SGN Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

"Working for SGN"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SGN is a large, experienced company and although only set up in 2005 is made up of people and teams who have been working in the Gas Industry for many years. Some of our best managers have come up through the ranks having joined as apprentices at age 16. I myself have been with the company in various identities for 37 years.
    The salaries are competitive. The company is a leader in innovation, environmental efficiencies, health and safety of its staff, procedures and the public.
    There are many opportunities to develop and climb the ladder if you desire but you are also supported should you want to your career in the same role or team.
    There is a great camaraderie and social scene in most teams and colleagues have made friends for life.
    There are many company benefits and all staff are encouraged to support the community and charities within our footprint.

Cons

None that I can think of.

11 Oct 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for taking the time to leave a positive review of your experiences of working at SGN. You've got a great story to tell and I'm sure your review will be helpful to potential candidates.... More

"Company needs to wake up."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of nice people wanting to do a very good job. Customer service is very good. Plenty of diversity in working environment. If your face fits you can get on very well.

Cons

Too many people who don't know what they are doing. Pay is lower than other gas companies and lots of experienced staff leaving as a result. Lots of stress and targets are increased beyond what the staff can manage. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand are doing at times.

Advice to Management

Your staff are a valuable asset so pay them well and you have a workforce which is motivated.

11 Oct 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We’re keen to find out what people think, and we want to continuously improve, so employee reviews are important to us.

People do make SGN and... More

"The people make it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely people, good working conditions, supportive manager. I'm based in Scotland and have been working with the company for just over three years. I have the opportunity to travel to other depots and offices which is great. There is a good benefits site with discounts for most of the high street retailers. There is also a great employee app which you can access from your own tablet/phone.
    Good opportunities for development/training if you ask for it, though it's difficult to find out what's on offer. Lots of opportunities for moving into other roles, especially in projects.

Cons

Outdated processes (inc HR) but these are being modernised, along with new technologies. Pace of change can be slow. Holiday allocation could be better - maybe increase your holiday allowance in line with length of service which a lot of other companies do.

6 Sep 2017 – Employee Experience Co-ordinator

Thanks for leaving a review – we really appreciate your positive feedback. It’s great to hear that you’ve had a good experience of working at SGN and we fully agree about all the fantastic people who... More

"It's a pleasure"

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great employee packages which include: Community action programme, every employee gets 1 day a year to give something back to the community. Into action, matched funding for a variety of fundraising up to £500. Variety of mentoring opportunities open to all staff. More 4 me ways to get money off. App that gives up to date information to all staff. Job opportunities, training and regular updates. Good terms and conditions. Many locations in Scotland and south, with various jobs in engineering, IT, Finance, Operations, Maintenance, Innovation, Customer, Communications, Stakeholder, Connections, Network, Gas Control etc, something for everyone. A company that gives you a real opportunity to progress.

Cons

Due to the nature of the business there is red tape, policies and sometimes things can take an enormous amount of time to achieve, but this is because SGN is highly regulated.

28 Aug 2017 – Employee Experience Co-ordinator

Thanks for taking the time to leave a positive review – it’s great to hear you’ve had such a good experience of working for SGN. We agree that there’s lots of good stuff, from our benefits offering... More

"My review"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

This job is a job for life people are nice who you work with and good pension and decent benefits

Cons

Managers are not nice treat you like dirt no thanks for working hard har hard hard hard hard hard hard hard

11 Oct 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for your contribution and feedback. We value all reviews as they help us to improve.

We’ve got some great people working at SGN and you’re right, lots of good benefits. We’re going... More

"Great benefits and great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary - fair and annual inflationary increases each year, including an annual lump sum pay award. Plus a pay grade scheme based on merit which means you have the ability to earn more with experience. Good opportunities for progression and development compared to previous employers. Good benefits - generous maternity pay, cycle2work scheme, childcare vouchers, great online portal for retail discounts, pension & death in service scheme to name a few. There are lots of great people working in SGN and it's usually a nice working atmosphere. SGN are a company committed to continuous improvement and take things like safety and employee engagement really seriously. There have been lots of positive changes even since I started three years ago. SGN are also committed to charity/community work which is great - each colleague gets a day to volunteer and help local causes. Company communications are good and they are actively looking at ways to meet the challenge of communicating with a geographical diverse and mainly field-based workforce. The new app is brilliant and really professional. There is a great recognition culture with colleagues getting regularly awarded vouchers plus an annual awards ceremony.

