Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE Systems/Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE Systems/Software Engineer Interview Questions

2.8

19 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE (Houston, TX (US)) in August 2015.

Interview

Easy Interview with less technical questions, no algorithms or data structures. Just based on gut feel of interviewer. Minor java questions about what is an interface. Another interviewer just described what work is related to.

Interview Questions

• Describe your previous work experience.
    Why you want to work as Systems Software Engineer.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE (New York, NY (US)) in August 2016.

Interview

I joined as an intern ( campus recruitment ) while I was doing my Bachelor's in Computer Science. I worked on cloud-based POC during my internship. Followed by that, I was looking for a job and came across a job opening in another lab which was core-cloud team of HPE, Bangalore. Thereafter an interview was scheduled with a manager of the cloud team.

Interview Questions

• Various components of openstack, since I worked on a cloud POC during my internship. Linux basic commands, other components included in POC, and few SQL queries.   Answer Question

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE in June 2018.

Interview

E-mail screen from internal recruiter, answered a few short questions with 2-3 sentence answers.

Followed by phone screen with internal recruiter, fairly standard qualification questions - background, fit, offered information about the job, team, company, and so on.

Then phone screen with manager, I was impressed that this felt like a two way dialog and not a cold or impersonal quiz. Manager was very open about team's current challenges, talked in depth about the tech stack used, areas the team wants to improve, etc., appeared to be genuinely interested in getting to know my personality, motivation, approach to working as a team, as well as prior projects I've worked on and technical skills.

Then phone panel interview with engineers on this team, asked about previous projects, technical experience, what I think about different development methodologies. Only a few "hard" technical questions, some I could answer and some I could not. Since I understood this role to require a very broad technical skill-set, I (correctly) did not think this would be a problem. Later, I've learned one of the key things they were looking for is curiosity and drive.

I think talking about the various projects, both primary job and side-project that I've worked on, helped convince them that I could tackle the whole range of things this team is tasked with doing.

A soft offer was made within about a week of the phone panel, followed by about a week and a half of casual negotiations, including a handful of phone calls with the internal recruiter and manager.

Unfortunately, some internal corporate politics created a great deal of unnecessary stress - but the manager and internal recruiter were very supportive and open about the process, which actually increased my confidence in working for this team.

Finally received a hard offer, we all agreed on terms, completed background check (employment verification, criminal history, etc.), and hired on.

Interview Questions

• Describe your contribution to a recent software engineering project you worked on.   1 Answer

Systems/Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE in February 2016.

Interview

Heard back rather quickly after I applied online. The phone screening wasn't that hard, just went over my resume and typical behavioral questions. Was asked back for an interview with a panel and it wasn't that very difficult.

Systems/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE (Plano, TX (US)) in January 2012.

Interview

very informal and fast. first did a phone interview and then had an onsite interview with several of the team members that i would wind up working for. included questions on fitting into the culture and also general programming skills

Interview Questions

• various questions regarding software and hardware expertise   1 Answer

Negotiation

none ... good offer

Systems/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aguadilla, PR (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE (Aguadilla, PR (US)).

Interview

Got a call from one of the engineers, who said they were interested in my resume. Had one phone screen where I got asked general object oriented questions, and an onsite interview that lasted about two hours, which involved coding on a whiteboard, explaining the roles of different networking hardware, and figuring out what a snippet of code is doing by looking at it. Got called about a month later for the offer.

Interview Questions

• Name the different parts of a network system and explain their role.   Answer Question

Systems/Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE in July 2015.

Interview

I don't recommend any body to waste your time to prepare interview in HPE. Whole recruitment process took 2.5 months. They don't know how to respect employees time and effort. HR people are very busy, They don't even care about your problems. You need to beg them to process your Onboarding. They don't provide any information to new employees unless until you send them loads of emails. They even forget about your start date and when you email them regarding your start date then they will give you another new start date. You need to be very patient to join in HPE after getting the offer, because of HR team busy schedule you need to be unemployed for months also.
    I really don't have any words to appreciate them for their negligence.

Systems/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE (Fort Collins, CO (US)) in August 2016.

Interview

I was contacted through email to do phone interview with my prospective employer. The phone interview consisted mostly of me describing projects and experience in the technical field with not actual technical questions. After the phone interview I was contacted by a representative to do an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of three separate interviews, two technical and one non-technical. After the interviews I was contacted two weeks later with an offer letter.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay up to date in programming and software development?   Answer Question
    • You are hosting a party with 1000 bottles of wine and 10 servants, however, one of the bottles has been poisoned. How do you determine, using the servants, which bottle of wine is poisoned?   3 Answers
    • You have three covered jars of marbles, each labeled incorrectly. One is labeled black, one is labeled white, and the other is labeled mixed. Picking only one marble from one jar how do you determine the correct labeling?   1 Answer
    • Write a method to traverse a binary tree in level-order.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was already working as an intern so they were more willing to negotiate with me for the position. I would recommend negotiating until you feel they will no longer accept you. I was able to bump a low offer into an acceptable range by being persistent. Show them your value and stress your ability to accomplish great things.

Software Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE in February 2017.

Interview

Firstly there was online test with some MCQ only no programming question.
    Then, there 3 round of interviews
    First one was tech.
    Second was with manger
    Third was with HR
    The MCQ question was for checking your concept on your programming languages
    and Manger round was like present some idea to sell.

Interview Questions

• Simple Question
      Like DBMS concept ,Operating System , Networking   Answer Question

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE in November 2015.

Interview

Telephonic interview followed by face to face interview. Mostly interview focused on technical and protocol internals, system programming. Technical questions were related to hash, queue, linked list, binary trees, system architecture.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.