Equal Experts Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.6
Equal Experts Managing Director Thomas Granier
Thomas Granier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is actually a thing" (in 13 reviews)

• "There are lots of interesting projects with some high-profile clients and you get to learn a lot about delivering in a pretty short amount of time" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only slight downside from my point of view is the location of most projects but if you're based in or around London that should not be a problem" (in 3 reviews)

• "Company is clearly showing growing pains, with standardisation (of internal processes, tools, etc" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great people, great values and they care"

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at Equal Experts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm working with the most experienced group of people it's ever been my pleasure to work with. As Equal Experts looks at values as part of the recruitment process, I'm also working with some of the nicest, most pragmatic people as well. This makes delivery as easy as it ever can be and a lot of fun to boot.

If you've got enough experience and you want to work in a caring, fun, interesting team then take a good look at these guys. I liked them so much I went permie after thinking that I'd never do that again.

The flat structure makes it really easy to discuss anything with anyone. Even the MD is available for anyone to talk to. Show me another company where you can say that.

The associate networks means that, if you want to, you can go off and do something else for a while and then be welcomed back at any time (providing there's an open role, obviously).

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep going guys

2. "Adult, autonomous, interesting work and working with the best in the industry"

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Equal Experts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Highly autonomous - you are treated like an adult at every level and in every way
    * Lots of opportunity to positively impact how and where the business grows
    * Lots of interesting client engagements, with real and interesting challenges
    * Great leadership team who get it and create a culture that enables growth
    * Working with a first class team of capable and passionate associates
    * Great company profile so great to be able to blog and speak on behalf of a respected company

Cons

Still young in many ways, but that's more of a Pro than a Con, as the leadership team work really hard to maintain the flexible culture whilst finding ways to embed foundations that enable continued long-term growth

Advice to Management

Evidently doing what's needed to grow. Carry on as usual :)

3. "They waited to find me the right role before I joined as an employee, it was worth the wait!"

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Equal Experts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work life balance is actually a thing! I can't stress this point enough. EE recognise that people are more than work. By being able to drop kids off or get an emptier train or wait at home when they have a last minute fridge delivery mean individuals perform better at work
    - In the 3 months I've worked here, everyone I've met is a specialist in their field. It's refreshing to work with people who are passionate about what they do but also recognise when they need to lean on other people
    - Everyone is maxed but I have found that people have always made the time to help me develop skills, feel confident delivering as EE or just have a coffee to help me grow my network
    - The company lives its values and wants to be right by its client. Having worked for a large consulting firm and then a small start up it's refreshing not always be chasing the next sale.

Cons

- You make your own destiny in the network so there are elements of meeting the right people to answer certain questions
     - The autonomy and freedom does lead to inefficiencies in other areas and duplication but the company have made this conscious decision

Advice to Management

I feel like the company has been successful because of making lots of small decisions they've made in the journey. Don't loose the spirit or EE-ness as we continue to grow.

4. "Probably best company for contractors to work with"

Current Employee - Associate Software Developer in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at Equal Experts (More than a year)

Pros

- Great network of smart, competent and friendly people
    - Almost no management, no egotistical people
    - Ability to switch between different projects (if appropriate & available)
    - Good business model and hiring process
    - Helpful staff

Cons

- For certain customers that are resistant to any change, challenging their values and decisions might be necessary & more useful in terms of the overall company & team performance
    - Regular feedback from teammates could be useful for improvement

Advice to Management

- With this amazing network of people, EE could create great products as well. I'd like to see more contributions from EE to open source world and see their own products.

- Encouraging entrepreneurship and people to try their own ideas in the network and something like an internal incubator could be great for EE to build it's own products.

- People could be encouraged to develop their own products by sparing certain amount of time each month (say, a day per month) and a partnership model could be offered for the ideas liked

5. "Great network of contractors. Not such a good place for employees."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Equal Experts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The standard of hiring is really strong. They look for technically strong individuals with good work ethic and the right personality to work in a software development consultancy.
    - Because the vast majority of folks are contractors, the turnover is healthy. The teams scale up quickly and if someone doesn't work out, they leave at short notice.
    - The events are very good and well attended.

Cons

- The focus is on hiring people who are already experienced at what they do. Those contractors are not looking for any career progression, they generate the fees and so the employees are left behind. As an employee, more loyalty is expected but not much thought has been put into developing employees.
    - Oftentimes, associates (contractors) on-site will get opportunities to change their roles and increase their responsibility yet the same opportunity to progress is not there for permanent staff.
    - There is a distinct lack of females at the higher echelons of the business and we have seen quite a few senior women leave the business recently.
    - Those who give constructive feedback about the status quo are not 'grown-up' and marginalised.
    - Lack of hierarchy and career progression means that ambitious people are all looking to be partners as that seems to be the only thing to aim for. It has created chaos and unhealthy politics.
    - Many partners are not visible to the business and it's unclear what they actually do and what results they are accountable for.

Advice to Management

Are you bringing everyone to the table? Or just the chosen few?

6. "Best Company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Operations in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Operations in Manchester, England

I have been working at Equal Experts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Working around some really smart people who are very passionate about what they do
    -Incredibly Enabling environment, if you have an idea as long as you have the ability / drive you can make it happen
    - The clues in the name individuals and ideas are given the 'equal' respect no matter what the job title
    -Client focused approach, at all levels of the business employees seem dedicated to provide quality and value to their clients

Cons

I enjoy going to work every day, Equal Experts employee people at experienced / senior level and they expect you to lead the way in your field. This is great but could be intimidating for some.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good stuff, some more staff nights out might be nice!

7. "Great environment to work in and great work life balance"

Current Employee - Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Equal Experts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to be surrounded by egoless, intelligent and collaborative colleagues, Equal Experts is perfect for you. The network is extremely helpful and friendly, and it's a place you'll be certain to form long lasting friendships.

Cons

Due to internal changes you sometimes feel like they don't really know what's going on with a lot of things themselves, but they are growing rapidly, so it's to be expected.

Advice to Management

Keep all the good work you're doing with restructuring EE. But don't let yourself get swallowed by process and become rigid! The ad-hoc and dynamic style of EE as a business is what keeps it personal and a great place to work.

8. "Best place I've worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I have been working at Equal Experts (Less than a year)

Pros

Although EE are a company that is staffed mainly by contractors (75%) you would never know this.

They say they are a company of grown ups and this is definitely the case, structure is flat, everyone is trusted to do their jobs and there is none of the usual politics or nonsense you get in almost all other companies.

As an associate (contractor) you really get the best of all worlds as you get paid great day rates and have a fantastic support network and welcoming culture.

If you are a contractor at the top of your game then look no further, if you are thinking of going contracting then look no further. EE is the place to be

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep it up - I'm proud to work with EE

9. "Senior Consultant/Developer"

Former Employee - Senior Agile Java Developer in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Agile Java Developer in London, England

I worked at Equal Experts (Less than a year)

Pros

- Life work balance and Flexibility
    - Very kind and understanding Senior management team
    - Highly skilled, professional and resourceful company

Cons

- Visibility on internal vacancies could be improved
    - They gain lots of traction and their clients have big expectations. But not all their teams are at full capacity. Regardless of that they manage very well to move forward no matter the challenge.

Advice to Management

Aim to supply your teams always. Make sure all your dev teams have a business analyst close to them and they have all they need. Improve the visibility of your internal vacancies.

10. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Office in London, England
    Former Employee - Office in London, England

Pros

Nice head office, nice people

Cons

None that I can think of