SGN Reviews

Updated Oct 14, 2021

Found 155 of over 165 reviews

SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
Pros
  • "Good benefits and good career opportunities(in 10 reviews)

• "Amazing training, management team are brilliant, never bored, great people to work with(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Very long hours especially in the winter(in 10 reviews)

• "The senior management team never seem to listen(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great Place to work

Sep 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

family and friendly atmosphere despite it being a large company excellent job security and satisfaction get to make a real difference and help society

Cons

some offices could do with modernising

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Shift patterns suited me

Oct 4, 2021 - Dispatch Controller in Portsmouth, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Shift patterns were good. Good working in teams

Cons

Not knowing workload prior to work day

3. 2.0

No life

Oct 14, 2021 - Team Leader
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can earn good money on overtime. Given a van, tools and full PPE.

Cons

No work life balance, you work 11 out of 17 weekends. low basic wage, no respect for employees and badly organised support systems. Expected to suddenly work overtime as and when the company needs it.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Good company to work for

Sep 23, 2021 - Team Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Brilliant team who will go the extra mile to help others and ensure targets are met. Flexibility is helpful. I generally enjoy working here.

Cons

People at director level need to come and see for themselves what certain teams do and just how much they contribute to the business as many feel overlooked. Contracted staff need to be valued equally to permanent employees too, with some giving many years of service.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

No worklife / homelife balance

Aug 25, 2021 - Gas Engineer in Horsham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay Good set of lads

Cons

Management clueless Morally wrong cutting corners Rota destroys you Some lazy workers

SGN Response

Employee Experience Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. We’re pleased to hear you were satisfied with our compensation package and we couldn’t agree with you more that we have some great people working with us! To address the title of your review, we’ve worked with our Trades Union colleagues to improve work-life balance as far as possible while balancing the demands of running a 24/7 emergency gas business. The design of our work patterns is consistently improving, becoming much safer because of our focus on fatigue management. Thanks again and wishing you the best for your future.

6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Stagnant

Sep 30, 2021 - Depot Clerk
      Business Outlook

Pros

Colleagues are easy and great to work with but that’s the only thing

Cons

Does not offer flexible working during a time where things are changing Does not listen to help make better changes Not enough diversity A lot of pressure and responsibility on a low income Very target based creating unhealthy competition

7. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Dismissed for political reasons

Sep 27, 2021 - Administration in Portsmouth, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

really cannot think of any

Cons

I joined SGN and excelled at my training, leading far ahead from the rest of my intake group. I was looking forward to a change in career. During my last day of training, the department manager came in and started talking about the company. Strangely he brought up the subject of employee's concerns over Brexit, and asked the entire group how we all voted. A lot of us were visually uncomfortable about this. He then asked those of us who voted in favour of it to raise their hands; I didn't because I had voted to remain. This kind of question is, of course, illegal; but companies can dismiss this as simply being casual conversation. However the very next day, I (and several others who hadn't raised their hands) were individually brought into rooms and told by management that we were not where they wanted us to be in our training and told that we were being dismissed. Perhaps the most egregious thing about the whole sorry affair is how the company has tried, repeatedly, to lie in order to cover up their misdeeds. They have repeatedly responded to me claiming that I "did not display the appropriate behaviours and attitude" for the role, in direct contradiction to all feedback received during training. They rely on this broad, catch-all term to attempt to shift the blame for their politically-motivated actions against their employees. To be clear, I was routinely praised for my strong work ethic during training, fastidious attention to detail and willingness to go above and beyond and exemplified flexibility in my role. This feedback came from my team and leaders - SGN know this, but also know that I did not support Brexit (a question which was illegal for management to ask in the first place). Their continual attempt to blame the victims of their actions is repugnant and unethical, and speaks of their work culture. I would advise anyone who seeks employment here to be very, very careful. Watch your backs and keep records.

8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Don't come here if you don't need a job very badly.

Sep 28, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

None I can think off

Cons

Bullying, flouting of safety rules, when it suits management.

9. 1.0
      Current Employee

Avoid this company completely

Sep 24, 2021 - Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am a positive person and dedicated employee of 22 years experience however I find it hard to add pros of working within SGN now more than ever.

Cons

The new price control GD2 has resulted in less staff same work load and has left every employee no matter the experience or level expendable.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great

Aug 16, 2021 - Maintenance in Portsmouth, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Get a pay progression every few months, good pay, care about mental health and great place to work

Cons

Awkward to get to if you don't drive

SGN Response

Employee Experience Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to leave your positive review. It's always encouraging to hear when things are working well, and it sounds like the approach to progression in your team is working incredibly well. We’re also pleased to hear you feedback on mental health – keeping our employees safe, both mentally and physically, is our top priority. We hope you’re staying safe and that your journey at SGN continues to be a positive one.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 155 Reviews