Capco Reviews

Updated Aug 2, 2021

Found 1,713 of over 2,012 reviews

3.9
Pros
  • "Pay is solid especially given the work life balance (rare in consulting)(in 105 reviews)

• "When your co-workers and managers end up becoming friends you can do life with outside of work - you know you're at a company full of great people(in 57 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard on some projects(in 58 reviews)

• "senior management often overlooks talent(in 43 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee
      Featured Review

Fun and Challenging

Dec 5, 2020 - Managing Principal in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Many opportunities to learn, interesting projects, and great leadership. Most of all hands down the best people to work with, fun, smart, and supportive.

Cons

Like all companies there will all be a little bit of politics to navigate but it’s minimal

2. 5.0

Great people focussed business

Jun 26, 2021 - Management Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity to work across different clients and capabilities, with an expanding Scotland client base.

Cons

Client work can sometimes be challenging in virtual environment, but good support is available.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Shambles

Jul 7, 2021 - Associate in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good engagement into the company. I joined on the ATP programme and met fellow associates who I am good friends with to this day.

Cons

Not sure where to begin. Capco is body shop specialist to the world of finance. They simply undercut other consultancies to push people into roles that no one wants. Therefore majority of projects are awful (>80%). Ever wondered why Capco are constantly on a hiring spree? That's because they have so many people leave each year they need to fulfil their spaces. Not to mention the politics with in the organisation, another reason to leave. You need to be on a project for plus 1 year to be promoted realistically as AO with a great relationship with your manager. If you don't have these two characteristics I’d advise finding a new company to work for or at the very least changing projects. I had an awful 3 years at Capco constantly moving from project to project and when I began looking for a new company the pandemic hit. I then had the worst manager of my career in my final project and despite my complaints to HR and senior managers I was simply ignored and no one wanted to take responsibility. As a result 5/6 of my team left when lockdown began to lift. Looking around my account, so many people have also left which shows the toxicity of the place. The whole corporate structure needs abolished and started again. I wish the firm was as good as its marketing team make it out to be.

Capco Response

Thank you for the positive feedback on Capco and our ATP programme. We strive to recruit smart colleagues, provide the support and resources for them to grow and work on incredible projects. Like any rapidly growing consulting firm, Capco has a variety of projects. The vast majority are high quality and truly engaging. For Capco our people are our most important asset and Capco secures competitive advantage from developing and promoting talent more quickly than our competitors. All our leaders are disproportionately focused on recognising and realising potential and rewarding success. More importantly, we can show success and outperformance in the sector, both in the proportion of junior staff choosing to build a rewarding career in Capco and our success in differentiating the firm through rapid promotion. With that in mind, It is clear from your comments that your experience of Capco may not have been typical, and we would urge you to speak with your coach and local HR contact so we can address your concerns, offer support and make improvements in your case and more generally, if necessary. We believe that feedback truly allows us to learn, grow and improve, so please share your experience with our local team.

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Interesting people but low calibre across the ranks

Jul 27, 2021 - Group Finance in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- People are generally friendly and approachable, however it may be a struggle to get work done when depending on other group or regional teams. -there is flexibility to work from home, however the work life balance is challenging. -you can get admin things done quickly (like hiring a contractor or resolving an IT issue) due to company size.

Cons

-Low calibre, most resources come from random small companies which is also reflected in the low salaries. -Institutionalized resources as people are not encouraged to rotate or attend trainings or challenge the inefficiencies. -Understaffed regional and group finance teams, means that everyone is overworked and morale is low, missing a strategic view of the business as they fight to reconcile numbers between outdated systems. -despite being a consultancy, there is not much investment in IT (software and hardware): used laptops and used phones is suboptimal or outdated accounting systems. Even with the pandemic, there was no consideration for staff to buy equipment (monitors, ergonomic chair etc). -Board has the 'complex of God', ie they are generally inaccessible and important decisions are never communicated to those affected (e.g. regional business reviews key decisions are not shared with neither regional ops and finance teams nor group teams). Also contrast between used IT equipment for staff/no spend on training and excessive T&E spending for the Board. -Male dominated environment with low diversity at upper and middle management. -Short termism . The impression is that the business operates for the next 15 days, there is hardly any medium term (next 12 months) or long term view (next 5 years). This is a reflection of Board's short termism and lack of a clear strategic path (except for maximising bonus just themselves and cutting down the staff bonus pool) -Publicly discussed 'cost synergies' from the recent acquisition is a clear message of the future of group functions. The Management's short termism is also reflected in the fact that they keep hiring people in the group functions even after the acquisition and the cost synergies announced..! -Get away with murder if you are cheap e.g. there is a case of a resource being rated under perform for some consecutive years, then goes into Performance Improvement Plan that they fail, and still they hang around....! -Not an issue but worth noting an odd trend: Associate directors and Directors are generally mid 30s and early 40s whereas managers and specialists can be late 40s and early 50s.

