Capco Reviews

Updated 9 Jul 2020

3.9
Capco CEO Lance Levy
Lance Levy
Pros
  • "Felxible working hours which helps in work life balance(in 91 reviews)

• "When your co-workers and managers end up becoming friends you can do life with outside of work - you know you're at a company full of great people(in 50 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Brilliant Place to Build Your Career!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fantastic supportive and friendly team. Many opportunities to build your career, if you are willing to get involved and work hard.

Cons

As with other consultancies, work life balance can be a challenge.

2. "Be yourself at work"

Current Employee - Partner in London, England

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

"Be yourself at work" - it's a nice simple summary of the ethic and it's one that everyone takes very seriously. Your opinion counts, your own preferences for clients and types of work matter, no-one is going to try and turn you into a "cookie-cutter" generic consultant. You are valued as an individual. Capco is big enough to have some seriously heavy-hitting work, clients and expertise, while being small enough to have plenty of empty spaces to explore - you never really tread on anyone else's toes here. This is all supported by some really impressive perks. It may sound trivial, but I can cycle or run into work, and there's a service to wash my kit for free during the day - I can go running along the canal at lunchtime too, and being in Shoreditch there are a lot of lunch options. These nice details matter when you need to make the most of every minute of the day. Perhaps most importantly there's a genuine focus on wellbeing - lots of employers say they've got D&I and mental health support, but we have real, onsite, deeply qualified counselling support, not just a Bupa phone line. Consulting can be a tough game and it's good to see this level of dedicated support.

Cons

The cons are much the same for any consulting company - there's a strong commercial focus, a lot of pressure to be client-facing and profitable, and it's a competitive environment.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work. Good people and family atmosphere. Good career progression opportunities and great benefits

Cons

Work/life balance could be better managed

4. COVID-19

"Brilliant place to work! Excellent graduate programme and a fun yet hard-working atmosphere!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

- Excellent entry-level / graduate programme (ATP - Associate Talent Programme). - Great exposure to senior members of the firm (Directors / Partners) even when you are a graduate. - Performance reviews are held every 6 months and promotions are done based on merit not time at level. - Lots of client interaction even for new joiners and junior members of the firm. This is often not the case at other consultancies. - Very interesting projects within finance and a top-tier client base. - Excellent career support and trainings provided at every level. - Competitive pay. In many instances, compensation is higher at Capco than it would be at the Big 4 due to Capco's lower overheads (given its smaller size and focussed financial services client base). - Even though you often work at client site, Capco hosts social events for its consultants on a very regular basis. Project teams are also structured in such a way that you almost always work closely with Capco colleagues as well as clients. - Majority of projects are London based and therefore business travel is limited. - Great interview process. Very fair process and interviews / assessment centres felt a lot more personal and informal than at other companies. This allows plenty of opportunity for candidates to ask questions about life at the firm. - Very modern and easily accessible office in Shoreditch. - The firm and its clients are very well set up for remote working. This has been great during COVID-19.

Cons

No negative aspects that I can think of!

5. "Thoroughly disappointing"

2.0
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people: would say the majority of employees are genuinely very nice. The mental health initiatives are excellently run and employees are encouraged regularly to engage with them. Comfortably the best I've seen at any company. SOME interesting projects. Sadly a very small minority. Tends to be a good work/ life balance- not often encouraged or forced to work crazy hours, usually a good dose of perspective that work isn't everything. Good Christmas parties and a fair few social activities if you're interested.

Cons

Terrible senior/ middle management, who largely adopt an entirely revenue-focussed approach. As it is the lifeblood of consulting, clearly 'boots on the ground' is an important metric of success and driver of business. But you need to remember your employees are people too. Stop shoehorning people into roles, and when you need to, be honest about it. People will understand pragmatism; they won't understand the need to continually lie. To describe Capco as a consultancy is, quite frankly, a misnomer. As I said previously, there are one or two good projects, but the vast majority are service-level roles that essentially the banks don't want to do themselves. It's outsourcing with bells on. I honestly can't believe the sheer number of monotonous and banal roles that 18 year old school leavers should be doing, not consultants. The most irritating thing, though, is the never ending chasing of promotions- at a massive detriment to personal development. It's staggering the number of senior and principal consultants who have achieved their rank with ostensibly zero financial services knowledge or useful skills, they've simply played the game well. When being hounded about roles the carrot of promotion is the only thing dangled, never what you could learn or how it could fit into your career path. And it's very, very clear when you look at the middle management.

Capco Response

July 1, 2020Web Editor

Given the current business environment amidst a global pandemic, leaders at Capco have focused on ensuring the financial stability of the business, as well as protecting the health, welfare and jobs of our people. In addition, like all consultancies, our firm has a range of projects at all levels, and even in some of the more routine projects, there are still opportunities for people to learn, develop specialist capabilities and secure advancement. In addition, we offer hundreds of online learning and development opportunities via our online training portal, and through regular virtual business town halls and skills-based training sessions. We curate the online content into tailored Capco learning playlists, and we have already converted more than half of our 64 UK classroom courses into virtual training sessions in the last 3 months, so we’ve retained our strong focus on L&D throughout the pandemic. If there are specific skills or capabilities that you want to develop, please reach out to your coach to discuss. At Capco we are proud of the emphasis we place the promotion and career progression of our employees. One of the key differences we look to foster in our firm is accelerated career progression in contrast to the time-served approach in competitors. We subject all promotions to rigorous review from a diverse range of stakeholders to ensure the progression is fair and justified. We are confident that those promoted are worthy of their advancement and the performance of our business and its growth reflects this.

6. "Overall view"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Capco full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good client base Good leadership Good opportunities Opportunity to see and experience various clients and sides of business Seniors are close to employees regardless of the grade Supportive and committed company

Cons

Instability not because of the company but the nature of the business Work for the client and need to add on the extra work for the company

Continue reading
  7. "Smart people; clever ways of working; exciting work; very revenue driven."

Former Employee - Managing Principal in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very clever and talented people, willing to help (for the most part) and share knowledge and experience. Good level of autonomy - as long as you're bringing in the revenues. Opportunities to work on some really different and exciting engagements.

Cons

In too many instances, role was more 'resource augmentation' than consultancy. Performance objectives drive parochial and self-serving behaviours - especially by the more aggressively competitive staff - without much consideration for the development of the team and team members.

Capco Response

June 23, 2020Web Editor

Thank you for the positive feedback on our people and the quality of work at Capco. We look to foster a culture of empowerment so we attract and retain talented people. The firm does have some staff augmentation projects but our portfolio is largely balanced between advisory, digital and technology consulting and some staff augmentation. Our performance assessment framework gives the scope for employees to express themselves through different dimensions. Many employees choose to prioritise high levels of contribution through creating value with our clients. However this can never be to the detriment of teaming and working in partnership with others, which mirrors Capco’s ethos of working in partnership with our market leading clients from across the Finance sector.

"Fake 5 star reviews"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Capco full-time

Pros

It was ONCE an exciting place to be in. Not anymore. You are making good use of the benched resources by asking them to write flowery and fake 5 star reviews.

Cons

Tunnel vision of top management... how to line up their own pockets... rest is secondary.

"Be yourself"

Current Employee - Management Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Freedom to be yourself, both culturally and in the way we do business.

Cons

Need to be a self-starter, passionate and hungry to get on.

"Fantastic Opportunities to Learn and Progress your career"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Great Training opportunities. Extremely friendly staff and values employees. Company led through an open and positive leadership style.

Cons

None to be honest. As a consultant you move around different firms so if you are not up for change then it may not be considered a con for you, but thats actually a pro for networking and my preference.

Found 1256 reviews