SGN Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 81 reviews

3.5
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
Pros
  • "Amazing training, management team are brilliant, never bored, great people to work with(in 7 reviews)

• "There is a good benefits site with discounts for most of the high street retailers(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours and trying to balance family life can be hard(in 5 reviews)

• "Bit more e-learning would benefit, paper qualifications and interest from the senior management would benefit all sides(in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"It's a good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aldershot, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

The people I work alongside make my day, we help one another and there is always someone you can ask. The work itself is a challenge and I like a challenge. I have been with SGN for just a short while (a year and a half) and I can honestly say that SGN have given me more than I expected. I am always hungry to learn and they have recognised this and 'fed me' and for this I will always be grateful.

Cons

Sometimes people can feel overlooked, it's a big company and you can feel as though nobody has noticed how hard you have worked everyday, a lot of good people do a good job on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Look after the 'little people' sometimes just a well done is enough to make someones day and keep them on the track to success.

SGN2018-11-16

November 29, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for the five-star review! We’re so pleased to hear that you’re enjoying life at SGN and making the most of the opportunities that are available. The work our people do across all levels and locations is hugely important and is critical in enabling us to deliver our promises ...

2. "Good company with good progression. Other departments possibly not"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Good pay, overtime available, progression

Cons

Other department managers can be bullies

Advice to Management

Step up for the workers, don’t just be yes men

SGN2019-05-12
  3. "Great company and Team"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone helps each other, I am treated like a grown up, SGN invest in me and support me with my professional ambitions. SGN support the outward bound trust and allow its employers to go away with the trust as a mentor to the students.

Cons

Company car process is a pain. Pool cars are of limited choice and you may be lumbered with it for a year or so. IT - delivery of equipment for new starters is slow which leaves them sitting on their thumbs a-bit in the first few weeks PPE - really slow but hopefully a new ordering process has sorted that one out

Advice to Management

Carry on moving in the right direction. Do not forget that the most important asset to SGN is its people.

4. "Not a Bad Company"

Current Employee - Network Record Assistant in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

IT Systems are not up to scratch

Advice to Management

Sort out IT systems and we can do our job more efficiently

5. "Honest opinion"

Current Employee - FCO/Team Leader in Dunfermline, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Great pay if your willing to put the hours in. Pension Scheme has improved recently. A few decent company benefits such as cheaper Gym membership, Cycle to work scheme etc. Job security as long as you follow rules and procedures. Great opportunities for further development. All round decent job.

Cons

I am multi skilled. Fully trained team leader and FCO. Fully trained in Industrual Commercial work and take on projects often. I'm also a district assessor and I receive no extra pay for taking on these duties. Industrial Commercial tickets are required and that part of the gas safe has to be renewed every 5 years. This is harder than the normal gas safe and the day to day work holds much more responsibility. Other staff...

Advice to Management

Please amend unfair pay issues. Extra responsibility should mean extra pay. I feel the Industrial Conmercial ticket holders should be paid for this. District assessors also. I'm happy to take on more responsibility but I'd like to be paid more than the guys who avoid such responsibility.

SGN2019-05-08
  6. "Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Rewarding, ambitious IT department. Supportive team and lots of autonomy. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Immature processes due to a lot of change and a lot of legacy issues.

Advice to Management

Listen to the team and cascade information. Need to work horizontally and vertically to get the best of out of the people. Going in the right direction.

SGN2019-05-08
  7. "SGN"

Current Employee - Performance Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Job for life if you want it

Cons

Can be old fashioned at times

SGN2019-04-23
  8. "A good place to work"

I have been working at SGN part-time

Pros

Nice people, interesting work, supportive line manager, opportunities for development. Not micro managed. Ideas get listened to.

Cons

Can be frustratingly slow. Office environment is not great. Lots of unnecessarily long and dull meetings. Lots of long reports to create and read.

Advice to Management

Keep the best bits of the company but start updating faster - and stop people having such long meetings.

SGN2019-04-17

April 30, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving us a review, we’re delighted you think SGN is a good place to work! We appreciate your advice and understand the pace of change can be frustrating, this is often due to the highly regulated nature of our work but we are committed to improving for our colleagues ...

9. "Strong and stable, like the Conservative Party"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

If you keep your head down and work hard, after a number of years you might be allowed to watch newer employees being rewarded.

Cons

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Go look at the other reviews for a more in depth summary.

10. "Status"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Work as part of a team

Cons

Called out at 3am sometimes

SGN2019-04-17

April 30, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks very much for leaving us a review. We value all employee feedback.

Found 81 reviews