Capital One Data Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Capital One Data Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

2.8

Data Engineer Interview

Interview

Overall interview process was very smooth. During final-round, there was a "Case", which was unexpected for a technical position. The preparation material provided was for a consulting-style case, but during the interview the case was nothing like it, and it ended up being a very confusing cybersecurity question. The interview process did not reflect the position very well.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in June 2014.

Interview

hackerrank test was extremely easy, choice of language to code solution to 3 problems in 2 hours. half day in person interviews. be confident and ready to do some serious brown-nosing.

Interview Questions

• describe a conflict at a job and how did you handle it   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

Interview included a set of standard algorithms questions you'd find anywhere else in the tech industry, a nice deep dive into a specific technical issue depending on your position (in my case, dealing with data engineering), behavioral section, and a case study section (deep dive into a general issue).

Interview Questions

• Explain the how MapReduce works, and compare and contrast that with data streaming frameworks.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in July 2018.

Interview

I was called by a recruiter at Capital One. A phone interview was arranged after that with the team leader. Two days later I was told that they would arrange an on-site interview (power day).
    The on-site interview had 4 separate 1-on-1 interviews, including 1 technical, 1 behavioral, and 2 job-fit interviews. I don't think they were difficult. However, during the conversation with interviewers, I realized that none of them actually work with/in the team to which I applied for the position. The manager of the team was not involved in the interview process. That makes me believe that their interview process might be inappropriate. I could tell that both interviewers (they are software engineers) from each job-fit interview sessions did not know I was interviewing for a data engineer position because they seemed a bit surprised until I mentioned it. Maybe they thought I applied for a software engineer position?
    What annoyed me is that I was told by the manager during the phone interview the business background was trivial for this position. And yet it seemed to be the reason they reject my application. One of the feedbacks said that they felt I am like a software engineer more than a data engineer. I think it's true because I am an experienced software engineer who is seeking a career change to be a data engineer. I don't know what's wrong about that.
    I received a rejection phone call from the recruiter two days later.
    By the way, although the whole on-site interview was very unusual, the recruiter was really awesome. She really knows her job very well.

Interview Questions

• What's the benefit after Capital One acquired INGD? (tech interview)   Answer Question
    • An 'if' condition programming with some logic errors. (tech interview)   1 Answer
    • Do you know BI/BO? (Job fit interview by a software engineer)   Answer Question
    • Given some stock trading requirements (sell order, buy order, company names, third-party user operation...), try to design the data structure and provide classes for it. (Job fit interview by a software engineer)   1 Answer
    • Which Python package you used for data engineer. (Job fit interview)   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your experience on AWS.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Tysons, VA (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

Incredibly long process, got passed between 3 hiring managers and did 7 in person interviews. 2 case interviews, 1 behavioral interview, 4 job fit interviews. Was told I did exceptionally in many of the interviews. Didn't get an offer. Wouldn't recommend as a woman in tech.

Interview Questions

• Questions were varied between technical and personal experience with problem solving in many ways.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

Was flown out to Richmond for a power day that consisted of 3 hour long interviews. One interview was for Behavioral which was your generic interview to see if you fit within in the culture. The second is a case interview to test your analytical skills. The final interview is a tech interview depending on the position you are going for.

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Received an email requesting a phone interview. Scheduled it for the next week. The engineer called me in a big, empty room and talked to me on speaker phone. I had a difficult time understanding what he was saying, and he wasn't sure what to do when I brought it up (there was no handset in the room). I struggled through it, but it was a nuisance.

The interview felt cold. He asked me basic questions at the beginning that let me know he hadn't seen my application or resume. The rest of the interview was like taking a quiz. 3 questions about Java, 3 about Python, 3 about Hadoop, etc. My recruiter said this would be approximately a 30 minute interview, but it lasted longer than 45 minutes. Follow up from the recruiter 2 days later saying they wouldn't be moving forward.

Interview Questions

• What is the contract you should follow when writing a .equals method in Java.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)).

