Pulse (UK) Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.5
Pulse (UK) CEO Richard MacMillan
Richard MacMillan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is lots of career progression available within the company and the career pathways are very clear" (in 11 reviews)

• "Great benefits, commission structures (in the right sector) not you're hard sell enviroment" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "But this is something that could be done with career progression" (in 5 reviews)

• "Too Target driven - some targets that are not always achievable, ie" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic recruitment company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broxbourne, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent career progression, great benefits, real family feel, open and honest management, first class training, allows autonomy in role, forward thinking and encourages innovation.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to measure performance if profits aren’t moving forward - this is generally the nature of recruitment.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to staff and moving forward with new ideas.

17 Aug 2018 – Group HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We've worked hard to ensure we create career progression opportunities for everyone so it great to hear this is having a positive impact. It also... More

2. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training and support I have received since joining the business has been excellent, I can always turn to managers and directors for advice. Working with a really good team makes coming into work a pleasure and I have felt welcome and part of the team since day 1.
    I also know that if I want to progress here I can and the career path is clear and available.
    I love that I get to deal with different businesses that fall under the umbrella of UKICS, this makes my days varied and stimulating.

Cons

Personally for me there aren't any cons that are noteworthy.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you are doing as I think its a great place and team to be part of, I'm enjoying my time here.

3. "Great at the beginning"

I worked at Pulse (UK) full-time

Pros

Good people, good benefits, dress down Fridays

Cons

Too much pressure on targets when the industry was changing

"Pretty good"

Current Employee - Trainee Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Trainee Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good team
    Great benefits
    Company looks after you
    Open door to management at any time

Cons

Teams are falling apart
    Resignation galore
    Commission structure needs MAJOR REVAMP!

Advice to Management

Sort it out before more people resign.

15 Jun 2018 – Group HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We pride ourselves on having an open and honest culture so it's great to see one of your pros as 'open door'. It's really disappointing to hear... More

"Mixed bag - has its pros and cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly colleagues and candidates.
    Good benefits package.

Cons

Often find that you are the last to hear about changes that are being introduced.
    Company always wants more and more from you. Very target driven.
    Bonus was taken away except for a few "privileged" colleagues.

Advice to Management

Better communication needed - often find out about things through the grapevine rather than through the correct channels. Moral is low when management ask for more and more.

6 Apr 2018 – Group HR Director

Many thanks for leaving us a review. We always appreciate feedback, whether good or bad, in order to help us make Pulse a great place to work. I will ensure that your comments are fed back to all... More

"Good start to a recruitment career"

Pros

-Colleagues in the office very warm and welcoming
    -Team culture is strong and emphasis on working as a team
    -On-Boarding programme teaches you everything you need to succeed
    -Ongoing training and development opportunities
    -Kings Cross location is easy to get to if you live in London
    -team drinks/office competitions and charity work have become more frequent since 2017.

Cons

-Lack of career progression or a clear pathway after initial promotions.
    -Bonus structure isn't the clearest in comparison to competitiors
    -KPIs are very rigid meaning there is little room for consultants who are successful outside of the traditional mould.

Advice to Management

Create a careers pathway. When a consultant reaches targets give them either a pay review or a progression review - this will keep people happier.

Make KPIs more flexible as some consultants can hit/exceed their GM targets using their own techniques and this should be rewarded rather than discouraged.

Keep the office culture. Pulse is a nice place to work and does have a family feel which is tough to find in recruitment. It still remains a great choice to start your career as the training is second to none and some of the management have a wealth of experience to learn from.

4 Jan 2018 – Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

It's great to hear that you feel our on-boarding programme sets our people up for success and that you experienced on-going training and... More

"Not for me"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I worked at Pulse (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you could help yourself to a free drink in the kitchen every friday, friday games, free tea and coffee, recruitment and compliance team were very welcoming.

Cons

Constantly criticised on a daily basis, was told I don’t know how to use outlook properly or send or delete emails, told i was making the business lose money,constant demotivating remarks from my manager via email and verbally infront of other staff daily at the Kings x branch. Witnessed emails between senior staff talking rudely about lower ranking staff as they’d forgotten to delete emails from team inbox. Also witnessed bullying in other teams and constant swearing between staff in conversations.Witnessed someone resign while I was there also due to bullying. Went home crying twice,In the end i left due to this.

Advice to Management

Management should be monitored as internal bullying has also come up in other reviews because it happens frequently. It is managers and senior staff bullying staff of lower ranking. People feel scared to speak out.

30 Jan 2018 – Group HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Some of your comments are extremely concerning and I would therefore encourage you to contact me directly at Rozie.Edwards@ukics.com so I can... More

8. "A&E Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in London, England
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in London, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It allows you to be flexible, pick your shifts and hospitals you want to work in

Cons

Not being part of a team

4 Jan 2018 – Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

Whilst it is great that you value our flexibility, it's disappointing to hear that you don't feel part of a team.

Our culture very much... More

9. "Did not enjoy my experience!"

I worked at Pulse (UK) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team trips out once targets have been met.

Cons

No probation reviews were carried out during employment, no thorough trainning provided to perform job to a high standard. Work colleagues were not pleasant to be around. Management had favourites and those that were more quiet but worked hard were often not rewarded.

Advice to Management

Train you staff and make sure probation procedures are followed through. Do not be lazy and rely on other team members who are busy themselves to train new members of staff. Directors need to be made fully aware of how other managers are treating members of staff and make sure that the managers are following new starter procedures correctly.

21 Nov 2017 – Group HR Director

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your experience of working at Pulse wasn't as positive as we'd like to achieve. I want to reassure you that we will take your feedback on board and... More

10. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in London, England

I worked at Pulse (UK) (More than a year)

Pros

-Cares about its employees
    -Has growth opportunities
    -regular bonus incentives

Cons

None I encountered within the one year I was there

27 Sep 2017 – Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.