Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE Interview Questions

Updated 19 Jul 2018

2.8

Corporate Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

I had 1 interview with the Director of the area, it went really well and it was very conversational. Typical TMAY and some sharp qualitative questions where thrown. Round two was in their office, very quantitative and not sure if fair. They came in with a case and expected I to ask questions that would make them provide extra data. I asked the wrong questions, the ones for what they didn't have data, so it didn't go well.

Interview Questions

• How would you generate profit if you were CEO of HPE for a day?   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Interview

From the basic premise of a need to change, to using agile methods for design and feedback, to rolling it all out. They really are walking the talk when it comes to how best to provide feedback in a fast-moving, social enviroment. While the outside debate rages on about the value of performance management systemshas done something about it, and has spent time listening to em…

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE (Berkeley, CA (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

2 Interviews

Interview 1 -> Behavioral Interview. They described the product the team is working on and what jobs and roles an intern might fulfill. Behavioral questions like hardest bug and asked questions about resume and on relevant topics listed under the qualifications.

Interview 2 -> Technical Interview. Ask about Agile programming, RESTful API, OOP, OOD, Testing, Full Stack

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I received an acceptance call but haven't been given the the offer yet. Will update this review when I get the offer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE (Roseville, CA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process consisted of an info session, a managerial interview, and a "technical screening" interview over a 6 week period. I sent my application informally to a friend who works at the company, who passed it on to his supervisor. He and the supervisor were very helpful at suggesting improvements to fine-tune my resume for the positions I was applying for. After about a week of emails, they said it looked good and would pass it on to the hiring manager.

A week later, I got an email from the hiring manager saying that I looked like a good candidate and that he would like to schedule a brief phone interview with me. This part took 30 minutes and were generic interview questions, as well as questions on projects I had worked on. The hiring manager was friendly and easy to talk to and said that the next step would be to do the technical screening, which "would be a breeze", and he recommended I go straight for a full-time position rather than an internship. I asked about not having much work experience in the field, and he assured me they don't expect college candidates to have any formal experience working as software engineers and that I would learn it in the first few months of training. I told him I was definitely interested in continuing the interview process. I said that I had Spring Break the following week and that I would be unavailable from Sunday - Wednesday so it would be best to do the interview either before or after that time. He said that was no problem and that he would talk to the technical interviewer and I would have a response by the weekend.

After not hearing anything back before my trip, I returned on Wednesday to see a handful of emails from HPE in my inbox along the lines of "Hey, so-and-so would like to schedule an interview with you, what time are you free?" followed by "Still haven't heard from you, please contact so-and-so to set up an interview time" and "Hi, this is so-and-so, are you still interested in applying for the job?". I was definitely annoyed by this, but I brushed it off and scheduled an interview for that Friday afternoon, for which I had to push my leave date for a second mini trip forward to make time for the interview. I got up Friday morning and find a new email saying something "urgent" has come up and that the interviewer would have to do an earlier time that day. This was the second time I was asked to reschedule a phone call with them (the first was with somebody else regarding application information) but I tried to be understanding and went with it. I received the phone call for the interview, and this is where the fun began.

The interviewer briefly introduced herself and began asking questions. The first one was on Java, which I was very surprised by, since neither of the positions I was applying for had any mention of Java. I explained to the interviewer that I don't have much Java experience and that I hadn't used the language in at least two years, to which I was met with silence and anticipation of my answer to "What are some advantages and disadvantages of Java?". I gave it my best attempt from what I could remember (fun details below).

I anxiously waited for a question on either JavaScript, C/C++, OOP, or even Linux, but it never came. Instead, I was asked questions about concepts I had either forgotten or never learned in the first place. The interviewer had a condescending demeanor and was very hard to talk to. Two-thirds of the way through the interview I wanted to stop her and ask to make sure she was interviewing me for the positions I had actually applied for, since the questions seemed more geared towards software engineering concepts than CS or general software development. After finishing the interview, the interviewer told me that she would pass the results on to the hiring manager and that I would hear back by the end of the day. Five days later, I received an email saying they found other candidates that better fit the job.

The whole process left a bad taste in my mouth and gave me a negative opinion of a company for which I had previously liked. After going through this process, I'm actually not upset about not receiving an offer (I was given a better offer from a company I liked more just thirty minutes after getting HPE's rejection email). However, I am very disappointed in how bureaucratic and impersonal the interview process was. Interviews are for getting to know a person - how they think, how they act in certain situations, and whether or not they will be a good fit for the company and the job. In addition, interviews give the candidate insight into the company. After the longest interview process of my life, I feel like I learned absolutely nothing about the people or the culture of HPE.

Interview Questions

• What are some advantages/disadvantages of Java?   1 Answer
    • What are linked lists most commonly used for?   1 Answer
    • Who performs unit testing?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about the software life cycle   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE (Cambridge, MA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

After filling in the online application, I had a telephone interview with the personnel department. This was followed by a telephone interview with a member of the technical staff. Then there was an online coding test, which in turn was followed by an additional interview. It was a perfectly pleasant and well-organized process, if somewhat drawn out.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mostly puzzles such as: can you think of an O(nlogn) solution for a particular sorting or merging problem.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE in May 2013.

Interview

three to four phone screens with basic algorithmic questions
    They were skype interviews. Mostly based on Data structures and algorithms. Please know our resume well. and know to answer questions based on your projects. This was a new grad interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE in January 2016.

Interview

I was asked a lot of questions about what I knew about and how I would solve problems. No one ever asked me any traditional technical questions involving algorithms or theoretical puzzles. Everything was straight forward and had a practical focus. Admittedly, I did not use all of the skills discussed in the interview process while working for them.

Interview Questions

• Various short questions about Linux utilities and common CS data structures.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE (Houston, TX (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

First there was a phone interview with personality questions. That was followed with another phone interview that focused on technical questions. Finally, there was an on site interview that consisted of both personality and technical questions. I met with a total of five people. One person for the two phone interviews and the other four during the on site interview.

Interview Questions

• There was a code review of old code that performed memory loads to check for failures.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE (Roseville, CA (US)) in May 2014.

Interview

Generally tested on networking fundamentals and a little about every required prerequisite for the specific position that I applied for. There were also questions on data structures and other general software engineering questions. Finally, they asked about any side projects and honors/accomplishments. It was nice to see that every part of my resume was valued and not only strictly my credentials or knowledge with specific programming languages.

Interview Questions

• Networking fundamentals, different networking layers, java/C++ questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hewlett Packard Enterprise | HPE.

Interview

Good and Natural. Interviewers were friendly. 3 rounds of interview. First round was coding and aptitude round. After clearing that next day it was face-to-face. Interviewee asked my area of interest.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.