Capital One Software Engineer(Internship) Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Find jobs for Software Engineer(Internship)

Capital One Software Engineer(Internship) Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

2.8

Software Engineer Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL (US)) in November 2013.

Interview

I had an interview on campus that consisted of mostly "Describe a situation when..." for me I found this relatively easy, some people I talked to found them difficult though.

I then was asked to go to Virginia for their final round of interviews, they seemed to ask roughly half of those they interviewed to the final round. There I had three separate interviews Case, Behavioral, and Technical. The Case was reasonably simple, but I actually ended up screwing up a bit at the end. The technical questions and behavioral were pretty easy. The technical question was essentially, write a program where you are given a string and find the substring.

Over all it was a pretty nice interview process and they make sure you're completely comfortable. They even let you talk to employees at a restaurant before the interviews so you are more relaxed.

Interview Questions

• Why do you like programming?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Because it was an internship it was difficult to negotiate, however they did give me my preferred location.

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Software Engineer Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)).

Interview

Initially spoke to recruiters at a career fair at my university. I hit it off with one of the recruiters, and she took my information. I applied for an on campus interview through my school's career center.

On campus interview was a 45 minute session. Spoke to the recruiter about technology/programming in general. He asked some standard behavioral questions. Got an email an hour after the on campus inviting me to second rounds in Richmond.

Richmond interview had three parts- behavioral, case interview, and job fit (technical interview). Fairly standard technical interview for Sofware Engineering positions. Case interview was more business based (scenario driven, perform calculations, make recommendations). Behavioral was fairly standard, with some "tell me about a project when...".

Interview Questions

• Nothing too too terrible. Was a bit thrown off by the way the Case Interviewer started asking questions. Once I understood what she was actually asking, it wasn't a difficult case to analyze. Overall felt fairly average throughout the interview, not great, not terrible. Got a call two days later with an offer.   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in September 2018.

Interview

Three on-campus back to back interviews to serve as final round interview. Behavioral interview, case interview, and job fit (technical) interview. Turnaround time on decision was less than one day.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Capital One conduced interviews on my campus. They were three back to back 45 minute interviews, consisting of a case, technical, and behavioural interview.

Case Interview: The case interview is a walkthrough of a business problem with a lot of math involved. (e.g. given two vendors who charge things at different prices and different conversion rates, decide the better one to pick). As long as you can communicate with your interviewer to get to the solution you should be fine.

Technical: Behavioural portion, followed by one object oriented design question, two Leetcode easies.

Behavioral: Roughly four "Tell me about a time when" questions. Be prepared for these and come up with good examples.

Interview Questions

• Q: Given a string of words and a pattern string, find if the words match the pattern

Q: Make a deep copy of a linked list with an extra pointer that can point to any other node.   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Interview

Had an on-campus interview. Lasted about 2 and a half hours. Went through 45 mins of behavioral, 45 mins technical, 45 mins case. They switched interviewers each time and I did my coding question online on a google doc.

Interview Questions

• Give a time when you had to explain something technical to a non-technical person.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Fast internship process: no phone screen, just an on-site with three parts: job fit, behavioral, and case interview. I got the decision back the day after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you explained a tech concept to a non-tech person.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

There were three interview sections, Behavioral (where they ask you common behavioural questions to get to know your experiences), Technical (where you get asked a couple of questions [3] involving programming and logical thinking), and Case (where you're asked about your opinion and steps you should take on solving a problem).

Interview Questions

• How would you conceptually design a banking system that does x?   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

There are 3 sections, a behavioral section, a case study section, and a technical section. Technical section was the hardest, with the case study and behavioral mainly a test of whether the candidate can communicate effectively.

Interview Questions

• Given a binary tree, remove all subtrees in which node values are all 0.
      Given a currency amount, what is the smallest amount of bills you can split it into?
      Ex $125 would be 1 100, 1 20, and 1 5 dollar bill.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Couldn't make the on-campus interview so I was flown out to Richmond, VA. I had a behavioral interview (standard questions from glassdoor), case interview, and a job fit interview. The case interview started off with questions about why CapOne might choose one process over another and then I was given a piece of code and asked to explain what it does. The bulk of my case interview was spent on how I would explain this code to upper management. I wasn't really sure what he was asking because he just kept telling me that a VP might not understand. In the end, what he really wanted was me to write out a truth table to explain to the VP..

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I talked to Capital One at my university's career fair and was later invited to a final round interview. This consisted of three 45 minutes interviews: case, technical, behavioral. I got the offer a couple days after the interview. Overall, it was a well-organized, positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you explained a technical concept to someone.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.