Capco Response

Thanks you for the positive views on our people but the broader comments do not align with the broader feedback we receive from across the firm. Salaries are generally regarded to be market-leading and highly competitive in the market. Most of our recruits come from the full range of consulting practices and disproportionately they are ex-Big 4 and Accenture staff looking for a chance to work on disruptive projects in an inclusive culture and with high degrees of empowerment. The firm invests heavily in IT, IT security and new technology generally. We support staff with the equipment they need to work from home if they are working remotely and we offer a broad range of technical and personal development. Capco was one of the first to shift its entire development curriculum online in response to the pandemic. The firm has enjoyed an extensive and uninterrupted period of rapid growth and increased market shares in a highly challenging market and this is attributable in part to leaders taking a strategic view and engaging a talented workforce behind it.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee

approach with caution

Jul 20, 2021 - Leadership
      Business Outlook

Pros

the culture is genuinely not corporate, pretty good training ground for graduates to gain knowledge and experience and there are some reasonable HR processes.

Cons

It can be a minefield for more senior folks - some do well, but others are exited for almost arbitrary reasons whilst others, many with some very dubious or outright mendacious personal qualities are retained. Many of the senior team are in constant fear of being sacked by the CEO.. Projects can be very hit and miss - some genuinely interesting work but more dull staff aug type work.

1 person found this review helpful

Capco Response

Thank you for your positive feedback on the different culture at Capco and the wealth of learning and work experience opportunities that are available to graduates and which will serve you well whether you decide to progress your career with the firm or elsewhere. The Capco senior leadership team share a vision for continuing to grow the firm and leveraging the opportunities afforded by our new business partners Wipro. The senior leadership team has been very stable for some time and, like the rest of the firm, it reflects our commitment to inclusion, transparency and empowerment. Following the reason transaction with Wipro, all our leaders have elected to remain with the firm, to work towards our continued success and to build a rewarding career at Capco.

6. 5.0

Great Place to Work

Jun 18, 2021 - Principal Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Interesting projects with flexibility in choosing your role and driving your own career path - Senior client visibility on most projects - Caring culture (diversity and inclusion, Be Yourself at Work) - Fast career progression for high performers - Competitive benefits package

Cons

- While we have flexibility in choosing our projects, sometimes internal mobility between projects can be limited, with some people being kept in role for a long time after they express a desire to do something new - The performance management process can favour longevity in role rather than being based purely on performance

7. 5.0

Great company culture

Jul 19, 2021 - Managing Principal in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Inclusive and supportive company focused on people development

Cons

growing rapidly and could lose personal feel

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for, would recommend

Jul 12, 2021 - Associate in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and team Great office Embraced remote working and really make efforts to keep everyone engaged virtually

Cons

Pay is lower than most competitors Sometimes work/life balance can be a struggle, especially during lockdown

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Professional company to work with Capco invest in their people.

Feb 9, 2021 - Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coming from a consultancy background then choosing to move into a permanent position can sometimes be tricky trying to find the right fit, however at Capco there are a lot of similar minded individuals who support each other and a variety of roles, project and clients so room to get involved with some exciting projects and initiatives. I’ve been in this current position for 6 months now and I can honestly say that the training and support from Capco is fantastic they really do invest in their people and go the extra mile to make sure they are developing you as an individual and that you’re views and opinions do matter, their are regular calls with all employees including the leadership team that keep everyone informed on updates, changes, community initiates and health and well-being. I joined Capco in the middle of the Pandemic where employees were working from home however with Capco technology and friendly support in place this went extremely smooth and I feel like part of the team. There are a lot of professional supportive people within Capco and I can honestly say that I have been made to feel really welcome and look forward to the new excited challenges ahead.

