Magellan Health Reviews

3.1
Magellan Health CEO Kenneth J. Fasola
Kenneth J. Fasola
Pros
Cons
  • "The poor leadership and the perpetuation of poor leadership by upper management for years(in 25 reviews)

• "High turnover rate of productive employees(in 15 reviews)

1. "Office"

I worked at Magellan Health full-time

Pros

Social workforce and flexible hours

Cons

Administration still needs to be streamlined

Magellan Health2019-04-14
  2. "Positive experience, but a bit hard to navigate"

5.0
    Current Employee - Magellan Federal Contractor

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people so far, fair pay, no hassle interview process

Cons

you have to navigate a lot on your own. The information is there (provided), but you have to initiate almost all contact with your supervisor. Fine for me, but could be hard for less experienced applicants.

Magellan Health2020-05-21

May 22, 2020Recruitment Marketing Director

Thank you for the review!

3. "I liked my supervisors"

Former Employee - Child and Youth Behavioural Therapist

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed my job. I got lots of face to face contacts with clients.

Cons

Uncertainty if the company would get the contract with the rebid.

Magellan Health2020-05-22

May 22, 2020Recruitment Marketing Director

Thank you for the review!

"Lacking an effective organizational structure with too many VP's and SVP's"

2.0
    Former Employee - Director
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many employees dedicated to the mission statement Flexibility to work from home as needed (prior to COVID-19) Compensation is competitive for some jobs

Cons

Managers and employees are often not held accountable for their actions or lack thereof. Managers lack basic skills, are not trained and are promoted based on tenure which contributes to the high turnover Medical benefits cater to the more highly compensated employees as lower paid employees cannot afford to seek medical care with having only High Deductible Plans to choose from Directors and managers must become working managers due to a lack of resources Empathy too often replaces sound business decisions leading to fiscal irresponsibility Lack of centralization and standardization in some back office functions

Magellan Health2020-05-19

Thank you for the review of Magellan Health as a place to work.

5. "Meaningful job, not enough pay"

Former Employee - Military Family Life Counselor in Washington, DC

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work itself is meaningful and enjoyable, great deal of autonomy, somewhat depends on individual rotational placement

Cons

Pay does not compensate fairly with regard to geographic location/cost of living, years of experience, or individual skill level. It is a flat structure, where everyone is paid equal regardless of performance.

Magellan Health2020-05-17

May 18, 2020Recruitment Marketing Director

Thank you for the review of Magellan Health as a place to work.

6. "overall good company"

Current Employee - Senior QA Tester

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

use the new technology, AWS, datalake,

Cons

business topics, old data, many reports,

Magellan Health2020-05-17

May 18, 2020Recruitment Marketing Director

7. "nurse care manager"

Former Employee - Nurse Care Manager

I worked at Magellan Health full-time

Pros

nice pay compare with peer companies

Cons

too much work, averagely 10 hours per day

Magellan Health2020-05-08

May 8, 2020Recruitment Marketing Director

Thank you for the review of Magellan Health as a place to work.

"IT has a miserable culture now thanks to leadership"

1.0
    Current Employee - Project Management
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Magellan Health does have excellent PTO with vacation and sick time combined. It's great if you are really healthy, but not so great if you get sick.

Cons

I have hesitated to write a review for years despite the morale and general treatment of employees declining over the several years since Srini Koushik became CTO here at Magellan. It was my hope that he would move on from this position, but like a horrible virus he has stuck around the company infecting it with more and more toxicity fueled by his enormous outgrown ego. If you have a chance to take a job in IT here and it's your absolute only feasible option than please go ahead and do so - everyone needs to pay the bills and you will be able to make some money before moving on to something better with management who truly cares about you. But if you have any other feasible option, you should run from this toxic Magellan IT culture that Mr. Koushik has created. When Mr. Koushik arrived, we touted himself as a savior who would make us 10x more productive by implementing Exponential Org theory. What he failed to mention was that one of his prime ways of achieving this productivity was through waves of layoffs. Wave upon wave of layoffs. The reduction in force would also be accompanied by him driving his employees to work longer hours. The idea of work life balance is a concept that Mr. Koushik has no empathy for since all he seems to be occupied with is promoting himself and all others should work in the common promotion and glorification of him. And to this end, he early on introduced Workplace from Facebook into IT. Workplace is basically the same as Facebook but geared to a work environment. It's hard to overstate how toxic the introduction of Workplace was for the IT culture here. All of the sudden you provided a platform for people to compete for favor on what is basically social media. Additionally, Mr. Koushik models this behavior on Workplace by constantly complimenting and promoting one person, Mr. Koushik. The number of times he uses "I" on his posts is disappointing. His behavior models actions that are actually harmful to teamwork. Thank goodness that Mr. Koushik hasn't found Twitter for Workplace yet. I have seen waves and waves of loyal hardworking employees get laid off, mistreated by lower level management, and the culture in IT devolve into something awful. This is a lot but what finally broke me and compelled me to write this is the pathetic way Magellan and IT security took care my personal information. Under Mr. Koushik's watch, Magellan recently became victim of ransomware and apparently my SSN and other information along with all my colleagues present and many of my colleagues who have escaped. So now in a pandemic, I also have to be worried about my identity being stolen. Did our savior and his inner circle not take the proper measures to harden our servers from attack and encrypt our data? So careless. I will give credit to Srini Koushik for one thing - he has showed how I never want to behave in my career.

Magellan Health2020-05-21

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Quality Analyst in Albany, NY

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work-life balance, benefits, atmosphere and culture, work that matters

Cons

Nothing that you don't find at any other company - certain individuals are not so fun to work with.

Magellan Health2020-04-10

April 13, 2020Recruitment Marketing Director

Thank you for your review of Magellan Health as a place to work.

10. "Teleworking Opportunities"

5.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time

Pros

Great work from home opportunities

Cons

Working in a constant state of change

Magellan Health2020-04-08

April 10, 2020Recruitment Marketing Director

Thank you for the review of Magellan Health as a place to work. We appreciate the insight!

Found 652 reviews