Capital One Technology Development Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Find jobs for Technology Development Program

Capital One Technology Development Program Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

2.7

Technology Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

Interviewed on campus (Richmond, VA). Super day consisted of 3 interviews; one job fit, one case, one behavioral. Job fit was a couple of coding questions, case was more math applied to a business scenario related to CapitalOne, and behavioral was relaxed, just a conversation about resume, etc. They also take you on a tour of the office and have lunch with current/past program participants and other employees.

Interview Questions

• Data structures (stacks, linked lists)
    How much money did you save by switching between two different providers (case)   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through university. For TDP / software engineers, they skip 1st round interviews and just invite a select few out for final rounds. Capital One flew me out to their Richmod, VA office about a month after applying. There were 3 total interviews, case->behavioral->technical.

Case was very easy for me as I am also going through strategy consulting interviews. Behavioral was the same as always, technical focused on data structures and object-oriented-design.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you would explain a technical topic to someone who no relevant experience in the field.   2 Answers

Technology Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in September 2016.

Interview

As others have said, it's a three part interview: case, behavioral, and technical. Each part contains three questions. The behavioral part is nothing difficult, if you look at sample behavioral questions online you can get a good idea of what to expect; I would advise to have a few good stories worth taking about. They are more interested in your communication abilities (and following guidelines; i.e the SAR method which I discuss below). The case interview is also the same, nothing difficult they just want to get a feel for your thought process; the entire time they want to see how you might fit into their team so you want to give them the impression that you're someone they'd love to work with. Final, the technical interview IS a little tough if you don't have a non-computer science background (like myself), so definitely spend a lot of time here if need be. They will almost definitely ask you a systems design question, so familiarize yourself with basic OOP concepts and best practices.

Interview Questions

• Explain something technical to someone non-technical (what they want here is to use the SAR method - situation, action, results). So don't just say "well, I would use analogies and visual aids." You need to be thorough and demonstrate an instance where you had to explain something technical and how you were able to get it across to someone non-techy.   2 Answers

Technology Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

I was pushed to the final round immediately after connecting with the recruiter at a campus career fair. The interview took place at HQ in McLean and they flew me in the night before. The interview was straightforward with three rounds covering behavioral, job-fit, and technical.

The technical spanned 3 questions on CS concepts like linked lists, sorting, etc.

The job-fit was also technical but involved analyzing a encryption terminal command and answer questions on use and maybe further design decisions.

The behavioral was more casual and similar to other non-technical interviews I have had.

The feeling I got from Capital One is that there is a strong interest in continued education and innovation -- they want to see this. I got an answer within three days.

Interview Questions

• How would you take two linked lists and sort think into one?   1 Answer
    • Give us an example of a project you are most proud of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

Went great, everybody was very courteous and I really enjoyed speaking with each interviewer. I had the case study interview for my final one and the guy was noticeably more cold than the previous interviewers, thought I completely bombed the final interview but I ended up getting the offer so I'm pretty sure this was just a tactic to see how applicants do under pressure.

Interview Questions

• Sort an unsorted list of logs into easy, medium, high.   1 Answer
    • Find the k-th to last element in a linked list.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online, got a email back, went in to their Richmond campus with a bunch of others and interviewed. Everything is very detailed in the information they give you.

3 Parts: Case, Behaviorial (past experiences), Job Fit.

Technology Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One in October 2015.

Interview

I applied through my school's careers site and landed an on-campus interview. The 3 hour interview consisted of three 1-hour sessions with three different people. There was a case interview, a technical interview, and a behavioral interview. Overall it was very smooth, the interviewers were both nice and helpful. The technical interview especially was on the easier side. As I was applying for a software position, I was not used to the case interview style. However they have instructional videos through their careers site which help you prepare. All-in-all it was a very good and well-run process - a few hours after the interviews were over I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• What challenges have you faced in previous projects and how did you overcome them?   1 Answer

Technology Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Austin, TX (US)).

Interview

I came in through a referral and from a target school (Berkeley) of Capital One's TDP Program. As a result, I was expedited to a final round interview and flown to Texas for a full day. The interview consisted of 3 parts - behavioral, case question, and technical. The technical question was extremely easy to solve as compared to other Bay Area tech company interviews, and it seems like they deemphasized technical prowess in favor of job fit and overall team-working ability. However every other aspect of the interview went smoothly, the recruiter was communicative and no obstacles with the process itself.

Interview Questions

• Given list of classes for 1 person, design an algorithm to return the optimal schedule.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied through Campus Career Fair and also online on their website. The interview process was really smooth. After a brief talk with the HR via phone, I was quickly selected for the on-site interview. The people were really friendly and the work culture was great. I got my results within 2-3 days. Overall the entire process took 2 to 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• The initial phone call with the HR was mostly about my Resume and questions about why I would be a good fit.
      The onsite interview had 3 rounds - 1)Behavioral (The STAR approach), 2)Case Interview (where they provide a business case and you have to give qualitative and quantitative analysis, no technical knowledge needed, just basic quant math.) and 3)Job-fit Interview (which was a proper programming oriented technical interview, no particular language was a requirement, mostly DS and Algo questions with design and OOP concepts).   Answer Question

Technology Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

I received a phone call inviting me to Plano TX. They flew me in and had 3 interviews, case, behavioral and technical. The case interviewer came in late to the interview, very unprofessional and was very impatient with my answers. The behavioral & technical one was simple and straightforward.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.