SGN Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

John Morea

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Finance"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

A stable environment, that allows for progression.

Cons

Overall benefits package is poor compared to competitors.

30 Nov 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Hopefully you’ve watched Kate’s feature on SGNApp, called In the Hot Seat. In the video, Kate mentions the ‘big ten’ HR things that we’re addressing (in... More

2. "Good company and people but some HR improvements needed"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Good people and very supportive. If you are a good worker you have a job for life.

Cons

Some departments are very bad with salary progression and putting you in the correct salary bands for your role which can be disheartening to say the least.

Advice to Management

If you ask someone to do a job at a higher salary range it should be made official and you should be paid accordingly, not still begging for the title and the salary over a year later!

22 Nov 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for your posting your review. You’re right about the people at SGN, great people and strong teamwork is a consistent positive theme from our employee engagement surveys. It’s our people that... More

"Potentially very good, currently very poor..."

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The colleagues in my department are great, job entails something different everyday as we're on the road and the job is yours for life, if you want it. These are the only reasons I stay, I want it to become the company that I know it can be....

Cons

Too many to mention... The hierarchy deems it correct that they can pay 2 people doing the same job a wage with a £6k difference... What incentive is there to stay when getting completely mugged off like that?!!! This is NOT competitive, this is offensive and the powers above are clueless how to keep a workforce happy... Other companies have much better wages, benefits packages and respect. SGN are falling to the bottom of the league and drastic changes are needed to keep the amazing staff they have... BEFORE THEY JUMP SHIP!!!!

You will see previous reviews from employees and I don't believe for one second the good ones are from staff, sounds more like a marketing/recruitment ploy from director's. I have not met one member of staff who is happy.

Any reply from SGN saying "Please bring your concerns to your manager" are a joke. They too have no power to change what is needed and in general they are very good. It's above them, the "decision makers" where the issues lie.

Advice to Management

The company make huge profits every year with minimal reward to the staff who make that profit for them.... Time to step up and prove how SGN really value their staff, because saying it doesn't cut the mustard any longer....

22 Nov 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for posting a review on Glassdoor. The reviews give us insight into areas for improvement and we welcome all feedback. We accept things are not perfect but hopefully you’ll appreciate from our... More

5. "Lots of good things and a few not so good, but things are moving in the right direction."

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

The people are great, in many places there's a strong family feel, and people want to deliver the best customer experience. Community involvement is high on the agenda - the CAP scheme allows everyone to spend one day each year working together to make a difference for our local communities. Some of our leaders genuinely embrace it. There's also a matched giving fund too. Recognition is done well. The SGNWay awards recognise lots of people every month. There’s a fantastic magazine with a strong people focus, as well as an App for news and blogs which is helps to communicate with harder to reach field-based workers. Anyone can blog and the company supports powerful campaigns such as Mental Health Week and International Women’s Day. Like many companies, Inclusion and Diversity is an issue. Things appear to be changing for the better but the pace of change is rather slow. Innovation is a priority and the company is leading the way in this area. Many awards have been won, not only in innovation, but also in leadership, gas safety and comms. It’s great that these are recognised across the company. Overall lots of people want to make a difference and improve things.

Cons

Not so good is IT but a Cloud and O365 migration should help. Poor network speeds and lack of good wifi across sites. Some managers’ people skills are limited. HR processes are frustrating but things are improving in this area.

Advice to Management

Be open minded to a different way of doing things, and try a few of them. Modernise the areas that need it, it’s 2017. Trust your people and have adult conversations. Communicate more from the top on strategic direction and company performance.

24 Oct 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for sharing your experience of working for SGN. It’s great to hear positivity about many of the areas we do well.

Like many companies, IT can be challenging but our O365 and Cloud... More

"Working for SGN"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SGN is a large, experienced company and although only set up in 2005 is made up of people and teams who have been working in the Gas Industry for many years. Some of our best managers have come up through the ranks having joined as apprentices at age 16. I myself have been with the company in various identities for 37 years.
    The salaries are competitive. The company is a leader in innovation, environmental efficiencies, health and safety of its staff, procedures and the public.
    There are many opportunities to develop and climb the ladder if you desire but you are also supported should you want to your career in the same role or team.
    There is a great camaraderie and social scene in most teams and colleagues have made friends for life.
    There are many company benefits and all staff are encouraged to support the community and charities within our footprint.

Cons

None that I can think of.

11 Oct 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for taking the time to leave a positive review of your experiences of working at SGN. You've got a great story to tell and I'm sure your review will be helpful to potential candidates.... More

"Company needs to wake up."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of nice people wanting to do a very good job. Customer service is very good. Plenty of diversity in working environment. If your face fits you can get on very well.

