SGN Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.5
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "While I wouldn't guarantee this is a 'job for life' there is a degree of stability in the utility industry when compared to offshore work etc" (in 4 reviews)

• "Amazing training, management team are brilliant, never bored, great people to work with" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay and Benefits is below the benchmark" (in 3 reviews)

• "Long hours average 20hr shifts on call, disciplined if missed a call due to asleep/fatigue" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"It's a good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aldershot, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aldershot, England

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work alongside make my day, we help one another and there is always someone you can ask. The work itself is a challenge and I like a challenge.

I have been with SGN for just a short while (a year and a half) and I can honestly say that SGN have given me more than I expected. I am always hungry to learn and they have recognised this and 'fed me' and for this I will always be grateful.

Cons

Sometimes people can feel overlooked, it's a big company and you can feel as though nobody has noticed how hard you have worked everyday, a lot of good people do a good job on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Look after the 'little people' sometimes just a well done is enough to make someones day and keep them on the track to success.

29 Nov 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for the five-star review! We’re so pleased to hear that you’re enjoying life at SGN and making the most of the opportunities that are available.

The work our people do across all levels... More

2. "Stability and prospects"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Good prospects, Good stability, Good benefits, good training programme - room to progress

Cons

Can be a who you know not what you know when it comes to promotions etc

3. "Anonymous employee Orpington Depot"

Pros

People- Take pride in work but under continual stress due to many experienced staff leaving and no direction from management

Cons

Bullying /fear culture. Lack of leadership. Will not invest in any initiatives that cost money and only interested in immediate returns.

Advice to Management

Recruit some experienced staff

"Not a great place to be in"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I worked at SGN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

not a lot...just for holding a paying job

Cons

A lot, from Management to structure of the company. A lot of nepotism and favoritism. Complete disregard of staff.

21 Jan 2019 – Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of working at SGN. We’re working hard on building our brand to attract a more diverse range of candidates and we’re committed to ensuring... More

5. "A career in SGN"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An exciting innovative Company moving forward with the changing legislation and technology. Provides a diverse range of career opportunities in many different processes/work streams. Excellent training, secure employment, good benefits, competitive pay, opportunities for progression based on ability and ambition

Cons

Operates a 24/7/365 Emergency service protecting life and property, so some relevant work streams are required to work a stand by rota on call for emergencies out of hours on a rota basis for gas escapes. Compensatory rest time applies if called out with generous associated pay

19 Dec 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for your positive review. As you highlighted, there’s lots of great things about working for SGN and we’re working hard to make things even better.
    Like you mentioned, some of our... More

"Good company with good prospects if willing to work hard"

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work ethic in relation to safety. Generally management is good and training is being provided to ensure management skills are improved. If you are a hard worker SGN will invest in you and you can have a variety of opportunities to follow and create a great long-term career.

Cons

As with a lot of companies, management often should listen more to input from the workers as we all have good ideas and a voices. Although this seems to be improving and hopefully will continue to.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff- we all care and want the company to do well. It is a benefit for all.

19 Dec 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thanks a million for taking the time to leave us a review.

We really do value ideas, suggestions and feedback from our employees; it’s why we put so much emphasis recently on raising awareness of... More

"Great place to work"

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

there is lots of support and knowledge available to help you if you ask. the company really looks after its most valuable assets (the staff) and senior management are approachable.

Cons

The IT systems are still in need of bringing in line with other organisations, they are slow and very dated, I know changes have been made and since O365 has been rolled out things are looking on the up but still a long way to go.

Advice to Management

harvest as much information as you can from all the 'old school' employees, you have a massive amount of knowledge and skills walking out the door on a daily basis when they retire but nobody is harvesting and documenting that knowledge

13 Dec 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for your recent review!

As I’m sure you’ll already know, ‘putting people at the heart’ is one of our company values so it’s great to hear that you feel we’ve got this right when it... More

"It's a good place to be :-)"

Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people, a fantastic place to work !!

Cons

Sometimes having to deal with third parties is difficult, but that can happen at any place if employment.

Advice to Management

Keep rhe excellent work up listening to staff and engaging them in decisions.

26 Nov 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving us a great review. Employee feedback is so important to us so we’ll be certain to keep listening to our people and involving them where we can!

"about the company"

Current Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for, always friendly, flexible hours, near gatwick easy for train journey

Cons

near a local town not many shops to explore loads of cafe's

Advice to Management

talk and listening to your staff

22 Nov 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review, we’re proud that you consider us a great company to work for. Talking and listening to our people is hugely valuable so we’ll make sure to... More

10. "Plenty of opportunities to progress"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Progressions
    The people you work with are amazing
    Salary is decent

Cons

Management is very poor...
    Hours are not very flexible around appointments, commitments etc
    If you are sick, prepare to pay for it!

Advice to Management

Get new management in to do the job they should be doing now!!!!!

19 Dec 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Many thanks for your recent review.

We can relate to your comment about the people at SGN being amazing. It’s the people at SGN across all sites, levels and directorates that make it such a great... More