SGN Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1. Featured Review

"Great career opportunities"

Current Employee - Resource Manager in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Resource Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Secure, professional, hardworking company, good benefits

Cons

A lot of change in roles but that's only because there is so many great opportunities for young people in the company

Advice to Management

Keep leading by example and helping me like me move up the ladder in my career with SGN. I get a lot of good advice, mentoring and coaching from my managers.

25 Jul 2017 – Employee Experience Co-ordinator

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a review. It sounds like you’ve received lots of support from your managers and that’s helping you move up the career ladder. As you’ll know, one of our... More

2. "Great company to work for - wish more opportunities were given"

I have been working at SGN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by lovely people. Most people stick to the 'one SGN' and treats everyone else with respect. There's a lot of opportunities across the company for development.

Cons

Minimum opportunities within certain teams. No room/time for progression.

Advice to Management

Your employees are going to perform well when they're happy. Take time to listen to them as individuals. A quick 5 minute chat in the morning will go a long way and really make your employees feel welcome and cared for.

"EXCELLENT COMPANY TO WORK IN"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I worked at SGN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional and friendly environment. All the staff in each department supportive and motivating.

Cons

A downside of SGN is hard to mention. They are actually a very organized company and work-life balance is really good.

29 May 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

It’s great to hear such good feedback about your time at SGN. We’re working on lots of exciting projects at the moment to keep improving and enhancing the experiences of our people.

4. "An experience to work for them. It’s who you know not how good you are"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Mary Cray, England
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Mary Cray, England

I worked at SGN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work is very easy and it’s very easy to learn what you need to know if you are smart.
    Quite a relaxed environment at first glance.
    Chance of progression maybe

Cons

No diversity. You can see they only hire particular people.
    Doesn’t appear to want to spend any money on employees.
    Poor pay, poor lunch breaks, poor working conditions.
    Lots of affairs and slight bullying.
    Lots of mean people

Advice to Management

SGN’s reputation is being affected by managements affairs and choices. Those in charge of depots should be more professional. SGN also looks somewhat racist.

4 Jun 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Many thanks for your recent review.

It’s disappointing to hear your experience at SGN wasn’t an entirely positive one. Allegations of bullying are something we take very seriously and if you’re... More

5. "Awful company"

Current Employee - Maintenance Team Manager in Poole, England
    Current Employee - Maintenance Team Manager in Poole, England

I have been working at SGN (More than 10 years)

Pros

Secure job. Employment T&Cs are adequate.

Cons

As a company, SGN does not like honest comments. SGN used to do an annual survey of employee engagement, but the results kept getting worse. What did SGN do? They tried to adjust the questions to give positive answers but this failed. Did SGN listen to the polls? No, they decided to cut the surveys. Good job SGN.

Advice to Management

Get your act together otherwise the share holders will do it for you

4 Jun 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

The decision to pause our annual employee opinion survey was taken in May 2016 after eight consecutive years running the survey. During this... More

6. "SGN a great company (being held back)"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

My job is varied and very rewarding, the pay is fair with the option to work overtime, I have a very decent pension to look forward to. SGN is a forward looking company with an open and honest attitude, always looking for ways to improve. There is plenty of opportunity to further your career within the company.

Cons

Some co-workers bring nothing but negativity to the work environment, moaning about the their basic pay, holiday entitlement, basically they moan about everything in their contract, a contract that they agreed to work before joining SGN, if the T & C's are so bad why do they stay ? The reality is they probably would get employment any where else that gave them the same earning potential and job security. There is also an issue with a few members of staff claiming they are being victimised and threatening to put in a grievance just because they are questioned overwork related incidents.

Advice to Management

Support the employees that serve the company well and weed out the few that always seem to want to rock the boat.

17 Apr 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Many thanks for your recent review. As you commented, we’re always looking for ways to improve and your feedback will help us do just that.

Like you say, it’s important that we recognise valuable... More

7. "Safe job"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Lots of progression available. Can start with no qualifications in lots of jobs. Great people to work with.

Cons

Animosity from workforce to managers. Lots of unhappiness about pay.

Advice to Management

Push for better pay

16 Apr 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for leaving a review. We agree that there are lots of opportunities for hard-working employees to progress and we encourage efforts for self-development that benefit our people and company... More

"Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Facilities in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Facilities in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very friendly staff, Great opportunity to advance in your career. Great benefits.

Cons

office is right next to a main road on a corner

Advice to Management

more communication

31 Jan 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for sharing your experiences of working at SGN. It’s great to hear that you enjoy working here and value our people and benefits.

Internal communications can be challenging for any... More

9. "Leading the way"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working for SGN is great. There are many opportunities for those who wish to progress within the company. The staff are highly valued and there are many ways to get rewarded for going above and beyond. SGN are leading the way in innovation.

Cons

I don't have a bad word to say about working for SGN

31 Jan 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear you enjoy working for SGN and we hope your SGN journey continues to be a positive one.

"Good job, Poor company"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoy the job. Good variety of work. Good job security. Good team spirit within the department. Not much else to be honest.

Cons

Poor pay and benefits. Big divide in company terms and conditions. No one listens to your opinion. Guys out on the ground are not trusted and many managers use bully boy tactics to get there own way.

Advice to Management

Listen to your field workers instead of ignoring them. A decent benefits package, instead of the Mickey Mouse benefit package thats on offer at the moment. Pay the going rate and treat staff well, then you have a good company.

21 Feb 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear that you enjoy your job and team spirit is high.

We’re committed to continuous improvement and acting on feedback where we can... More