Capital One Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Capital One Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

2.9

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

I was introduced to Capital One through a recruiter. Overall it was a wonderful process, very professional thought at times they definitely kept me waiting. From first conversation to offer letter was approximately 5 months.

I went through a total of 6 interviews, in addition to various discussions as well. My final and 6th interview was the "power day" where I went on-site at McLean for 2 behavioral and 2 job fit/technical rounds.

The interviews became increasingly more specific, the first 3 focused on general information and career pursuits/passion etc. After my 3rd interview I was given the option to complete an untimed take-home assignment. Upon completion I was scheduled a 4th interview with 2 engineers, talking about technologies and preferences. 5th was with my team lead, and 6th on-site.

My on-site visit was very pleasant, beautiful office, friendly staff. There were 4 interviews, each approximately 40 minutes. The 2 behavioral interviews were fun and typical STAR format questions. The 2 job fit/technical rounds were whiteboard challenges with difficulties similar to the easier problems in CTCI.

I told a few hours after the on-site that I got the job, from there negotiated compensation package, background check, then onboarding.

It was a very rewarding experience, the compensation package is competitive but DO YOUR RESEARCH so you can negotiate properly. I recommend ramit sethi youtube vids.

Interview Questions

• Given a "command" object, which contains one of 3 possible function types(add, delete, undo), an int length, and str char. Implement a function to parse commands and take appropriate actions on a string.   Answer Question
  • Given a string, implement a function to determine if it has matching/balanced brackets.   Answer Question
  • Given a set of endpoints, implement a REST api on a node server(take home test).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One (Seattle, WA (US)) in December 2017.

Interview

Applied online for a position in Seattle, got a response from a recruiter that a hiring manager will be calling for a 30 mins technical interview related to my professional experience. I followed the DevExchange engineering blog by CapitalOne developers and was excited to talk about some of the challenging problems I had solved related to their domain. I looked up hiring manager's profile and he seems to be around technology for a long time and he also worked as a tech lead at a software giant before joining Capital one, naturally I had high expectations on the depth of problem we were going to solve. So, here's how the call went:

"Hello, I have X number of questions that I'm just going to read" and he just did that, no introductions, nothing about the opportunity or team. All very basic class vs interface type questions, JavaScript, AWS and SQL questions. I think I answered about 90% of them and try to explain why I don't remember some of the answers on top of my head. I guess he was expecting 100% exact answers that he was looking for.

I was hoping he would at least be professional and leave some time for answering any questions that I had about product, company, technology, etc.. but nope just said Good Bye and hung up. Not sure how he went on to become a manager, may be I'm missing something here but I'm glad I wasn't selected to next rounds to waste each other's time.

Interview Questions

• Very basic object oriented, SQL, JavaScript   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in June 2017.

Interview

it was first telephonic for an hour, followed by onsite interview.
    Onsite interview includes 2 behavioral rounds and 2 technical rounds.
    behavioral round focuses on a multiple questions on work challenge from the past, how you deal with it (action), what difference it made (result)

Interview Questions

• sample behavioral questions include
      technical hurdle you faced, how you overcame it?
      differences with your peer/manager, how it was sorted out etc.

technical interview was focused on latest continuous integration, cloud, multi threading etc.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (Vienna, VA (US)) in August 2014.

Interview

online exam followed by phone screen and four face to face interviews. the interviews include technical and behavioral. The questions involve deep dive of the topics mentioned in the resume

Interview Questions

• Core Java, webservices, Angular js , AWS , j2ee   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I applied for an Android developer position. Overall I found the interview to be one of the best I’ve gone through. I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. He asked me to submit my resume and a few days later I participated in a phone screen with him. He sent my resume to the hiring manager and the next day I was told that they wanted to setup a technical interview. I had the technical interview a week later. Their technical interview was a combination of rounds 2 (coding challenge) and 3 (technical conversation). I was told I did well in their technical interview and an in-person interview was set up two weeks later.

The in-person interview was in between easy and medium difficulty. There was four rounds. One was behavioral, one was pair-programming, one was a general business question/evaluate some code and the last was a rapid fire QA session. The pair-programming was a bit challenging because you had to learn their software on the fly but the interviewer I worked with was very informative and I was able to produce the desired result. I was asked a lot of questions during the QA session.

I left the interview confident and was surprised to hear that they were going to pass on my candidacy. They provided feedback for why they were passing and I appreciate that they left feedback.