Cons

Too many people who don't know what they are doing. Pay is lower than other gas companies and lots of experienced staff leaving as a result. Lots of stress and targets are increased beyond what the staff can manage. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand are doing at times.

Advice to Management

Your staff are a valuable asset so pay them well and you have a workforce which is motivated.

11 Oct 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We’re keen to find out what people think, and we want to continuously improve, so employee reviews are important to us.

People do make SGN and... More

"The people make it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely people, good working conditions, supportive manager. I'm based in Scotland and have been working with the company for just over three years. I have the opportunity to travel to other depots and offices which is great. There is a good benefits site with discounts for most of the high street retailers. There is also a great employee app which you can access from your own tablet/phone.
    Good opportunities for development/training if you ask for it, though it's difficult to find out what's on offer. Lots of opportunities for moving into other roles, especially in projects.

Cons

Outdated processes (inc HR) but these are being modernised, along with new technologies. Pace of change can be slow. Holiday allocation could be better - maybe increase your holiday allowance in line with length of service which a lot of other companies do.

6 Sep 2017 – Employee Experience Co-ordinator

Thanks for leaving a review – we really appreciate your positive feedback. It’s great to hear that you’ve had a good experience of working at SGN and we fully agree about all the fantastic people who... More

"It's a pleasure"

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great employee packages which include: Community action programme, every employee gets 1 day a year to give something back to the community. Into action, matched funding for a variety of fundraising up to £500. Variety of mentoring opportunities open to all staff. More 4 me ways to get money off. App that gives up to date information to all staff. Job opportunities, training and regular updates. Good terms and conditions. Many locations in Scotland and south, with various jobs in engineering, IT, Finance, Operations, Maintenance, Innovation, Customer, Communications, Stakeholder, Connections, Network, Gas Control etc, something for everyone. A company that gives you a real opportunity to progress.

Cons

Due to the nature of the business there is red tape, policies and sometimes things can take an enormous amount of time to achieve, but this is because SGN is highly regulated.

28 Aug 2017 – Employee Experience Co-ordinator

Thanks for taking the time to leave a positive review – it’s great to hear you’ve had such a good experience of working for SGN. We agree that there’s lots of good stuff, from our benefits offering... More

"My review"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

This job is a job for life people are nice who you work with and good pension and decent benefits

Cons

Managers are not nice treat you like dirt no thanks for working hard har hard hard hard hard hard hard hard

11 Oct 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for your contribution and feedback. We value all reviews as they help us to improve.

We’ve got some great people working at SGN and you’re right, lots of good benefits. We’re going... More

"Great benefits and great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary - fair and annual inflationary increases each year, including an annual lump sum pay award. Plus a pay grade scheme based on merit which means you have the ability to earn more with experience. Good opportunities for progression and development compared to previous employers. Good benefits - generous maternity pay, cycle2work scheme, childcare vouchers, great online portal for retail discounts, pension & death in service scheme to name a few. There are lots of great people working in SGN and it's usually a nice working atmosphere. SGN are a company committed to continuous improvement and take things like safety and employee engagement really seriously. There have been lots of positive changes even since I started three years ago. SGN are also committed to charity/community work which is great - each colleague gets a day to volunteer and help local causes. Company communications are good and they are actively looking at ways to meet the challenge of communicating with a geographical diverse and mainly field-based workforce. The new app is brilliant and really professional. There is a great recognition culture with colleagues getting regularly awarded vouchers plus an annual awards ceremony.

Cons

Like probably all big companies there can be some elements of teams working in silos. The company can be a little old fashioned regarding things like part time working and I wasn't able to secure this when I needed to (however my managers were supportive in other ways like giving me a phased return to full time, however this didn't suit my personal situation). The senior management is lacking a bit in diversity, however I do think the company are doing a lot to gradually change this dynamic and are committed to bring more diversity on board. There have been several big structural changes in our team affecting my role/job description, which is a bit unsettling. I do also think there is too much of a culture of travelling to meetings which don't need to be face to face - there could be better use of modern technology instead. This would be much more environmentally friendly and improve work/life balance for some employees.

Advice to Management

Ultimately I've taken the decision to leave SGN due to personal reasons - but I would recommend the company as an employer to others. No company is perfect but SGN are working hard on the areas where change is needed. My main advice would be to look at a more modern approach to flexible/part-time working, working from home and to avoiding travel for unnecessary face to face meetings. But also - keep up the good work!

10 Aug 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for your review. It’s great so hear so much positivity from you, it’s clear you’ve enjoyed working for SGN and I’m sorry you’ve decided to leave. You’re right that things are changing. New... More