Sage Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sage Reviews

Updated 21 Jan 2020

3.7
Pros
Cons
  • "The biggest source of frustration has to be the lack of proactive planning from upper management(in 60 reviews)

• "Not many, mainly lack of communication from senior management(in 42 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"We’ve got our mojo back!!!"

Current Employee - Information Technology in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In the last 10 months or so, we have refocused, realigned, got very clear on our purpose, been clear on the lenses we will make our choices on (customers, colleagues and innovation) and we’ve mobilised and changed the way we are thinking about what we do. In truth it’s been difficult but ten months in its fantastic to see the energy and passion it’s brought back into the fabric of who we are, what we do and why we do it. The energy is infectious and it’s even more exciting to think about what we can achieve together. Things that I love Sage foundation Inclusivity Training for managers Removing old 1970s style performance reviews and replacing with agile, development led iterations Realigned bonus Investment in things that matter and how i can see the link to the strategy Matched behaviours with our mission - it’s no longer corporate words on a slide deck - it’s tangible

Cons

Structurally we need to make sure we don’t over complicate and we MUST continue to simplify the experience we all have when at work. Legacy ways of working need reinvented to adjust to the new thinking. Things we need to change Complicated sign off processes More accountability deeper in regions Clearer frameworks for people to work in - guides not rules Stop and start projects more clearly - get really decisive on our priorities

Advice to Management

Keep going, Be bold and don’t be afraid or tentative about making the changes we need. There is a much deeper trust in the business today than you might imagine and people will appreciate the clarity.

Sage2019-08-02
  2. "Good place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Feel valued by leadership teams - Huge amount of training available - Flexible working environment

Cons

- Confused messaging through tiers of managers - Hot desking in certain areas kills productivity

Advice to Management

Abandon poorly thought out initiatives such as unnecessary hot desking.

Sage2020-01-21
  3. "Good opportunities"

Former Employee - Graduate
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Sage full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a graduate there was a lot of opportunity to grow and develop.

Cons

I worked there through a big period of change when the direction was less clear.

Sage2020-01-21
  4. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Associate Test Engineer in Gosforth, North East England, England

I have been working at Sage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone has been warm and welcoming making this a great office environment/company to work in. The benefits are good and you can tell the company really values their employees which is important to me.

Cons

I've not come across any cons during my time at Sage.

Advice to Management

Manager and employee should continue with a transparent relationship.

Sage2020-01-03
  5. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Marketing Apprentice

I have been working at Sage full-time for less than a year

Pros

- culturally diverse - vibrant work environment - stays focused on strengths - values employee's contributions

Cons

My first impressions of the company are really positive. They have looked after me from the beginning and chosen their employees judiciously . I haven't yet had the chance to meet senior management but thus far are the most considerate company I have worked for and hope the remaining part of my apprenticeship is just as enjoyable.

Sage2020-01-03
  6. "I definitely recommend working at Sage!"

Current Employee - Developer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great family culture Proactive approach to inclusivity Lots of opportunities to develop skills through virtual learning sessions Flexible working hours - I do compressed hours Interesting job role that's busy Lots of free parking spaces

Cons

Starting to feel more of a valued individual and less of a number (good progress for such a huge company!) - this has got much better in the last 12 months. It could be a lot better though if Sage keep on the track they are on now with their colleague focus. Some managers are still not fully invested in Sage's LEAD monthly review programme - this can make it hard for those in their teams to have the right conversations. I'd like to see more accountability and conversations with managers who are not using this programme properly.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in colleagues - the more engaged we are the harder we will work and more productive we will be. The onsite activities like Kids@Sage and pizza for the floor and offsite colleague activities like Bongo's Bingo and summer fete go down very well. For me these activities help give Sage the edge. Also, give more visibility to jobs internally to encourage internal progression. If you're not proactively looking for roles every week it can be very easy to miss out on opportunities that come up. It would be good to be able to get notifications weekly of jobs of interest internally or reminders on what is on offer.

Sage2020-01-02

"Flat-lining and not progressive"

Former Employee - Marketing in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Sage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some good people working here and Sage Foundation does some great work for local communities.

Cons

It feels like it's just existing and not really moving forward. It's not a particularly exciting place to work. It's very political in some departments where people seem to be trying to survive rather than thriving which can create pockets of toxicity across the company.

Sage2020-01-13
  8. "Terrible employer, terrible customer service"

Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Gosforth, North East England, England

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are forks in the canteen.

Cons

Management use a mixture of forced micro management and bullying tactics to force advisers to sell as much as possible. A very intense focus on getting through as many calls as possible to raise as many sales leads as possible which comes at the expense of customer service and the mental health of it's advisers. My colleagues regularly cry as they buckle under the pressure of horrid management tactics that make advisers feel utterly horrible if they do not get many sales leads every day of the week. There is no focus on how well an adviser helps customers, quality of advice and conversation, instead it is a desperate sales atmosphere. Not nice at all, hence the massive staff turnover.

Advice to Management

Stop running a sweaty desperate micro managed sales call centre which wreaks havoc on the mental health of your employees and penalises customers. Treat your employees with a lot more respect. Get rid of the cringey huddle's which are supposed to support colleagues but are instead used to ply pressure on staff daily to sell more. cheap desperate tactics.

Sage2020-01-17
  9. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Senior Data Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Sage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Brilliant company to work for. Be prepared to have influence regardless of your role or seniority. Couldn't recommend it highly enough as a place to work.

Cons

No downsides at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, the level of engagement of every colleague I've met in my time here is brilliant. Thank you

Sage2019-12-10

"Okay, if you like sales mixed with service"

Current Employee - Tech Support in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Sage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good starting wage, career progression opportunities if you stick in for years.

Cons

They are pushing sales targets on all inbound staff including tech support which seems reductive to the service being offered.

Advice to Management

Keep sales on a sales line. Still promote sales from a Tech perspective but don’t target these employees on a monthly amount of sales as this is not their specialty and they will quickly become disillusioned and leave.

Sage2019-12-16