

offers a range of clients

Cons

salary is low and not reflective of industry standards

9. "Excellent business model"

Pros

Good access to some top companies. CEO & board are good.
    Various schemes (graduate, ex-forces, back to business)

Cons

Limited choice & 2 year tie-in (with substantial pay-back if you leave)
    Training not the best & not always relevant (but linked to 2-yr tie-in / buy-out clause)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing (the company & individuals have won lots of awards for their work) - check out their annual report too (impressive!)

10. "Business Analyst - Graduate Programme."

Pros

PROS

Provide Great Opportunities:
    FDM Group provides job opportunities in the IT Sector that would have been near impossible for me to get. They provide you with the foot in the door to some incredibly impressive companies such as RBS, RBC,HSBC and Standard Life to name a few.

Minimum of two years of Employment:
    Once you have made it through the Academy and passed all the necessary modules, you are given a minimum of two years to work as an FDM consultant.

Career Progression:
    Once you make it through the Academy, you are getting placed in high level companies with roles that have a lot of room for growth and career progression.

Top Level Training (which is free):
    Depending on the stream you choose, Business or Technical, will depend on the modules you complete while in the Academy. The training provided is to a very high level. My experience of going through the Business Analysis (BA) stream was amazing as I got to do external qualifications such as Prince2, and internal modules including excel, SQL and Financial Industry Awareness to name a few.

Cons

Geographic Flexibility:
    The Programme with FDM requires you to have geographic Flexibility within the U.K. This means that you don't have a massive choice as a graduate where you get placed. For me, in my mid twenties, this wasn't really an issue and therefore not a con in my personal experience.

Bound by a two year Contract:
    The training provided by FDM is free but then you are bound by a 2 year contract to work as a consultant for FDM. If you decide to no longer work as a consultant for FDM within that 2 year period, you are liable to pay the cost of the training fees which is estimated at around £20 000. In my personal experience, it means I have a job for the next two years and therefore I don't view it as a con.