Interview Questions

• The technical interview had me write code in java for whether a word was a palindrome and then whether parentheses were balanced.   Answer Question
    • The pair-programming question was about taking data they setup and displaying it on the emulator and then filtering the data.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolling Meadows, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One (Rolling Meadows, IL (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process started with a very professional approach but ended being unprofessional. Overall, the experience was good, but it could be better.
    I applied for a Mainframe Sr software engineer role in Feb 2016 for Chicago location. Initially, I got a call from the recruiter (the recruiter was just great!). She asked for a copy of my resume and a couple of basic job related questions. Then I got an email with an online assessment link. The exam was 12 multiple choice questions followed by 3 coding questions. After this, I received email from recruiter that I passed the exam and they want a telephonic interview. The telephonic interview was purely technical with questions based on past projects and some mainframe/cobol. After this, they scheduled a face to face round. They provided the airline tickets, hotel and a luxury cab. I must say that I was impressed till here.

The interview day was not good. There were 4 rounds with different managers. They were all confused. 3 of them were not even mainframe engineers. They read questions from a printed sheet and recorded my answers in the same. each round was 45 mins long. Most of the questions were behavioral and only the last manager asked me technical ones. Two of them were not even aware of the position I applied for.

I applied for a technical lead in development area position, but on the interview day, one of the managers told me that they are interviewing for production support. This was totally unprofessional. I said a big 'No' for support as I never worked in support and dont want either. They could have told this at the very beginning and I would not have wasted my time.

My advice for the mainframe applicants -
    *********** Capital one is doing away with mainframe and most of the work they have is just production support***** (I got this info from current employees while eating my lunch in cafeteria)***********
    Eventually, all mainframe will shut down in the company.

Interview Questions

• Just prepare what is present in document sent by recruiter.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

For every software role they are conducting a online test. I was preparing for Amazon and Google so felt the question were cake walk.
    After first round I had a telephonic interview , which was focused mostly on basic java questions. No tricks no trivia. Once I cleared the second round I went to the VA campus had four rounds of interview , 2 behavioral rounds two tech rounds. Tech rounds were the easiest interview I ever had. Basic java question. The Sr manager was asking questions from a print out. I asked to write the singleton class which I did in 4 ways.

Interview Questions

• difference between abstract class and interface.
      various questions about class path.
      spring bean life cycles.
      spring DI.
      Aspect oriented programming.
      spring context.
      difference between REST and SOAP   Answer Question

Interview was way too easy for a Sr software engineer, work might be monotonous.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

Initial phone contact by HR, followed by online coding assessment via HackerRank. This part was very simple. I then was contacted by the lead engineer who gave another technical phone screen, and was invited onsite for an interview. The on-site interview consisted of 4 persons for one hour each: 1 behavioral interview, two whiteboarding interviews, and one other non-whiteboarding technical interview. The whiteboarding exercises were of average difficulty.

My negative experience is that not once during these interviews did the interviewers point out any specifics in the code that was being written - they were not engaged in a dialogue, they were observers. The single vague reason for my rejection was that they needed a person with more experience, but I couldn't even get an answer if that meant years of experience or if there were certain skills I could improve on. I was encouraged to apply for other jobs at the company, but without a fair evaluation of my strengths and weaknesses from these observers, this is a waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to count the most frequently used letter in a string.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied to couple of Senior Software Eng position one in December 2015 and one in Jan 2016. After 3 + months, HR sends an email to share my availability for phone screen for the position applied in Dec 2015.

Within a week after my reply, they scheduled 30 mins interview with Hiring manager and was told, Hiring manager will call me. on Interview day, Hiring manger didn't call. Upon checking with HR, they rescheduled. Interviewer asked question and I answered ALL the questions. Felt interviewer is also happy with my answers. After couple of days, just automated email saying "Not considered for the position". I wonder how they decided when my phone screen performance is good.

After couple of weeks (Mid april 2016) of this incident, same HR contacted for another role which I applied in Jan 2016. Same phone screening, Interview went very well again. But automated email saying "not considered".

I realized, This process happens just for eye-wash. They might have already closed the position. Instead of closing in system, they just send automated email. Just because I responed, they had to schedule interview and said "Not considered".

It is just waste of time from my end to attend this call. If they get back to you after 3-4 months of application, just ignore those mail. You could save your time

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)).

Interview

The Entire Hiring experience was good but long. Online Test-> Phone Screen ->D-Day(3 technical and one behavioral round). All the interviewers were very really knowledgeable . The questions were not overly complicated but were more practical and not straight from books. So if you have really worked on the technologies that you have in your resume, you will be fine.
    Anyone who has relevant experience should be able to clear the interviews. The whole process took around 4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Sorting algorithms, Multi threading, Binary tree, Design patterns.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.