Marks & Spencer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 5 Dec 2017

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Norwich, England).

Interview

After going through the online assessment process, I was able to book an interview for the next week.
    I went to the information desk and was greeted by an assistant manager who chatted and took me to the interview room. I was told about the role play activity, and was given about 5 pages of food to look at for the role play. The assessor left the room for 5 minutes, and when she re-entered it began. She asked for a product which was out of stock, and it was my duty to go through any options of phoning other stores, or suggesting alternatives. The role play goes on for about 10 minutes and the assessor is just looking for your customer service skills, and your ability to persuade and sell products. (My advice for this is to just go for it and be confident even if you're not - because realistically if you don't get the job you're never going to see this person again.)
    After this, the assessor left the room to write up her notes, and when she returned she was with the manager. She then asked questions which I have listed below, in a very friendly and nice manner. The interview was very relaxed, and both people made me feel comfortable.
    I was offered the job there and then, and was left to discuss uniform and shift pattern with the assistant manager.
    I have my induction in a couple of weeks!

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dorset, VT (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Dorset, VT (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

Following an online application process which took about an hour, I was offered an interview at M&S. The interview consisted of a role play where I was given a script and had to pretend to be a customer assistant. I then had an interview with one of the managers and was fortunately offered a job at the end if it.

Interview Questions

• Name a difficult situation where you had a positive effect   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Helens, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Saint Helens, OR (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

Appied on line was told straight away I was succesful was given an interview for mon 3/11/2014 I was told straight away I had passed the assessment they took my bank details ect recived a call this morning 05/11/2014 saying I had got the job

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (New York, NY (US)) in October 2012.

Interview

Interview involved questions about my background education and customer service experience. I was then asked to do a role play exercise where I was the shop assistant and the interviewer was the customer. Bit embarrassing but not too difficult.

Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Wakefield, England).

Interview

Online assessment takes about 40 mins, then asked to come for face to face interview, role play for 20 mins then another with interview with manager .Very friendly and helpful, told a basic outline of what the job entails, didn't ask anything about previous employment ?? which i found unusual, after both interviews was asked how flexible working hours can i do . brush up on your knowledge of M&S values and the 4is this is key, smile and show how helpful you can be , role play is ok but you need to read the notes throughly you only get 5 mins and its difficult to choose which you should priority

Interview Questions

• What inspires you and think of a time when you inspired someone   Answer Question

Shop Assistant (Temporary) Interview

Interview

I saw the job listed, and noticed that M&S release the rotas available for each job. The rota for my job was one which I was able to do around my college hours. I then completed a series of online quizzes, including role play situations. I passed all of that and was invited to interview. However, when I arrived on the day, I was left waiting for more than 20 minutes before being taken to my interview. A woman finally came and took me off, and she told me that the only jobs left were early morning shifts (from 6am or 5am) - which (a) I cannot do and (b) I did not apply for. I understand that they filled the positions, but think that they should either not include the rotas in the job description (if they are incorrect), or at the very least, should have told me that the position I applied for had been filled prior to me preparing for and then travelling to attend an interview for a job I cannot do and did not apply for

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Interview

Was 15 minutes late so I was already nervous and stressed out. Did the role play and it was absolutely horrendous! I had no Idea what I was doing and was put on the spot and kept waffling on. Basically I didn't get the job .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Cardiff, Wales).

Interview

Applied online, passed the initial tests so I was asked to book a time for an interview at the store I was applying to - Culverhouse Cross in Cardiff.

Firstly at the interview I had to do a role play, I'd read up about it on here beforehand and was a bit nervous but it was actually really straight forward and not hard. It involved dealing with a customer who wanted to buy school uniform for her children but everything she needed was out of stock. I apologised about the inconvenience then explained I could order it in for her from another local M&S or she could get it delivered home. Asked if she wanted help with anything else while she was instore etc.

Then was told I'd have a 1-to-1 interview with a manager, she came in and offered me a job straight away...didn't have any proper questions.

Unfortunately they weren't able to offer me the number of hours I wanted so had to turn it down which is a shame because everyone in the store was really welcoming and friendly.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

I Had an interview with two managers and was told to role play a situation where I had to up sell to a customer who was zebra blouse. Also i had to explain a time when I was put under pressure and how I overcame it.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Andrews, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Saint Andrews, Scotland).

Interview

Completed online assessment and was given an interview slot 3 days later. Role play exercise involved this fake store called ''Farmington Thornes'' or something and the interviewer is a customer who was looking for some red pepper and parma ham however its out of stock. You have 5 minutes to prepare yourself. You just have to handle the situation and suggest other alternatives, promote store offers etc etc. Many people on this website have described exactly what im talking about in much greater detail. The role play exercise is the same in nearly every store depending on the department you're in. I had a food role play because i applied to an M&S Simply Food. Afyer role play the assessor will go out and review how you did for a few minutes. They will then tell you there and then if you failed or not. If successful you'll go onto the face to face interview stage. I was asked questions on the ''4 i's''. That was fairly simply. Once i was told i had the job i looked over my shift and pay etc. I was made to feel very comfortable and relaxed.

Interview Questions

• When has there been a time you were innovative?
      When has there been a time it has been important to be in touch?
      When have you inspired someone?
      When has there been a time you've shown integrity?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.