Marks & Spencer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 18 Apr 2018

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Norwich, England).

Interview

After going through the online assessment process, I was able to book an interview for the next week.
    I went to the information desk and was greeted by an assistant manager who chatted and took me to the interview room. I was told about the role play activity, and was given about 5 pages of food to look at for the role play. The assessor left the room for 5 minutes, and when she re-entered it began. She asked for a product which was out of stock, and it was my duty to go through any options of phoning other stores, or suggesting alternatives. The role play goes on for about 10 minutes and the assessor is just looking for your customer service skills, and your ability to persuade and sell products. (My advice for this is to just go for it and be confident even if you're not - because realistically if you don't get the job you're never going to see this person again.)
    After this, the assessor left the room to write up her notes, and when she returned she was with the manager. She then asked questions which I have listed below, in a very friendly and nice manner. The interview was very relaxed, and both people made me feel comfortable.
    I was offered the job there and then, and was left to discuss uniform and shift pattern with the assistant manager.
    I have my induction in a couple of weeks!

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dorset, VT (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Dorset, VT (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

Following an online application process which took about an hour, I was offered an interview at M&S. The interview consisted of a role play where I was given a script and had to pretend to be a customer assistant. I then had an interview with one of the managers and was fortunately offered a job at the end if it.

Interview Questions

• Name a difficult situation where you had a positive effect   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Helens, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Saint Helens, OR (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

Appied on line was told straight away I was succesful was given an interview for mon 3/11/2014 I was told straight away I had passed the assessment they took my bank details ect recived a call this morning 05/11/2014 saying I had got the job

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (New York, NY (US)) in October 2012.

Interview

Interview involved questions about my background education and customer service experience. I was then asked to do a role play exercise where I was the shop assistant and the interviewer was the customer. Bit embarrassing but not too difficult.

Customer Assistant Interview

Interview

Handed in my CV to the local M&S food hall was called back around 3 weeks later as they had a vacancy in the cafe and was invited in for an interview. The interview lasted around 1 hour with a basic sales role play involving a customer who wanted information on a certain product (you were given prices to look at beforehand).

Cafe Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Edinburgh, Scotland) in April 2018.

Interview

I met the section co of the department and she was very approachable and made me feel at ease. She had me fill out a form with questions asking me about if I had experience with certain equipment/ roles. She then asked me basic questions and said that I was successful.

Store Operations Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elgin, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Elgin, Scotland) in April 2018.

Interview

Initially I took part in an online assessment where you answer customer scenario questions (its multiple choice and very straightforward) I immediately got told I was successful in this and was able to pick an interview time at the store I was applying for. My interview was around 6 days after I done the online assessment. When I arrived at the store I was given a visitors badge and taken upstairs to wait in the canteen until they were ready to interview me (I arrived about 12:45 and my interview was scheduled for 1, however didn’t start until about 1:15). I was taken into a small office with an employee and she talked me through how the interview would go. The first part of the interview was her explaining what the job entailed - this was very long winded and i stopped taking the info in about 5 minutes in. After this I was given a tour of the store / store room etc. The next part of the interview was an exercise where I was given a number of foods (she told me to imagine it was a delivery crate) and I had to organise them into 3 stacks depending on the type of food, the sell by date and the weight. I was given 5 minutes to do this, however it was probably more like 10 by the time she came back into the room. The task was super straight forward and I just had to explain why I organised them the way I did. I then got given 2 scenario based questions (I.e what would you do if you’re unloading a delivery and a customer comes over asking for help), again very straightforward you just have to be able to justify your answer. The final part of the interview is with the manager who asks typical interview questions about experience etc. I haven’t heard back yet If I was successful or not.

Warehouse Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in April 2018.

Interview

Got there about 10 minutes earlier than when I was supposed to. Signed in and got a visitor pass and was led up to the staff waiting room. Talked to the staff in there for about 30 minutes before the warehouse manager came in and apologised for the wait. He led me to the interview room and we dropped my bag off and had a 2 minute chat. After he gave me the tour and explained the role to me. Then I had to do a small sorting task where I had to organise how I would stock different items onto 3 different cages. He left and came back 5 minutes later. I didn’t finish it but he said no one had. We went through it and I explained my choices then did some customer service role play, another worker came in to scribe it. After that we did some basic interview questions. He then explained some stuff about the position and said I’d hear back within the week. It took about 1 1/2 hours and it was quite a nice, relatively relaxed experience. Don’t know whether I got it but it was a positive experience overall.

Customer Service Assistant (Cafe) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Aberdeen, Scotland).

Interview

After the online stage, I was invited to a face to face interview with the line manager. Before that I had a role play with another management representative and needed to fill out scenario-based questions and psychometric ones, as well.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England).

Interview

Face to face interview in a meeting room with a director. Lasted about an hour at the head office. Was relatively informal and conversational and for the most part it was not too stressful.

Interview Questions

• Why this company and why this role? What makes you stand out from other candidates?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Welwyn Garden City, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Welwyn Garden City, England).

Interview

Very good process
    It, first of all, started with a role play where you are given 5 minutes to read the scenario and make notes. The manager comes into the room and starts the role play and you have to fulfill their needs while demonstrating good customer service. If you are successful, you'll be invited to the next round where they ask questions relating to their values and your experience.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.