Edelman Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Richard W. Edelman
1,159 Ratings

1,672 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "care for their people; work life balance is respected from the top down" (in 92 reviews)

• "Incredibly smart people who are at the cutting edge of the industry" (in 106 reviews)

1. "Account manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience for career in public relations

Cons

Workload pressure can be overwhelming

Advice to Management

Support staff to carry out their responsibilities

2. "A great place to learn and grow professionally"

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enriching, supportive, and inspiring work environment. Top pick of jobs out of my post-graduate degree and I couldn’t be happier with this environment for launching my career. The work demands a high standard of excellence, pushing employees to deliver forward thinking, creative and innovative work. Feel intellectual challenged and inspired by the type of work we take on.

Cons

Demanding and fast-paced work environment with low pay, limited bonus/compensation opportunities.

3. "Good Network, Non Competitive Salaries"

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Good network to build opportunities; interesting work

Cons

Non Competitive Salaries which makes work demotivating

25 Oct 2018 – Edelman

I'm happy you enjoyed the work and experience, but it's unfortunate to hear that compensation was a demotivator for you. While we care about paying people competitively and utilize external market... More

"Edelman Healthcare"

Former Employee - Account Director in London, England
    Former Employee - Account Director in London, England

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge international network and great experts from around world, big corporate clients and interesting work and some talented people

Cons

User unfriendly financial systems and very long hours for fairly average pay; no clear progression path in my speciality; heavy HR demands (loads of onerous '360 degree' team reviews) demands and lack of flexibility from HR department on changing status of my contract.

Advice to Management

Cut down work and hours pressure on junior staff to work long hours; be more flexible on contracts and time out options

5. "Vice President"

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Great hub. Interesting work and good exposure to UK and global markets.
    Good opportunities to grow professionally and climb the corporate ladder.

Cons

Internal politics can be considerably daunting.

13 Sep 2018 – Edelman

Thanks for your review! Glad to hear you're enjoying your work, the network and have experienced promising growth opportunities. Maria O'Keeffe, Executive Director, US HR

6. "Account Manager"

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros

Creative dynamic people to work around.

Cons

Can be very stressful and heavy workload.

7. "Edelman is"

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Challenging, but stimulating environment to be in

Cons

Hierarchical, and demanding of time and energy

"Run as fast as you can - toxic and damaged culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities: Edelman is a huge name and you’ve got to give credit where credit is due. It opens up avenues and channels to speak with incredibly talented and bright people. The smartest people I have ever worked with and encountered. Switched on. The drive to succeed is there and it’s great to work with such passionate people. “It’s the people” is a phrase you’ll hear endlessly, but it’s true.

Cafeteria: The catering and hospitality staff are just absolutely wonderful people! The food they produce is scrumptious. Whether you are wheat free, nut free – anything, you name it – they have something for you. You’ll never be hungry. Just another way of keeping staff in the office working and never away from their emails.

Work events: Lots of big-budget Christmas/Summer events like treasure hunts is a great chance to get to know people from other departments.

Clients: Great roster of clients.

Flexibility: Can work from home. This all depends on what department you’re in.

Training: Lots of it on offer. Often there is a lack of time to attend but with effective planning you can do it! Make sure you have the time to go or you can make a lot of stakeholders (internal and external) very cross with you.

Cons

Culture: This is by far the most toxic working environment I have ever been exposed to. If you want to feel like a resource rather than a human being then please sign up.

- Long hours is the “Edelman way”. The ‘Always On’ culture is the “Edelman way”. ‘Cancel your plans you’re working until 11pm and will be back at your desk for 7am’ is the “Edelman way”. For juniors in particular, this often means that they are working for less than the minimum wage – #exploitation

- Sorry, what’s that, you have a life and a personality? Well forget that. You’ll soon be made to feel worthless and your personality removed as you succumb to ridiculous bureaucracy. Felt like a slave.

- The hierarchy is a joke. “Their pay grade is higher than mine” attitude means often things just don’t get done in time making the whole PR process inefficient.

- Unreasonable deadlines promised to the client, which will have you lying awake at 2am thinking about what you have left on your list

- Is it 1999? Why is so much communication still done via email and messenger?

Diversity: In some ways the company is diverse. It depends on what team you are on. Gender, socio-economic background, race and disability are all areas that Edelman needs to go back to the drawing board and address. It is elitist. It is the global elite and at times this is propagated by the recruitment referral scheme which means that the company becomes about “who you know” rather than a “what strengths you have” environment.

High Turnover: Hard to ignore especially amongst juniors irrespective of what department you’re on. The disappearance of life outside the office might have something to do with it, alongside the nasty way in which management and external stakeholders speak to juniors. There are one or two bad eggs who like the furniture have been there so long they think they run the place. They need to be kept in check.

Don’t Believe the Hype: Professional PR company that knows how to PR itself. Sans ‘Deportivo’ (an acquisition), the digital capabilities at Edelman are lacking and so is innovation. It’s an old school PR shop, simple as that. Quick turnaround means the work is rarely up to scratch.

Overall – run, run, run as fast as you can for your sanity, your pride and your life. Don't look back.

Advice to Management

Listen: Those who have been there too long are dogmatic with their ideas. Given the high turnover, it’s a shame that all the fresh ideas from the constant flow of new recruits are rarely absorbed.

Look After Yourself: Your employees witness your stress levels rise and the long hours that you pull. You’ll be much more effective and come across as rational when people can see that you have obviously had a good night’s sleep and are happy.

Training: Management need constant training on how to be nice and have empathy for your staff. In the heat of the moment and all the stress of responding to every outlandish request from stakeholders can often result in swearing, shouting and aggressive emails that land in the laps of juniors. Basic training reminding management on how to be nice people when it’s busy or a stressful time wouldn’t go amiss.

Reminder: “It’s the Edelman way” is not an excuse for bad management, poor behaviour and a toxic culture.

"You learn a lot but you need to work hard"

Former Employee - Associate Director in London, England
    Former Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You learn a lot fast as you are given opportunities here to work on big campaigns and across a range of disciplines. Your peers and team will largely be fantastic and become a family.

Cons

Bad work life balance and if you’re on the Brand team you will frequently be under resourced. There are a few people that are rude and too old school but there aren’t many left.

Advice to Management

Stop putting money and financial targets before staff wellbeing.

"Account director"

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work on exciting brands.

Cons

I've seen a lot of bullying - especially towards foreigners - in a way I've never had to witness before in my life.

The environment in the London office is toxic. Only a certain type of people advance - hint: they're the same crop as the top management.

Advice to Management

Reward work, not preferences.

30 May 2018

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that we provide you with the opportunity to work on exciting brands, however, your comments regarding bullying, the environment and progression... More

Showing 1,672 of 1,858 reviews