Interview

It was really smooth and everyone was nice. No first round interview, I was just flown out and put in a nice hotel for the night. Next day a bunch of TDP interviewees were grouped together and we all had lunch with some full time software engineers and got to ask them questions. Then we had 3 45-minute interviews - case, technical, and behavioral. Interviewers were really nice and helped you out.

Interview Questions

• Technical was relatively easy compared to other companies. Case was a little tricky. Behavioral was straightforward.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in August 2016.

Interview

I applied late at night a few weeks ago, and was woken up next morning by a very enthusiastic recruiter. I told her to call me back in 30 minutes as she had just woken me up, and I needed to think straight. She called me back promptly, and we spoke for about an hour. She explained the process and said that she'd be submitting my resume to some panel and one of the teams might select my resume to move ahead. Next day comes around, and the AML (Anti Money Laundering) team has selected my resume. We decide on availability and a date and time is set. 3 PM EST. And I'm in CA, so it's noon for me. Noon comes and goes and no call. I email them to find out that the Software Engineer got pulled into a meeting and would call me at 4 PM PST. I already had a bad feeling, but could do nothing, because I was going on vacation and wouldn't be back till next week. The risk of a 4 PM interview was obvious. It's the time when work is winding down and people wanna go home. Rather than postpone, since I was all prepped and ready, I said 4 PM is fine. An Indian guy calls, and without really asking about my resume, dives into the first (and only) technical question: If I have a table with columns a, b and c, how can I get the following counts: count of all a's where a is null, b's where b is null and so on for c, a and b, b and c, a and c and a, b and c, in a single scan of a table. I immediately think of the CASE statement. I mess it up a bit by not quite remembering that we can do a COUNT(CASE(... )), but I get there, and he's like, "No". I'm trying to think aloud and give him answers, but he said it wouldn't work, and just kept quiet. In fact, after telling him my solution, he was quiet for so long that I thought the line had gotten disconnected. He then asked me stuff about my resume, and what I'd done. But that question kept gnawing at me because I knew I was at least half-right, if not more, and I knew I was losing him, and so I said, "Can we go back to the question?". He said okay, and then I told him that we could do a COUNT(CASE()) and get his results. He still said nothing more than, "It won't work". Then he said, "Okay, what if there were many columns, and they kept changing. You wouldn't change your query right? How would you do this programmatically?". So I said, I would query the metadata to get the basic row count information, and the number of columns. Once you have the number of columns, you can form your query for each column and run that to get your counts. Silence. I said, "Uhm.. Hello?". He said, "It's okay. Do you have any questions for me?". By this time, I'd lost all interest in the interview myself, but asked him, "Sure! What does you team do?" Typically, this would involve telling the candidate what the team does at a high level and then drill down in the technicalities, if need be. He said, "We perform aggregations on Hive and we use Java and Python, but mostly Java." Not quite what I was expecting, but I was like, "Whatever". The call ended and so did my misery.

I had very serious thoughts of emailing the recruiter and withdrawing from consideration. I wouldn't have wanted this kind of team/team mate. However, since I was going on vacation, I just waited instead for the rejection email to come. It duly arrived on Monday, and yesterday, the very friendly recruiter called me to give more feedback and after she was done, I unloaded on her and told her pretty much whatever I've typed here, and said that I don't think I'd want to apply to Capital One again given this experience. Once bitten, twice shy and all. She apologized for the negative experience and thanked me to bring it to her attention. Not sure if she'll actually tell the team, but I couldn't care less. I'm done with this company.

Interview Questions

• If I have a table with columns a, b and c, how can I get the following counts: count of all a's where a is null, b's where b is null and so on for c, a and b, b and c, a and c and a, b and c, in a single scan of a table.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through an employee referral and on-campus. Process took about 6 weeks before they emailed me back. I had a direct "final" interview that was 3 hours long and was on campus. The interview was split into three parts: technical, case study, and behavioral. The case study is technically based and isn't very similar to the practice one that Capital One provides online. Although it took a long time before they reached out to me, I was able to get my offer about a few hours after my interview was over.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.