FDM Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
FDM Group CEO, Founder, and Director Rod Flavell
Rod Flavell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Gain valuable experience (when placed on site with blue chip companies) (in 65 reviews)

• Opportunity to work for blue chip companies (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much care for consultants as the account managers have no interest in your doing well (in 106 reviews)

• 2 year contract you have to stick to (in 35 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"FDM got me where I wanted to be"

Current Employee - Test Analyst in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Test Analyst in Manchester, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For a new graduate like myself I did not have a hope of getting a job in the IT sector without experience

FDM gave me that experience and, to be completely honest, I have loved my time with them. Heck, I've just signed up for year 3!

If you need a kickstart for your career then look no further

Cons

Having to be geographically flexible is a pita however I was beached (between contracts) for a couple of months after Xmas and whilst they still do expect that we be flexible they will endeavour to place you according to preference after a little time served.

Sick pay....oh wait no they now do pay sick pay :)

Advice to Management

Please have the account managers be a little more diligent with feedback post interview. I had 4 or 5 interviews prior to being placed the second time and not one gave me any feedback.

Also when placing staff in London please prioritise those living in London ahead of the rest of the country, it costs a lot to move to/live in London it's better that someone who is already there takes the role

Keep up the great work guys!

21 Jul 2017 – Commercial Director

Thank you for taking the time to post an honest and constructive review. I’m glad that you’re loving your experience with FDM and that you have signed up for a third year. We are always looking for... More

"Changed a lot since I was there I see"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Brighton, England
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Brighton, England

I worked at FDM Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonuses were a trip to The Spearmint Rhino ( not sure how this fits in with the Women in Tech campaign.

Really funny sacking trainees ( for no reason other than there were no jobs about ) and then threatening them with £20,000 ! It reduced one young man to tears!!! We then told him he didn't have to pay and he'd received £20k of free training and he BELIEVED US!!

Rodders showing off at the expense of the kids/trainees in the Albert ! The lad who said he looked like David Dickinson's sister was quite funny though!

Not giving trainees a sandwich voucher for lunch in London because their train
    was late and watching them have to scatch half another trainees sandwich!

The look on the face of someone who had signed up as a Java developer only to be told he had to do a picking up the phone job !!

Cons

Few and far between. The Spearmint Rhino has now closed but this was in no way FDMs fault, they put money over the till ( and in the thongs ) there.

Advice to Management

Sophisticats and Premium Lace are pretty good strip joints. Maybe they can replace the Spearmint Rhino for the lads.

18 Jan 2018 – Commercial Director

It saddens me to read a post which is clearly malicious and unfounded citing strip club incentives, bullying and threatening behaviour. These comments make a mockery of sites such as Glassdoor where... More

3. "PMO"

Current Employee - PMO in London, England
    Current Employee - PMO in London, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good way to begin a career. Training isn't to practionner level but enough to give you the knowledge to carry out the job at a basic level if motivated.

Cons

Not a lot of support once you are through with the training, although this is improving drastically but currently it's one of the cons for me.

Advice to Management

Offer more certified training to consultants, at least one a year, as the expectation is for you to grow every year, I think that will be the best way for both sides to win. This way at the end of the two years, should they choose to stay, you will be able to put them forward for more roles and they in turn will find it easier to continue to stay on site.

5. "Good Start for grads"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Access to blue chip/large public and private companies
    -Training provided (can start with no experience)
    -Fairly easy recruitment process

Cons

-Low salary when you get a job
    -2 year contract you have to stick to
    -Poor to little support once placed in a job

Advice to Management

Work with employees to find them the right role rather then send them off to random position (for example a Business Analyst to Product specialist)

17 Jan 2018 – Commercial Director

Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad you recognise the value of the training and the client placement opportunities we provide. We do try to accommodate preferences for roles where possible and, we... More

6. "Business Analyst Trainnig program"

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

Good opportunity; numerous clients

Cons

Not paid
    No secure placement
    2 year contract

7. "Consultant"

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are involved in various industries and with many clients, no experience required and some form of training is given.

Cons

The salary and initial contract are bad, first placement or project may take a very long time to come thorugh. more often than not, you will be assigned to a project you are not interested on.

Advice to Management

salaries should go up with inflation as a min requirement, upskilling should be streamlined to facilitate training.

8. "IT Consultant"

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

Great start for graduates that are looking to kickstart their career and work with top clients
    They put you forward to clients very quickly
    Training provided includes industry recognised certifications (e.g. Prince2; BCS)

Cons

If you don't fail any of their training 3x then you would be fired
    Graduates that stay on with FDM after 2 years may find that they have peaked in terms of what FDM has to offer.

Advice to Management

Give consultants more reasons to stay after 2 years (e.g. further training; more senior roles; professional development)

9. "Back to Business - Glasgow"

Current Employee - IT Consultant/Project Manager in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - IT Consultant/Project Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'd been looking for a role for 5 years, and not succeeded. FDM recognised my potential and took me through their intensive 7 week "Back to Business" programme in Glasgow, which gave really useful training, confidence building, and repeated interview practice. At the end of the seven weeks I had a successful interview, and two weeks later I'm in a role I enjoy with a great client.
    I wish I'd found FDM years ago.

Cons

Pay and benefits aren't the best, but I expect I'll probably transition to a permanent role with the client after 2 years, so only a minor issue for me

Advice to Management

None

13 Dec 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad the Getting Back to Business Programme worked out well for you and wish you the best of luck in your career.

Sheila Flavell - COO

"Don't work here"

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

Work with grads in training

Cons

Low salary
    Poor management
    20000 for poor training
    Account managers don't care about you
    Treated like a child
    Can't charge phone's or use Wi-Fi while you work there

Advice to Management

Treat the people who are your cash cow with respect!

11. "Gets you the experience"

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

They will get you the blue chip experience you need, its as simple as that

Cons

You are required to signup for a 2 year period
    You could be required to travel all over the UK
    (both are things you know before you sign up)
    If you are more experienced anyway, then it may feel like kindergarten
    No consultant stream for those who want to return. the only option is being an external contractor