SGN Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1. Featured Review

"Great career opportunities"

Current Employee - Resource Manager in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Resource Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Secure, professional, hardworking company, good benefits

Cons

A lot of change in roles but that's only because there is so many great opportunities for young people in the company

Advice to Management

Keep leading by example and helping me like me move up the ladder in my career with SGN. I get a lot of good advice, mentoring and coaching from my managers.

25 Jul 2017 – Employee Experience Co-ordinator

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a review. It sounds like you’ve received lots of support from your managers and that’s helping you move up the career ladder. As you’ll know, one of our... More

2. "Leading the way"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working for SGN is great. There are many opportunities for those who wish to progress within the company. The staff are highly valued and there are many ways to get rewarded for going above and beyond. SGN are leading the way in innovation.

Cons

I don't have a bad word to say about working for SGN

31 Jan 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear you enjoy working for SGN and we hope your SGN journey continues to be a positive one.

3. "Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Facilities in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Facilities in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very friendly staff, Great opportunity to advance in your career. Great benefits.

Cons

office is right next to a main road on a corner

Advice to Management

more communication

31 Jan 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for sharing your experiences of working at SGN. It’s great to hear that you enjoy working here and value our people and benefits.

Internal communications can be challenging for any... More

"Good job, Poor company"

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoy the job. Good variety of work. Good job security. Good team spirit within the department. Not much else to be honest.

Cons

Poor pay and benefits. Big divide in company terms and conditions. No one listens to your opinion. Guys out on the ground are not trusted and many managers use bully boy tactics to get there own way.

Advice to Management

Listen to your field workers instead of ignoring them. A decent benefits package, instead of the Mickey Mouse benefit package thats on offer at the moment. Pay the going rate and treat staff well, then you have a good company.

21 Feb 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear that you enjoy your job and team spirit is high.

We’re committed to continuous improvement and acting on feedback where we can... More

"A company only interested in profit and its shareholders"

Former Employee - FCO in London, England
    Former Employee - FCO in London, England

I worked at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Provides a regular wage, which can be really good if you work every hour god sends

Cons

Unhealthy working hours, no chance of progression unless your face fits, aggressive management, every moment of every day watched and scrutinized, decades of experience goes unrecognized

Advice to Management

treat the workers on the ground (the most important asset you have) with respect and improve pay and working hours

8 Feb 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for your review. It’s always disappointing to hear negative feedback, but we value and consider all reviews as we look to keep improving our workplace.

We’re making lots of changes in... More

7. "Finance"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

A stable environment, that allows for progression.

Cons

Overall benefits package is poor compared to competitors.

30 Nov 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Hopefully you’ve watched Kate’s feature on SGNApp, called In the Hot Seat. In the video, Kate mentions the ‘big ten’ HR things that we’re addressing (in... More

"Undervalued and Underpaid"

Current Employee - Engineer in Southampton, England
    Current Employee - Engineer in Southampton, England

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are a few good things; not working away and the staff in the department are good bunch of blokes.

Cons

I have been working here for a while and every year it has got worse, the pay is ridiculous for people doing the same job is £6000 difference. I’ve had enough of being underpaid and under valued. Other companies that are doing the same job have a £6000 higher basics.

Advice to Management

Start realising that you need to improve pay, terms and conditions before it’s too late.

7 Feb 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for leaving a review. We value feedback and like to respond to all reviews so apologies for the delay.

Teamwork is always a positive theme in our employee opinion surveys so it’s nice to... More

"Good company and people but some HR improvements needed"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Good people and very supportive. If you are a good worker you have a job for life.

Cons

Some departments are very bad with salary progression and putting you in the correct salary bands for your role which can be disheartening to say the least.

Advice to Management

If you ask someone to do a job at a higher salary range it should be made official and you should be paid accordingly, not still begging for the title and the salary over a year later!

22 Nov 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for your posting your review. You’re right about the people at SGN, great people and strong teamwork is a consistent positive theme from our employee engagement surveys. It’s our people that... More

"Potentially very good, currently very poor..."

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The colleagues in my department are great, job entails something different everyday as we're on the road and the job is yours for life, if you want it. These are the only reasons I stay, I want it to become the company that I know it can be....

Cons

Too many to mention... The hierarchy deems it correct that they can pay 2 people doing the same job a wage with a £6k difference... What incentive is there to stay when getting completely mugged off like that?!!! This is NOT competitive, this is offensive and the powers above are clueless how to keep a workforce happy... Other companies have much better wages, benefits packages and respect. SGN are falling to the bottom of the league and drastic changes are needed to keep the amazing staff they have... BEFORE THEY JUMP SHIP!!!!

You will see previous reviews from employees and I don't believe for one second the good ones are from staff, sounds more like a marketing/recruitment ploy from director's. I have not met one member of staff who is happy.

Any reply from SGN saying "Please bring your concerns to your manager" are a joke. They too have no power to change what is needed and in general they are very good. It's above them, the "decision makers" where the issues lie.

Advice to Management

The company make huge profits every year with minimal reward to the staff who make that profit for them.... Time to step up and prove how SGN really value their staff, because saying it doesn't cut the mustard any longer....

22 Nov 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for posting a review on Glassdoor. The reviews give us insight into areas for improvement and we welcome all feedback. We accept things are not perfect but hopefully you’ll appreciate from our... More

"Lots of good things and a few not so good, but things are moving in the right direction."

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

The people are great, in many places there's a strong family feel, and people want to deliver the best customer experience. Community involvement is high on the agenda - the CAP scheme allows everyone to spend one day each year working together to make a difference for our local communities. Some of our leaders genuinely embrace it. There's also a matched giving fund too. Recognition is done well. The SGNWay awards recognise lots of people every month. There’s a fantastic magazine with a strong people focus, as well as an App for news and blogs which is helps to communicate with harder to reach field-based workers. Anyone can blog and the company supports powerful campaigns such as Mental Health Week and International Women’s Day. Like many companies, Inclusion and Diversity is an issue. Things appear to be changing for the better but the pace of change is rather slow. Innovation is a priority and the company is leading the way in this area. Many awards have been won, not only in innovation, but also in leadership, gas safety and comms. It’s great that these are recognised across the company. Overall lots of people want to make a difference and improve things.

Cons

Not so good is IT but a Cloud and O365 migration should help. Poor network speeds and lack of good wifi across sites. Some managers’ people skills are limited. HR processes are frustrating but things are improving in this area.

Advice to Management

Be open minded to a different way of doing things, and try a few of them. Modernise the areas that need it, it’s 2017. Trust your people and have adult conversations. Communicate more from the top on strategic direction and company performance.

24 Oct 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for sharing your experience of working for SGN. It’s great to hear positivity about many of the areas we do well.

Like many companies, IT can be challenging but our O365 and Cloud... More