Cons

I can honestly say I don’t have any cons with Capco or Employees.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Challenging (good and bad)

Jul 4, 2021 - Managing Principal
      Business Outlook

Pros

CLIENT: some great clients, aligned to values which Capco aspires to as ingredients on the proverbial can. A great opportunity to work with tier 1/2 global clients across financial services in both banking and insurance. PEOPLE: met some great people, built some great, long lasting relationships with both employees and clients. Capco culture varies across domains and accounts, this is reflective of the different leaders who drive these areas. There are some phenomenal leaders who practice what they preach. And some fantastic team mates and peers who are altruistic and genuinely nice people. A good focus on ‘sheep dipping’ training of staff to the minimum standards of skills required (not sufficient) and some good team building. DELIVERY Genuine exposure to good reg, delivery, operational and digital initiatives across a number of key roles PMO, PM, BA, DA, design and engineering. Overall - good remuneration and standard benefits, okay work life balance (depends on role, client, domain and leaders) I would recommend to new joiners starting a career in consultancy or mid-tier looking for promotion.

Cons

CLIENT: some extremely challenging clients, toxic personalities who use Capco as a body shop and see consultants as a disposable resource to augment delivery without consideration to any well being of the staff. Isolated roles sold into areas to get a foot hold with limited consideration to the long term goals and development in areas. No one quantifies opportunities and says no - this is because the company values £ over core competency and people. This is driven by management who are happy to turnover staff with burnout and mental health issues to please clients for bottom line - I would refer to the retention rates which reflect this. PEOPLE: some incredibly difficult and bad leaders and consultants, it is hard to understand how these individuals continue to survive in the org. Says a lot about a cliquey culture that rewards perception vs. reality. .. a culture of no ownership with full reward, have seen partners who don’t sell or develop opportunities, managing principals who can’t deliver or sell and consultants who have never delivered a project pretending to be PM’s. Lots of politics and in-house fighting for sold and managed revenue. Leads to a culture of mistrust and selfishness. Lots of ego rather than focusing on teamwork and shared goals. DELIVERY: some horrendous roles, undersold and expected to grow areas that have no growth opportunities, set up for failure and then evaluated against the dream of the opportunity instead of the reality, end up taking one for the team and not being rewarded for risk that was taken. Often skills are mismatched to opportunities as we have sold into roles with no experience, lots of massaging of Cv’s to fit opportunities. Heavy management and oversight required to ensure delivery by large junior teams. No pipeline of the right people to meet demand. Overall: recruitment needs a makeover, performance reviews are obsolete and subjective (seriously rethink this) training and skills development needs work. Operations and IT is broken and needs investment. Stop cutting corners and costs.

3 people found this review helpful

Capco Response

Thank you for the positive feedback on our culture, training, market competitive pay and our teams at Capco and also on the quality of our clients. As a firm, we are very focused on extending our relations with blue-chip clients across Finance and creating a supportive and inclusive environment for our people, that allows all individuals to grow and be at their best. Clearly, with a premium client base, some of our customers will be demanding but, at Capco, we look to build open and sustainable relations based on the quality of our service and understanding of the industry. Whilst we are unashamedly growing the firm to create value and opportunities for our people, we are also keen to ensure that we do not compromise our focus on Financial Services or on the welfare and progression of our people. Our retention rates are comparable with those in other successful consulting firms. Whilst we take performance management seriously at Capco, we are also keen to see that our processes are fairly applied so we identify our best people and accelerate their progression. The firm has grown rapidly in recent years, not least because of a strong track record in delivery and our capacity to deliver strong teams and a strong pipeline of quality individuals both internally and from the broader market. Operations and IT always benefit from more investment, but the firm has plans in place to ensure we adopt the right operating models underpinned with technology that supports our commitment to innovation and collaboration with clients. It is clear from your comments that your experience of Capco may not have been typical, and we would urge you to speak with your coach and local HR contact so we can address your concerns, offer support and make improvements in your case and more generally, if necessary. We believe that feedback truly allows us to learn, grow and improve, so please share your experience with our local team.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,713 Reviews