Cons

Like probably all big companies there can be some elements of teams working in silos. The company can be a little old fashioned regarding things like part time working and I wasn't able to secure this when I needed to (however my managers were supportive in other ways like giving me a phased return to full time, however this didn't suit my personal situation). The senior management is lacking a bit in diversity, however I do think the company are doing a lot to gradually change this dynamic and are committed to bring more diversity on board. There have been several big structural changes in our team affecting my role/job description, which is a bit unsettling. I do also think there is too much of a culture of travelling to meetings which don't need to be face to face - there could be better use of modern technology instead. This would be much more environmentally friendly and improve work/life balance for some employees.

Advice to Management

Ultimately I've taken the decision to leave SGN due to personal reasons - but I would recommend the company as an employer to others. No company is perfect but SGN are working hard on the areas where change is needed. My main advice would be to look at a more modern approach to flexible/part-time working, working from home and to avoiding travel for unnecessary face to face meetings. But also - keep up the good work!

10 Aug 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for your review. It’s great so hear so much positivity from you, it’s clear you’ve enjoyed working for SGN and I’m sorry you’ve decided to leave. You’re right that things are changing. New... More

8. "Team leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Yarnton, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Yarnton, England

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everyday is different it's not like working in the same place

Cons

We are a 24 hr service sometimes you got no choice but to just work on

Advice to Management

Get some sanitary units I'm not happy to poo in a bag cos I have no choice

10 Aug 2017 – Head of Employee Experience

Thanks for taking the time to give your feedback. It’s good to hear that every day is different for you. After working at SGN for 10 years you clearly enjoy your job and the difference you make for... More

"Great company - long hours expected from managers"

Current Employee - Support Manager in Portsmouth, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Support Manager in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have worked for SGN for over 11 years. Love my job, the company does recognize hard work and opportunities are there if you are prepared to work for them. Diverse company (perhaps apart from the exec) and great people, the definition of team work should have a picture of my department next to the words, especially during the unexpected. The company does much work to engage its employees and has a range of benefits on offer.

Cons

Long, long hours, 12+hrs (unpaid) is normal in the winter, and it's necessary to answer emails at home to keep on top of the workload. Still a number (though thankfully getting less each year) of old "dinosaurs" within the company - who prefer to command and tell rather than explain the whys. Entry level wages for Range 2 no longer competitive and make the recruitment, selection and retention difficult.

Advice to Management

Carry on doing what you are doing - bringing in external people in to senior positions recently is a positive move and is already bringing a fresh perspective. Consider revising certain range 2 salaries, or reclassifying job ranges for some.

25 Jul 2017 – Employee Experience Co-ordinator

Thanks for taking the time to write a positive review and give us your feedback. We value all reviews - they help us understand areas that we can improve on. It’s refreshing to hear people talk about... More

"Great career opportunities"

Current Employee - Resource Manager in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Resource Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Secure, professional, hardworking company, good benefits

Cons

A lot of change in roles but that's only because there is so many great opportunities for young people in the company

Advice to Management

Keep leading by example and helping me like me move up the ladder in my career with SGN. I get a lot of good advice, mentoring and coaching from my managers.

25 Jul 2017 – Employee Experience Co-ordinator

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a review. It sounds like you’ve received lots of support from your managers and that’s helping you move up the career ladder. As you’ll know, one of our... More

"SGN First Call Operative"

Current Employee - First Call Operative in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - First Call Operative in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible working,great company benefits, work life balance

Cons

Divided work force, too many varied contracts, limited scope for progression

Advice to Management

Rectify several differences between SGNC and SGND contracts regarding Wage and Sick Pay

25 Jul 2017 – Employee Experience Co-ordinator

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback – it’s appreciated. We’re pleased to hear that you’re finding you have a good work-life balance and flexibility in your working patterns. It’s good... More